BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-09 10:13 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Karen - wow, jellyfish stings and you still won your AG, big kudos!  Great job, more proof that hard work (training) pays off.  I hate jellyfish.

Darren - so cool to have us manatees 'with' you on your bike, great idea!

2016-05-09 11:05 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Good luck racers. Karen, what's your race number?Happy birthday for tomorrow Judi.As some people that follow me on Instagram are aware, I'm nearing the end of my bike build, still a few things to tweak, but getting there. I had a delivery this morning that I've been waiting for weeks for. It's only a stem bolt/cap, but I think it'll add immeasurable value to the bike. What do you think? :D

Love it!

2016-05-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Okay, I am over a week recovered (physically and mentally) from my 50k. The "what's next" thoughts have been haunting/lingering/tormenting since before the race. My overall, yet vague, decision is to train for a 50 mile run race this fall while also training for my metric century ride in October. Then I would, at some point, transition to IM training for a race sometime in 2017.

Choosing a 50 miler has been difficult, mostly because of schedule conflicts. I've narrowed it down to half a dozen or so and sent the list to DH. Those range from late September to early December.

Then deciding on an IM my top 3 are, mostly because of ease of travel, IMAZ, Boulder, and IMTX. I fear course changes or even cancellation of IMTX based on the last couple years. Coach Michi favored Boulder, Coach Scott favored IMAZ.

Thinking out loud. Anyone else want to help me brainstorm? 

ETA: I've also considered hiring a coach for either or both of these segments.

Edited by rrrunner 2016-05-09 11:17 AM
2016-05-09 11:48 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Okay, I am over a week recovered (physically and mentally) from my 50k. The "what's next" thoughts have been haunting/lingering/tormenting since before the race. My overall, yet vague, decision is to train for a 50 mile run race this fall while also training for my metric century ride in October. Then I would, at some point, transition to IM training for a race sometime in 2017.

Choosing a 50 miler has been difficult, mostly because of schedule conflicts. I've narrowed it down to half a dozen or so and sent the list to DH. Those range from late September to early December.

Then deciding on an IM my top 3 are, mostly because of ease of travel, IMAZ, Boulder, and IMTX. I fear course changes or even cancellation of IMTX based on the last couple years. Coach Michi favored Boulder, Coach Scott favored IMAZ.

Big plans!  I love it!

Last fall, I was talking to someone (Monica?) and said something about how I love/hate race planning season.  So many possibilities! So hard to choose!

2016-05-09 11:56 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner Did finally figure that out-couldn't get the race site to load for ages. Then I kept thinking, there's some computer mistake, maybe I had a penalty I didn't serve, etc. etc. Finally feel better--I have the AG trophy and the World's spot and only a few jellyfish scars and some pretty tired legs to show for it. Thanks to all who might have been tracking or supporting me, and for everyone's support over the years.....I train in pretty major isolation in Vietnam (though triathlon has gotten more popular in recent years--just met a young woman from my neighborhood who just missed the podium in 25-29 and beat me by 8 minutes--she trains in the evening so we've never met!) and the support I get online has really been a godsend.

Great job! There are some truly amazing and inspirational athletes in this group. Way to go!

Edited by awm007 2016-05-09 12:00 PM
2016-05-09 12:05 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It seems from a little quick research that IMAZ and IM Boulder are two very different animals.  

Boulder bike description: "The 112 Mile multi-loop course is entirely within Boulder County and features amazing mountain views with some of the same roads trained on by many of our local world champion triathletes. The course has a handful of decent climbs but has a lot of fast and flat sections to keep you moving."

IMAZ bike description: "The relatively flat three-loop course heads out of Tempe and zig-zags out to the Beeline Highway, which gradually climbs approximately 10 miles through the Sonoran Desert to the turnaround just before Shea Boulevard. Athletes then return to Tempe Beach Park to start their second and third laps."

Boulder run description: "This is a two loop course with 3 out and backs on each loop. We call it the "Flux Capacitor”. This course features everything about Boulder we love. A well shaded bike path and plenty of spectator viewing points for your family and friends. There will be aid stations approximately at every mile."

The run for IMAZ is listed as: "The run course is flat and spectator-friendly with a few small rollers, as athletes wind their way around Tempe Town Lake and through Papago Park. Athletes should be sure to pack a visor or hat in their T2 bags, as the course offers very little shade."

* All quotes taken from the respective official IM website course description

Which one appeals to your strengths?  It sounds like a bit of cool (I'm guessing, or at least not scorching) vs hot, hilly vs. flat.

If it were me making the decision, it would be Boulder all the way.  

2016-05-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Did finally figure that out-couldn't get the race site to load for ages. Then I kept thinking, there's some computer mistake, maybe I had a penalty I didn't serve, etc. etc. Finally feel better--I have the AG trophy and the World's spot and only a few jellyfish scars and some pretty tired legs to show for it. Thanks to all who might have been tracking or supporting me, and for everyone's support over the years.....I train in pretty major isolation in Vietnam (though triathlon has gotten more popular in recent years--just met a young woman from my neighborhood who just missed the podium in 25-29 and beat me by 8 minutes--she trains in the evening so we've never met!) and the support I get online has really been a godsend.

I am soooo happy and proud!!! This is absolutely wonderful.
You and your achievements (and training, and consistency, AND being able to do all of these in such an isolated settings) are huge inspiration and motivation for all of the newbies here )))
I hope you're feeling well today! (especially your legs..)
2016-05-09 12:35 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by DaveL

After a 1 week hiatus I am back. The kayak trip certainly had some challenges including long portages through snow due to trees across the river, some long slogs across windy lakes, freezing temperatures at night and also some really magnificent rapids that made it all worth while. I havent been on my bike in a week and am now 6 behind on my "ride 366" plan but am confidant I can make that up over the next few weeks. I did add some pictures and video to my logs if anyone is interested. Please let me know if the videos dont work as I had linked them to my facebook page and am not sure how well that works.

I will have to catch up on everyones posts but trust everyone is doing well. GO Manatees!

The pictures and video are fantastic )) I love kayaking (it's my third love after triathlon and hiking). I am waiting for my kids to get older, so we can have a more adventurous trip (so far we did plenty of canoe camping trips along Wisconsin River, but that's a good start.)
Are you planning to have more kayak trips? Sorry if you mentioned it and I missed that.
2016-05-09 12:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

It seems from a little quick research that IMAZ and IM Boulder are two very different animals.  

Boulder bike description: "The 112 Mile multi-loop course is entirely within Boulder County and features amazing mountain views with some of the same roads trained on by many of our local world champion triathletes. The course has a handful of decent climbs but has a lot of fast and flat sections to keep you moving."

IMAZ bike description: "The relatively flat three-loop course heads out of Tempe and zig-zags out to the Beeline Highway, which gradually climbs approximately 10 miles through the Sonoran Desert to the turnaround just before Shea Boulevard. Athletes then return to Tempe Beach Park to start their second and third laps."

Boulder run description: "This is a two loop course with 3 out and backs on each loop. We call it the "Flux Capacitor”. This course features everything about Boulder we love. A well shaded bike path and plenty of spectator viewing points for your family and friends. There will be aid stations approximately at every mile."

The run for IMAZ is listed as: "The run course is flat and spectator-friendly with a few small rollers, as athletes wind their way around Tempe Town Lake and through Papago Park. Athletes should be sure to pack a visor or hat in their T2 bags, as the course offers very little shade."

Which one appeals to your strengths?  It sounds like a bit of cool (I'm guessing, or at least not scorching) vs hot, hilly vs. flat.

The Boulder bike course is hillier than it lets on. That discourages me but wouldn't be a deal killer if I decide to go that way. IMAZ is in Tempe Towne Lake which is a bit nasty, but Boulder Res can be gross too.

Between the two I probably lean toward IMAZ because Phoenix in November is likely cooler than Boulder in August.

Boulder would, however, give DH the option to hang out with family and friends while I'm s/b/r-ing. 

2016-05-09 12:54 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

The Boulder bike course is hillier than it lets on. That discourages me but wouldn't be a deal killer if I decide to go that way. IMAZ is in Tempe Towne Lake which is a bit nasty, but Boulder Res can be gross too.

Between the two I probably lean toward IMAZ because Phoenix in November is likely cooler than Boulder in August.

Boulder would, however, give DH the option to hang out with family and friends while I'm s/b/r-ing. 

You could visit North Carolina in October and visit Janyne. Where is/would ds be based around that period you're thinking of racing?
2016-05-09 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Also consider the time of year that you'd be training for the event.  Would you rather do your big training in May-July or September-November?

Do you care if the race it wetsuit legal or not?  

2016-05-09 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

You could visit North Carolina in October and visit Janyne. Where is/would ds be based around that period you're thinking of racing?

I think that she was looking for something driving distance from New Mexico.  B2B is in October and I don't think that the full is sold out -- yup, General Entry is opened (the half only has Foundation slots). 

ETA: Were you thinking 2016 or 2017?  It looks like AZ only has Foundation slots for 2016.

Edited by jmkizer 2016-05-09 1:11 PM
2016-05-09 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Also consider the time of year that you'd be training for the event.  Would you rather do your big training in May-July or September-November?

First I'll answer Darren, I did consider traveling to be with a Manatee, or DS2. The thing with Janyne's area is I don't know how the humidity would affect me, if it would be a factor later in the year. I struggled with a 4 miler in the humidity last summer   I also thought about waiting to see if DS2 ends up in the NW and picking one there. But that brings a whole new level of unknowns.

As for time of year. I like Texas, mostly because it's near my 50th birthday. Yes, I'll be fitty next year, hence the IM. I think no matter what I choose I'll have long runs/rides during the hot summer months. Which is probably good for acclamation.  If I started training shortly after my 50 miler it would give me about 9 months to prepare for Boulder, and longer for IMAZ.  My bike and run should be fine since that's what I'll be focused on this year, then I'll just have to start swimming

2016-05-09 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I think that she was looking for something driving distance from New Mexico.  B2B is in October and I don't think that the full is sold out -- yup, General Entry is opened (the half only has Foundation slots). 

ETA: Were you thinking 2016 or 2017?  It looks like AZ only has Foundation slots for 2016.

I'm not opposed to flying, just trying to avoid it with the bike and all. How is the humidity that time of year? That might be nice if DS2 is still on that side of the country.

I'm thinking 17. IMAZ always sells out. Coach Scott is going over to volunteer this year and suggested I go too

2016-05-09 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

First I'll answer Darren, I did consider traveling to be with a Manatee, or DS2. The thing with Janyne's area is I don't know how the humidity would affect me, if it would be a factor later in the year. I struggled with a 4 miler in the humidity last summer   I also thought about waiting to see if DS2 ends up in the NW and picking one there. But that brings a whole new level of unknowns.

As for time of year. I like Texas, mostly because it's near my 50th birthday. Yes, I'll be fitty next year, hence the IM. I think no matter what I choose I'll have long runs/rides during the hot summer months. Which is probably good for acclamation.  If I started training shortly after my 50 miler it would give me about 9 months to prepare for Boulder, and longer for IMAZ.  My bike and run should be fine since that's what I'll be focused on this year, then I'll just have to start swimming

The humidity machine turns off around Labor Day -- usually gone by mid-September.  Humidity would not be a factor in October. I am assuming that WTC will keep the October date and that they will continue to be respectful of what the tides are doing when they select a weekend.

2016-05-09 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm not opposed to flying, just trying to avoid it with the bike and all. How is the humidity that time of year? That might be nice if DS2 is still on that side of the country.

I'm thinking 17. IMAZ always sells out. Coach Scott is going over to volunteer this year and suggested I go too

TriBikeTransport.

http://www.tribiketransport.com/services/reservations?action=shops&event_id=a0HA000000NWJqyMAH

Pooh, looks like they do Pack and Ship from NM. That's annoying. 

2016-05-09 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

psst.  Texas has humidity too.

2016-05-09 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hah, yes it does, which is another reason IMTX is pretty much off the list. I like the idea of B2B.

Bike transport it pricey! I sent DS2's bike to GA for $150!

As for wetsuit or not, I prefer to have it but not having it isn't a deal killer.

2016-05-09 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hah, yes it does, which is another reason IMTX is pretty much off the list. I like the idea of B2B.

As for wetsuit or not, I prefer to have it but not having it isn't a deal killer.

Yeah, it's like flying a third person.  If you use TBT through a shop, they pick up the bike and put it on a truck (not disassembly) so it's tuned, etc just the way you want it.  We used TBT for Vneman once and the other time I had it packed and used Fedex to ship to a shop in CA where they put it back together and tuned it for me.  I did not want to to 112 miles on a bike that I assembled myself.  That seemed .... potentially problematic.

2016-05-09 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

IM or Full Iron Distance?

2016-05-09 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

How'd you feel about renting a bike for the race?

2016-05-09 1:58 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

How'd you feel about renting a bike for the race?

Hmmm, I don't know. Never really thought about that as an option.

2016-05-09 3:07 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Ha! I was gonna say, Texas is not the race for you then! And with questions about the race's future, definitely take it off the list.

Either Boulder or IMAZ would be great places to do an Ironman, don't think you could go wrong with either.
2016-05-09 3:25 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black

Ha! I was gonna say, Texas is not the race for you then! And with questions about the race's future, definitely take it off the list. Either Boulder or IMAZ would be great places to do an Ironman, don't think you could go wrong with either.

I will consider IMTX duly scratched from the list

2016-05-09 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Oh! Mary G! DH, DS1 and I discovered an authentic Polish deli here in Albuquerque!!!! We were so excited! We went yesterday. DH had some blood sausage, he said it was just like Busha used to make. DS1 and I had pierogi, so yum!!!!!!!!!

The owner is originally from Poland, then lived in Chicago for a few years then somehow landed in ABQ. The deli on the other side of town but somehow I think that will always be DH's suggestion for dinner out now.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.