Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-08-15 4:03 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not sure it's fun but lots of OCD packing. Checklists and obsessing about weight, volume, and exactly what HAS to go in the carry-on (if it would be a disaster if the airline lost it). At least Andreas is already en route. (I bit the bullet and used TriBike Transport. Just can't deal with babysitting a bike while traveling with Mom and doing some tourist things in addition to a race.)

Plus a metric century (non-competitive club ride) tomorrow AM.

We've used Tri bike transport within the US but never overseas. How much was it? I packed my bike up this weekend as well. (ok my husband and my friend Lee did it). I am flying with it on Delta. I could ONLY fit the bike in there. I think I'll take my shoes and race stuff with me on my carry on. I hope my bike makes it!

2023-08-15 4:03 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not sure it's fun but lots of OCD packing. Checklists and obsessing about weight, volume, and exactly what HAS to go in the carry-on (if it would be a disaster if the airline lost it). At least Andreas is already en route. (I bit the bullet and used TriBike Transport. Just can't deal with babysitting a bike while traveling with Mom and doing some tourist things in addition to a race.)

Plus a metric century (non-competitive club ride) tomorrow AM.

We've used Tri bike transport within the US but never overseas. How much was it? I packed my bike up this weekend as well. (ok my husband and my friend Lee did it). I am flying with it on Delta. I could ONLY fit the bike in there. I think I'll take my shoes and race stuff with me on my carry on. I hope my bike makes it!
2023-08-15 8:11 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Still here. Heel started stiffening up after my bike sessions last week so gave it a rest again, which was a shame as it felt as though it was stretching it out after the 1st rides. Added to that, me and the kids went to a comicon on Saturday (Daughter wanted to meet the Salvatore brothers), I woke up on Sunday unable to walk without a limp again. I will be off to Rome for 2 weeks this Wednesday, so will try and rest it there, but I imagine a fair bit of walking will be involved, so I imagine it's not going to get rested as much as I think it will be.

Ugh! Take care!

2023-08-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001
Originally posted by Hot Runner Not sure it's fun but lots of OCD packing. Checklists and obsessing about weight, volume, and exactly what HAS to go in the carry-on (if it would be a disaster if the airline lost it). At least Andreas is already en route. (I bit the bullet and used TriBike Transport. Just can't deal with babysitting a bike while traveling with Mom and doing some tourist things in addition to a race.) Plus a metric century (non-competitive club ride) tomorrow AM.

When I used Tri Bike Transport, it was very convenient.  The cost of TBT was less that additional bag fee + additional rental car fee.  I agree on the careful inspection (on both the race end and the return end) but I'd do that after a flight as well.  TSA is not any more gentle with bikes that TBT.

2023-08-15 8:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This is interesting, in a "state of the Ironman" kind of way -- only nine full distance Ironman branded events in North America for 2024

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

https://www.ironman.com/na-open-2024#IRONMANraces

2023-08-15 9:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

This is interesting, in a "state of the Ironman" kind of way -- only nine full distance Ironman branded events in North America for 2024

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

That is interesting. The list looks so short!

FYI we're also considering Wisconsin 70.3 next year.....

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2023-08-15 9:17 AM

2023-08-15 9:21 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

It does! 

Are people just less interested in the full distance.  I mean, that's the case with this group.

Have people just gotten off the treadmill, so to speak?  I read something recently that the cycle of do an Ironman, sign up for an Ironman one year in advance, complete Ironman, sign up for event one year in advance was "broken" by COVID and folks are continuing to do endurance events but maybe looking at gravel or swim-run or something else that strikes their fancy instead of doing 140.6 on repeat.

Has Ironman successfully rebranded Ironman 70.3 to "Ironman?"

Anyway, I'm not sure that this speaks to triathlon as a sport so much as Ironman as a company.  Spring and Olympic distances should probably have always been the bread and butter of the sport.

2023-08-15 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

It does! 

Are people just less interested in the full distance.  I mean, that's the case with this group.

Have people just gotten off the treadmill, so to speak?  I read something recently that the cycle of do an Ironman, sign up for an Ironman one year in advance, complete Ironman, sign up for event one year in advance was "broken" by COVID and folks are continuing to do endurance events but maybe looking at gravel or swim-run or something else that strikes their fancy instead of doing 140.6 on repeat.

Anyway, I'm not sure that this speaks to triathlon as a sport so much as Ironman as a company.  Spring and Olympic distances should probably have always been the bread and butter of the sport.

Now I need to know how many IM races there used to be! Off the top of my head the only race missing from the link is Louisville and that has been gone for multiple years.

I recall that it wasn't too long ago that marathons (maybe running in general) went through a big decline in participation. At the time the conventional wisdom was the 20-30 somethings found events like Spartan races and cross fit to be more exciting, so they weren't signing up for marathons. I know that the numbers in my running program dropped by hundreds in the time period and have not gone back up.  So, I wouldn't be surprised to find IM is going through a similar thing. Plus, the cost to do a full is just ridiculous. When IM started its sign up early and you can transfer or get a partial refund policy you had to figure its numbers were down. 

2023-08-15 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

It does! 

Now I need to know how many IM races there used to be! Off the top of my head the only race missing from the link is Louisville and that has been gone for multiple years.

I recall that it wasn't too long ago that marathons (maybe running in general) went through a big decline in participation. At the time the conventional wisdom was the 20-30 somethings found events like Spartan races and cross fit to be more exciting, so they weren't signing up for marathons. I know that the numbers in my running program dropped by hundreds in the time period and have not gone back up.  So, I wouldn't be surprised to find IM is going through a similar thing. Plus, the cost to do a full is just ridiculous. When IM started its sign up early and you can transfer or get a partial refund policy you had to figure its numbers were down. 

I got at least 18

1. Ironman Alaska in Juneau, Alaska
  2. Ironman Arizona in Tempe, Arizona
  3. Ironman Boulder in Boulder, Colorado
  4. Ironman Canada in Penticton, Canada (went to Whistler, came back)
  5. Ironman Chattanooga in Chattanooga, Tennessee
  6. Ironman Coeur d'Alene in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  7. Ironman Cozumel in Cozumel, Mexico (this is a licensed event, may be back in 2024???)
  8. Ironman Florida in Panama City Beach, Florida (Haines City, Florida in 2018)
  9. Ironman Lake Placid in Lake Placid, New York
  10. Ironman Los Cabos in Los Cabos, Mexico
  11. Ironman Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky
  12. Ironman Maryland in Cambridge, Maryland
  13. Ironman Mont-Tremblant in Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada
  14. Ironman Texas in The Woodlands, Texas
  15. Ironman St George in St George, Utah
  16. Ironman California in Sacramento, California (was Santa Rosa and then came back as Sacramento, not sure where Tahoe fits in?)
  17. Ironman Tulsa in Tulsa, Oklahoma
  18. Ironman Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin
  19. Des Moines
  20. Indiana
  21. Muskoko
  22. North Carolina (full discontinued)
  23. New York
  24. Waco

Edited by jmkizer 2023-08-15 10:05 AM
2023-08-15 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

It does! 

I got at least 18

7. Ironman Cozumel in Cozumel, Mexico (this is a licensed event, may be back in 2024???)
  16. Ironman California in Sacramento, California (was Santa Rosa and then came back as Sacramento, not sure where Tahoe fits in?)
  19. Des Moines
  20. Indiana
  21. Muskoko
  23. New York
  24. Waco

Now that you've listed them all, I remember them

2023-08-15 11:19 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

There is a lot of talk that Lake Placid will be ditched after next year.  2024 is the 25th anniversary of the race so they'll hold that, but after that, possibly the chopping block.  Shame, it's such a beautiful course.

2023-08-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

There is a lot of talk that Lake Placid will be ditched after next year.  2024 is the 25th anniversary of the race so they'll hold that, but after that, possibly the chopping block.  Shame, it's such a beautiful course.

...and Maryland going away whenever that contract is up.

2023-08-16 4:27 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

It does! 

I got at least 18

19. Des Moines
  20. Indiana
  21. Muskoko
  23. New York
  24. Waco

although on your list - should count as discontinued
Lake Tahoe
Santa Rosa

I'm still shocked that IMMT is done. I love that one and had planned to go back eventually.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2023-08-16 4:40 PM
2023-08-16 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

It does! 

I got at least 18

19. Des Moines
  20. Indiana
  21. Muskoko
  23. New York
  24. Waco

although on your list - should count as discontinued Lake Tahoe Santa Rosa I'm still shocked that IMMT is done. I love that one and had planned to go back eventually.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to count them. Was it Tahoe > Vineman/Santa Rose > Sacramento or are they three different things? 

Same with Penticton > Whistler > Penticton.  All Canada or three distinct events.

At any rate, that's a lot of discontinued events!

2023-08-16 5:55 PM

User image

Expert

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

I suspect they make more money on the half distance races. It looks like they are going with the standards that sell out or close to it every year and expanding the half distance.
You have to figure they are renting half of the cones and they pay half of the time on the course and easier to get volunteers for half a day than for a full day.
2023-08-17 7:58 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JBacarella

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

I suspect they make more money on the half distance races. It looks like they are going with the standards that sell out or close to it every year and expanding the half distance.
You have to figure they are renting half of the cones and they pay half of the time on the course and easier to get volunteers for half a day than for a full day.

Lucky for ironman there are 2 on that list that I haven't done and would consider

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2023-08-17 7:58 AM

2023-08-17 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

I suspect they make more money on the half distance races. It looks like they are going with the standards that sell out or close to it every year and expanding the half distance. You have to figure they are renting half of the cones and they pay half of the time on the course and easier to get volunteers for half a day than for a full day.
Lucky for ironman there are 2 on that list that I haven't done and would consider

Wait! I thought that you said no more 140.6 events in your future!

2023-08-17 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

I suspect they make more money on the half distance races. It looks like they are going with the standards that sell out or close to it every year and expanding the half distance. You have to figure they are renting half of the cones and they pay half of the time on the course and easier to get volunteers for half a day than for a full day.

Hmm.  I see Canada, California, and Wisconsin on that list for you. That's more that two!  (I think FL would be a PitA to train for from CT but that's just me.)

2023-08-17 1:20 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

HA!

I said "Would consider!"

Phil is already telling people that he's doing California in 2025 LOL
2023-08-17 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

HA! I said "Would consider!" Phil is already telling people that he's doing California in 2025 LOL

LOL

What's "Phil" doing in 2024?

2023-08-17 1:50 PM

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

Checking in after a whirlwind of a trip recently. I spent 10 days driving my daughter from AK all the way down to Pocatello Idaho for her second year of college. We had a good dad/daughter trip, saw some great sites through Canada, and did a little fly fishing along the way. Got back Sunday morning at 3 a.m. by flight, and then had to catch a flight at 5 a.m. Monday morning to travel way north for work. Glad to hear about all the racing folks are doing.

2023-08-17 1:51 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

Checking in after a whirlwind of a trip recently. I spent 10 days driving my daughter from AK all the way down to Pocatello Idaho for her second year of college. We had a good dad/daughter trip, saw some great sites through Canada, and did a little fly fishing along the way. Got back Sunday morning at 3 a.m. by flight, and then had to catch a flight at 5 a.m. Monday morning to travel way north for work. Glad to hear about all the racing folks are doing.

Thanks for checking in! That sounds like some kind of trip!

2023-08-18 9:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

HA! I said "Would consider!" Phil is already telling people that he's doing California in 2025 LOL

LOL

LOL

Western MA 70.3 (June)
Oregon 70.3 (July)

possibly WI 70.3 (Sept)

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2023-08-18 9:15 AM
2023-08-18 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Texas
  • Lake Placid
  • Canada
  • Wisconsin
  • Maryland
  • Chattanooga
  • California
  • Florida
  • Arizona

LOL

LOL Western MA 70.3 (June) Oregon 70.3 (July) possibly WI 70.3 (Sept)

Nice lineup!

2023-08-18 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 19-20
Jim - Bay to Beacon half marathon

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33