BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-25 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
Have a good weekend (and week) everyone.  Im going to Mexico for the next week (hoping I dont catch the Swine Flu). 

Good luck everyone who is racing.

2009-04-25 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Right, as Steve said, the table is simply a way to contact any member of our group for whatever purpose without having to search for said person through our 30+ pages of threads.  It does not mean you are not part of the group if you are not or choose not to be on the table.  You'll see these tables pop up regularly when you join a challenge (do that too).

Here's how the Goals section of my training log appears:

2009-04-25 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2109760

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
smoore3 - 2009-04-25 9:55 AM Have a good weekend (and week) everyone.  Im going to Mexico for the next week (hoping I dont catch the Swine Flu). 

Good luck everyone who is racing.

Yeah heard about the Swine Flu on the news... SCARY!?!  Stay 6 feet away from people, and don't shake hands!  Then you should be ok? !!! Enjoy the week!
2009-04-25 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Heeey guys, so I just finished the spring at Gustavus (St. Peter, MN)

Everything went well until the run hahaa

i haven't received the splits, but these times are based on my watch

8 min 5 sec swim

39min 7 sec bike

40+ minute run hahaha
  My IT band flared up a mile in and I limped to the finish whoop.

It's a bit frustrating, to say the least, but it was still a lot of fun.  I do hope that PT works.  Has anyone had problems with this before?

2009-04-25 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2109891

User image

Master
Small Town
Israelg48 - 2009-04-25 2:38 PM

Heeey guys, so I just finished the spring at Gustavus (St. Peter, MN)

Everything went well until the run hahaa

i haven't received the splits, but these times are based on my watch

8 min 5 sec swim

39min 7 sec bike

40+ minute run hahaha
  My IT band flared up a mile in and I limped to the finish whoop.

It's a bit frustrating, to say the least, but it was still a lot of fun.  I do hope that PT works.  Has anyone had problems with this before?

Congrats and good job on the race!!  You finished under pressure when you could have called it a day,  at minimum it is an experience that you can learn from and better yourself before your next race.

I haven't had any real IT issues, so I'll leave that for someone who knows.
2009-04-25 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Okay, I've got to share.  I just got home from my first olympic distance race and I kicked butt.  Keep in mind, it's all relative.  I had an original goal of 2:30, but since I have injured my Achilles, I decided that I was going to take it easy on the run and bump it to 2:40.  I finished it in 2:38 and that is without pushing anything.  It was 90 degrees when I started the run, and that  fatigued me pretty quickly.  Other than that, it wasn't too bad.  The swim and the bike were actually pretty easy.  It was my second OWS ever and I did 1500 in 27 minutes.  I was unsure of my biking skills, but managed to put in 1:12 for 24 miles.  I did the 6.25 mile run in 51:52.  That is pretty good for me, considering I am not a natural runner.  In case you can't tell, I'm pretty excited!

2009-04-25 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2109472

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
JHagerman - 2009-04-25 7:01 AM Sorry Tony,

I know I've missed a few people. 

So Everyone else, if you didn't send me a PM requesting to be on the table, then I didn't add you - not to be mean, it is just easier for me to see who needs to be added based on my messages, than to look through 30 pages of forums to find who is in the group.

PM me and I'll add you and post a new table.  You'll still follow the same basic directions above to get the table posted into your log.

PICK ME ...PICK ME

Missing in action a couple of days and get left in the dust.  Please, Please, Please don't leave me out.  I promise I will be a good boy and post more often
2009-04-25 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2110086

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-25 4:03 PM Okay, I've got to share.  I just got home from my first olympic distance race and I kicked butt.  Keep in mind, it's all relative.  I had an original goal of 2:30, but since I have injured my Achilles, I decided that I was going to take it easy on the run and bump it to 2:40.  I finished it in 2:38 and that is without pushing anything.  It was 90 degrees when I started the run, and that  fatigued me pretty quickly.  Other than that, it wasn't too bad.  The swim and the bike were actually pretty easy.  It was my second OWS ever and I did 1500 in 27 minutes.  I was unsure of my biking skills, but managed to put in 1:12 for 24 miles.  I did the 6.25 mile run in 51:52.  That is pretty good for me, considering I am not a natural runner.  In case you can't tell, I'm pretty excited!

Good Job Chris!  Sounds like you did kick some booty.  Did you use a wetsuit for your swim?
2009-04-25 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Very Niice on the Oly Chris!
2009-04-25 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2109456

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-04-25 6:32 AM
Plainsman AU - 2009-04-24 5:18 PM

I have been out of pocket the last few days and have really missed checking in and keeping up with what is going on.  I hope everyone that is racing this weekend has a good one!  Good luck to everyone...Sorry, no one needs luck...everyone is WELL TRAINED right? 

My family and I went to the lake this afternoon and had to come back for tee ball practice, but I wanted to share my open water swim with everyone.  First OWS swim today, but man it is so cool having something to do at the lake but drink beer.  That will come tonight!  Below is a pic off my dock, and I am looking forward to swimming many miles here this summer.  I really enjoyed swimming this afternoon.  Trying to get used to sighting etc, but was able to get about a mile in this afternoon. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

The lake is really beautiful and reminds me that come July ours should be thawed in Northern WI .  There are still ice fishermen on it this weekend.  How big is the lake?  It is so calm. how clean?  We can basically see to the bottom of ours,  but unless it is early am chop is a factor.

Suzy

Frozen Still?  Ours is still cold, but actually comfortable after a few minutes.  We have an awesome lake...750 miles of shoreline, and it is really clean and clear.  I can see mussell shells off the dock at 12 feet.  Did another OWS this morning and my wife and son followed me on the paddle boat.  Pretty funny...and I actually had to slow and wait for them.  I am really liking this open water stuff, as I think it is lending itself to my finding better technique to make the distance a little easier. 
2009-04-25 5:30 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-25 3:03 PM Okay, I've got to share.  I just got home from my first olympic distance race and I kicked butt.  Keep in mind, it's all relative.  I had an original goal of 2:30, but since I have injured my Achilles, I decided that I was going to take it easy on the run and bump it to 2:40.  I finished it in 2:38 and that is without pushing anything.  It was 90 degrees when I started the run, and that  fatigued me pretty quickly.  Other than that, it wasn't too bad.  The swim and the bike were actually pretty easy.  It was my second OWS ever and I did 1500 in 27 minutes.  I was unsure of my biking skills, but managed to put in 1:12 for 24 miles.  I did the 6.25 mile run in 51:52.  That is pretty good for me, considering I am not a natural runner.  In case you can't tell, I'm pretty excited!

Nice work man!!! 1st Oly or 1st tri?? We want pics too!

2009-04-25 5:36 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-25 4:03 PM Okay, I've got to share.  I just got home from my first olympic distance race and I kicked butt.  Keep in mind, it's all relative.  I had an original goal of 2:30, but since I have injured my Achilles, I decided that I was going to take it easy on the run and bump it to 2:40.  I finished it in 2:38 and that is without pushing anything.  It was 90 degrees when I started the run, and that  fatigued me pretty quickly.  Other than that, it wasn't too bad.  The swim and the bike were actually pretty easy.  It was my second OWS ever and I did 1500 in 27 minutes.  I was unsure of my biking skills, but managed to put in 1:12 for 24 miles.  I did the 6.25 mile run in 51:52.  That is pretty good for me, considering I am not a natural runner.  In case you can't tell, I'm pretty excited!

YIPEE!  A great race for one of our homies (is that how you spell it?)!  Nice Job! So what was the most suprising part? how did T1 and T2 go? any tips?
2009-04-25 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Pics will certainly come a little later.  Everything went exactly as planned.  I had no surprises.  T1 and T2 were great.  T1 was a little slow because of a previous wetsuit incident where I really tried to rush getting it off.  This time, I decided to be calm and deliberate and it worked!  It is real weird, I took it easy on all three areas trying to pace myself and I came in two minutes below my goal time.  I really could have pushed the swim and the bike harder, but not the run.  I am going to visit my doc who is sending me for PT until my HIM training begins in three weeks.  I need to get my Achilles healed! 

I will say, the two biggest surprises were: #1 ~ How straight I swam.  I was only off my mark during my third leg of my swim.  The others, I really did not even need to sight.  The second surprise was my avg. speed on my bike:  19.78 mph.  I feel if I even tried to push the hills at all, I could have been 20-21 avg.  I am normally a masher, but today I was a spinner.  All in all, my first tri of the season and my first olympic ever, I'm satisfied. 

Barry~  I did use a wetsuit.  I tried to rent one from XTERRA and they covinced me to buy the model I rented from them last year.  (New of course)  $65 to rent or $145 to buy!  I still have Augusta that will use it for as well.  I couldn't resist.
2009-04-25 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2110265

User image

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-25 6:59 PM Pics will certainly come a little later.  Everything went exactly as planned.  I had no surprises.  T1 and T2 were great.  T1 was a little slow because of a previous wetsuit incident where I really tried to rush getting it off.  This time, I decided to be calm and deliberate and it worked!  It is real weird, I took it easy on all three areas trying to pace myself and I came in two minutes below my goal time.  I really could have pushed the swim and the bike harder, but not the run.  I am going to visit my doc who is sending me for PT until my HIM training begins in three weeks.  I need to get my Achilles healed! 

I will say, the two biggest surprises were: #1 ~ How straight I swam.  I was only off my mark during my third leg of my swim.  The others, I really did not even need to sight.  The second surprise was my avg. speed on my bike:  19.78 mph.  I feel if I even tried to push the hills at all, I could have been 20-21 avg.  I am normally a masher, but today I was a spinner.  All in all, my first tri of the season and my first olympic ever, I'm satisfied. 

Barry~  I did use a wetsuit.  I tried to rent one from XTERRA and they covinced me to buy the model I rented from them last year.  (New of course)  $65 to rent or $145 to buy!  I still have Augusta that will use it for as well.  I couldn't resist.

Awesome job.  Way to start off your season (and inspire the rest of us).  Congrats on a job well done!
Now take it easy and get that foot healed!  
2009-04-25 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2110265

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-25 6:59 PM Pics will certainly come a little later.  Everything went exactly as planned.  I had no surprises.  T1 and T2 were great.  T1 was a little slow because of a previous wetsuit incident where I really tried to rush getting it off.  This time, I decided to be calm and deliberate and it worked!  It is real weird, I took it easy on all three areas trying to pace myself and I came in two minutes below my goal time.  I really could have pushed the swim and the bike harder, but not the run.  I am going to visit my doc who is sending me for PT until my HIM training begins in three weeks.  I need to get my Achilles healed! 

great job on your first olympic!  It looks like you're a natural! 
2009-04-25 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
Choo- Choo... "Now arriving at Affirmation Station"

OK folks, it's me... the Super Newbie   I signed up for the group but have been pretty quiet (OK, totally quiet) because I'm sort of in awe of everyone. Is there anyone else in the group who hasn't done a race yet?  I have two this summer and I'm rediculously excited.  Reading all the posts I realize I have soooooo much to learn but I'm trying to take it all in and just keep moving.

So, here's my big issue and I'd sure love to hear from any of you:  I AM THE WORLDS WORST RUNNER.  I swam competetively in high school and college and absolutely love the water. I feel great on my road bike (although my clipless pedals and I are working out a truce).  However, the run just eludes me.  I have been following the Couch 2 5K plan and finally ran my first 5k  (don't laugh - I know it was just a 5k but that was one of my best days ever!)  The issue is that it feels awful Yell     I feel like I'm all over the place - will my body ever figure out a more graceful way to move?  I lost 65 pounds over the past 2 years so maybe my body is saying "what the heck are you doing to me now?"  I read Slow Fat Triathlete and am trying the positive affirmations she suggests (i.e." you can run in straight line with success").

Guess I'm just hoping to hear from anyone in the group who started with zero running experience/talent and can share a bit about how they "got into running".

Also, I have a new Garmin Forerunner 305 and am trying to figure out the integration with BT so it's not yet showing my workouts for the past few days. If any of you have a 305, do you use the Motion Based softwatre or another similar program?

Thanks everbody!  I am so inspired by all of you.

Shannon

2009-04-25 8:25 PM

User image

Hey Shannon,  I am not too far ahead of you.  Last year was my first year doing triathlons and I have only done three.
So, not a lot of experience here.  I do agree with you, there are folks here with tons of experience - and what's cool is everyone is so nice and willing to help/share any insight and expertise.  I've learned most everything I know about tris from this web site.  
I'll let the experts chime in on the running.  I will say I've heard a lot of folks say that swimming is the hardest piece of this sport to "learn" ... so you are ahead of many when they just started out. 
2009-04-25 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Shannon, I also only have 2 tri's under my belt.  I started running races 3 years ago and just started cycle racing this year.

I have the Fr305.  I use SportTracks to corral my data.  It's free and the options are far better than Motion Based.  It takes a little while to figure out. 

You'll get it this year and soon, you'll be kicking butt!
2009-04-25 11:52 PM
in reply to: #2110425

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

KauaiShan - 2009-04-25 7:54 PM Choo- Choo... "Now arriving at Affirmation Station"

OK folks, it's me... the Super Newbie   I signed up for the group but have been pretty quiet (OK, totally quiet) because I'm sort of in awe of everyone. Is there anyone else in the group who hasn't done a race yet?  I have two this summer and I'm rediculously excited.  Reading all the posts I realize I have soooooo much to learn but I'm trying to take it all in and just keep moving.

So, here's my big issue and I'd sure love to hear from any of you:  I AM THE WORLDS WORST RUNNER.  I swam competetively in high school and college and absolutely love the water. I feel great on my road bike (although my clipless pedals and I are working out a truce).  However, the run just eludes me.  I have been following the Couch 2 5K plan and finally ran my first 5k  (don't laugh - I know it was just a 5k but that was one of my best days ever!)  The issue is that it feels awful Yell     I feel like I'm all over the place - will my body ever figure out a more graceful way to move?  I lost 65 pounds over the past 2 years so maybe my body is saying "what the heck are you doing to me now?"  I read Slow Fat Triathlete and am trying the positive affirmations she suggests (i.e." you can run in straight line with success").

Guess I'm just hoping to hear from anyone in the group who started with zero running experience/talent and can share a bit about how they "got into running".

Also, I have a new Garmin Forerunner 305 and am trying to figure out the integration with BT so it's not yet showing my workouts for the past few days. If any of you have a 305, do you use the Motion Based softwatre or another similar program?

Shannon

Shannon, I'm almost there with you.  I did a super sprint two years ago, but nothing since.   I have done two road bike rallys in April (second was today).  I also struggle with the running - I can find all sorts of excuses not run...

2009-04-26 12:13 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I completed the Muenster 40 mi bike course today.  It was a test of mental toughness.  I was suprised by the hills.  Add in the wind and it was brutal! It became as much a mental challenge as a physical one for me.  Based upon my Tour of Dallas three weeks ago, I thought I would finish the course in 2 30 hours to 2 45 or so.  Instead it took 3 48.  Quads locked up several times on hills. 

I will have to start working on hills.  And lose weight!  My friend Johnny beat me by about 20 minutes.  I asked him how much more fun would he have had on the hills if he had a back pack with another 30 lbs in it.  Pool tgmorrow!

2009-04-26 12:25 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Happy Birthday Suzy and Kim!

Great job to all the racers this weekend! I'm looking forward to checking your logs and reading the RR!

My races went pretty much as expected. Slower than last year, but not terrible. Will do the RR Monday. It's been a really busy weekend and I'm exhausted! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

2009-04-26 6:34 AM

User image

Champion
KauaiShan - 2009-04-25 7:54 PM Choo- Choo... "Now arriving at Affirmation Station"

Shannon

Shannon

Most of us in this group are VERY new to triathlon. While I have done marathons, I've done a whopping one mini sprint and two sprints! Join in and ask questions, we will learn together.  Never feel stupid or inexperienced.

Second, I am totally in awe of someone who can swim like a fish.  You are so lucky and your knowledge could probably help us alot.  Most people don't do triathlons because their swim stinks so you are ahead of the pack.  I suppose you swam everyday at Brenecke's Beach-totally jealous!!!

Re: your running.  It sounds like your issues are mainly form related?  If so, you have a couple of options.  You can get a gait analysis done with a PT or even a Fleet Feet type store.  You could also join a beginners runners group.  We have many in Madison.  They are often affiliated with a running or tri store.  The other option is to be a voracious reader (which it sounds like you are doing), search out articles on running form and drills.  That is what I did when I started out seven years ago.  I could not run for more than a couple of minutes without pooping out.  I did the run/walk program for my first marathon.  Do what it takes to get better and chunk it out that way you won't get discouraged.  I need to do the same thing for swimming!

I do have the Forerunner 305.  I don't typically upload my data to BT , but here is the article that tells you how to do it.  I use motionbased mainly, but will soon start using Training Peaks.

PS. My favorite form fixers start with the arms--make sure you are moving them front to back and not across your body.  Those who have a lot of cross over waste energy and probably feel off balance. My second piece of advice is to tuck the pelvis, it will allow you to stand more upright and get your legs under your torso better.  Finally, don't overstride.  Your feet should not land too far out in front you.  It causes a breaking action which often leads to shin pain.  The goal is higher turnover.

Suzy

We look forward to hearing more from you.  Where are those swimming tips?

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-04-26 6:39 AM
2009-04-26 6:35 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Happy B-day Suzy & Kim.  Great job this weekend everyone!

Shannon...I have one tri under my belt.  Far from knowing what the heck I'm doing. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-04-26 6:39 AM
2009-04-26 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2110625

User image

Champion
ashort33 - 2009-04-26 12:13 AM

I completed the Muenster 40 mi bike course today.  It was a test of mental toughness.  I was suprised by the hills.  Add in the wind and it was brutal! It became as much a mental challenge as a physical one for me.  Based upon my Tour of Dallas three weeks ago, I thought I would finish the course in 2 30 hours to 2 45 or so.  Instead it took 3 48.  Quads locked up several times on hills. 

I will have to start working on hills.  And lose weight!  My friend Johnny beat me by about 20 minutes.  I asked him how much more fun would he have had on the hills if he had a back pack with another 30 lbs in it.  Pool tgmorrow!

Nice job in tough conditions!  If you never walked up the hills you were victorious.  Just think you already got your really long ride in for the week! 

Suzy
2009-04-26 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Shannon

Ok Shannon ... you are ahead of me if you have run a 5K.  I have NOT had a race yet.  Just missed one that I was planning, and have one no on May 30.  I feel you on the running thing.  I started off in October and really could not run a mile, and now I still feel like running is my WEAKNESS.  I have built my mileage up quite a bit, but still feel like my legs are getting beat up when I do more than 7 or 8 miles.  Still working on the distance. 

Just remember to take it slow and keep your heart rate in zones 1 and 2 and just work on being out there.  If you are having to walk a bit to keep yourself aerobic, then that is ok.  Soon the walking will turn into a slow jog, and then that slow jog will turn into a slow run.  I remember when I first started, there was a lady that used to walk around the field where I was "running" .  I remember passing her and my "run" and her walk were about the same speed

Hang in there!

Edited by Plainsman AU 2009-04-26 8:42 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383