BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-13 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2788852

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
DougRob - 2010-04-13 11:56 AM My situation is different than most of yours. My wife has no interest in doing a triathlon. She IS supportive of my training and has come to see me race with the kids.

Years ago she trained for and ran the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in VA Beach. I supported her and ran along side her the last mile to see her home. She has been heavily into tennis since we moved to NC. It is the only thing I have ever seen bring out her competitiveness. She spends hours working on line-ups, reviewing other teams, etc. I support her in this and I have come to see her play more than once. I am very impressed with her play.

Yesterday she had a match and when I left for work in the AM my 9 year old son was coughing. After I got through my morning stuff I called to her to see if Jake had to stay home from school and to offer to come home and watch after him while she played. Turns out he was OK and went to school, but she really appreciated it, and the fact that I knew how important the tennis match was to her.

We do not swim, bike or run together, but we do go for weeekly walks for some alone time. I do not know what I would react like if she wanted to race triathlons. I would support her, but it would be strange with regards to training.

Whatever your partner is into, as long as it is legal, being supportive is the right way to go.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^
awesome, doug! you hit the nail on the head!

btw, i have a 98 ford explorer sport and it is still going strong...our other car is a mini cooper

wow, Linda, that is one big vehicle!

2010-04-13 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
I get the spouse/training partner dilemna.  Hubby started all of this several years before I did, and I did resent the time it took away from me and the kids.  I also had some health issues that completely precluded me from most exercise.  so.  It was rough.    Made the call 18 months ago to give this all a try (pun intended!) for many reasons....health and to spend time time with Hubby were both way up on the list.  We are BOTH way too competative for our own good!  I swam for years, and we do most of our swimming together.  I'm a bit faster, but it the pool it doesn't matter much.  I do LIKE being a bit faster!  The run, he's got me by at least 1 min/mile.  We do some running together, but we've evolved into separate workouts, and that's been good.  Biking, he kicks my butt.  He's been training in a tri group part of the time, that I joined, and there are enough others slower than him that I can stay in the BOP, and that's fine.  It's incentive, that's for sure.

Overall, it's been wonderful.  After 24 years of marriage, it's something else we share.  He gets it now, more, what the time issues were/are, because I'm doing it, too!  We do have to juggle family committments more now that we both want to get out....

He coaches me - and I take it rather well.  Sometimes I just ignore him.  Wink  Ups and downs to living with your coach!!  Speaking of which, I have to run an easy 4 before he gets home......

Oh, and I get to take my coach with me to Boston and CdA!!

Edited by velcromom 2010-04-13 4:55 PM
2010-04-13 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
great.  now i have a canadian prank calling me.  but i am happy to report trevor does not sound THAT bad on the phone. 

lieto is gonna rule macca.
2010-04-13 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2789148

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-13 1:37 PM i drive an F250 and a suburban.  my truck is my truck.  nothing better than it, well except the price of diesel..  but that suburban sure is nice. much better for driving the kiddos around in. 

Mrs. Birdy drives a Toyota Sequoia and we love it.  Fits everyone, everything, and drive's well.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Toyota... ANYTIME!!!

Edited by swbkrun 2010-04-13 5:37 PM
2010-04-13 5:40 PM

User image

Master
run done.  stinky, slow & yukky.  taper run.

I also drive a Sequoia.....love it.  2006 with 75,000 carpool, tri & ski miles on it.  Got a rack for the back - holds skis or bikes.
2010-04-13 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2789423

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-13 4:18 PM great.  now i have a canadian prank calling me.  but i am happy to report trevor does not sound THAT bad on the phone. 

lieto is gonna rule macca.

For the record fatty and i have a lonestar bet:

the bet is:

If Macca beats yours truly by less time than Lieto beats Fatboy(on ago forward now know as 'the loser'), then fatboy will buy yours truly what fatboy cherishes:

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

2010-04-13 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2789446

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
swbkrun - 2010-04-13 4:36 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-13 1:37 PM i drive an F250 and a suburban.  my truck is my truck.  nothing better than it, well except the price of diesel..  but that suburban sure is nice. much better for driving the kiddos around in. 

Mrs. Birdy drives a Toyota Sequoia and we love it.  Fits everyone, everything, and drive's well.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Toyota... ANYTIME!!!

kid on the way... 50/50 chance you'll be in a Sienna in no time!
2010-04-13 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2787972

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
jvanis - 2010-04-13 7:47 AM

A question for the group, especially those with spouses that Tri.  How do you handle the fitness differences between you and your spouse?  I cannot seem to convince my wife that I can go out and ride my bike without needing to push the pace all the time.  She always thinks she is holding me back, and doesn't want it to feel like a leisurely ride for me while she is using it as a workout.  I try to explain that I still enjoy riding with her and can work on techniques if she wants us to both be "working out" 

Any thoughts?  Unfortunately I caught the bug and now its biting.

Whatever you do don't get caught doing one legged drills on the bike.  You WILL get your butt kicked!  You are in a tough spot. A lot of us train w/ our spouse, or have the same interest.   It sounds to me like you may have the right attitude about it, she is just having a tough time with it.  ALTHOUGH let's be honest..... Most men don't exactly deliver the message the right way !  I am guilty of that.

Kim used to kick my butt in every discipline of the sport and as time went on and we started a family I didn't need to make sacrifices (and in turn got faster), but she sure as hell made a ton!  I understand that and appreciate it.  She knows that when we are out together it can be an all out sprint, a jog, a stroll, a walk.... WHATEVER- She makes the call and I am just happy to be out there with her---- REGARDLESS of what kind of "workout I have planned!"  Some of the greatest memories we have; have been during some workouts on our vacations, stress days, heavy downpours, freezing tempurates, cougar sightings on a 5:00am run.... They are all memories.  Not the fact that we cranked out 300 watts for 10 minutes, and ran a sub 7:00 minute mile, etc. 

Hopefully you get my point.  Cherish those moments.  When your by yourself, or with your friends TRAIN, but when your with your spouse, ENJOY IT---even if it is a good butt kicking.
2010-04-13 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2789473

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2010-04-13 3:48 PM
jvanis - 2010-04-13 7:47 AM

A question for the group, especially those with spouses that Tri.  How do you handle the fitness differences between you and your spouse?  I cannot seem to convince my wife that I can go out and ride my bike without needing to push the pace all the time.  She always thinks she is holding me back, and doesn't want it to feel like a leisurely ride for me while she is using it as a workout.  I try to explain that I still enjoy riding with her and can work on techniques if she wants us to both be "working out" 

Any thoughts?  Unfortunately I caught the bug and now its biting.

Whatever you do don't get caught doing one legged drills on the bike.  You WILL get your butt kicked!  You are in a tough spot. A lot of us train w/ our spouse, or have the same interest.   It sounds to me like you may have the right attitude about it, she is just having a tough time with it.  ALTHOUGH let's be honest..... Most men don't exactly deliver the message the right way !  I am guilty of that.

Kim used to kick my butt in every discipline of the sport and as time went on and we started a family I didn't need to make sacrifices (and in turn got faster), but she sure as hell made a ton!  I understand that and appreciate it.  She knows that when we are out together it can be an all out sprint, a jog, a stroll, a walk.... WHATEVER- She makes the call and I am just happy to be out there with her---- REGARDLESS of what kind of "workout I have planned!"  Some of the greatest memories we have; have been during some workouts on our vacations, stress days, heavy downpours, freezing tempurates, cougar sightings on a 5:00am run.... They are all memories.  Not the fact that we cranked out 300 watts for 10 minutes, and ran a sub 7:00 minute mile, etc. 

Hopefully you get my point.  Cherish those moments.  When your by yourself, or with your friends TRAIN, but when your with your spouse, ENJOY IT---even if it is a good butt kicking.

^^^ x2  Except for the memory of me stepping on a snake and hubby laughing.  not so good!
2010-04-13 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2789473

User image

Master
All right, crew... Criticize our yellow paint (I picked it & I love it), the laundry basket (hubby's), the newspaper (mine, I'm behind on my reading), the cat (cute, isn't she?), the water bottle (mine -- it's pink!), the gold-bottom'ed purse (daughter's -- she's almost 8 and is a slave to fashion), the old man (visiting father), the younger old man (husband), the saddle position, and anything else you want... I don't care cuz I GOT A NEW (green!) BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Presenting my 2009 Scott Plasma 2 10!! Additions include a Cobb V-Flow saddle, Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and a PD mount. Ain't she purty??!!!

(Bike1.JPG)

(Bike2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Bike1.JPG (52KB - 24 downloads)
Bike2.JPG (46KB - 22 downloads)
2010-04-13 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2789488

User image

Veteran
kkcbelle - 2010-04-13 6:57 PM All right, crew... Criticize our yellow paint (I picked it & I love it), the laundry basket (hubby's), the newspaper (mine, I'm behind on my reading), the cat (cute, isn't she?), the water bottle (mine -- it's pink!), the gold-bottom'ed purse (daughter's -- she's almost 8 and is a slave to fashion), the old man (visiting father), the younger old man (husband), the saddle position, and anything else you want... I don't care cuz I GOT A NEW (green!) BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Presenting my 2009 Scott Plasma 2 10!! Additions include a Cobb V-Flow saddle, Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and a PD mount. Ain't she purty??!!!

Love it!!!

2010-04-13 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

kkcbelle - 2010-04-13 5:57 PM All right, crew... Criticize our yellow paint (I picked it & I love it), the laundry basket (hubby's), the newspaper (mine, I'm behind on my reading), the cat (cute, isn't she?), the water bottle (mine -- it's pink!), the gold-bottom'ed purse (daughter's -- she's almost 8 and is a slave to fashion), the old man (visiting father), the younger old man (husband), the saddle position, and anything else you want... I don't care cuz I GOT A NEW (green!) BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Presenting my 2009 Scott Plasma 2 10!! Additions include a Cobb V-Flow saddle, Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and a PD mount. Ain't she purty??!!!

The cat looks impressed...

Seriously - that's a pretty bike!

2010-04-13 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

kkcbelle - 2010-04-13 5:57 PM All right, crew... Criticize our yellow paint (I picked it & I love it), the laundry basket (hubby's), the newspaper (mine, I'm behind on my reading), the cat (cute, isn't she?), the water bottle (mine -- it's pink!), the gold-bottom'ed purse (daughter's -- she's almost 8 and is a slave to fashion), the old man (visiting father), the younger old man (husband), the saddle position, and anything else you want... I don't care cuz I GOT A NEW (green!) BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Presenting my 2009 Scott Plasma 2 10!! Additions include a Cobb V-Flow saddle, Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and a PD mount. Ain't she purty??!!!

Purty ain't the word.  I LOVE IT!!!  I want one too!!!!!   Very nice. Treat her well.

2010-04-13 6:30 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2010-04-13 3:57 PM All right, crew... Criticize our yellow paint (I picked it & I love it), the laundry basket (hubby's), the newspaper (mine, I'm behind on my reading), the cat (cute, isn't she?), the water bottle (mine -- it's pink!), the gold-bottom'ed purse (daughter's -- she's almost 8 and is a slave to fashion), the old man (visiting father), the younger old man (husband), the saddle position, and anything else you want... I don't care cuz I GOT A NEW (green!) BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Presenting my 2009 Scott Plasma 2 10!! Additions include a Cobb V-Flow saddle, Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and a PD mount. Ain't she purty??!!!

Love your new bike, Kyla!!! 
Excellent color scheme *kinda partial to black/green* 
Oh, and the yellow matches are kitchen paint, too!  
You are all ready for CdA!!! 
2010-04-13 6:35 PM

User image

Master
I love it!  GREEN with envy, here!!
2010-04-13 6:40 PM

User image

kkcbelle - 2010-04-13 6:57 PM All right, crew... Criticize our yellow paint (I picked it & I love it), the laundry basket (hubby's), the newspaper (mine, I'm behind on my reading), the cat (cute, isn't she?), the water bottle (mine -- it's pink!), the gold-bottom'ed purse (daughter's -- she's almost 8 and is a slave to fashion), the old man (visiting father), the younger old man (husband), the saddle position, and anything else you want... I don't care cuz I GOT A NEW (green!) BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Presenting my 2009 Scott Plasma 2 10!! Additions include a Cobb V-Flow saddle, Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and a PD mount. Ain't she purty??!!!

Very nice! And the cat is cute. 

2010-04-13 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2789454

User image

Master
TrevorC - 2010-04-13 5:42 PM

I totally HEART my Sienna!!! I started driving a minivan long before kiddos -- because they are great dog cars and dogs were my hobby pre-kids. The Sienna is awesome for kids, dog(s), bike(s), and everything else. It's soooooo comfy and drives like a car. I have no problem proudly driving a minivan, either!! 
2010-04-13 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Totally awesome. I think the hardwood floor needs to be redone

2010-04-13 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
kkcbelle -  the cat (cute, isn't she?)

Nothing better at home than a curious "Ragdoll"!  Been living with one for 17 years and he seems to end up in every picture also.

The bike looks awesome also.  Ought to give you an extra 5 mph.........
2010-04-13 7:03 PM

User image

Love the new bike Kyla!  Have fun out there riding her/him

Edited by Havin'Fun 2010-04-13 7:03 PM
2010-04-13 7:04 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

nice brady bunch architecture with see thru stairs.   

love the ride.  what are you gonna do about hydration?

2010-04-13 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2789587

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-04-13 6:43 PM
TrevorC - 2010-04-13 5:42 PM

I totally HEART my Sienna!!! I started driving a minivan long before kiddos -- because they are great dog cars and dogs were my hobby pre-kids. The Sienna is awesome for kids, dog(s), bike(s), and everything else. It's soooooo comfy and drives like a car. I have no problem proudly driving a minivan, either!! 

oh.  we have a sienna to.  but jarrett drives it so not really worth mentioning.  ;-)
2010-04-13 7:13 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I leave for a full day and I feel like I am a week behind! Good grief people....

Jeff, my husband and I used to bike together, but the minute I stated training for triathlon he told me I was too fast and won't ride me about 95% of the time.  I hate it.  I would love to do some fun rides, but he thinks he is too slow, too old and too fat. 

Kyla, I do love the bike and the color scheme alot!  Like you weren't fast enough!

Not entirely sure how we got on cars but like Steve I have a Toyota--LEXUS SUV and LOVE IT.  Paul has a LEXUS Sedan, an Avalanche and little Jeep....can you tell he likes cars?  One is our up north car and somehow 2 people need 3 cars in Madison.  Not sure how that works.

Texas bound people, nervous? excited? thinking OMG!????  My answer YES!

Sitting in a room with no windows fo 8 hours was torture today.  So much so I get to do it again tomorrow and then call it a rest day in my training plan.  The best thing that happened is I got to run on the Racine70.3 course today....also had a chance to look at Lake Michigan with 20mph winds....YIKES!

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-04-13 7:14 PM
2010-04-13 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2789148

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-13 4:37 PM i drive an F250 and a suburban.  my truck is my truck.  nothing better than it, well except the price of diesel..  but that suburban sure is nice. much better for driving the kiddos around in. 

We have a Durango and a minivan.  Current plan is to turn the mini van into a Subaru Forester and the Durango into a Surburban.  Got to have something big to give the kids space on those long trips!
2010-04-13 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

That is one smokin' bike!  Congrats!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328