BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-04 6:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Important Gravel Talk!

Apparently BWR has announced an Asheville event on August 30th.  Registration opens February 18. 

I'm hunting down additional info now.

And another in Utah. BTW, for those that have an Amazon Prime connection, the He!! of the North (County) movie is a look into the front of the pack at that particular ride. I am not vouching for the movie itself, just the event aspects.

2020-02-04 7:28 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Important Gravel Talk!

Apparently BWR has announced an Asheville event on August 30th.  Registration opens February 18. 

And another in Utah. BTW, for those that have an Amazon Prime connection, the He!! of the North (County) movie is a look into the front of the pack at that particular ride. I am not vouching for the movie itself, just the event aspects.

Yes, the one in Cedar City, UT could get spousal support!

2020-02-05 4:41 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Important Gravel Talk!

Just added Asheville to my 2021 list
2020-02-05 4:42 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by IronOx

I am struggling with JoGo....not doing terrible on the strength/yoga, but my weight is going in the wrong direction....Not for lack of workouts, so likely a result of eating the wrong things. I need to get back on less carbs, but carbs are so easy for snacks (ie toast and PB). So little time right now that meal planning/prep is difficult to do. I'm also struggling with my Seasonal Affective Disorder--low motivation and lack of concentration mostly, thankfully no depressive symptoms (well aside the fact that an Oreo cookie commercial almost had me sobbing on the weekend! )  But its a new week, so, onward!

Yes...meal planning/prep is difficult for me too.  Most days I rush out the door in the morning and if there are leftovers in the frig from the night before I take it with me to eat at lunch and if not the options for buying something on my lunch break are limited to mostly the wrong thing. 

Another thing that I didn't list that may have been a big factor in my weight being down this week was that my wife picked up six (6) Quinoa Cups at the nearest Aldi's 50 miles away on her way home from her doctor's appointment in Dallas two weeks ago.  These Quinoa cups are my new favorite thing.  My wife said they were $0.99 so I am going to need to buy a case of a hundred of them.  They are easy and all the things that I wish I had but don't take time to prepare.  I personally do not cut carbs.  My goal is 70% carbs, 15% protein, 15% fat.  All carbs are not the right things though.  I have to focus on using brown rice in the place of white rice, sweet potatoes in the place of russet potatoes, whole grain bread in the place of white bread (and I am hoping that the next thing my wife brings home is $0.99 teff bread from Aldi's), etc.   The Quinoa Cups are processed food, and I focus on using raw foods to displace processed foods, but I loved these.  What is everyone's favorite or go-to snack for keeping you on target with your triathlon diet? 

I have not seen those quinoa cups but love the concept!
2020-02-05 6:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Important Gravel Talk!

Kevin has been made aware of both the Asheville and Cedar City events

BTW, here's the link to an article about the announcement.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-02-05 6:45 AM
2020-02-05 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This is my first week back in the water since Lake Logan last August

Since that time, I acquired a Garmin 945. I have to say, that it's a little strange to get heart rate data from my swims!

RIP Garmin Swim watch.

2020-02-05 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Since that time, I acquired a Garmin 945. I have to say, that it's a little strange to get heart rate data from my swims!

RIP Garmin Swim watch.

You and I were on the same swim plan I did get back in the pool a week earlier though. So much fun . How do you like the 945?  I bought the Form swim goggles on the holiday sales -still stupid expensive for a pair of goggles, but i have to say i think they make me not hate the pool as much!

2020-02-05 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Important Gravel Talk!

i would like to see the route before I would sign up. If it is there, i couldn't find it. Most of the roads in that area are okay, but there are some where the drivers are really aggressive to bicycles
2020-02-05 7:05 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

RIP Garmin Swim watch.

You and I were on the same swim plan I did get back in the pool a week earlier though. So much fun . How do you like the 945?  I bought the Form swim goggles on the holiday sales -still stupid expensive for a pair of goggles, but i have to say i think they make me not hate the pool as much!

I like the 945 a lot! I was looking to replace my 920XT because the battery wasn't holding a charge very well and I got a discount so that 945 coast the same as the 935. Winner winner chicken dinner! 

I don't hate swimming, I just find it frustrating.  I'm and adult onset swimmer and so far my progression has been as folllows: Group lessons, private lessons, more private lessons, masters swim, another masters swim, more private lessons.  Amount of improvement?  Near zero. 

2020-02-05 7:07 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Important Gravel Talk!

i would like to see the route before I would sign up. If it is there, i couldn't find it. Most of the roads in that area are okay, but there are some where the drivers are really aggressive to bicycles

The route isn't posted from what I can tell. It's entirely on the Sierra Nevada in Mills River property though.

The event page is up now (not a lot of info). I may have put myself on the mailing list ;-)

2020-02-05 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ann-Marie,

When you registered for ToS, did you add a team or just register as an individual? 

2020-02-05 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by cdban66

Important Gravel Talk!

Yes, the one in Cedar City, UT could get spousal support!

I have full spousal support for either or both events for 2021. Looks like these events will sell out in minutes.
2020-02-05 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ann-Marie,

When you registered for ToS, did you add a team or just register as an individual? 

Individual. Are you registering?

2020-02-05 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

RIP Garmin Swim watch.

I like the 945 a lot! I was looking to replace my 920XT because the battery wasn't holding a charge very well and I got a discount so that 945 coast the same as the 935. Winner winner chicken dinner! 

I don't hate swimming, I just find it frustrating.  I'm and adult onset swimmer and so far my progression has been as folllows: Group lessons, private lessons, more private lessons, masters swim, another masters swim, more private lessons.  Amount of improvement?  Near zero. 

Yep, that's me too. Though I grew up swimming in the ocean and in the backyard pool, I did not swim laps, so I'm super comfortable in the water (except Lake Logan's 63* or whatever it was water )but have no swim form!

2020-02-05 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ann-Marie,

Maybe.  I'm still hoping for an Apple TV version (seems unlikely) but mostly I want to see how my PT appt goes next week. If running is still more or less off the table, I might as well ride.

2020-02-05 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Important Gravel Talk!

The route isn't posted from what I can tell. It's entirely on the Sierra Nevada in Mills River property though.

The event page is up now (not a lot of info). I may have put myself on the mailing list ;-)

If BWR sticks to their current format, I would foresee a lot of asphalt broken up by intense gravel portions. This is one man's take on the event, and our friend Anne probably has a better idea on that sort of thing. From what I understand, the party at the end (and somewhere in the middle) are pretty good, if that's your thing.

2020-02-05 8:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ann-Marie,

Maybe.  I'm still hoping for an Apple TV version (seems unlikely) but mostly I want to see how my PT appt goes next week. If running is still more or less off the table, I might as well ride.

Question for the Sufferlandrians:

Stage 2, Sun 16th Feb: The Bat + Fight Club 2020

I don't see The Bat in the app?  Where would I find it? I see Tempo 5 x 5 and then The Best Thing In the World with no The Bat in between.  Actually, the same with Fight Club 2020.  I see Fight Club but no Fight Club 2020.  I must be missing something.

UPDATE: I went to Training Plans > ToS Stages and I see it listed there.  When I click it, it says "Stay Tuned..."  I'll mess with it on my iPad over the next few days.  I'm traveling for work on Thursday and Friday and that will be a good hotel project.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-02-05 8:59 AM
2020-02-05 9:59 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

How the heck does someone do this?  No damage to his shoes either?  What the....???

And of course it's the drive side crank that's damaged!

worn bike crank, drive side

2020-02-05 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ann-Marie,

Question for the Sufferlandrians:

Stage 2, Sun 16th Feb: The Bat + Fight Club 2020

I don't see The Bat in the app?  Where would I find it? I see Tempo 5 x 5 and then The Best Thing In the World with no The Bat in between.  Actually, the same with Fight Club 2020.  I see Fight Club but no Fight Club 2020.  I must be missing something.

UPDATE: I went to Training Plans > ToS Stages and I see it listed there.  When I click it, it says "Stay Tuned..."  I'll mess with it on my iPad over the next few days.  I'm traveling for work on Thursday and Friday and that will be a good hotel project.

BAT is a new video that won't be released until right before the tour. Fight Club is being updated - thought i saw that the new version is out, I'm not sure whether they were going to put 2020 after the name. Pretty sure other updated videos did not get any new designation, so what you see with Fight Club is probably the new one.  Hope my rambling makes sense!  

2020-02-05 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

How the heck does someone do this?  No damage to his shoes either?  What the....???

2020-02-05 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Exactly!

How does one wear through their crank arm?  And not even notice until their mechanic is like, what have we here?

2020-02-05 11:36 AM

So I've got three events on the horizon that I am thinking of doing. All three are sprint triathlons. The first one is in early May, second one is second week of June, and third one is mid August. The first one is pretty soon - only 12 weeks away. I am nervous about signing on for that one because I don't know if I can really be ready in 12 weeks. I really want to do the second one in June because it's in my hometown, but we are taking a 2 week vacation the last week of May/first week of June, so I'll have some not-so-much-training time in there before it. That is also the reason I want to do the May one - I don't have any time off or any major travel plans between now and then. I may not be fully ready for it but I have the time to push pretty good for the next 12 weeks to get it done. The event only takes 100 people, and looking at the last several years' results there are generally about 20+ people that finish in over two hours. I know all the online advice says don't worry if you come in last, but my competitive nature just really does not want to be last. I think if I put in a decent training schedule for the next 11 1/2 weeks, I should be ok for at least suffering through the event and getting it done.
2020-02-05 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Important Gravel Talk!

Unless they do lots of loops, i cant imagine 180 miles in their own property.
2020-02-05 1:14 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Important Gravel Talk!

Unless they do lots of loops, i cant imagine 180 miles in their own property.

You are correct, it says "will be held on the grounds of Sierra Nevada in Mills River," I completely made on the entirely portion. 

2020-02-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri So I've got three events on the horizon that I am thinking of doing. All three are sprint triathlons. The first one is in early May, second one is second week of June, and third one is mid August. The first one is pretty soon - only 12 weeks away. I am nervous about signing on for that one because I don't know if I can really be ready in 12 weeks. I really want to do the second one in June because it's in my hometown, but we are taking a 2 week vacation the last week of May/first week of June, so I'll have some not-so-much-training time in there before it. That is also the reason I want to do the May one - I don't have any time off or any major travel plans between now and then. I may not be fully ready for it but I have the time to push pretty good for the next 12 weeks to get it done. The event only takes 100 people, and looking at the last several years' results there are generally about 20+ people that finish in over two hours. I know all the online advice says don't worry if you come in last, but my competitive nature just really does not want to be last. I think if I put in a decent training schedule for the next 11 1/2 weeks, I should be ok for at least suffering through the event and getting it done.

Well, they do say that it's that last 12 weeks that really count!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127