BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-09-16 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Kim what you said was WAY MORE POWERFUL!  John.... We are not lazy in this group !

2009-09-16 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2410455

User image

Champion
marietta
my bad. please go re-read.  i've updated changes in bold and provided a correct citation.
2009-09-16 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2410234

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2009-09-16 2:42 PM
sdalessio - 2009-09-16 11:18 AM
TrevorC - 2009-09-16 12:43 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-09-16 11:33 AM
sdalessio - 2009-09-16 10:20 AM Question for the group.  I am trying to decide b/t a coach for Lonestar so I can get faster overall or a tri bike.  I want to take about an hour off my first HIM time.

B/t Dec-March, I can really only do one or the other.  I'm trying to decide which thing will make me faster.  Tony seems to think that a tri bike will make me faster on the bike.  I'm not sure it will make me that much faster.

If I do IMAZ in 2010, I'm definitely getting a coach so if I do a coach over the winter as well, I may be riding my road bike all through 2010.

Thoughts from the group?

Sam--How come Tony gets to have a running coach and a tri coach and you have to select between two options? Take this for what it is worth given that I don't yet have a tri bike, I would go for the coach.  Start with him now and keep him through the IM build up.  You won't take an hour off your time with a new bike IMO.  You might with a good coach who can structure a program to really push you and give you advice on where you may have had issues in your last races.  Just my two cents.

Andy--do you toe off when you run hills?  if so, that can cause really tight calves.  It could also be caused from a poor pedal stroke....you point your toes down when you ride versus keeping your feet flatter.  I think sometimes we look at the sport where are bodies hurt and we might need to look to the other things we do.  One other thought, your shins and calves are opposite muscle groups.  If you have really strong calves it MIGHT cause shin problems and vv.  Need to make sure both muscle groups are in balance.  Does that make sense?

Had a breakthrough swim today!

Umm isn't Tony the man of the house? All decision go through him wink,wink nudge,nudge. Ha, we know who wears the pants in your house Sam!
I agree with Suzy, even though we are on different paths. I am getting a coach to get my fired up for my first 1/2. You've already been there. I think if $$ is the reason for the choice, coach all the way.  I know a guy who has a 10 year old Cervelo who AG's all the time. So unless you're bike is a clunker, coach,coach. OR get the Tony to piece one together for you as a 'surprise'

Why does Tony get all of the goods?  Because women make many sacrifices for their children!  Wink

In Tony's defense, he did say that I should do both.  However, the man doesn't pay a single bill and has mistaken the tree in our front yard for a money tree.

And now I am back to square one b/c Suzy and Trevor's thoughts are the reason I started waffling.  Part of me thinks that I can get a hell of a lot faster w/ better training.  It's not like I've come anywhere close to getting everything out of current bike.  I've yet to ride a race totally in aero.  Ugh - decisions, decisions.

I am late in responding to this post but I was having a similar dilemma after Vineman, whether to go with a coach or a new bike.  Luckily for me, my sweetie surprised me with a new bike, but only after I had reached the decision to go with a coach.  Sorry, Sam, maybe this doesn't help...HOWEVER, that being said, I can say that I am loving having a coach.  I just do as I am told (mostly), and I have not been suffering from any of the niggling heel, glute, hip pains that I was late last year (2008) and through most of my training for my half marathon and HIM when I was on the do it myself method.  And I am getting faster or at least maximizing the speed I have, without feeling exhausted before or after those race pace and long runs.  I feel that my confidence is really good, and everything that I am doing is for a reason, not just well...i should log some miles on the bike or I should do 6000 yds in the pool this week.  It is very focused and my time is absolutely maximized.  I love having a coach!  oh, i said that already.  I am 44, soon to be 45 and it is very important to me to stay injury free, this is something I talked at length with Steve when we had the initial interview/consult.  He has been very good about this aspect.  Anyhow, sorry to ramble on and on, because that's probably more than 2 cents.  You can pm me if you have any other Q's. 

Is everyone's coach named Steve??
2009-09-16 10:10 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
You all must have my wrong address... I haven't seen any checks yet !!?!?

Haven't seen Doug around here... You out there these days?  Hope all is well!!
2009-09-16 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2410833

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

swbkrun - 2009-09-16 10:10 PM You all must have my wrong address... I haven't seen any checks yet !!?!?

Haven't seen Doug around here... You out there these days?  Hope all is well!!

Seen some posts of his on other threads in the last couple of days...

2009-09-16 11:18 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I'm here Been training for my olympic. Today was my daughter's birthday. I also have learned that I am manning the finish at Duke 1/2 IM as a volunteer.

Finally I have been rebuilding my computrainer for the winter. Oh, and I have 4 pens to go and then it is off to laser etching.

Doug

2009-09-17 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Good morning group - the weekend is almost here.  I'm looking forward to my little tri this weekend and very happy I will not be at Deep Creek. ;-)  Don't worry Tracy you will kick butt!

I got an email last night w/ pics from my son's dualthon.  They are so cute.  And most importantly, he looks very happy in all of the pics.
2009-09-17 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hi everyone.  Lots has been going on in the MG.  Rob and Suzy, love the photos. I can't believe how many there are Suzy.  At my half the professional photographers hardly took any - what a selection for you to choose from.  Too bad cheater lady had to contaminate your finish photos. But the beauty of photoshop.......  Rob, every time I see your race jersey I think you have one of those glow necklaces around your neck.  It always makes me smile.

So I am totally confused.  When exactly is Lonestar?  I thought it was near the end of April but then did someone say something about October 1st?  If it is in October that would be cool b/c my birthday is October 2nd.   Sam and Tony - we still on for dinner for the Army 10 miler?  We can make it a birthday dinner for me. Smile   And Sam - any opportunity you can have to get a pink bike and you know I'm all over it!!!!

Now down to business.  I don't know if I am up to Savageman this weekend. I have been fighting off a sinus infection for the past 3 days and honestly have spent more time sleeping than I've been awake since Tuesday.  I've been able to drag myself into work for a few hours, leave early, take a nap, eat dinner, take a nap, kiss the girls good night, go back to bed.  We are leaving for Deep Creek today and I'll make the call this weekend.  I don't know if there is internet access in the house we're staying at.......  If it were any other race I would probably be of the suck it up buttercup mentality - but this is Savage.  The weather forecast is low 60's and rainy, morning weather in the 40's and all those hills.  Plus I need to start ramping up the milage on my running.   Oh well, think positive right. Sorry about the pitty fest. It's over.

Trevor - very cool!   Go get em!!

2009-09-17 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2411279

User image

Expert
tahrens - 2009-09-17 8:48 AM

So I am totally confused.  When exactly is Lonestar?  I thought it was near the end of April but then did someone say something about October 1st?  If it is in October that would be cool b/c my birthday is October 2nd.   Sam and Tony - we still on for dinner for the Army 10 miler?  We can make it a birthday dinner for me. Smile   And Sam - any opportunity you can have to get a pink bike and you know I'm all over it!!!!

Now down to business.  I don't know if I am up to Savageman this weekend. I have been fighting off a sinus infection for the past 3 days and honestly have spent more time sleeping than I've been awake since Tuesday.  I've been able to drag myself into work for a few hours, leave early, take a nap, eat dinner, take a nap, kiss the girls good night, go back to bed.  We are leaving for Deep Creek today and I'll make the call this weekend.  I don't know if there is internet access in the house we're staying at.......  If it were any other race I would probably be of the suck it up buttercup mentality - but this is Savage.  The weather forecast is low 60's and rainy, morning weather in the 40's and all those hills.  Plus I need to start ramping up the milage on my running.   Oh well, think positive right. Sorry about the pitty fest. It's over.

Lonestar reg opens Oct 1 - not that it will close that day but I like to have my ducks in a row.  Race dates are April 23-25, 2010.

We are definitely on for dinner.  When are you in town?  I need a little heads up in case I need to line up a sitter.

I hope you feel better.  It is a tough course but I'm sure you will be fine no matter what your decision is.
2009-09-17 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Keith has updated the Lone Star site.  All the 1/4 IM has been updated to the Olympic.   Its one the better race sites around. 
2009-09-17 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2411279

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2009-09-17 8:48 AM

Hi everyone.  Lots has been going on in the MG.  Rob and Suzy, love the photos. I can't believe how many there are Suzy.  At my half the professional photographers hardly took any - what a selection for you to choose from.  Too bad cheater lady had to contaminate your finish photos. But the beauty of photoshop.......  Rob, every time I see your race jersey I think you have one of those glow necklaces around your neck.  It always makes me smile.

Tracy

I thought of you today ridding up those hills on my run.   You are one tough chick and you can do this.  You had a bike accident before your HIM and kicked it out of the park.  Positive vibes to you!!!!!

Lonestar is on April 25th which coincides with my 47th birthday! God am I old!  Please say you and your man can still be there.  I am trying to convince my twin, Kim to be there since it is also her birthday, but she will probably want to do Boston instead.....Boo-hiss.  Boston is soooooooo overrated.

So who is in and who is a maybe?

Suzy

2009-09-17 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Holy Smokes!  I miss a couple days and you all go berserk!  A lot to catch up on.

Suzy and Rob, your pictures are great.  Love the new avatars.  Suzy, nothing sexier than a fit chic with some definition.

In Rob's picture with Elizabeth look at the two in the background.  The old lady eyeing Rob - the young dude checking out Elizabeth.

2009-09-17 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Speaking of Lonestar, where are people staying?  I think Tony and I decided on a hotel that is within walking distance.  I was looking at Moody Gardens Hotel, Spa & Convention Center and Hotel Galvez.  Anyone know anything about the 2?
2009-09-17 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
I just got off the phone w/ Moody Gardens.  You can book the hotel if you call them.  I'm not able to do it online.  Group rate is 159, same as last year.  888.388.8484.

Jarrett spent last weekend at the new spa at the Galvez.  She stayed at the Tremont House.  Nicest hotel in Galveston but its ways from the race.

Galvez is nice but Moody Gardens is literally right there.  Moody Gardens is nice as well, just not the Galvez.  I'd pick Moody gardens over Galvez based on location. 

I'll be heading down there at least once over the next few months to ride.  Suzy, I'll look at those condos.  If anyone else is looking at specific places let me know and I'll run by there. Really my only concern is storm damage, there's still a bit of it.

Per the woman I spoke w/ there, Palm beach will not be open until Memorial day of next year.  Its at the swim start area that has the beach. a couple of splash pads etc... 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-09-17 10:27 AM
2009-09-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2411462

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2009-09-17 9:43 AM Speaking of Lonestar, where are people staying?  I think Tony and I decided on a hotel that is within walking distance.  I was looking at Moody Gardens Hotel, Spa & Convention Center and Hotel Galvez.  Anyone know anything about the 2?

i don't think the galvez is within walking distance.  a little over 4 miles.
2009-09-17 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
LOVE the new avatar, Suzy!

Great race pics Rob and Suzy!

Congrats on the half mary, Janet!

Tracy- I hope you feel better soon. Whatever decision you make about the race this weekend, you are still  a savage.  Enjoy your weekend and take care of yourself!

Lonestar- Is a definite maybe for my hubby and me. The timing is perfect for a practice HIM before IMCDA, and it looks like an awesome venue. Plus, it would be fantastic to meet you all!

2009-09-17 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I'm back home in Kalispell for the next couple weeks trying to keep my daughters  from killing each other or burning our house down before the youngest ships off to bootcamp on October 1st. Babysitting my adult kids isn't my favorite thing to do, but atleast we're getting to spend some together.

I'm also tapering for Black Diamond HIM. I decided to do a full taper for the HIM. I'd like  to improve my time over Boise, and I'm tired of going into races feeling sore, tired,and not recovered. So, I'm not going to worry about the 50k training until afterward. It'll mean a big ramp up in mileage with only two months before the race, but since I'll be able to really focus on the run I think I can do it.  Wish me luck!

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-09-17 10:50 AM
2009-09-17 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Have a great race this weekend, Sam!!!

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-09-17 10:50 AM
2009-09-17 11:03 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Suzy:

Two things:

1. I do not see your "new" avatar. What's the deal?

2. There is a garage sale in Madison, WI 9/19 where they are selling a Computrainer (if you need one)
http://madison.craigslist.org/gms/1378702615.html

Doug
2009-09-17 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2411698

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2009-09-17 11:03 AM Suzy:

Two things:

2. There is a garage sale in Madison, WI 9/19 where they are selling a Computrainer (if you need one)

Doug

Hey

Did you try clearing your cache?  It really isn't all that exciting,  but I was getting kind of sick of the old one.  Truth be told, I felt like garbage when they took this shot.

I have a CT, but if you ever see a PT let me know!!

PS. Nice to have you back on the boards.  We can only see so many posts from Trevor and John .
2009-09-17 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2411657

User image

Champion
roni_runnw - 2009-09-17 10:47 AM I'm back home in Kalispell for the next couple weeks trying to keep my daughters  from killing each other or burning our house down before the youngest ships off to bootcamp on October 1st. Babysitting my adult kids isn't my favorite thing to do, but atleast we're getting to spend some together.

I'm also tapering for Black Diamond HIM. I decided to do a full taper for the HIM. I'd like  to improve my time over Boise, and I'm tired of going into races feeling sore, tired,and not recovered. So, I'm not going to worry about the 50k training until afterward. It'll mean a big ramp up in mileage with only two months before the race, but since I'll be able to really focus on the run I think I can do it.  Wish me luck!

RONI--GOOD LUCK!!!

I don't think you will be disappointed by taking a normal taper.  Enjoy the kids.

2009-09-17 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2411657

User image

Champion
marietta
roni_runnw - 2009-09-17 10:47 AM I'm back home in Kalispell for the next couple weeks trying to keep my daughters  from killing each other or burning our house down before the youngest ships off to bootcamp on October 1st. Babysitting my adult kids isn't my favorite thing to do, but atleast we're getting to spend some together.

Good luck at Black Diamond Roni!  And congrats and thanks to your daughter!  Give her a five for me!
2009-09-17 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2411729

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2009-09-17 11:11 AM
DougRob - 2009-09-17 11:03 AM Suzy:

Two things:

Doug

Hey

Did you try clearing your cache?  It really isn't all that exciting,  but I was getting kind of sick of the old one.  Truth be told, I felt like garbage when they took this shot.

I have a CT, but if you ever see a PT let me know!!

PS. Nice to have you back on the boards.  We can only see so many posts from Trevor and John .

Would you need a PT for 650 wheels?
2009-09-17 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-09-17 11:11 AM

amen....  ;-0

babysitting data again today and tomorrow.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-09-17 11:31 AM
2009-09-17 11:24 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

What is the difference between a computrainer and my blackburn and TV/DVD - and is it worth the extra cost?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383