BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-09-20 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
I confess, I cheated.  I ran this morning when it wasn't on my plan. I feel so..........AWESOME!  WOW, I am glad I got that off my chest. Actually deep down I feel guilty and am sure it will come back to bite me somehow, but it was so nice and I had nothing better to do.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-09-20 9:58 AM

2009-09-20 10:24 AM

User image

Suzy, there are worse things you can do     Nice run!
It's nice here...think I'll go out for a little bike ride.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Racers, hope you are crazy fast out there and have lots of fun on the course. 
(Now, please hurry back and give us all the details)
2009-09-20 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2416001

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-09-20 9:57 AM I confess, I cheated.  I ran this morning when it wasn't on my plan. I feel so..........AWESOME!  WOW, I am glad I got that off my chest. Actually deep down I feel guilty and am sure it will come back to bite me somehow, but it was so nice and I had nothing better to do.

Most of the time when I cheat, it is the other way around...I don't run when I am supposed to be running.  What is wrong with you?  I wouldn't call that cheating.   Cool that you are feeling good.
2009-09-20 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2415024

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-09-19 9:12 AM Who said gambling doesn't have benefits? I went and played in an industry poker game on Thursday night. I finished in 3rd out of 66, and won over $800!! Wife asked how I want to spend it, so I've decided I am going to get a coach for next year.

ah podium and overall not age group. very good.  spend it on a trip to texas in april. 

hope all you racers are kicking a$$ and everyone else is having a nice relaxing weekend.

2009-09-20 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Hi everyone - back from the race.  I can't believe it but it was my best race of the year - actually ever.  I was 3rd in my AG going into the run and got passed on an uphill and finished 24 sec. out of 3rd for 4th.  But I was so happy w/ the race.

I had no expectations going in b/c I had focused so much on running that I had barely biked or been in the pool.  I seriously wondered if I could swim 750m right now.  I felt so unprepared that I didn't bother w/ a time goal.  I had kind of figured that 1:45:00 was the best I could do and that would have been out of the running last year so I just decided to have fun.  No garmin and no bike computer just my little timing watch.

When I came out of the water 3 min. ahead of pace I couldn't believe it so I decided that the race was on.  My bike felt great although I had no idea of how fast I was going.  My run was good and my transitions were awesome.  I finally felt like was racing not just surviving.  I felt like a triathlete. 

Anyways race report to follow once I have all of the splits.

Hope everyone else had a great weekend.
2009-09-20 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2416428

User image

Elite
san francisco
sdalessio - 2009-09-20 3:12 PM Hi everyone - back from the race.  I can't believe it but it was my best race of the year - actually ever.  I was 3rd in my AG going into the run and got passed on an uphill and finished 24 sec. out of 3rd for 4th.  But I was so happy w/ the race.

I had no expectations going in b/c I had focused so much on running that I had barely biked or been in the pool.  I seriously wondered if I could swim 750m right now.  I felt so unprepared that I didn't bother w/ a time goal.  I had kind of figured that 1:45:00 was the best I could do and that would have been out of the running last year so I just decided to have fun.  No garmin and no bike computer just my little timing watch.

When I came out of the water 3 min. ahead of pace I couldn't believe it so I decided that the race was on.  My bike felt great although I had no idea of how fast I was going.  My run was good and my transitions were awesome.  I finally felt like was racing not just surviving.  I felt like a triathlete. 

Great job, Sam!!!  Sometimes the best races are the ones when we have less expectations! You did so great, can't wait for the race report.     And, YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE, silly!  

2009-09-20 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Sam: great race. Sounds like you not only kicked it but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Suzy: nice run. I know what you mean about feeling guilty but for me it was because I hadn't done anything since last sunday. It felt great to get out and run even just for a few minutes.

I have been on such a great high since my race last weekend. I can't believe that I wasn't sore at all (except right after the race). What a pleasant surprise that was.

2009-09-20 5:57 PM

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2009-09-20 5:12 PM Hi everyone - back from the race.  I can't believe it but it was my best race of the year - actually ever.  I was 3rd in my AG going into the run and got passed on an uphill and finished 24 sec. out of 3rd for 4th.  But I was so happy w/ the race.

YIPEE!!!

Terrific job Sam......you were always a triathlete, but now you overdelivered against your expectations which means the bar is higher from here on out!  Details???? Photos????

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-09-20 5:58 PM
2009-09-20 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
sdalessio - 2009-09-20 6:12 PM Hi everyone - back from the race.  I can't believe it but it was my best race of the year - actually ever.  I was 3rd in my AG going into the run and got passed on an uphill and finished 24 sec. out of 3rd for 4th.  But I was so happy w/ the race.

Awesome job Sam!  What a great race!  Not only because of your finish but it sounds like you had such a great time.  Way to go triathlete!

Suzy, we always knew you were a cheater.  No one should be able to run like you Laughing

I just had an awesome final run before taper.  It was a big confidence booster for me.  I was getting very concerned about running on flat ground instead of the hills I am used to.  I have done two flat runs and my hip flexors hurt for four days after each run.  I did my run today on a 1/4 mile track, in light rain, by myself.  I figured out that if I have a little more forward lean and leg lift, it matches my hill running stride.  After my 8.5 mile run (and negative splitting that biotch), I feel great.  Now, it's time for taper... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
2009-09-20 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2416540

User image

Champion
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-09-20 6:32 PM
sdalessio - 2009-09-20 6:12 PM Hi everyone - back from the race.  I can't believe it but it was my best race of the year - actually ever.  I was 3rd in my AG going into the run and got passed on an uphill and finished 24 sec. out of 3rd for 4th.  But I was so happy w/ the race.

Awesome job Sam!  What a great race!  Not only because of your finish but it sounds like you had such a great time.  Way to go triathlete!

Suzy, we always knew you were a cheater.  No one should be able to run like you Laughing

I just had an awesome final run before taper.  It was a big confidence booster for me.  I was getting very concerned about running on flat ground instead of the hills I am used to.  I have done two flat runs and my hip flexors hurt for four days after each run.  I did my run today on a 1/4 mile track, in light rain, by myself.  I figured out that if I have a little more forward lean and leg lift, it matches my hill running stride.  After my 8.5 mile run (and negative splitting that biotch), I feel great.  Now, it's time for taper... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Enjoy your one week taper???  Eat well, sleep a lot and for crying out loud stay off your feet as much as possible. 
Good job on working through the flats.   I would never have thought of using a track.

2009-09-20 6:54 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
No race for me but did my 20 miler today.  Ran Sam's bike course, then the run course, then a bit more, lol.

I forgot I told my coach initially that I wanted to make sure I had some longer runs, so ugh, 22 miles next weekend. 

Not sure I am cut out for this marathoning thing.  I think I can do well at 1/2's, but man these long runs crush me.

2009-09-20 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2416568

User image

Champion
Savageman website seems to be down.

2009-09-20 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2416568

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2009-09-20 6:54 PM No race for me but did my 20 miler today.  Ran Sam's bike course, then the run course, then a bit more, lol.

I forgot I told my coach initially that I wanted to make sure I had some longer runs, so ugh, 22 miles next weekend. 

Not sure I am cut out for this marathoning thing.  I think I can do well at 1/2's, but man these long runs crush me.

Tony

For what it is worth, it took me quite a while to get used to 20-26m runs (not sure Lowell will have you hit the full monty).  In the end, they pay off when it comes to the race. You really do have greater endurance and you know what to expect.  And yes, it is still painful!   It is funny, for 6 years I thought the marathon was the bomb.  Now that I have found triathlons, my enthusiasm for them has paled greatly.   I know that I will be doing two more, one as part of the IM and Boston in '11.  After that, I highly doubt I will run another stand alone.  They take too long to recover from and I really love the BS of triathlons (pun intended!).

And dang, I really wish I knew how Tracy did.....

Suzy

PS For those that get Men's Health there is a great article on strengthening some of your smaller muscles (page 88) including the piroformis, TFL and psoas (all really important for running).

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-09-20 8:27 PM
2009-09-20 9:03 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Hey all, been a busy day around here today!  Both the wife and daughter have been sick, so I have been running around taking care of household duties (picking up take-out is tough work! )  Anyway RR is up from the aquathlon this morning.  I got second in my AG - my first harware of the season.  It helped that only three people showed up, but I ran down the third place person (using a very liberal interpetation of that term given my pace) a few hundred yards before the finish line to take second!

Anyway, l had fun and it was a good training day since the swim and run are the same course as next weekend's sprint!  Now off to catch up on the rest of the thread.

2009-09-20 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2416001

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-09-20 9:57 AM I confess, I cheated.  I ran this morning when it wasn't on my plan. I feel so..........AWESOME!  WOW, I am glad I got that off my chest. Actually deep down I feel guilty and am sure it will come back to bite me somehow, but it was so nice and I had nothing better to do.

Does Steve decide on penance or is it up to the group to decide?

2009-09-20 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

sdalessio - 2009-09-20 5:12 PM Hi everyone - back from the race.  I can't believe it but it was my best race of the year - actually ever.  I was 3rd in my AG going into the run and got passed on an uphill and finished 24 sec. out of 3rd for 4th.  But I was so happy w/ the race.

Great job Sam!  I find that when I am relaxed that I sometimes do my best!

2009-09-21 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2416756

User image

Champion
ashort33 - 2009-09-20 9:03 PM

Hey all, been a busy day around here today!  Both the wife and daughter have been sick, so I have been running around taking care of household duties (picking up take-out is tough work! )  Anyway RR is up from the aquathlon this morning.  I got second in my AG - my first harware of the season.  It helped that only three people showed up, but I ran down the third place person (using a very liberal interpetation of that term given my pace) a few hundred yards before the finish line to take second!

Anyway, l had fun and it was a good training day since the swim and run are the same course as next weekend's sprint!  Now off to catch up on the rest of the thread.

WOO-HOO more MG Hardware....I think we are going to need a big trophy case for all of our goods.  It's funny we all seem to have to minimize our AG effort by stating there were only X people in the category.  We have to stop doing that and be proud of what we accomplished! Ok, Andy?

I don't think I am going to let MG Head Steve decide my punishment.  I might end up wearing his Capris!  I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore left leg.  I told you there would be punishment for cheating yesterday.  I actually think it came from doing squats.  Coach Steve has me weight training in the off season.....stupid weight training.Yell
2009-09-21 6:21 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Funny you should mention weight training. I am in week 10 of my 12 week program for my olympic 10/10. I have been doing 2 strength training days/week to date. I checked after yesterday's session and ... there aren't anymore. I am done with them until the off season. I will not miss the V crunches with the fit-ball or the planks! I plan to start up again in November.

Doug
2009-09-21 8:05 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
damn ryan.  that doesn't sound like much fun. and you talk about chipseal.  i did 60+ with a buddy going to im florida yesterday.  lots of the ride has been replaced with this crap. absolutely sucks!

lol!  we only got ~2000' of climbing in.  what'd you get?

ryan's imsg course review here

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-09-21 8:13 AM
2009-09-21 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2417135

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-09-21 9:05 AM damn ryan.  that doesn't sound like much fun. and you talk about chipseal.  i did 60+ with a buddy going to im florida yesterday.  lots of the ride has been replaced with this crap. absolutely sucks!

lol!  we only got ~2000' of climbing in.  what'd you get?

What post are you responding to?  You can't respond to a post without quoting it if it isan't on the current page...Tongue out
2009-09-21 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2417143

User image

Champion
BTW Suzy that is a great new avatar.

2009-09-21 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
For those of you with HIM experience (or training experience), how many calories do you take in per hour on race day?  Between GE, gels and a cliff bar, I am taking in an average of 200 per hour.  Obviously it is kind of late to change now, but I might throw in a extra gel somewhere, like maybe the bike or something.  Here is my plan:

Swim:
Gel before

Bike:
1 cliff bar
1 gel @ mile 30
1 gel @ mile 50
2 20oz bottles GE+ 1 Water

Run:
1 gel @ mile 2
1 gel @ mile 8
Add one more if I need it.

Total:  1240 calories
2009-09-21 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
sdalessio - 2009-09-20 4:12 PM Hi everyone - back from the race.  I can't believe it but it was my best race of the year - actually ever.  I was 3rd in my AG going into the run and got passed on an uphill and finished 24 sec. out of 3rd for 4th.  But I was so happy w/ the race.

Great work Sam. Way to finish off the tri- season. Sometimes its nice to not have all the funky technology telling how fast we can go. Let our bodies dictate it.
2009-09-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2416756

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ashort33 - 2009-09-20 8:03 PM

Sweet deal Andy....Way to chase him down for 2nd!!!

And John...Ryan's take on Utah sure doesn't sound like fun does it.
2009-09-21 8:48 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Good morning everyone!
It is a glorious day and it is my day off! 

~Congrats to Andy, who it sounds like, had a great aquathon!  
~ Suzy, the next time you tell me "Around here, they give out AG awards if you stick around long enough!", I'll remind you of what you told Andy.
~ Doug, don't stop doing the V crunches and planks, they will be super hard to start again!     I love planks!  

Question for the group.  As my long runs are getting a bit longer (yesterday was 14 miles), I am finding the need to pee after just a mile or two into the run!  This has happened on the last 3 long runs.  I cannot figure it out, because I go before I leave the house, I don't sip any water on the 15 minute drive to my start point.  So, luckily there is a restroom a few miles in.  Then about 8 miles in, I have to go again!  I am carrying the fuel belt and sipping water (one or two sips every 15 minutes.  It is not sloshing around in my stomach and I don't feel bloated.  I fear that I will feel this way during the race and it will be uncomfortable.  This never happened to me during my half marathon training, but I did have all of those stomach problems and cramping towards the end, which I have Not been having during these long runs. 

The only thing I can think of  is that I am being better about hydrating the few days leading up to the run, I drink a big glass of water before bed and then a half glass when I wake up.  Breakfast is a piece of toast with pb and a cup of hot water (no tea or coffee).   

Anyone have similar problems or suggestions?  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383