BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-26 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2109891

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

Israelg48 - 2009-04-25 2:38 PM Heeey guys, so I just finished the spring at Gustavus (St. Peter, MN)

Everything went well until the run hahaa

i haven't received the splits, but these times are based on my watch

8 min 5 sec swim

39min 7 sec bike

40+ minute run hahaha
  My IT band flared up a mile in and I limped to the finish whoop.

It's a bit frustrating, to say the least, but it was still a lot of fun.  I do hope that PT works.  Has anyone had problems with this before?

Congratulations on just finishing Izzy. THtat's the kind of fortuitude and guts we all like to have in this sports.

2009-04-26 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2110086

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-25 5:03 PM Okay, I've got to share.  I just got home from my first olympic distance race and I kicked butt.  Keep in mind, it's all relative.  I had an original goal of 2:30, but since I have injured my Achilles, I decided that I was going to take it easy on the run and bump it to 2:40.  I finished it in 2:38 and that is without pushing anything.  It was 90 degrees when I started the run, and that  fatigued me pretty quickly.  Other than that, it wasn't too bad.  The swim and the bike were actually pretty easy.  It was my second OWS ever and I did 1500 in 27 minutes.  I was unsure of my biking skills, but managed to put in 1:12 for 24 miles.  I did the 6.25 mile run in 51:52.  That is pretty good for me, considering I am not a natural runner.  In case you can't tell, I'm pretty excited!

Way to go Chris. Those are great times. I wish I was that fast. congrats on a great race.

2009-04-26 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Shannon: As the others have said there is a lot of experience here but there is also a lot of inexperience in the various discilpines. There are a lot of options for your running. I am able equal in all three areas. That doesn't mean I am good just the same all over. Whne I started running about a year and a half ago I could barely make it a minute befoer I was out of breath.  I was so happy to hit 5K. And congrats to you on achieving this.

My worst area last year was swimming and I took a few lessons and improved tremendously over the season and the winter. I would say that seeing a professional would be the best thing for you. They can assess your form and provide specific details on how to improve.

2009-04-26 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Somebody else has to post. I feel so alone on here this morning.

So I saw the chiro yesterday morning and he said (here's where I get into my anatomy knowledge) I had torn the muscle thingy in my arm and that's why it hurts when I do this. He also said don't do that for a awhile.

Actually it is the brachialis muscle which is located under the bicep. Probably caused by doing a lot of upper cuts. He told me not to swim for a while because that would just aggravate the injury. Thankfully I have a decent swim form so can work on my running and biking for a few days. I went for a ride in the afternoon and as long as I was in the areo form no problem. As soon as I came into an upright position and put weight on my arms the upper left arm and shoulder started hurting. Probalby contributed to the sore back I got also. I think I must be getting old. I also have either some fluid or a corn on the ball of my right foot that it is sore when running. Will have to go to the med doc next week to see about that.

2009-04-26 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Dang Rob...Don't fall apart on us!  Nice post padding by the way 
2009-04-26 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2110425

User image

Extreme Veteran
KauaiShan - 2009-04-25 8:54 PM Choo- Choo... "Now arriving at Affirmation Station"

OK folks, it's me... the Super Newbie   I signed up for the group but have been pretty quiet (OK, totally quiet) because I'm sort of in awe of everyone. Is there anyone else in the group who hasn't done a race yet?  I have two this summer and I'm rediculously excited.  Reading all the posts I realize I have soooooo much to learn but I'm trying to take it all in and just keep moving.

So, here's my big issue and I'd sure love to hear from any of you:  I AM THE WORLDS WORST RUNNER.  I swam competetively in high school and college and absolutely love the water. I feel great on my road bike (although my clipless pedals and I are working out a truce).  However, the run just eludes me.  I have been following the Couch 2 5K plan and finally ran my first 5k  (don't laugh - I know it was just a 5k but that was one of my best days ever!)  The issue is that it feels awful Yell     I feel like I'm all over the place - will my body ever figure out a more graceful way to move?  I lost 65 pounds over the past 2 years so maybe my body is saying "what the heck are you doing to me now?"  I read Slow Fat Triathlete and am trying the positive affirmations she suggests (i.e." you can run in straight line with success").

Guess I'm just hoping to hear from anyone in the group who started with zero running experience/talent and can share a bit about how they "got into running".

Also, I have a new Garmin Forerunner 305 and am trying to figure out the integration with BT so it's not yet showing my workouts for the past few days. If any of you have a 305, do you use the Motion Based softwatre or another similar program?

Thanks everbody!  I am so inspired by all of you.

Shannon

Hi Shannon, I have only one sprint tri under my belt.  I think most will agree that people that come from a swimming back ground make for a  better triathlete and also transition into a triathlete much easier..  In fact i know a few people who just freak out during the swim and have to go to a sports psychologists to work on their swim issues so that they can just get into the water.  as most people will say, it just takes time and practice.  I once read in one of the forums that it takes over 5 yrs to reach your running peak so like many of us, we need to put in more time on the road.. 

2009-04-26 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Woo whoo!  I rocked my Du (5k 30k 5k) this morning.  3D is still in the process of posting results and I didn't have a pen to write down my official times, but....  I didn't place in my AG as I found out today that the 30-34 AG is hardcore!! 

I had a long term goal of running a 5k in under 21 minutes.  I figured that would take me some time and it wasn't a goal that I planned on reaching this year as I'm more bike focused, however - I know that my in first 5k today I finished under the 21 minute mark, with an avg of 6:4x something  (my fastest mile per the FR305 was 5:41).  Then I hit my 30k bike in about 53 minutes and my next 5k somewhere around the 22 min mark.  T1: 55 seconds, T2: 33 seconds.  Overall time of 1:38 (My AG winner did it in 1:2x - crazy).  I forgot my FR on the bike after T2, so I didn't have it for the second run, bum deal.  I felt slow and I really wanted to know how I doing.  This is where I need to learn to rely on my body, not my equipment.

I Gu'd once after about 12 miles on the bike.  Other than that I only took some water on the bike after my gel and I took water at the second 5k turn around.

I feel great post race, I ate a banana and a piece of pizza (it was yummy too).  I'll post my official times when they are up, but I'm super stoked!!
2009-04-26 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2111077

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
JHagerman - 2009-04-26 2:11 PM Woo whoo!  I rocked my Du (5k 30k 5k) this morning.  3D is still in the process of posting results and I didn't have a pen to write down my official times, but....  I didn't place in my AG as I found out today that the 30-34 AG is hardcore!! 

I had a long term goal of running a 5k in under 21 minutes.  I figured that would take me some time and it wasn't a goal that I planned on reaching this year as I'm more bike focused, however - I know that my in first 5k today I finished under the 21 minute mark, with an avg of 6:4x something  (my fastest mile per the FR305 was 5:41).  Then I hit my 30k bike in about 53 minutes and my next 5k somewhere around the 22 min mark.  T1: 55 seconds, T2: 33 seconds.  Overall time of 1:38 (My AG winner did it in 1:2x - crazy).  I forgot my FR on the bike after T2, so I didn't have it for the second run, bum deal.  I felt slow and I really wanted to know how I doing.  This is where I need to learn to rely on my body, not my equipment.

I Gu'd once after about 12 miles on the bike.  Other than that I only took some water on the bike after my gel and I took water at the second 5k turn around.

I feel great post race, I ate a banana and a piece of pizza (it was yummy too).  I'll post my official times when they are up, but I'm super stoked!!

Jeremy.  Way to go!!!  You will be placing in your AG for sure this season!
2009-04-26 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
JHagerman - 2009-04-26 2:11 PM Woo whoo!  I rocked my Du (5k 30k 5k) this morning.  3D is still in the process of posting results and I didn't have a pen to write down my official times, but....  I didn't place in my AG as I found out today that the 30-34 AG is hardcore!! 

Way to go Jeremy.  Was that 5:41 on the run or the bike?    That is killing it!
2009-04-26 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Way to go Jeremy.

Under 21 for 5K is an awesome time! I can only hope to reach that one day. My best was just under 25 minutes. You rock Jeremy.

Also not padding the stats I just can't remember everything there is so much going on and if I write it all down on a piece of paper then it takes twice as long to get it all down.

Edited by Redknight 2009-04-26 4:33 PM
2009-04-26 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

OK so maybe I'm padding just a little

2009-04-26 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2110697

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-04-26 5:34 AM
KauaiShan - 2009-04-25 7:54 PM Choo- Choo... "Now arriving at Affirmation Station"

OK folks, it's me... the Super Newbie   I signed up for the group but have been pretty quiet (OK, totally quiet) because I'm sort of in awe of everyone. Is there anyone else in the group who hasn't done a race yet?  I have two this summer and I'm rediculously excited.  Reading all the posts I realize I have soooooo much to learn but I'm trying to take it all in and just keep moving.

So, here's my big issue and I'd sure love to hear from any of you:  I AM THE WORLDS WORST RUNNER.  I swam competetively in high school and college and absolutely love the water. I feel great on my road bike (although my clipless pedals and I are working out a truce).  However, the run just eludes me.  I have been following the Couch 2 5K plan and finally ran my first 5k  (don't laugh - I know it was just a 5k but that was one of my best days ever!)  The issue is that it feels awful Yell     I feel like I'm all over the place - will my body ever figure out a more graceful way to move?  I lost 65 pounds over the past 2 years so maybe my body is saying "what the heck are you doing to me now?"  I read Slow Fat Triathlete and am trying the positive affirmations she suggests (i.e." you can run in straight line with success").

Guess I'm just hoping to hear from anyone in the group who started with zero running experience/talent and can share a bit about how they "got into running".

Also, I have a new Garmin Forerunner 305 and am trying to figure out the integration with BT so it's not yet showing my workouts for the past few days. If any of you have a 305, do you use the Motion Based softwatre or another similar program?

Thanks everbody!  I am so inspired by all of you.

Shannon

Shannon

Most of us in this group are VERY new to triathlon. While I have done marathons, I've done a whopping one mini sprint and two sprints! Join in and ask questions, we will learn together.  Never feel stupid or inexperienced.

Second, I am totally in awe of someone who can swim like a fish.  You are so lucky and your knowledge could probably help us alot.  Most people don't do triathlons because their swim stinks so you are ahead of the pack.  I suppose you swam everyday at Brenecke's Beach-totally jealous!!!

Re: your running.  It sounds like your issues are mainly form related?  If so, you have a couple of options.  You can get a gait analysis done with a PT or even a Fleet Feet type store.  You could also join a beginners runners group.  We have many in Madison.  They are often affiliated with a running or tri store.  The other option is to be a voracious reader (which it sounds like you are doing), search out articles on running form and drills.  That is what I did when I started out seven years ago.  I could not run for more than a couple of minutes without pooping out.  I did the run/walk program for my first marathon.  Do what it takes to get better and chunk it out that way you won't get discouraged.  I need to do the same thing for swimming!

I do have the Forerunner 305.  I don't typically upload my data to BT , but here is the article that tells you how to do it.  I use motionbased mainly, but will soon start using Training Peaks.

PS. My favorite form fixers start with the arms--make sure you are moving them front to back and not across your body.  Those who have a lot of cross over waste energy and probably feel off balance. My second piece of advice is to tuck the pelvis, it will allow you to stand more upright and get your legs under your torso better.  Finally, don't overstride.  Your feet should not land too far out in front you.  It causes a breaking action which often leads to shin pain.  The goal is higher turnover.

Suzy

We look forward to hearing more from you.  Where are those swimming tips?

Hey Suzy..Those are really good running tips. I am definitely going to be more conscience of my arms. I flail them all over, and I am going to watch that more for sure.

P.S. love the new avatar! NOw i really know who you are!

And Shannon..I echo everyone. I only did my 1st tri in March. So we have a bunch of newbies. SHe sponge off these wiley veterans as much as we can.
2009-04-26 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2110855

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Redknight - 2009-04-26 8:52 AM

Somebody else has to post. I feel so alone on here this morning.

So I saw the chiro yesterday morning and he said (here's where I get into my anatomy knowledge) I had torn the muscle thingy in my arm and that's why it hurts when I do this. He also said don't do that for a awhile.

Actually it is the brachialis muscle which is located under the bicep. Probably caused by doing a lot of upper cuts. He told me not to swim for a while because that would just aggravate the injury. Thankfully I have a decent swim form so can work on my running and biking for a few days. I went for a ride in the afternoon and as long as I was in the areo form no problem. As soon as I came into an upright position and put weight on my arms the upper left arm and shoulder started hurting. Probalby contributed to the sore back I got also. I think I must be getting old. I also have either some fluid or a corn on the ball of my right foot that it is sore when running. Will have to go to the med doc next week to see about that.

Good thing you are not a horse Rob!! get well my friend!
2009-04-26 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Congrats Jermey, very fast stuff, would love to run that fast.

Sorry Trevor didn't puke today...  I did feel kind of crappy at the finish if that makes you feel better.  I was hammering the bike and kind of forgot to drink, lol.

Had a good race. 3rd in AG (out of 10)  11 overall (out of 57).

LOL ran 8:04/mile pace and got crushed 7/10 in AG, was pretty happy with the run but no way I could touch some of the faster times 5:30 was fastest, granted it was only 2 mi run but still....

Just put up my race report.  Went to a tent sale at a local running store in the afternoon, free beer + race = tired Tony...

2009-04-26 8:16 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Great Job!  A 5k PR before the bike and second run - that great!

Andy

2009-04-26 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
JHagerman - 2009-04-26 3:11 PM Woo whoo!  I rocked my Du (5k 30k 5k) this morning.  3D is still in the process of posting results and I didn't have a pen to write down my official times, but....  I didn't place in my AG as I found out today that the 30-34 AG is hardcore!! 

Congrats on a great race! 

2009-04-26 8:31 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

OK - need some help from you experienced swimmers.  I have two speeds when I swim.  Sink or churn.  What are some helpful hints to help with pacing?  I get winded on doing 100's, but I know I should be able to hit a nice easy rhythm.  I have to solve this little problem if I am going to have any success in the triathlon world!

Any and all advice welcome

-Andy

Edited by ashort33 2009-04-26 8:31 PM
2009-04-26 8:59 PM

I look forward to hearing input on this. I too felt the same way. I would be told "Do this interval at 75% effort, then do one at 85% effort" I had "go' or "don't go", not % in between!

What I did learn was it was "effort" not speed they were saying but I was not hearing. How to understand it was do a 25 at easy pace, almost "lilydipping" as we would say in the canoeing world. Then do a 25 at all out effort, totally bagged at the end. Those are the two extremes so you now have two paces, in addition to your "sink" pace. Now work a little in between and you will get a handle on the various speeds (which will relate to effort)

Experienced swimmers, if I am wrong, please correct me as that is my understanding of it.

Edited by ShawnR 2009-04-26 9:02 PM
2009-04-26 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2111660

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
ashort33 - 2009-04-26 9:31 PM

OK - need some help from you experienced swimmers.  I have two speeds when I swim.  Sink or churn.  What are some helpful hints to help with pacing?  I get winded on doing 100's, but I know I should be able to hit a nice easy rhythm.  I have to solve this little problem if I am going to have any success in the triathlon world!

Any and all advice welcome

-Andy

Andy,

The best advice I can give is to #1 - remain relaxed.  The more flailing you do, the more energy you expend.  #2, use your glide.  You don't always have to have your arms moving 100 mph.  I can swim just as fast (or faster) than many people in my pool doing 1/2 the amount of work.  Work on your pull and make sure you glide.  This will also help control your breathing.  Sounds simple, but it is very beneficial.  Work your way up from there.

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2009-04-26 9:31 PM
2009-04-26 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
JHagerman - 2009-04-26 3:11 PM Woo whoo!  I rocked my Du (5k 30k 5k) this morning.  3D is still in the process of posting results and I didn't have a pen to write down my official times, but....  I didn't place in my AG as I found out today that the 30-34 AG is hardcore!! 

Way to go!  21 minutes?  That is flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Great race!
2009-04-26 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Shannon,

First off, Welcome to BT!!  This is such a great site with great people.  You will learn so much.  Don't feel bad at all about lack of race experience.  It sounds like most people in here have very little experience.  Yesterday was only my third tri ever. 

I am with you with the running.  I am not a runner and am thinking I might never be.  I am slow, but I've got something to work towards.  I decided that from the beginning.  When I race, it is a race against my goals and nothing more.  That is my motivation for training and racing.  I will warn you against one thing~  TRI'S ARE ADDICTIVE!  The most important thing is to have fun!  Feel free to ask anyone anything.

2009-04-26 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Someone asked for race pics yesterday.  Finally got them off my camera.  They are in my album if you want to see them.
2009-04-26 10:32 PM

User image

Andy,  I agree with Chris.  Make sure you are getting a good pull.  Your arms can be ultra fast, but flailing fast arms in the water will not get you anywhere.  Make sure you are getting a good long pull -  stretch it out in front (really reaching) and follow through past your swim suit.  Maybe try counting strokes and see what you are getting each lap.  Then try to decrease the number of strokes.  Also, maybe check into using paddles in training.   You can really work on technique with paddles.
2009-04-26 10:48 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Andy,

Assuming you have some basic technique going for you, Suzy did something a few months back that really helped me.  I felt like I was getting winded doing 3 or 4 hundred myself.  Suzy was talking about doing a swim for 20 or 30 minutes solid.  I decided to try that, and found that after the first few hundred yards, where I would normally want to grab the wall, I got in a rhythm and found that I could breathe much better.  Now, I feel that normally my first few hundred yards are the toughest.
2009-04-27 4:49 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Steelcase Grand Duathlon (5k 30k 5k) Race Report
MALE AGE GROUP 30 - 34
Place Ag Sex Rank Run1 Pace T1 Rank Bike Rate T2 Rank Run2 Pace Finish
7/12  30 M     9   21:03  6:47    0:55    6   53:20  20.9    0:33   10   22:33  7:16 1:38:21 

Official Results!

Thank you all!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383