BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-02-23 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3368353

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
hang in there, mylissa!  you are so close to your race date...  you will feel so great when you cross that finish line!!  and all your hard work will pay off!!    hope your muscle ache lets up...

2011-02-23 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
i have put my workouts on hold for a day or 2 until i get rid of this horrible barking cough.  there has not been a lot of sleep in this household lately!  my kids have all had fevers and coughing.  i can't get rid of this thing either!  i had been trying to get my workouts in, but i think some rest is what i really need.  hope to be feeling better by the end of the week.  i don't want to miss too many days... 
2011-02-23 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3359685

User image

Pro
Houston
juniperjen - 2011-02-17 9:34 AM Hi All, how it's it going?

This week is a little wonky with my DH out on a ski trip.  I started to look up some info on compression clothing and should get something later today.  Let's start though, do any of you have any compression garments?

Keri, I know you do but you mentioned that you've hardly had a chance to use them

I bought my DH a pair of compression tights from 2XU that are geared for recovery.  He now even wears them when he's travelling and sitting for a long period of time.  From what i've read, initially compression socks were geared to help with recovery.  They improve blood flow and are actually based on the medical garments used - i know my uncle had them when he had his knees replaced.  But that has actually shifted and you'll see a whole host of people from the top pros to normal Age groupers wearing compression socks or sleeves (socks with no foot, easier to swim in, given the triathlon thing) during training and racing.  The science has been a little iffy on how much it helps during but definitely supports the recovery - and frankly, the use of them is really growing so there likely is something to it.

Personally, I know I could use a pair for my calves after a long bike or run ... and I am curious to try them out. I just haven't go so far as to actually buy a pair.

And if you know some brands, CWX has been making tights that have specific compression to deal with some issues for some time.  Have any of you tried them out? And all kinds of types of compression gear is hitting the market - shirts, tights, socks, sleeves, etc.

I have the 2XU calf sleeves you see in my pic. My husband has the Zoot recovery tights he paid a small fortune for and though he likes them the fit leaves a LOT to be desired. They have a measurement chart to help you get the right size but his are always falling down and I mean WAY down. They are also stirrup style and the stirrup cut through his foot and gave him a nasty blister so now he just puts his foot all the way through them.

I am eyeing some 2XU full recovery tights myself to use after long runs and long rides.
2011-02-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3366039

User image

Pro
Houston
BigDH - 2011-02-21 8:15 PM
juniperjen - 2011-02-21 6:03 AM So Darren, how was it??? How are you feeling!! Huge congrats on your race!!!

It was great. 5:51, which is a PB by 26 minutes or so. real good.

That is incredibly awesome!!!
2011-02-23 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Don't hurt yourselves falling off your chairs but Keri is finally getting consistent! My Oly is 5.5 weeks out and it's time to get serious! Actually it was time to get serious about a month ago but better late than never right?

Monday - Swim & Run - Done
Tuesday - Swim & Bike - Done
Wednesday - Long Run
Thursday - Swim
Friday - Bike
Saturday - Run - taking the two boys to Stephen F. Austin University about 3 hours away to visit the campus so I have to get my run done early.
Sunday - Bike

During my run I have to cross this 2 times in the beginning and at the end of the Oly so it's time to start hitting hills which are hard to come by in this part of the country. I will actually start running the bridge next weekend.

(East2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
East2.jpg (94KB - 6 downloads)
2011-02-23 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3368447

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
debbiereid06 - 2011-02-23 10:32 AM
mylissahorrocks - 2011-02-23 8:47 AM Well I'll chime in...
So far, I don't think I've officially missed any workouts on this whole "complete a tri March 12" plan. Here's this week:

Monday: 4mi run (added my me) actual: 3.6 SLOW miles
Tuesday: 30 min zone II swim, 20 min strength again, SLOW swim, although felt like HR was up
Wednesday: 45 min bike, 45 run (brick)
Thursday: swim 20 zone I, strength 20
Friday: off
Saturday: 5K

So I've been having a very strange sort of muscle ache around the back of my ribcage/kidney area that I've never experienced before. Been stretching and taking Ibuprofen the last two days. Honestly, this week, really since the brick last Saturday that felt disappointing for some reason, has just been NOT FUN.  Sort of not really wanting to do this any longer - for me, working out has always been stress release for me - and now this feels like work, and work that this week isn't netting results. So...I'm working on remembering that I had a GREAT week last week, and if nothing else I'm getting the workouts in with the help of my family, and trying to keep this whole thing in perspective! I prayed specifically this morning for a restoration of joy...that I would really begin to enjoy this again! Just a couple more weeks to go...
Sorry to whine!!!

You are not whining!  Hang in there Mylissa!!  You can totally do this!

Maybe a massage might be in order ... that wouldn't be such a bad thing, would it? See if there's a kink in there that a massage therapist can work out. 

And, occassionally training is a bummer - either it takes up too much time or your head is not in it.  That's okay, it's all part and parcel of the process.  It's okay to give in sometimes but getting keeping going when you don't want to can be part of the huge accomplishment of getting to the start line.  This is a hobby and you don't have to do anything you don't want to do - take care of yourself - it's hard to know when to push and when to rest or get help!!

2011-02-23 11:26 PM
in reply to: #3368809

User image

Memphis
kpringle - 2011-02-23 12:21 PMi have put my workouts on hold for a day or 2 until i get rid of this horrible barking cough.  there has not been a lot of sleep in this household lately!  my kids have all had fevers and coughing.  i can't get rid of this thing either!  i had been trying to get my workouts in, but i think some rest is what i really need.  hope to be feeling better by the end of the week.  i don't want to miss too many days... 
Kristen, Soo sorry you are sick!!! No fun at all. And thanks everyone for your encouragement! Doing much better today. you guys rock!!
2011-02-24 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
well my body beat my brain this morning and I did not get up.  I am okay with that, but my husband was made this morning because the alarm went off twice before he had to get up.  Oh well...maybe if he were working out he would have been up alreadyWink.  I just could not do it this morning.  I have step class tomorrow and thank goodness I see the instructor every morning at the gym and she gives me grief if I don't show! (per my request).  So I will be back on the wagon tomorrow!
2011-02-24 4:54 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
After my long run yesterday I took an ice bath and put the calf sleeves on and slept in them last night. The grippers at the top of the calf kind of bugged me but I didn't think much of it. I took them off as soon as I woke up this morning, it is almost 5pm and you can still see the pink lines on my legs. In a couple of spots I actually have tiny blisters where the gripper was. So if you get calf sleeves with grippers roll down the gripper part. I know the Zoot ones don't have grippers but they have to be on a certain way and getting them on was exhausting, not something I want to wrestle with when I am dog tired after a long run.
2011-02-25 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3371352

User image

Champion
Calgary
KeriKadi - 2011-02-24 3:54 PM

After my long run yesterday I took an ice bath and put the calf sleeves on and slept in them last night. The grippers at the top of the calf kind of bugged me but I didn't think much of it. I took them off as soon as I woke up this morning, it is almost 5pm and you can still see the pink lines on my legs. In a couple of spots I actually have tiny blisters where the gripper was. So if you get calf sleeves with grippers roll down the gripper part. I know the Zoot ones don't have grippers but they have to be on a certain way and getting them on was exhausting, not something I want to wrestle with when I am dog tired after a long run.

but did they work?
2011-02-25 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3371965

User image

Pro
Houston
BigDH - 2011-02-25 7:59 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-02-24 3:54 PM After my long run yesterday I took an ice bath and put the calf sleeves on and slept in them last night. The grippers at the top of the calf kind of bugged me but I didn't think much of it. I took them off as soon as I woke up this morning, it is almost 5pm and you can still see the pink lines on my legs. In a couple of spots I actually have tiny blisters where the gripper was. So if you get calf sleeves with grippers roll down the gripper part. I know the Zoot ones don't have grippers but they have to be on a certain way and getting them on was exhausting, not something I want to wrestle with when I am dog tired after a long run.
but did they work?

Good question. I think I'd have to say yes. After long runs my calves are usually very tight. My legs are plenty sore today but it's my quads just some a little fatigue in my calves. I think it might be time to order tights. If I were going to do it all over again I would probably skip the calf sleeves and go with full tights w/o feet but I have used the calf sleeves for warmth on the bike over the cooler months.

2011-02-26 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far!  I had a good masters swim today.  I talked my friend into going (she is doing the same sprint tri with me in June), so it was fun to have a buddy there.  I did a longer than usual run for me last night, so my legs have been tired all day but they are tired in a good way, not painful way.

I know this is not a very technical discussion topic, but I was wondering what people prefer for fuel/energy gels, gus, etc.?  I just bought a few different types/flavors this afternoon to try them out, but wanted to throw that out there to the group to see what you like best...
2011-02-26 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Mylissa, how did it go today at your 5K???!!
2011-02-26 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3373837

User image

Memphis
kpringle - 2011-02-26 6:51 PM Mylissa, how did it go today at your 5K???!!

Hey Kristen!!
It went SO WELL!!! I was waiting till I had results to post here...seriously, I made a time I don't think I've made before - pace of 10.26! Time was 32.20. So fun!! Race report is here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=243158

Thanks so much everyone for your help and support!!! you guys are amazing!!
2011-02-26 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3373836

User image

Memphis
kpringle - 2011-02-26 6:50 PM Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far!  I had a good masters swim today.  I talked my friend into going (she is doing the same sprint tri with me in June), so it was fun to have a buddy there.  I did a longer than usual run for me last night, so my legs have been tired all day but they are tired in a good way, not painful way.

I know this is not a very technical discussion topic, but I was wondering what people prefer for fuel/energy gels, gus, etc.?  I just bought a few different types/flavors this afternoon to try them out, but wanted to throw that out there to the group to see what you like best...

Kristen,
obviously I am WAAY brand new to this, but I also was testing some gels...on a long bike day a while back I tried the GU lemon sublime. It wasn't bad - and I think it gave me some additional go for the leg back. Now, the other day for a 1.5 hour brick, I did a GU mandarin orange in "transition". It totally made my stomach feel sick and crampy - dont think I can use these right before running like that. This week, I bought some shot bloks and GU chewables - haven't had the chance to try them yet but I am wondering if that will be a better fit for me. I've definitely been having more weird stomach issues than ever before since I've been working out this year. Will let you know how it goes!
2011-02-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3373985

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
mylissahorrocks - 2011-02-26 11:37 PM

Hey Kristen!!
It went SO WELL!!! I was waiting till I had results to post here...seriously, I made a time I don't think I've made before - pace of 10.26! Time was 32.20. So fun!! Race report is here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=243158

Congratulations, Mylissa!  Awesome job!!

2011-02-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3373836

User image

Champion
Calgary
kpringle - 2011-02-26 5:50 PM

Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far!  I had a good masters swim today.  I talked my friend into going (she is doing the same sprint tri with me in June), so it was fun to have a buddy there.  I did a longer than usual run for me last night, so my legs have been tired all day but they are tired in a good way, not painful way.

I eat whatever is on the course. As for flavors, I hate banana, chocolate, mocha, the rest are tolerable.

I don't generally use them when training as they are so expensive and I am such a tight wad, and I hardly need the extra calories.

If I am out on a race longer than a HM though I try to take one per hour.

You have to be careful with them, some of them you used to HAVE to take with water, although I don't think that is the case as often anymore.

If you are using them in a triathlon be careful. It is easy to eat too many of them on the bike and then out on the run they start to, um, run through you, if you are not careful.
2011-02-27 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Nice job on the race, Mylissa!!! Congrats on a new PR!!

As for nutrition - that's a great question.  Today on my run i took gels.  My preferred one for a while has been the Gu - lemon sublime but recently tried chocolate and it was good.

I've tried a whole host of things. For when I started trying nutrition things and training for half marathons and longer I really liked Sharkies and Jelly Belly Sport Beans - which are chewable and easy to portion out.  The sport beans I eventually found too sweet but they are tasty.  As i started to run harder i found it harder to chew on things (and in winter the chewing could be on frozen things) so i moved on to gels.

Generally for sprint tri length I won't take anything in particular. I had one on a hot day last year and put some gatorade on my bike to sip on.

But for my Half Iron where nutrition is much more important I trained with Gu Chomps on the bike.  Again, chewable and easy to take bit by bit.  And then I would do gels and water on the run.
2011-02-27 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3373985

User image

Pro
Houston
mylissahorrocks - 2011-02-26 10:37 PM

Hey Kristen!!

Awesome! Way to go Mama!
2011-02-27 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go Mylissa!!!
2011-02-27 11:26 PM
in reply to: #3374526

User image

Memphis
juniperjen - 2011-02-27 4:39 PM Nice job on the race, Mylissa!!! Congrats on a new PR!!

As for nutrition - that's a great question.  Today on my run i took gels.  My preferred one for a while has been the Gu - lemon sublime but recently tried chocolate and it was good.

I've tried a whole host of things. For when I started trying nutrition things and training for half marathons and longer I really liked Sharkies and Jelly Belly Sport Beans - which are chewable and easy to portion out.  The sport beans I eventually found too sweet but they are tasty.  As i started to run harder i found it harder to chew on things (and in winter the chewing could be on frozen things) so i moved on to gels.

Generally for sprint tri length I won't take anything in particular. I had one on a hot day last year and put some gatorade on my bike to sip on.

But for my Half Iron where nutrition is much more important I trained with Gu Chomps on the bike.  Again, chewable and easy to take bit by bit.  And then I would do gels and water on the run.

really good advice jen! i really feel like I could do the tri without anything extra...except for that weird cramping/jellyish feeling I keep getting in my stomach. I really feel like whats happening is that I am always eating too much or not enough. I am hoping if I have the chomps or something with me, if my tummy's acting up, maybe it will help to have something to chew on...not sure!!! Will use them this week on the longer workouts and see. The cramping feeling is not like a side stitch at all...its really like a hunger pain sort of feeling...and then just a gurgly stomach...and I never run with water, so its not like I'm overloading on fluid or something. So strange.

2011-02-28 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Happy Monday Everyone!

Can you believe today is the last day of February!!! Anyway, I had a great training week last week and I am hoping to keep it up!

what's on tap for you this week?

Thoughts on nutrition?
2011-02-28 9:34 AM

User image

Memphis
well, here we go yo (thats a Tribe Called Quest reference)

-all three kids sick with bad RSV/sinus stuff
-packing for Disney (leave in car 4am Sunday)
-heavy/hard training week (last week before taper)

I think thats it!!! Laughing, just a little.
2011-02-28 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
I am glad February is gone!  I love March and the coming of Spring...Here is what is on tap for me this week.

M-20 min. elipt./20 min. strength
T-3 mile run
W-rest
R-3 mile run
F-Body Step
S-rest
S-5.25 mile run

As far as nutrition goes, I don't know too much.  I follow weight watchers and definately eat my share of points that I get for exercising, but I have been making better food decisions since starting.  I have been getting in 3-4 fruits/veggies a day where as before I was maybe 1. 

While I am running I always have 1/2 G2 mixed with 1/2 water.  I need a little flavor in my water.  That is all I had with me during my 5 yesterday and was fine with just that.  After I run for that long I always have a big glass of chocolate milk after Wink
2011-02-28 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Mylissa: that sounds like a busy week!!! It is awesome that your tri is coming up so soon!

For me this week is:

M: swim 30, bike 60
T: run intervals (10x400, I think), strength (trying out a new video)
W: swim 45, bike 35
T: run tempo, swim group
F: rest or yoga
S: run - 30k (peak week for the run)
S: bike 60-ish, i think.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35