BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-02-24 8:41 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Oakville
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

I have never seen one for HIM so I made you one we could debate :-) Assumption is an accurate FTP which is a BIG assumption it seems

Marc - I can follow the chart you posted earlier in relation to the run and have seen that chart before, but maybe its because its early in the day and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I'm struggling to figure out the 2nd chart above for the bike.

As an example, if I execute the HIM bike at 80% of my FTP, the green zone shows 165.  So, if I bike the course in 165 min/2h45 or less, I'd be good?

I'm trying to figure out how the numbers in the green zones match up with the left hand column - for 0.8 intensity, 165 lines up with 155 min/2h35.

2016-02-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by Stuartap I have ordered from them I think twice. No problem getting what I ordered and the quality was as advertised. Obviously it took a bit longer but I expected that. I have no idea what they do about the paperwork for importing but it was delivered just like anything else without me having to do anything special. I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

I placed an order yesterday - torque wrench, latex tubes, valve extensions and gels.

Will let you all know how it goes.

2016-02-24 9:45 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71

I have never seen one for HIM so I made you one we could debate :-) Assumption is an accurate FTP which is a BIG assumption it seems

Marc - I can follow the chart you posted earlier in relation to the run and have seen that chart before, but maybe its because its early in the day and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I'm struggling to figure out the 2nd chart above for the bike.

As an example, if I execute the HIM bike at 80% of my FTP, the green zone shows 165.  So, if I bike the course in 165 min/2h45 or less, I'd be good?

I'm trying to figure out how the numbers in the green zones match up with the left hand column - for 0.8 intensity, 165 lines up with 155 min/2h35.

The 165 in the green box is total bike TSS. So if you ride the 80% column for the 155min row it gives you a TSS of 165 which is about right.
I used TSS to match the other chart Kevin posted which is for IM at around 270TSS

2016-02-24 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here is one for Oly as well, would like to get your opinions

(Screenshot 2016-02-24 10.46.10.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2016-02-24 10.46.10.png (73KB - 2 downloads)
2016-02-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

All the Oly's I've done were around int he 1:03-1:05 range (was actually a little faster, but most courses were closer to 24-24.5 miles rather than 24.85).  I don't think I've ever biked at .90 IF.  Closer to .88 to .89.  Of course I was never that good of a runner, so while I did bike hard, I did hold back a little knowing that I would be running about 4-7 minutes longer than the other guys biking around my range that were good runners.  If I knew I only had to run for 42-43 minutes (instead of 47-49) after an Oly bike...I'd probably ride closer to .91 to .92.

Edited by Jason N 2016-02-24 1:27 PM
2016-02-24 3:44 PM

User image

Oakville

I've only done 1 Olympic and raced it a 94% intensity, which would put me into the red zone on that chart at 1h06. 

BUT, I am pretty sure that my FTP was low as I did have a decent run at around 15-20 seconds / km slower than my best open 10K time that year.

I plan on doing 1 or 2 Olympics this year and so am curious if others agree with Marc's chart.

I don't intend to pace any Sprint races by power, but for an Olympic and longer I will be keep an eye on the PM.

ETA I just checked my data from that race and the IF was actually 97.6% and so well off of Marc's chart - FTP was definitely low.  

Edited by Scott71 2016-02-24 3:56 PM

2016-02-24 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

Assumption is an accurate FTP which is a BIG assumption it seems

So IMO I feel like many people overestimate their FTP or CP, whichever they use. I see it all the time when people test..."I felt like I could've done better....pushed 5 watts more...." etc. Problem is you are only as good as your test, or the accumulation of a lot of your rides. This is why I am not really big on testing, nor do I really prescribed it much anymore. I feel like people need to test to validate their weekly progress and use the test number as a security blanket if their race day performance comes up short. Personally for me I see more value and success on just adding load and see how the body responds. Was the same session easier then it was 4 weeks ago? Yeah? Okay you are getting more fit, stronger, however you want to term it. I could go on with this but that is another discussion for another day.

Edited by bcagle25 2016-02-24 8:33 PM
2016-02-25 7:27 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket Assumption is an accurate FTP which is a BIG assumption it seems
So IMO I feel like many people overestimate their FTP or CP, whichever they use. I see it all the time when people test..."I felt like I could've done better....pushed 5 watts more...." etc. Problem is you are only as good as your test, or the accumulation of a lot of your rides. This is why I am not really big on testing, nor do I really prescribed it much anymore. I feel like people need to test to validate their weekly progress and use the test number as a security blanket if their race day performance comes up short. Personally for me I see more value and success on just adding load and see how the body responds. Was the same session easier then it was 4 weeks ago? Yeah? Okay you are getting more fit, stronger, however you want to term it. I could go on with this but that is another discussion for another day.

Ben-I absolutely agree with you.  In part because I despise testing.  I have not tested in over a year. The last time I did I was 302 watts for 20 min @ 161 pounds.  Using the 95% equals FTP would yield 286.9. That's a joke. No way I could do that for an hour.  Now I am using 275 as my FTP for training purposes. I don't really approach races with idea of riding at a specific percentage of FTP.  I have done enough races that I feel like I have a pretty good idea as to what watts I can ride for a sprint, oly and HIM and still have a good run.  I also adjust depending on the course, conditions, temperature and how I feel.  My opinion is that way more people over do it on the bike than under do it.  Power on the bike is great in racing but should be considered in light of other factors.   

2016-02-25 7:35 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am always embarrassed by how low my FTP is. I have just never seen any kind of huge gains on the bike. It means my projected watts for an IM or a HIM are always pretty low. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have almost always ended up lower than my predicted watts at the end of a race. As I have said, it leads to disappointing bike splits but usually a fairly gratifying run split. The real point of this post is that I am willing to accept a lower power number on the bike if it feels too hard on race day. For better (usually?) or worse.

I am not sure what my issue is on the bike. I have never really learned how to hurt on the bike. I consider it a character flaw. I am more than happy to get on that ragged edge of suffering on the run and stay there for a couple hours but the same level of 'pain' on the bike makes me pull back every time. Maybe a year where I rode A LOT! more would help fix this problem.

One thing that I definitely try to do while racing is have my power be even. Last year at Muskoka, which is a fairly hilly course, people would be blowing by me on the uphills like I was standing still. This was very hard on my ego. However, I could look down at my power numbers and know that I was at the very upper limits of what I wanted to be doing and I knew that those folks flying by me had to be crushing huge numbers. Interestingly, I would try to maintain my goal power over the top of the hills and in to the down hill and invariably I would be flying by the people who had passed me on the climb. Those folks all blew up horribly in the run (or at least I never saw them again). It was also fun to see people walking late in the run who passed me early on in the bike. I always have to remind myself that it is not a race to T2.

In that same vein, in spite of my pitifully low power numbers, my bike splits are usually better than you would predict given the numbers. I think it speaks to my attention to details when it comes to bike set up. I have optimized my aerodynamic position as much as I can (I think---although a visit to ERO or Alphamantis would be very fun to tweak things). I don't have a lot of stuff hangin off of my bike. I "always" use a rear disk. I use latex tubes and low CRR tires. I wear a sleeved, one-piece suit.
2016-02-25 7:41 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I read this post, from Endurance Nation, prior to my first IM. Following the advice in this post probably led to a slower bike split than I could have ridden but it also led to a 3:32 marathon on a very hot day in Hawaii (with a 5 minute potty break thrown in). Overall I think it helped me. I think it is good reading for anyone doing long-course racing.

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-endurance-na...

ETA. I just reread the entire thing and I think it is as good today as the first time I read it. Especially for first time IM racers. Funny and genius.

Edited by wannabefaster 2016-02-25 7:46 AM
2016-02-25 8:49 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by wannabefasterI have just never seen any kind of huge gains on the bike. It means my projected watts for an IM or a HIM are always pretty low. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have almost always ended up lower than my predicted watts at the end of a race. As I have said, it leads to disappointing bike splits but usually a fairly gratifying run split. The real point of this post is that I am willing to accept a lower power number on the bike if it feels too hard on race day.

I am notoriously bad about under-shooting my power on race day -- only by a couple watts back in January, but have been 15+ watts low in other races.  However, mine is more because I'm a bad runner and I "ride scared".  My brain is telling me that it's too hard and I'm going to blow up on the run, even if it's right in line with power that I've trained with and tested (nutrition and ability to run off the bike).

My (tongue in cheek) plan always starts out as "bike hard because you know your run is going to suck anyways"!  Luckily, I can't / won't actually do that -- my bike splits have allowed me to have a decent (for me) run a number of times, with negative- or even-splitting my runs at St. George, Buffalo Springs, Mont Tremblant, and Pucon.  Totally blew up at Galveston last year, despite falling way short of my power target on the bike....was just not a good race for me!

2016-02-25 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by wannabefasterI have just never seen any kind of huge gains on the bike. It means my projected watts for an IM or a HIM are always pretty low. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have almost always ended up lower than my predicted watts at the end of a race. As I have said, it leads to disappointing bike splits but usually a fairly gratifying run split. The real point of this post is that I am willing to accept a lower power number on the bike if it feels too hard on race day.

I am notoriously bad about under-shooting my power on race day -- only by a couple watts back in January, but have been 15+ watts low in other races.  However, mine is more because I'm a bad runner and I "ride scared".  My brain is telling me that it's too hard and I'm going to blow up on the run, even if it's right in line with power that I've trained with and tested (nutrition and ability to run off the bike).

My (tongue in cheek) plan always starts out as "bike hard because you know your run is going to suck anyways"!  Luckily, I can't / won't actually do that -- my bike splits have allowed me to have a decent (for me) run a number of times, with negative- or even-splitting my runs at St. George, Buffalo Springs, Mont Tremblant, and Pucon.  Totally blew up at Galveston last year, despite falling way short of my power target on the bike....was just not a good race for me!

For Pucon your TSS was 168.2, IF was .79, 2h42ish time, which if I look at the table is exactly where it should be. You didn't walk the run at all and it's safe to say you finished the event on fuel vapors. I would say that pacing was done to perfection.

You also have a very precise CP (IMO) and you do your workouts at a very precise place so you are getting the most bang for your time buck.

This to me is the reason you want an accurate CP. We have limited time on the trainer and you want to use it as efficiently as possible. A crap load of riding will bring great fitness but unfortunately many of us don't have that luxury in time or conditions. Threshold is a "magical" place to be and a little under and a little over are pretty different things.

I *think* (only races will confirm) but I think my bike fitness has improved a lot since I went through what I believe were my flaws and started addressing them one by one. I am seeing results in my numbers, hands down.

I need to do the same for my swimming but have to say am not in the mood for it.

Edited by marcag 2016-02-25 10:07 AM
2016-02-25 11:18 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Nice charts Marc, thanks for that.
I think I'm the opposite of some of you guys. I'm more willing to suffer on the bike much more then on the run. I tend to do my long rides with a group of friends whom are faster then me. Lots of times I'm just hanging on trying to keep up. Sometimes when I pull into my driveway I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stand when I get off the bike. I'm guessing this leads me to overcook the bike in a triathlon. What "feels" like a easy pace by RPE is actually too hard because I'm accustomed to riding hard. This is why I bought a power meter, I just don't trust my RPE anymore. I plan to do more long rides this year at race power so I can figure out what it should "feel" like. For example, 3 hours at 75% of FTP for a HIM prep.
2016-02-25 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I *think* (only races will confirm) but I think my bike fitness has improved a lot since I went through what I believe were my flaws and started addressing them one by one. I am seeing results in my numbers, hands down. I need to do the same for my swimming but have to say am not in the mood for it.

How did you pinpoint your flaws and what did you do to address them? 

I concur about swimming....I'm not in the mood for that either.  Oh, you meant addressing flaws, right?  I'm just not in the mood for swimming

Edited by ligersandtions 2016-02-25 12:35 PM
2016-02-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran

I *think* (only races will confirm) but I think my bike fitness has improved a lot since I went through what I believe were my flaws and started addressing them one by one. I am seeing results in my numbers, hands down. I need to do the same for my swimming but have to say am not in the mood for it.

How did you pinpoint your flaws and what did you do to address them? 

I concur about swimming....I'm not in the mood for that either.  Oh, you meant addressing flaws, right?  I'm just not in the mood for swimming

I am a big believer in breaking down the things that make up a good run or bike and identifying what parts I am better at and where my weakness are. For example right now on the track I am seeing I have really good top end speed but I can't hold it. I need to do threshold work on the run. I was running 200s today on the track and I was running them faster than I have ever run. Then I decide slow down a bit, go longer and man did I suffer.

The whole power profiling and fatigue profiling topics brought up in Coggan's book can be applied to biking and running (IMO). One the bike, I definitely relied more on anaerobic capacity than you.

Last year I spent a lot of time last year staying at my aerobic threshold (not LT). That seemed to help. I also spent more time just at or just above LT.

Previously with a overstated FTP I was way more often at VO2max type efforts and I couldn't bump my roof up any more. My roof would stay high but my ceiling would drop as the season progressed. I have to avoid this moving forward. I think I have really zero'd in on my true threshold (not necessarily FTP)

I am measuring all these things independently and look for plateaus and weakness.

I also have been working musculur endurance quite a bit and that is showing some good signs. It's all theory, when the snow melts I have to confirm it :-)
2016-02-25 3:45 PM

User image

Oakville

x3 on the swimming.  Will be going to the Y tonight for a swim and it will be a struggle.

I've decided that this is the year that I finally ditch the pull buoy and work on improving my freestyle. Its been a bit of a hiatus for me, and so once I get some swim fitness back I will be looking into getting a swim analysis to see what I need to do to improve.

2016-02-25 7:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

x3 on the swimming.  Will be going to the Y tonight for a swim and it will be a struggle.

I've decided that this is the year that I finally ditch the pull buoy and work on improving my freestyle. Its been a bit of a hiatus for me, and so once I get some swim fitness back I will be looking into getting a swim analysis to see what I need to do to improve.

Another outside link.....

http://theraceclub.com/category/aqua-notes/

This was linked on ST. I always like to read what Gary Hall has to say about swimming. He has forgotten more about swimming than I will every know.

One thing that caught my eye was his discussion about high elbows being the most hydrodynamic position for swimming. The high elbow helps maximize your catch but it also helps reduce your frontal drag. I thought about this for my entire swim session today and it went pretty well with me swimming a little teeny bit faster than normal.

I have developed a mostly love, occasionally hate, relationship with swimming. It is such a challenge to take something that is so foreign to me and to try to improve in it. Toward the end of my swim tonight a guy jumped in the lane next to me and was passing me easily while swimming his warm up.....
2016-02-26 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Am I the only one that likes to hit the pool? I was in early yesterday to get 1500 yards in before the Masters workout started. I always try to get in at least 1000 yards before Masters because that is always limited to just one hour. OK, so I am a fishie!
2016-02-26 8:35 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Stuartap

Am I the only one that likes to hit the pool? I was in early yesterday to get 1500 yards in before the Masters workout started. I always try to get in at least 1000 yards before Masters because that is always limited to just one hour. OK, so I am a fishie!

I go through weird phases with my swimming.  It seems like I'll get into a major funk and everything will feel awkward for a while (length of time varies.....sometimes it's for a couple swim sessions, sometimes it's a couple weeks' worth of sessions).

I just started swimming about four years ago.  Started swimming with a masters group about 3.5 years ago.  In the first year of swimming with the group, I made pretty significant improvements, going from a 2:0X/100m pace to a 1:45/100m pace (scm pool).  Since then, the gains have been slower and more painful.  I can swim a 1:40/100m pace for basically forever, I can swim a 1:35/100m pace for a while, but if you ask me to do a 1:30/100m pace, I can manage for no more than a couple hundred meters.

We have three swim coaches who rotate and this week's sessions all seemed to be about reminding me how bad I am at doing anything faster than a 1:40/100m pace, so I was feeling frustrated.  I finally felt good this morning (still not fast) after two bad sessions earlier in the week.  I consistently swim 10k+ per week, which I know is really just enough to maintain, and not enough to improve.  My low-hanging fruit is on the run, so I'd rather devote more time to making improvements there (where I realistically have 10-15 minutes I could shave off a HIM run split) than putting in a significantly larger amount of time to drop a couple minutes off the swim.  My rationale is to maintain my swim and continue to come out of the water feeling fresh and ready to go, so I won't spend more time on the swim (at least not right now), but I also won't spend less time there. 

2016-02-26 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Nicole I probably have more gains to make on the run as well. Unfortunately I just can't keep on my feet. Whenever I try to ramp up my running I get injured. Although this latest one the Dr thinks was just bad luck and not anything I did wrong.

I am on a pretty strict stretch and weights routine to hopefully keep the body together throughout the balance of the year. I am cautiously optimistic.

2016-02-26 10:59 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket Assumption is an accurate FTP which is a BIG assumption it seems

Ben-I absolutely agree with you.  In part because I despise testing.  I have not tested in over a year. The last time I did I was 302 watts for 20 min @ 161 pounds.  Using the 95% equals FTP would yield 286.9. That's a joke. No way I could do that for an hour.  Now I am using 275 as my FTP for training purposes. I don't really approach races with idea of riding at a specific percentage of FTP.  I have done enough races that I feel like I have a pretty good idea as to what watts I can ride for a sprint, oly and HIM and still have a good run.  I also adjust depending on the course, conditions, temperature and how I feel.  My opinion is that way more people over do it on the bike than under do it.  Power on the bike is great in racing but should be considered in light of other factors.   

I do my run "tests" in early season 5/10k's, after all the best predictor for performance i performance itself.

For cycling, I just use my data points from my rides, I might test once a year formally.

Swimming is all RPE, especially since in races everyone swims blind, i.e can't really look at their watch. And if you do, you put yourself into a terrible position and have to essentially restart.

It's tricky when people test and want their numbers to be a bit higher. That will inflate their numbers and make them go harder in races, then when they go kaboom they wonder why. Remember when you tested and said you could go harder?

2016-02-27 8:59 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My coach pointed out to me last week that I am going too hard during my easy portions. It might be the easy intervals between the hard intervals or it might be the easy recovery workouts; I am not going easy enough. His instructions to me, "if you feel like you can go easier, you should. Don't let your ego get in the way and make you go too hard."

So...... last night I did a 4 x 5 minutes "best effort" on 4 minutes easy recovery. Stupid easy recovery. And had my best bike workout in a long, long time. I haven't gotten off the bike and felt good about myself in awhile. Holy cow! Maybe my coach knows what he is talking about (or maybe I just had a good day).

I will have to remember last night's great feeling when my ego gets in the way of my active recovery.
2016-02-27 9:26 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

My coach pointed out to me last week that I am going too hard during my easy portions. It might be the easy intervals between the hard intervals or it might be the easy recovery workouts; I am not going easy enough. His instructions to me, "if you feel like you can go easier, you should. Don't let your ego get in the way and make you go too hard."

So...... last night I did a 4 x 5 minutes "best effort" on 4 minutes easy recovery. Stupid easy recovery. And had my best bike workout in a long, long time. I haven't gotten off the bike and felt good about myself in awhile. Holy cow! Maybe my coach knows what he is talking about (or maybe I just had a good day).

I will have to remember last night's great feeling when my ego gets in the way of my active recovery.

Awesome

How did they look in terms of % of FTP on the hard work and recovery ? ie 105%, 60%, 104%, 50%.....
2016-02-27 12:11 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster My coach pointed out to me last week that I am going too hard during my easy portions. It might be the easy intervals between the hard intervals or it might be the easy recovery workouts; I am not going easy enough. His instructions to me, "if you feel like you can go easier, you should. Don't let your ego get in the way and make you go too hard." So...... last night I did a 4 x 5 minutes "best effort" on 4 minutes easy recovery. Stupid easy recovery. And had my best bike workout in a long, long time. I haven't gotten off the bike and felt good about myself in awhile. Holy cow! Maybe my coach knows what he is talking about (or maybe I just had a good day). I will have to remember last night's great feeling when my ego gets in the way of my active recovery.
Awesome How did they look in terms of % of FTP on the hard work and recovery ? ie 105%, 60%, 104%, 50%.....

Jason....no, your coach is a moron and you can tell him that from me!  I have done the same thing before making the easy too  hard.

My buddy that left triathlon to focus on cycling was in town for the weekend.  Got in a great ride...mostly on his wheel for 3 hours this morning.  Ended up with 2.5 hours at what I would guess would be my HIM power goal or there abouts.. 220+/-  . So much more fun than swimming.  

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Marc-thanks for the charts that you posted.  Very helpful!

2016-02-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Got to my FTP test today after a rough week
Monday: Up all night with some kind of terrible stomach virus. Called in sick for work, cancelled planned FTP test
Tuesday: Still not holding down much food, exhausted, called in sick again. Felt better by the end of the day, tried a pool session but wasn't up to doing much.
Wednesday: Back to work, no workout though - sickness got worse again.
Thursday: Did an easy 45min spin on the bike around 70% FTP, felt good.
Friday: Decided to do the FTP test on Saturday, so rested (went to bed early).
Today: FTP test. Wasn't sure what to expect but it didn't turn out too bad.
 photo FTPtestFeb27_zpsd8k1f4ty.jpg
Trainerroad says my new FTP should be 227... based on the above, think it's safe to bump it to 230?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57257 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.