BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-15 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4152098

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 5:35 PM

I am alive. :-)

I went to bed last night after reading that a tornado was going through Wichita. Here was the weather announcement. The weather service is trying out a new "Impact warning" system in three states; Kansas is one. What do you think? Sufficiently frightening?

"IMPACT... THIS IS A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. YOU COULD BE KILLED IF NOT UNDERGROUND OR IN A TORNADO SHELTER. COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS IS LIKELY. MANY WELL BUILT HOMES AND BUSINESSES WILL BE COMPLETELY SWEPT FROM THEIR FOUNDATIONS. DEBRIS WILL BLOCK MOST ROADWAYS. MASS DEVASTATION IS HIGHLY LIKELY MAKING THE AREA UNRECOGNIZABLE TO SURVIVORS."

I don't know. A little melodramatic. Anyway . . .

I went to sleep, and then was awoken by my 16 year old yelling, "Tornado Sirens! Tornado Sirens!" Our home city is extremely cautious about sounding our sirens. They don't set them off unless they can see the tornado -- they've actually been criticized for that practice. One day a few years ago, we were under a warning, sirens didn't go off, and in the paper the next week, was a picture of the tornado --- on the ground --- about half a mile from our city. But I digress.

My point is that when we hear a siren, we respond.

So I'm running around the room, trying to wake everyone up, yelling, "Tornado! Tornado! Tornado!" I got everyone up, shoes on (in case of broken glass after), and we're running down the stairs, and I'm yelling, "Don't look at the windows! Don't look at the windows!!" (????)

There was no proper shelter in the hotel, and the windowless bathrooms and hall ways on the first floor were already packed (the hotel was sold out), so the manager offered us the employee break room. The five of us huddled in there with another couple and waited. And waited. And waited. In the meantime, the sirens are still screaming, and finally we hear horrible winds and thunder that shook even the inside room we were in.

My five year old slept through the whole thing. He doesn't remember a thing. My 11 year old was beginning to go into shock, I think. He was pale, shivering, and crying. I sent my 16 year old in search of something to wrap him in, and he came back with a bath towel, which worked.

After about 30 minutes, the sirens stopped, and the manager told us all that we could go back to our rooms. She said to come back again, if we needed to, because there were more storms on the way.

A few storms woke us up (hail, winds, rain, etc), but the sirens didn't go off again. Nevertheless, at one point in the night (maybe at about 3:00?) my 11 year old was standing next to my bed, saying, "I think I hear sirens." But there weren't any.

I don't know where the tornado was, but it didn't come near the hotel where we were staying. We didn't even see much wind damage this morning, not like I was expecting.

So it was all much ado about nothing, so to speak.

And that's the first part of my race report! I'll get the report completed once I get/find my official results. I have ballpark figures for my times, but my family needed/wanted to get going before I could get my official run time.

I wasn't completely disappointed in my performance (you can see approximate times for the bike and run in my training log), but I wanted to be faster. Of course. The wind on the bike course was crazy. I went as fast as I dared on the way out, while I had the tail wind, and then just suffered through with the head wind on the way back.

So, Reece, I don't blame you guys for ditching the scheduled bike ride today. I had a couple moments in the race where I just wanted to stop pedaling.

Thanks for all the well wishes, especially for our safety. When we got home, we could tell that our house had been shaken up a little (plaster came down from one of the ceilings), and our recycling was blown all around our yard, but other than that, everything is just fine.

I posted a picture of one of the tornadoes that went through our county yesterday. The weather guy out of Wichita said there were almost 100 tornadoes yesterday. Wow. Not an everyday event, I assure you.

Wow!

2012-04-15 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4152073

User image

Master
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 3:12 PM

The tornado that went through my county yesterday afternoon, while we were in Emporia. More on my tornado adventures in my race report. :-)

Wow.  Living where I do, only ever seen them in pics or on TV.  Never had to deal with it.  Glad you and your home are ok, and they didn't impact your race too much (other than the wind!)

2012-04-15 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4152150

User image

Elite
amd723 - 2012-04-15 6:14 PM
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 5:35 PM

I went to bed last night after reading that a tornado was going through Wichita. Here was the weather announcement. The weather service is trying out a new "Impact warning" system in three states; Kansas is one. What do you think? Sufficiently frightening?

"IMPACT... THIS IS A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. YOU COULD BE KILLED IF NOT UNDERGROUND OR IN A TORNADO SHELTER. COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS IS LIKELY. MANY WELL BUILT HOMES AND BUSINESSES WILL BE COMPLETELY SWEPT FROM THEIR FOUNDATIONS. DEBRIS WILL BLOCK MOST ROADWAYS. MASS DEVASTATION IS HIGHLY LIKELY MAKING THE AREA UNRECOGNIZABLE TO SURVIVORS."

I went to sleep, and then was awoken by my 16 year old yelling, "Tornado Sirens! Tornado Sirens!" Our home city is extremely cautious about sounding our sirens. They don't set them off unless they can see the tornado -- they've actually been criticized for that practice. One day a few years ago, we were under a warning, sirens didn't go off, and in the paper the next week, was a picture of the tornado --- on the ground --- about half a mile from our city. But I digress.

So I'm running around the room, trying to wake everyone up, yelling, "Tornado! Tornado! Tornado!" I got everyone up, shoes on (in case of broken glass after), and we're running down the stairs, and I'm yelling, "Don't look at the windows! Don't look at the windows!!" (????)

There was no proper shelter in the hotel, and the windowless bathrooms and hall ways on the first floor were already packed (the hotel was sold out), so the manager offered us the employee break room. The five of us huddled in there with another couple and waited. And waited. And waited. In the meantime, the sirens are still screaming, and finally we hear horrible winds and thunder that shook even the inside room we were in.

My five year old slept through the whole thing. He doesn't remember a thing. My 11 year old was beginning to go into shock, I think. He was pale, shivering, and crying. I sent my 16 year old in search of something to wrap him in, and he came back with a bath towel, which worked.

After about 30 minutes, the sirens stopped, and the manager told us all that we could go back to our rooms. She said to come back again, if we needed to, because there were more storms on the way.

A few storms woke us up (hail, winds, rain, etc), but the sirens didn't go off again. Nevertheless, at one point in the night (maybe at about 3:00?) my 11 year old was standing next to my bed, saying, "I think I hear sirens." But there weren't any.

I don't know where the tornado was, but it didn't come near the hotel where we were staying. We didn't even see much wind damage this morning, not like I was expecting.

And that's the first part of my race report! I'll get the report completed once I get/find my official results. I have ballpark figures for my times, but my family needed/wanted to get going before I could get my official run time.

I wasn't completely disappointed in my performance (you can see approximate times for the bike and run in my training log), but I wanted to be faster. Of course. The wind on the bike course was crazy. I went as fast as I dared on the way out, while I had the tail wind, and then just suffered through with the head wind on the way back.

So, Reece, I don't blame you guys for ditching the scheduled bike ride today. I had a couple moments in the race where I just wanted to stop pedaling.

Thanks for all the well wishes, especially for our safety. When we got home, we could tell that our house had been shaken up a little (plaster came down from one of the ceilings), and our recycling was blown all around our yard, but other than that, everything is just fine.

I posted a picture of one of the tornadoes that went through our county yesterday. The weather guy out of Wichita said there were almost 100 tornadoes yesterday. Wow. Not an everyday event, I assure you.

Wow!

WOW - truly crazy stuff! can't believe the race went ahead - well done for even getting out of bed!

2012-04-15 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 3:35 PM

Wow...Tornadoes are one of the few natural "issues" that really scare the crap out of me! Major props for sticking with the race! I am really impressed! I hope your little ones are okay--The 11 year old especially--I would be just as scared, so I can understand how he feels.

2012-04-15 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I would love to say that I did not complete my race today due to some major issue that could not be controlled. The truth is, the only 'issue' was the water temp (I heard it was 53 degrees or 55 degrees---maybe it was actually 54....). Nonetheless, I had to be brought in from my swim...all because I could not catch my breath. Because I didn't finish the swim, I am not going to do a race report. Basically, here is what happened:

I did my whole setup, got everything organized, and then headed to the waterline to get a view. The lake looked beautiful! The water level was so much higher than it has been, and the sun was out, keeping everything nice and toasty. At that point, I hit the bathrooms and headed back to transition to get suited up. I met up with a friend, and we went back to the water to warm up. I was in the water for about 20 minutes and then got the 5 minute warning for our wave. The water, by that point was actually quite comfortable---and my face wasn't even getting the 'exterior ice cream head ache' feeling that I had gotten before! This race had a run into the water start, and I started near the back of the pack (where I usually start)--I felt like I was doing okay, very steady, and then nearly got kicked in the face when I swam up on the person in front of me, so I backed off and swam a bit slower. Then it went downhill....by this point, I was just about at the first buoy (maybe 200 meters), and it was like my lungs just LOCKED up! My body and brain said "keep going, we got this!!", but my lungs said "nope, you ain't going nowhere...". I held on to a kayak or about 2 minutes and got my breath back (I thought), meanwhile, there were only 2 people left in the vicinity, and they were long past that buoy by now. I moved on and swam past the buoy and halfway to the second one when it happened again, this time I changed strokes--first to breast, then to back, and then to doggy paddle! I FINALLY got past that buoy and had to hang on to a kayak again....after another 2 minutes, I let go, and this time I made it about 10 strokes, and then I lost my breath and began to have the deep chest coughs that I have when a full asthma attack hits. Thats when I knew I was done. I got picked up by the boat and taken to shore.

Oddly enough, when I reached the shore, the med guys asked if I had taken in any water---for the first time EVER in an OWS, I had swallowed NO water! Maybe that was the issue--I just need to DRINK the entire lake to be competitive!!! Anyway, I would have been allowed to do the bike/run portions, and I probably could of (though the run might have caused a bit of an issue.), but I was so upset that I gave up, I just said forget it and came home. Needless to say, I am still pretty down; doubly so, because this was the first time in years I was looking forward to my birthday (the actual birthdays for me usually suck pretty bad, so I have grown to not be happy on the actual day and usually try to hibernate in my home for 24 hours...). Thankfully, my husband, given the task to decide what b-day activities we would do in the afternoon, came up with the idea of going to the shooting range and then dinner. I needed that. There is something very cathartic about shooting a 40 cal handgun and a 22 rifle at a hapless paper target---even when done poorly(like I did). Dinner was also decent. 

Even with all of this, my resolve is still there. I have a month and 5 days til my next tri. I KNOW I can do the swim, now I just have to convince my lungs. In the meantime, I will return to my training so I will be prepared.

Okay, I will stop prattling on now.

2012-04-15 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4152539

User image

Elite
kgore - 2012-04-15 9:42 PM

I would love to say that I did not complete my race today due to some major issue that could not be controlled. The truth is, the only 'issue' was the water temp (I heard it was 53 degrees or 55 degrees---maybe it was actually 54....). Nonetheless, I had to be brought in from my swim...all because I could not catch my breath. Because I didn't finish the swim, I am not going to do a race report. Basically, here is what happened:

I did my whole setup, got everything organized, and then headed to the waterline to get a view. The lake looked beautiful! The water level was so much higher than it has been, and the sun was out, keeping everything nice and toasty. At that point, I hit the bathrooms and headed back to transition to get suited up. I met up with a friend, and we went back to the water to warm up. I was in the water for about 20 minutes and then got the 5 minute warning for our wave. The water, by that point was actually quite comfortable---and my face wasn't even getting the 'exterior ice cream head ache' feeling that I had gotten before! This race had a run into the water start, and I started near the back of the pack (where I usually start)--I felt like I was doing okay, very steady, and then nearly got kicked in the face when I swam up on the person in front of me, so I backed off and swam a bit slower. Then it went downhill....by this point, I was just about at the first buoy (maybe 200 meters), and it was like my lungs just LOCKED up! My body and brain said "keep going, we got this!!", but my lungs said "nope, you ain't going nowhere...". I held on to a kayak or about 2 minutes and got my breath back (I thought), meanwhile, there were only 2 people left in the vicinity, and they were long past that buoy by now. I moved on and swam past the buoy and halfway to the second one when it happened again, this time I changed strokes--first to breast, then to back, and then to doggy paddle! I FINALLY got past that buoy and had to hang on to a kayak again....after another 2 minutes, I let go, and this time I made it about 10 strokes, and then I lost my breath and began to have the deep chest coughs that I have when a full asthma attack hits. Thats when I knew I was done. I got picked up by the boat and taken to shore.

Oddly enough, when I reached the shore, the med guys asked if I had taken in any water---for the first time EVER in an OWS, I had swallowed NO water! Maybe that was the issue--I just need to DRINK the entire lake to be competitive!!! Anyway, I would have been allowed to do the bike/run portions, and I probably could of (though the run might have caused a bit of an issue.), but I was so upset that I gave up, I just said forget it and came home. Needless to say, I am still pretty down; doubly so, because this was the first time in years I was looking forward to my birthday (the actual birthdays for me usually suck pretty bad, so I have grown to not be happy on the actual day and usually try to hibernate in my home for 24 hours...). Thankfully, my husband, given the task to decide what b-day activities we would do in the afternoon, came up with the idea of going to the shooting range and then dinner. I needed that. There is something very cathartic about shooting a 40 cal handgun and a 22 rifle at a hapless paper target---even when done poorly(like I did). Dinner was also decent. 

Even with all of this, my resolve is still there. I have a month and 5 days til my next tri. I KNOW I can do the swim, now I just have to convince my lungs. In the meantime, I will return to my training so I will be prepared.

Okay, I will stop prattling on now.

Oh I really feel for you.  I hate that panicky feeling when you really can't catch your breath, and the more you panic the worse it gets.  Do you have an inhaler for asthma, may be worth taking two puffs before you start the swim next race (peace of mind more than anything)

I too wouldn't have done the rest of the race.

What a way to spend your birthday, glad the day turned around for you by firing off some bullets, that's the way!

Look forward to your next race report where you will truly smash it!

2012-04-15 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4152539

User image

Master
Central Kansas
kgore - 2012-04-15 9:42 PM

I'm so sorry, Kate. The water temperature sounds so cold --  I assume you had on a wetsuit? Did that contribute to the constricted feeling in your lungs?

I know I will get a dnf one day. I said something to my son about that as he walked/jogged with me around the track this afternoon. I made some comment about how I was thankful I finished, and he was surprised. "Of course, you would finish." I told him that is not always the case. Everyone, even the pros, don't finish a race now and then, for all kinds of reasons, most of which we can't control. I know my time is coming, too.

I'm glad your hubby was clever enough to plan a fun outing for your birthday.

Felicia

2012-04-15 10:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Aw thanks!Smile

That is the one thing that is different from other times I had asthma issues---no Panic! This time,  I was calm, and I actually knew I was capable. This type of issue happened in several OWS that I did last year, and it mainly was panic then, now I am cool as a cucumberCool. I have an inhaler, which I did use this time (lately I haven't needed it during my workouts.). I kind of think that today's problem was primarily due to the remnants of last week's cold--I woke up this morning still coughing stuff up. I truly don't know for sure what the problem was, but I will continue to hit the water in hopes of it NOT happening again.

I will be calling my doctor---perhaps I will be tested this time (last time they just prescribed the meds without checking anything.) and I can find out for sure if there is something amiss.

2012-04-15 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Thanks also! Yes, I have a full wetsuit, its one I have done all OWS swims in since last May. Its actually quite comfy--not so much constricting as just 'snug'.

I felt a source of pride since I began triathlon last year, that I finished every race I attempted; even when I came in exceedingly close to last. I knew I would probably eventually get a DNF, but I was hoping not. The worst part of it all was just the absolute feeling of failure, because I gave up. I KNOW that I was already going to feel icky just from the swim experience, and I would have been REALLY bad ad I done the bike/run....I just don't like to give up or admit defeat. Its not me. I'm a bit better now, but I am really having to fight the 'dark cloud' feelings from taking over.

2012-04-16 1:03 AM
in reply to: #4152624

User image

Master
kgore - 2012-04-15 8:35 PM

Thanks also! Yes, I have a full wetsuit, its one I have done all OWS swims in since last May. Its actually quite comfy--not so much constricting as just 'snug'.

I felt a source of pride since I began triathlon last year, that I finished every race I attempted; even when I came in exceedingly close to last. I knew I would probably eventually get a DNF, but I was hoping not. The worst part of it all was just the absolute feeling of failure, because I gave up. I KNOW that I was already going to feel icky just from the swim experience, and I would have been REALLY bad ad I done the bike/run....I just don't like to give up or admit defeat. Its not me. I'm a bit better now, but I am really having to fight the 'dark cloud' feelings from taking over.

Sorry you had a crummy swim, Kate.  Just being able to stand at the start line, having done the prep, is success to me.  There are a lot of people who never even do that.  Sometimes our bodies are telling us that they are not ready, especially if you have not been well.  In my opinion, it's only giving up or admitting defeat if you don't get back in the water so to speak.  Hang in there!

2012-04-16 1:23 AM

User image

Master

I had a great race today.  It was sunny with cloudy periods, about 60F.  Little bit of wind, but nothing like last night (nor like the midwest...)  I was very happy with all aspects of my race, but especially my swim.  I did discover that I drift right when swimming in OW, so have to work on that.  But, I was able to do all freestyle, unlike my first race, kept my breathing under control.  Had one part where I was starting to lose my breath, but was able to slow my stroke and regain control.  Improvements on the bike and run as well!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=435371

2012-04-16 5:50 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Busy busy crazy eventful Manatees! Wow! And by the way, I wrote what's in my blog BEFORE I read all of that

I'll try to get back to everyone in more detail soon (or throw it all at Salty and let her deal with it), but for now:

Felicia, glad you are all right and hope your 11-year-old is too, and YEEHAH CONGRATS on a wicked tough race.

Kirsten--well done! Congrats!

Kate--absolutely, Congratulations ... staying in one piece and doing what's best for you short AND long term is absolutely winning. Failure is the kind of stupid crap I do, persevering when it's utterly fruitless and definitely damaging.

Speaking of which ...

I may be lying a little low the next few days or even weeks. I have typhoid fever again. I knew it was a bad deal when I didn't want Pop Tarts and didn't have enough energy to completely freak out about and run from geckos. It's sort of okay I waited so long to go to the doc since the tests won't pick it up until at least day 5 anyway, but in my case since it completely looked and quacked like typhoid, they probably would have started me on antibiotics sooner.

Goin' to sleep for a while, will check back in a little later.

2012-04-16 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Wow, what an awesome, inspiring, and downright scary weekend for the racing Manatees! I just want to say that each of you is awesome in your own right.

Felicia - Just to get out there on the course with the winds and the weather is a huge accomplishment. I'm certain that I would have turned and headed home.

Kate - I think you took a huge step. Asthma and lung restriction in general can be overwhelming. Being out on the cold OWS and having that sort of feeling coming over you can be truly un-nerving. Yet, you held it together and were "cool as a cucumber". Big props. And you then had the opportunity to shoot stuff More coolness.

Kirsten - Nice race. Nice job on working through the pain of the run and getting through the numbness. It looks like you are getting comfortable with where you are and moving in the direction of your HIM. Keep up the great work!

Yanti - If you do not take care of yourself, we may have to do it for you. I'm sure you'd hate to have us gather the entire herd of Manatees, all traipse down there and slap the sick out of you. Please take care, rest, rest more, and when you think you've rested enough, rest some more.

Sam Ewing has said "Hard work spotlights the CHARACTER of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.” This group is obviously willing to show up, roll up their sleeves and do the hard work. And some are certainly characters.

I have nothing on tap today except work and a three hour long appointment this afternoon. I may actually get dropped off on the way home and run. We'll see. Feel better and rest up, everyone!
2012-04-16 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4152774

User image

Master
Orlando

cdban66 - 2012-04-16 6:39 AM Wow, what an awesome, inspiring, and downright scary weekend for the racing Manatees! I just want to say that each of you is awesome in your own right. Felicia - Just to get out there on the course with the winds and the weather is a huge accomplishment. I'm certain that I would have turned and headed home. Kate - I think you took a huge step. Asthma and lung restriction in general can be overwhelming. Being out on the cold OWS and having that sort of feeling coming over you can be truly un-nerving. Yet, you held it together and were "cool as a cucumber". Big props. And you then had the opportunity to shoot stuff More coolness. Kirsten - Nice race. Nice job on working through the pain of the run and getting through the numbness. It looks like you are getting comfortable with where you are and moving in the direction of your HIM. Keep up the great work! Yanti - If you do not take care of yourself, we may have to do it for you. I'm sure you'd hate to have us gather the entire herd of Manatees, all traipse down there and slap the sick out of you. Please take care, rest, rest more, and when you think you've rested enough, rest some more. Sam Ewing has said "Hard work spotlights the CHARACTER of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.” This group is obviously willing to show up, roll up their sleeves and do the hard work. And some are certainly characters. I have nothing on tap today except work and a three hour long appointment this afternoon. I may actually get dropped off on the way home and run. We'll see. Feel better and rest up, everyone!

Well said!

2012-04-16 7:07 AM

User image

Elite

Oh dear typhoid fever does not sound like anything good at all.  Please rest and recover, don't get back to it too quickly.

Myotherapy today - killed me for an hour!   I have a bruised butt cheek - he has strong hard elbows (he is a cute little piglet though!)

Swim squad tonight, skipped out early but managed 1km warm up, then 1.6km pull buoy.  Woohoo!

2012-04-16 7:24 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 6:35 PM

WOW glad y'all are ok, that sounds like an interesting night.

As for the warning, it's amazing what people will ignore if you don't put it in as stark of terms as possible.  Probably not needed for most but you get the one person who says "well the warning didn't make it sound that bad...

Good job on the race!

2012-04-16 7:41 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Kate- Great attitude, and I know you will do great on your next race!

Well as for me I fell off the BT world this weekend but I'm back!  6 days to the HIM, I'm excited as ever just need to get that OWS in, Thursday after training at this point.  The fundraiser went really well, we raised more money than we had expected which was awesome and very humbling for me and my wife.  The food was amazing, the chef actually infused the beer that was paired with the dish into each dish which was fantastic.  The feedback we got from everyone involved was awesome as well and talking with the guys that helped us put it on we think we can make this an annual event!  I got home late from that and had to work the weekend, and it was a crazy weekend, apparently friday the 13 waited until saturday the 14 to hit.  In a training class most of this week but will plan to get a few taper sized workouts in but I'm of the opinnion that I'm not going to get much better at this point so wont overdue it too much.

The triathlon that I did as my first ever race was cancelled for this year and I had been toying with the idea of doing it again, more as for fun than anything else as it is a week after the Police Unity Tour and I'm sure my legs will still be a mess, so that was a little disapointing to hear as it was a fun race.

I saw the gatorskins thread in tri talk, I actually put a pair on for the Tour since speed is less an issue than keeping the bike rolling, and had a question.  My friend who works at the lbs, and a fellow bike patrol member, got all the gear to tune up and outfit the bike and went with 25 cc tires instead of the 23 saying it will be more stable but doesn't add much more resisitence through recent tests.  Does anyone know the truth of this?  I still have my 23's for the race saturday but was just wondering.

Yanti feel better-  no poptarts=no training Laughing

Hope everyone has a good week!

2012-04-16 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 6:12 PM

The tornado that went through my county yesterday afternoon, while we were in Emporia. More on my tornado adventures in my race report. :-)

I was definitely thinking of you (and Lisa aka lisac957 who lives in Wichita) this weekend.  I didn't know where in Kansas you were and I was hoping Not Wichita.  I'm glad to hear from you.

2012-04-16 8:00 AM

User image

Melon Presser
KansasMom - 2012-04-16 6:12 AM

Do a tri in extremely hardcore conditions, hang out with the fam while escaping tornadoes within tornadoes (I noticed the offshoot right away!) ... all in a day in Kansas-land ... KA-RAZY! I am just really glad you and your family are all right. How scary it must have been in the hotel. And in great admiration of you, and tri-organizers there ... DANG what a race!
2012-04-16 11:26 AM

User image

Seattle

MAN-A-TEES! Looks like you guys had a wild weekend!!! I'm going to do my best to catch up here but if anyone needs anything specific answered please feel free to PM me! 

Anyone watching/watched the Boston Marathon!?!?!?!?!? 

2012-04-16 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4152848

User image

Seattle
Tripopo - 2012-04-16 7:41 AM

Kate- Great attitude, and I know you will do great on your next race!

Well as for me I fell off the BT world this weekend but I'm back!  6 days to the HIM, I'm excited as ever just need to get that OWS in, Thursday after training at this point.  The fundraiser went really well, we raised more money than we had expected which was awesome and very humbling for me and my wife.  The food was amazing, the chef actually infused the beer that was paired with the dish into each dish which was fantastic.  The feedback we got from everyone involved was awesome as well and talking with the guys that helped us put it on we think we can make this an annual event!  I got home late from that and had to work the weekend, and it was a crazy weekend, apparently friday the 13 waited until saturday the 14 to hit.  In a training class most of this week but will plan to get a few taper sized workouts in but I'm of the opinnion that I'm not going to get much better at this point so wont overdue it too much.

The triathlon that I did as my first ever race was cancelled for this year and I had been toying with the idea of doing it again, more as for fun than anything else as it is a week after the Police Unity Tour and I'm sure my legs will still be a mess, so that was a little disapointing to hear as it was a fun race.

I saw the gatorskins thread in tri talk, I actually put a pair on for the Tour since speed is less an issue than keeping the bike rolling, and had a question.  My friend who works at the lbs, and a fellow bike patrol member, got all the gear to tune up and outfit the bike and went with 25 cc tires instead of the 23 saying it will be more stable but doesn't add much more resisitence through recent tests.  Does anyone know the truth of this?  I still have my 23's for the race saturday but was just wondering.

Yanti feel better-  no poptarts=no training Laughing

Hope everyone has a good week!

The fundraiser sounds fantastic! I am so glad it went well.

YAY for a taper week. I am looking forward to hearing about your HIM after you rock it!

I am not sure what the answer is about the tires. Certainly resist the temptation to change anything for your race, though. 

2012-04-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4152689

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2012-04-16 1:23 AM

I had a great race today.  It was sunny with cloudy periods, about 60F.  Little bit of wind, but nothing like last night (nor like the midwest...)  I was very happy with all aspects of my race, but especially my swim.  I did discover that I drift right when swimming in OW, so have to work on that.  But, I was able to do all freestyle, unlike my first race, kept my breathing under control.  Had one part where I was starting to lose my breath, but was able to slow my stroke and regain control.  Improvements on the bike and run as well!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=435371

Wow! That WAS a great race!!! 11 minutes off your bike time? Woohoo!! Sounds like you will have no trouble at all making that bike cutoff for the HIM Smile

2012-04-16 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4152600

User image

Seattle
kgore - 2012-04-15 10:26 PM

Aw thanks!Smile

That is the one thing that is different from other times I had asthma issues---no Panic! This time,  I was calm, and I actually knew I was capable. This type of issue happened in several OWS that I did last year, and it mainly was panic then, now I am cool as a cucumberCool. I have an inhaler, which I did use this time (lately I haven't needed it during my workouts.). I kind of think that today's problem was primarily due to the remnants of last week's cold--I woke up this morning still coughing stuff up. I truly don't know for sure what the problem was, but I will continue to hit the water in hopes of it NOT happening again.

I will be calling my doctor---perhaps I will be tested this time (last time they just prescribed the meds without checking anything.) and I can find out for sure if there is something amiss.

Kate, I think in racing and training it is all about what you can take away from the experiences. Not how your place or what times you got. Those things are all very arbitrary. 

You found your "calm" place and I think that is extremely important. I think you need to go race again, so as to not let this defeat you but focus on the things that went right. That is some extremely cold water and really, something that you have no way of controlling. 

2012-04-16 11:49 AM

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2012-04-15 5:12 PM

Craziness!!! Lots of battles against the conditions for everyone. 

You did a fantastic job! As I have said, conditions are one of those uncontrollables. Hell, ELITES are walking in parts of the Boston Marathon today because of the conditions! All you can do is go out and give it your all and that is exactly what you did. 

Fantastic race and extra fantastic way to start out your season! 

2012-04-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4151686

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-04-15 11:53 AM
jogo - 2012-04-15 8:23 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-15 12:33 AM
jogo - 2012-04-15 12:29 PM

Congrats on the great training run - it should make you feel really confident for Big Sur.  Well done.

I went out for my 2 hour bike ride today and once again found myself in the middle of a triathlon!  Shortly after I started my ride I ended up on the course with the athletes doing a half iron (there was also an oly going on).  Rode with them for a while before making the turn back to the car.  These races are small races with such great volunteers.  People kept telling me I was doing "great" and "way to go".  I just kept saying "thanks".  My picture also got taken a lot and I imagine that after the race 3 weeks ago that I also ended up in and this one, the photographer is probably cursing me   I did not take any of the water or gatorade they offered, but I did take advantage of the cops manning the intersections.  It was really nice not to have to wait my turn at stop signs   This is a very hilly course (yes, parts of Florida do have hills) and it was so windy that I was blown all over the road in some areas, so I was very happy that i was not actually part of the race.  I also kept thinking about the miserable conditions that Kansasmom probably faced in her race today and while I wished her luck, I selfishly thought "thank god I have blue skies and otherwise beautiful weather for my little ride".

Can't wait to hear about everyone's races!

Ahhh hahahahaha! That is amazing! I love it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81