BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-05-30 11:39 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
Your rides seem to involve breweries and lime-a-ritas.  I'm gonna have to tag along sometime Wink

2012-05-30 11:47 PM

User image

Seattle
Oh yeah! Come down any time and join us! Seriously, any time!
2012-05-30 11:50 PM
in reply to: #4236470

User image

Elite
bcraht - 2012-05-30 10:37 PM
jobaxas - 2012-05-30 6:46 PM

Just using the forum as a sounding board...beginning to freak out about HIM on Sunday....

so swim cutoff is 1 hour 10mins for 1.9km - I've done a race in very windy conditions 1.5km in 38mins, and a 1.3km in 33mins and I believe i've improved a lot since that.  I figure a conservative but realistic estimate will be 45mins plus 8mins transition (made that up)

bike cut off is 5.30 from the start time.  so if i've done 53mins incl T1 I've got well over four hours to bike the 90km with an average speed of 22.5kph.  Last big ride I did was on undulating hills and for 75km and I did an average speed of 27kph.  Would love to achieve that but am being conservative and saying let's do 24kph.  That's 3hours 45mins.

Another 8mins in T2.

so that would leave me....

2 hours and 44mins to do the 21km run.  All estimates above are erring on the side of caution and I hope to smash those times!  I would like to leave 3 hours in the bank for the run because it's going to be hot and humid by the time we start running.

Phew - just praying for no issues on the swim, no mechanical breakdowns on the ride (one flat tire is my allowance and i hope not to do even that)

I don't want to let everyone down with a DNF but if it happens due to an uncontrollable such as mechanical failure - I would be upset but not devastated.

So my strategy is thus:  for the first time ever I'm going hard on the swim.  for the first time ever I'm going to run into transition 1.  For the first time ever I'm going to go hard on the first half of the ride.  If I can get time in the bank doing those things I'll be a happy manatee!

just putting it all out there - a problem shared is a problem halved.

Jo, the only person you are doing this race for is you.  We are behind you all the way, but a DNF for any reason would not "let everyone down".  I love that you are breaking it all down in your head--visualization is an incredible tool.  The only thing I would worry about is you going hard on the first half of the ride.  You don't want to gas yourself for the rest of the ride.  I would suggest that you negative split your ride--save some in the tank to crank it up a bit for the second half of the ride.  That way you can be sure to get some nutrition in on the first half of the ride as well.  (Please note these comments are not from experience in any way, just what I know I will have to do for my HIM!)

I am so looking forward to tracking you during your race Laughing

Thanks for that - I do usually negative split on the run so should try it on the bike too.  Maybe I'll take my friend's advice she said, swim bike and run and enjoy the sights.  Sounds like a great plan!

Thanks for the support too - it means a lot.  Self doubt is part of the process I believe!

2012-05-30 11:51 PM
in reply to: #4236506

User image

Elite
Asalzwed - 2012-05-30 11:26 PM
jobaxas - 2012-05-30 8:46 PM

Just using the forum as a sounding board...beginning to freak out about HIM on Sunday....

so swim cutoff is 1 hour 10mins for 1.9km - I've done a race in very windy conditions 1.5km in 38mins, and a 1.3km in 33mins and I believe i've improved a lot since that.  I figure a conservative but realistic estimate will be 45mins plus 8mins transition (made that up)

bike cut off is 5.30 from the start time.  so if i've done 53mins incl T1 I've got well over four hours to bike the 90km with an average speed of 22.5kph.  Last big ride I did was on undulating hills and for 75km and I did an average speed of 27kph.  Would love to achieve that but am being conservative and saying let's do 24kph.  That's 3hours 45mins.

Another 8mins in T2.

2 hours and 44mins to do the 21km run.  All estimates above are erring on the side of caution and I hope to smash those times!  I would like to leave 3 hours in the bank for the run because it's going to be hot and humid by the time we start running.

Phew - just praying for no issues on the swim, no mechanical breakdowns on the ride (one flat tire is my allowance and i hope not to do even that)

I don't want to let everyone down with a DNF but if it happens due to an uncontrollable such as mechanical failure - I would be upset but not devastated.

So my strategy is thus:  for the first time ever I'm going hard on the swim.  for the first time ever I'm going to run into transition 1.  For the first time ever I'm going to go hard on the first half of the ride.  If I can get time in the bank doing those things I'll be a happy manatee!

Girl, you got this! From all your training down to you mental breakdown. Don't let those negative thoughts get the best of you. Get to that start line with a calm clear mind and lay it all out there. Your best is all you can ever do and you can rest assured that is what you are going to do.

Thanks - yep my best is what I'm gonna give!  This is my A race and I wanna love it!

2012-05-31 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4235911

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jobaxas - 2012-05-30 4:07 PM

TriAya - 2012-05-30 11:44 AM Hi lovely Manatees--really need some time to myself right now so won't be around as much for the next few days, but will be checking my blog and this thread and the couple of forums/challenge I'm responsible for. If I see urgent posts/questions I'll definitely reply. Thank you so so so kindly to all of you, especially Salty, who always check in on me, and she sure holds up more than her fair share of Manatee duty, especially when it comes to inspires.

Take as much time as you need but remember we are here for you as much as you are for us.  Thinking of you always.

Yes Yanti, relax, recover, and rejuvenate. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
2012-05-31 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4236506

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2012-05-31 12:26 AM

jobaxas - 2012-05-30 8:46 PM

Another 8mins in T2.

Girl, you got this! From all your training down to you mental breakdown. Don't let those negative thoughts get the best of you. Get to that start line with a calm clear mind and lay it all out there. Your best is all you can ever do and you can rest assured that is what you are going to do.

Exactly this! You have put in the time and the work. Now it is time to relax and enjoy. Clear your mind and remember that the best we have is all we have. You've got this!

2012-05-31 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4236330

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
melbo55 - 2012-05-30 9:26 PM

Here is a quick pic of my biking destination (one of my favorites) tonight.  It is a special place to me for many reasons.  It is a local winery/vineyard that is close to where my grandparents used to live and we would walk there often as kids to play in the creek and checkout the surrounding areas.  As a young adult/adult, I went/go there for picnics, tastings, open air concerts under the stars with good friends, and went there with my Mom with her high school classmates for their reunion.  Lots and lots of good memories.  Not to mention a very scenic area.  I should have taken a few more pics of the lovely lane going to and from.  I saw a turkey tonight, too!

Melanie, that is beautiful. What a nice area, and filled with nice memories too. Lucky indeed.
2012-05-31 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4236355

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
KansasMom - 2012-05-30 9:47 PM

Good evening! I missed my swim at noon today. One of my colleagues asked me to go to lunch with him (Subway), and I hesitated, but I decided I should go. We had fun.

So I left work at about 3:00, and went for a 20+ mile bike ride. We are having storms right now, and I guess while I was out on my ride, we had hail at home. As I turned at about the 14 mile point, the wind died down a little, and the clouds were black, and I could smell the rain. The farmers were out harvesting the wheat, and everything looked so peaceful and lovely.

Fifteen minutes after I got home, the clouds opened up and it rained. Hard. Thunder and lightning -- the kind that shakes every part of the house. It was so beautiful.

Things have slowed down now, so I'm thinking of going out for a short run after I get the little guy to bed. It should be enchanting.

Felicia, I had a wind facing ride home yesterday and you kept popping into my head. Some of your recent rides, whew! Then I was watching the Weather Channel that evening and there were storms in Texas, OK, and Kansas. Youch, they looked like some serious stuff! I'm glad you beat the bad stuff home.
2012-05-31 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4236330

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

melbo55 - 2012-05-30 9:26 PM Here is a quick pic of my biking destination (one of my favorites) tonight.  It is a special place to me for many reasons.  It is a local winery/vineyard that is close to where my grandparents used to live and we would walk there often as kids to play in the creek and checkout the surrounding areas.  As a young adult/adult, I went/go there for picnics, tastings, open air concerts under the stars with good friends, and went there with my Mom with her high school classmates for their reunion.  Lots and lots of good memories.  Not to mention a very scenic area.  I should have taken a few more pics of the lovely lane going to and from.  I saw a turkey tonight, too!

You had me at winery! I would take up biking if I had a destination like that on a route.  Enjoy!!

2012-05-31 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Just wanted to say that I completed the May challenge, 2 goals met. I may never get on a bike again, but I did get the mileage in JK, I was so happy to get over 250 miles. That is the first time in a while for that. And I finished the book as well. So it was a great May, and I thank you for putting the challenge out there.

Now, next challenge for me is weight loss. 5 pounds this month. Please, I'm begging everyone, keep me accountable. No candy, no snacks and I SHOULD be fine.
2012-05-31 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4236352

User image

Pennsylvania
jobaxas - 2012-05-30 9:46 PM

Another 8mins in T2.

Jo - you have worked hard and have spent many months preparing your body and mind for this race.  You are strong, you are ready, you will do great.  You have a good plan in place, and I doubt you need to worry about the time cut-offs.  Confidence!  You've got this!

Edited by melbo55 2012-05-31 8:37 AM

2012-05-31 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4236624

User image

Pennsylvania

cdban66 - 2012-05-31 7:28 AM Just wanted to say that I completed the May challenge, 2 goals met. I may never get on a bike again, but I did get the mileage in JK, I was so happy to get over 250 miles. That is the first time in a while for that. And I finished the book as well. So it was a great May, and I thank you for putting the challenge out there. Now, next challenge for me is weight loss. 5 pounds this month. Please, I'm begging everyone, keep me accountable. No candy, no snacks and I SHOULD be fine.

Congrats on making your biking goal, Chris! 250 miles, that is super!!  And congrats on finishing the book.

I would love to join you in your weight loss challenge.  I would like to drop 6 lbs. this month.  And yes, I echo your plea for everyone to help keep me accountable.  I think we should get our froggy friend Allen in on this challenge...Allen, oh Allen...would you like to join us?  Any other manatees wanting to become slightly less of the person they are today, LOL?

2012-05-31 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4236355

User image

Pennsylvania
KansasMom - 2012-05-30 9:47 PM

So I left work at about 3:00, and went for a 20+ mile bike ride. We are having storms right now, and I guess while I was out on my ride, we had hail at home. As I turned at about the 14 mile point, the wind died down a little, and the clouds were black, and I could smell the rain. The farmers were out harvesting the wheat, and everything looked so peaceful and lovely.

Fifteen minutes after I got home, the clouds opened up and it rained. Hard. Thunder and lightning -- the kind that shakes every part of the house. It was so beautiful.

LOVE this!!!  Glad you made it home in time to be safe and also to enjoy nature's fine, powerful, wonderful display of power and beauty.

2012-05-31 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4236470

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
bcraht - 2012-05-30 9:37 PM
jobaxas - 2012-05-30 6:46 PM

Another 8mins in T2.

Jo, the only person you are doing this race for is you.  We are behind you all the way, but a DNF for any reason would not "let everyone down".  I love that you are breaking it all down in your head--visualization is an incredible tool.  The only thing I would worry about is you going hard on the first half of the ride.  You don't want to gas yourself for the rest of the ride.  I would suggest that you negative split your ride--save some in the tank to crank it up a bit for the second half of the ride.  That way you can be sure to get some nutrition in on the first half of the ride as well.  (Please note these comments are not from experience in any way, just what I know I will have to do for my HIM!)

I am so looking forward to tracking you during your race Laughing

Me Too!

2012-05-31 10:10 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GOOOO JO

Big thanks to the Manatees who have been holding the Introduce Yourself forum up.

If you guys want a challenge, go ahead and decide on a format, and start a thread in the Challenge forum (read the FAQ first and if you have any questions PM one of the mods there). Word to the wise: put JUNE in the heading, be inviting, and unless you want to spend most of the month squinting at a spreadsheet and chasing people down don't allow more than three goals. You can focus them (S/B/R/fitness/weight/inches/etc. only) or not, up to you, I don't care.

Once I'm back on track I can help you set up a spreadsheet, decide if there will be teams, etc.

2012-05-31 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4236352

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Another 8mins in T2.

First of all, you will do great! 

Secondly, the times you posted are very conservative.  You will do great!

Thirdly, you put the training in.  The race is the celebration.  You will do great!

This calculator came in handy with planning for Beach2Battleship -- http://www.chicagotriclub.com/pacecalc.aspx

2012-05-31 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4237085

User image

Master
Orlando
jmkizer - 2012-05-31 10:14 AM

Another 8mins in T2.

First of all, you will do great! 

Secondly, the times you posted are very conservative.  You will do great!

Thirdly, you put the training in.  The race is the celebration.  You will do great!

This calculator came in handy with planning for Beach2Battleship -- http://www.chicagotriclub.com/pacecalc.aspx

&n... agree, you've done the hard part, now it's time to have some fun!

ETA:  don't know why the formatting is off this, but it should say that I totally agree...

Edited by amd723 2012-05-31 11:11 AM
2012-05-31 11:52 AM

User image

Seattle

We've been having a rough go here in SEA-town. We had an incident where I was followed home by what turned out to be a suspect in a rape (this is a long story condensed), had our tires slashed last week and then a gun-shot riddled weekend in the city followed by a hurricane of violence yesterday that ended in my neighborhood and 5 people dead. 

Anyway, I am trying to do my best to keep positive. Tonight is our anniversary and we are going to SIFF (Seattle international film festival) and to dinner at this amazing little Hawaiian/Asian fusion restaurant.  It's a swanky place known for it's fried chicken (I know, weird...) and you have to reserve the chicken like, a month in advance...Anyway, it should be an experience to say the least!  

2012-05-31 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4237315

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2012-05-31 9:52 AM

We've been having a rough go here in SEA-town. We had an incident where I was followed home by what turned out to be a suspect in a rape (this is a long story condensed), had our tires slashed last week and then a gun-shot riddled weekend in the city followed by a hurricane of violence yesterday that ended in my neighborhood and 5 people dead. 

Anyway, I am trying to do my best to keep positive. Tonight is our anniversary and we are going to SIFF (Seattle international film festival) and to dinner at this amazing little Hawaiian/Asian fusion restaurant.  It's a swanky place known for it's fried chicken (I know, weird...) and you have to reserve the chicken like, a month in advance...Anyway, it should be an experience to say the least!  

OMG.  Scary stuff.  I was thinking of you when I heard of the shootings yesterday, wondered if it was in your neighborhood.  We had a crazy running around shooting people (2 dead, one wounded) he didn't like not too far from my work yesterday too--cops and he had a shootout, he lost.  It's scary when it's that close to home, even scarier when it is personal like being followed and tires slashed...  Hang in there, have a great time at the FF and dinner, sounds like a great night!

2012-05-31 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-31 10:52 AM

Wow, that's scary stuff!  Keep your head down and try to have fun tonight! Stay safe!

2012-05-31 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2012-05-31 12:52 PM

OMG!  That was your neighborhood!  Of course I heard about it and when I did, I thought of you but I never thought that it was that close to you.   {{hugs}}  What a week -- stalker + tires + neighborhood shooting spree = Salty needs a break!

And yes, we will want a full report on the fried chicken.

2012-05-31 1:15 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Wow, just wow.  Scary, crazy stuff.  So glad you are OK.  I'm guessing/hoping your follower was apprehended and jailed?  Hopefully you and your SO have an absolutely wonderful, peaceful, enjoyable night out.  The dinner plans especially sound fantastic!

2012-05-31 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4237364

User image

Coastal Carolina
jmkizer - 2012-05-31 1:16 PM

OMG!  That was your neighborhood!  Of course I heard about it and when I did, I thought of you but I never thought that it was that close to you.   {{hugs}}  What a week -- stalker + tires + neighborhood shooting spree = Salty needs a break!

And yes, we will want a full report on the fried chicken.

X2 Glad you are ok Salty!  Happy Anniversary and enjoy the month old fried chicken Wink but what no breweries?

Stay Safe.

2012-05-31 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Yeow! Try to stay safe and have fun this evening. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Oh yeah, YUM, fried chicken! I'm betting that the one you are having and the one I am familiar with are a bit different
2012-05-31 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2012-05-31 11:52 AM

I'm sorry about the violence in your area. That is very, very scary.

On a lighter note, your chicken comment reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LBICPEK6wI know it's Portland, and not Seattle . . .

Enjoy your anniversary celebration. It sounds like you have a great evening planned. Congrats!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80