BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-13 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by laffinrock

Is it a matter of the planned workouts not fitting your schedule, or you not trusting him?  If it's a scheduling thing, it might be worth a conversation to figure out what would work better for you.  If you don't trust him, why not?  I think I'd answer those questions before making a decision about whether or not to stick with him. 

Yup.  It's not a schedule thing. He tells me to re-arrange the sessions as needed to fit. I've been self coached for so long. And I have all the things I've read/heard rattling around in my head i.e. no need to recover from a sprint, train through it if it's not an "A" race...

If Luke had listened to Yoda earlier, the galaxy would have been better off.

Edited by cdban66 2014-08-13 12:47 PM

2014-08-13 12:48 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Add me to the group that totally wants to smoosh that sweet face!  (and maybe sneak in a few cuddles too - what a CUTIE!)

Randee - I love that out of everything you're most concerned about the Garmin data sync!   I still only use my trusty Timex Ironman watch that really doesn't do anything other than tell time and can be used as a stopwatch.  Maybe I should think about an upgrade??  

I might be on the Garmin bandwagon, but I have one of these watches (in blue), and it's awesome.

2014-08-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by cdban66

Is it a matter of the planned workouts not fitting your schedule, or you not trusting him?  If it's a scheduling thing, it might be worth a conversation to figure out what would work better for you.  If you don't trust him, why not?  I think I'd answer those questions before making a decision about whether or not to stick with him. 

Yup.  It's not a schedule thing. He tells me to re-arrange the sessions as needed to fit. I've been self coached for so long. And I have all the things I've read/heard rattling around in my head i.e. no need to recover from a sprint, train through it if it's not an "A" race...

But if he had listened to Yoda, there would be no triathlons, right? "Do or do not. There is no tri."

2014-08-13 12:53 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by jmkizer

News for TrainerRoad Junkies

http://blog.trainerroad.com/trainerroad-ios-beta-program/
(requires advanced subscription, Android also in the works)

Signed up for this also.

Awesome! So... once it's on iOS what would I need to get going (besides the subscription)?

2014-08-13 12:54 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

You totally made me laugh and now my partner is wondering why I'm laughing at the spreadsheet I'm working on?!

2014-08-13 12:58 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Add me to the group that totally wants to smoosh that sweet face!  (and maybe sneak in a few cuddles too - what a CUTIE!)

Randee - I love that out of everything you're most concerned about the Garmin data sync!   I still only use my trusty Timex Ironman watch that really doesn't do anything other than tell time and can be used as a stopwatch.  Maybe I should think about an upgrade??  

I might be on the Garmin bandwagon, but I have one of these watches (in blue), and it's awesome.

I'm pretty sure mine used to be white... it's now some colour that I don't even think has a name.  I probably should have gotten blue to avoid this issue!

I had a Garmin for a few years, and the darned thing couldn't find a satellite if it was right next to one.  It didn't work in Vancouver, London or Chicago - so I ditched it last year after only wearing it a couple of times in each city.     

Maybe a jaunt over to DC Rainmaker's webpage to see what's new and shiny is in order!   

2014-08-13 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

But if he had listened to Yoda, there would be no triathlons, right? "Do or do not. There is no tri."

HA!  

2014-08-13 1:01 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Signed up for this also.

Is it helpful to track your workouts in so many places?  Maybe you should change your screen name to "Data"! 

2014-08-13 1:02 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Signed up for this also.

Is it helpful to track your workouts in so many places?  Maybe you should change your screen name to "Data"! 

Haha! No kidding. I can't even imagine. It would take me as long to track in all those places as it would to complete the workout

2014-08-13 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Signed up for this also.

My Garmin goes to Strava and Training Peaks. Then from TP I upload it to BT.

2014-08-13 1:20 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jbwills

Hello all! I am stalking the group but not responding much. I am getting back into the swing of full training and counting down weeks until I head home. Did 1.5 hrs on the bike today, felt good.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Must feel good to be counting weeks and not months.  Stay safe and cool in the meantime.

2014-08-13 1:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

That depends on a lot of things and recovery is not yes/no. Yes, you will need some amount of recovery, but it could be a day to much of a week depending on the athlete, how things went and what all is going on with the schedule.

2014-08-13 1:22 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by brigby1

My journey has taken a little detour with surgery and everything. Then, I got bit by a bug or something and have had serious wanderlust. I'm not joking. I have this desire to be out in nature that I just cannot ignore. So, I've been doing a lot of hiking and exploring. I still have run every day and my running fitness makes me able to cover a lot of ground but it hasn't been the kind of running (in combination with the surgery) that will product a HM I would love.

So, that being said, I decided to drop the summer HM and just launch right into marathon training then maybe do a HM about 6-8 weeks out from the actual marathon. I think that will be more helpful in terms of giving me feedback on my marathon training. 

I am racing in the regional 10K road championship this weekend, which will more or less kick off my marathon training. I'm still not totally where I want to be running fitness-wise, but it will be a good check in.

I'm going to multi-task marathon training and cross country racing. Cross country did some things for my running strength (mental and physical) that nothing else has replicated. So, hopefully I can harness that (and not burn out!) This is partially why I am giving myself a summer pass on my running and caving to my wanderlust. What I see happening is a hard cross country race (or practice) on Saturdays followed by long, marathon specific runs on Sundays.

I'm open to hear any feedback on this, too. But that's kind of where I am at right now. 

Excellent plan!  You really seemed to enjoy XC last year and I'm happy to see that you are planning to do it again this year. 

This is supposed to be fun, after all :-)

I like the idea too. There needs to be some room in the training schemes. I get that wanderlust too. That's exactly why I made the 8 hr trip last weekend to do some dinky non-standard race that no-one has really heard of before. It was out in the woods and along the shoreline of one of the great lakes I hadn't been to in like forever. Lots of opportunities to see waterfalls up there as well. Shorter midwest ones, but I'll take what I could get. Some of this off the path running may not seem to be *perfect* for building up to a marathon, but I think it still is helpful. It's still running and even more so it's taking care of you mentally. I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to continually just go from one marathon build to the next even if you took an appropriate amount of time to recover. The mental aspect is tremendous. You have to keep things fresh at times and you  have to do some things to make that so. The cross country season should help with that. It may not be quite *perfect*, but I think it brings a lot for you. Having a singular focus can be good for a time, but over a longer haul it can really burn you out.

I appreciate your feedback, Ben. There are so many helpful tidbits in what you said. 

I feel comforted in the fact that even YOU get a little wanderlust You should come over to the PNW and I will show you some amazing stuff.

I have been working on figuring out such a trip!

2014-08-13 1:25 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Until recently, I had no idea this was a "thing".

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/btblogger/

Huh, I didn't know that was there either. Cool!

That IS cool.  How do you name your blog and get it posted there?  I blog pretty much every day I do training, but I don't see mine there.

It got used a lot more before the update.  You name your blog in your settings.  If you update, it shows there (but your blog has to be named).  The ones that display are the most recently updated ones.

2014-08-13 1:28 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm on a minor cooking tear - minor, because I haven't been home enough to make it a major tear - I've been fitting in what I can when I can.  2 batches of zuchinni soup (mostly got frozen, some got eaten fresh) last week, and I'm hoping to make more tonight.  1 small batch of fresh tomato/spaghetti sauce with tomatoes from garden last week before I went away (I froze that, too).  I'm already gearing up for a bigger, better batch over the weekend, or maybe a weeknight if I have time.  I'm a little disappointed with how the first batch turned out, but considering I'd never done it before and was in a bit of a hurry, it turned out OK.  I'm really looking forward to taking the time to get the next batch perfected.  Gonna make it like I typically dress up store-bought sauce: nice big chunks of veggies and spicy, too.

I also found this awesome recipe for balsamic dressing from scratch and I have some tomatoes, basil and mozzarella that are calling my name, begging me to make the dressing.  *droooool*

2014-08-13 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

I'm on a minor cooking tear - minor, because I haven't been home enough to make it a major tear - I've been fitting in what I can when I can.  2 batches of zuchinni soup (mostly got frozen, some got eaten fresh) last week, and I'm hoping to make more tonight.  1 small batch of fresh tomato/spaghetti sauce with tomatoes from garden last week before I went away (I froze that, too).  I'm already gearing up for a bigger, better batch over the weekend, or maybe a weeknight if I have time.  I'm a little disappointed with how the first batch turned out, but considering I'd never done it before and was in a bit of a hurry, it turned out OK.  I'm really looking forward to taking the time to get the next batch perfected.  Gonna make it like I typically dress up store-bought sauce: nice big chunks of veggies and spicy, too.

I also found this awesome recipe for balsamic dressing from scratch and I have some tomatoes, basil and mozzarella that are calling my name, begging me to make the dressing.  *droooool*

Mmmmmm! Love harvest time. My always starts canning this time of year. Her zuchinni relish is YUMMO!!!!!!!! And her jellies?! Oh yeah!!!!!!!!

2014-08-13 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hello all! I am stalking the group but not responding much. I am getting back into the swing of full training and counting down weeks until I head home. Did 1.5 hrs on the bike today, felt good.

Must feel good to be counting weeks and not months.  Stay safe and cool in the meantime.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!

2014-08-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

My journey has taken a little detour with surgery and everything. Then, I got bit by a bug or something and have had serious wanderlust. I'm not joking. I have this desire to be out in nature that I just cannot ignore. So, I've been doing a lot of hiking and exploring. I still have run every day and my running fitness makes me able to cover a lot of ground but it hasn't been the kind of running (in combination with the surgery) that will product a HM I would love.

So, that being said, I decided to drop the summer HM and just launch right into marathon training then maybe do a HM about 6-8 weeks out from the actual marathon. I think that will be more helpful in terms of giving me feedback on my marathon training. 

I am racing in the regional 10K road championship this weekend, which will more or less kick off my marathon training. I'm still not totally where I want to be running fitness-wise, but it will be a good check in.

I'm going to multi-task marathon training and cross country racing. Cross country did some things for my running strength (mental and physical) that nothing else has replicated. So, hopefully I can harness that (and not burn out!) This is partially why I am giving myself a summer pass on my running and caving to my wanderlust. What I see happening is a hard cross country race (or practice) on Saturdays followed by long, marathon specific runs on Sundays.

I'm open to hear any feedback on this, too. But that's kind of where I am at right now. 

Excellent plan!  You really seemed to enjoy XC last year and I'm happy to see that you are planning to do it again this year. 

This is supposed to be fun, after all :-)

I like the idea too. There needs to be some room in the training schemes. I get that wanderlust too. That's exactly why I made the 8 hr trip last weekend to do some dinky non-standard race that no-one has really heard of before. It was out in the woods and along the shoreline of one of the great lakes I hadn't been to in like forever. Lots of opportunities to see waterfalls up there as well. Shorter midwest ones, but I'll take what I could get. Some of this off the path running may not seem to be *perfect* for building up to a marathon, but I think it still is helpful. It's still running and even more so it's taking care of you mentally. I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to continually just go from one marathon build to the next even if you took an appropriate amount of time to recover. The mental aspect is tremendous. You have to keep things fresh at times and you  have to do some things to make that so. The cross country season should help with that. It may not be quite *perfect*, but I think it brings a lot for you. Having a singular focus can be good for a time, but over a longer haul it can really burn you out.

I appreciate your feedback, Ben. There are so many helpful tidbits in what you said. 

I feel comforted in the fact that even YOU get a little wanderlust You should come over to the PNW and I will show you some amazing stuff.

I have been working on figuring out such a trip!

Well, if you get serious please let me know. I would be happy to show you around or join you on an adventure or whatever.

There are so many to be had around here! 

Next week I am going to hike up to about 10K on Mt. Hood with my snowboard, camp so I can see sunset/sunrise (it's south facing so you can look east and west for rise/set) snowboard down then run a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail.

Is there anything specific you were looking to do or see?

2014-08-13 1:47 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm loving all the summer fruits and veggies.  We don't have a garden but our farmer's markets are great.  I've been eating lots of fresh peaches with vanilla yogurt, there's corn on the cob waiting to be cooked and Alex sauteed some tomatoes and bell peppers last night to put on ravioli tonight.  Sunday night we had BLTs.  Yum!!

2014-08-13 1:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Hang in there!  Not much longer now!

Glad to hear you're doing better.  Great job on the bike.  1.5 hrs. on an exercise bike - now that takes commitment!!!

2014-08-13 1:50 PM

User image

Seattle

That is AWESOME! I really miss having a garden!

2014-08-13 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm loving all the summer fruits and veggies.  We don't have a garden but our farmer's markets are great.  I've been eating lots of fresh peaches with vanilla yogurt, there's corn on the cob waiting to be cooked and Alex sauteed some tomatoes and bell peppers last night to put on ravioli tonight.  Sunday night we had BLTs.  Yum!!

The Olathe Sweet Corn is THE BEST!!!!!!!

2014-08-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Signed up for this also.

TP > BT seems to lose intervals so be aware of that.

2014-08-13 2:37 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Signed up for this also.

TP > BT seems to lose intervals so be aware of that.

Seems to me all it carries is the time and sport! Anything else I want to retain in BT I type in myself.

2014-08-13 2:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Signed up for this also.

I do the same, but go from Garmin to BT.  It really doesn't take long.  And soon MapMyFitness will be automatic as well.

You know, I would expect Garmin and BT to be automatic at some point.... Does anyone know if there are rumors (I almost spelled that rumours, which would mean that I'm spending too much time reading English soccer (er, football) (parenthetical inside a parenthetical > bonus points!) sites) about this?

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-08-13 2:47 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45024 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39222 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 76024 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52213 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27588 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.