BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-11-30 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3920241

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
RoniS - 2011-11-30 9:13 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 3:43 AM

So? who's ready to rock a race this weekend?  Details!

For the rest of us, there seems to be a lot of chatter about LT tests on the bike.  If you've done one, spill your strategy for getting the very best result possible! 

NFEC 50 miler on Saturday! The course is now 10,023 ft of ascent and 51.2 miles long, due to some trail maintenance course changes. An extra 1.2 miles isn't a big deal, but I'm glad I noticed it beforehand, so I'm not mentally finished at 50, lol. My strategy is to walk the ups, run the downs and flats, and keep moving forward. As long as I stay under 16' miles, I'm golden.

I am 50 years old and I am mentally finished!

2011-11-30 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3920274

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
gotta run - 2011-11-30 6:30 AM

For the rest of us, there seems to be a lot of chatter about LT tests on the bike.  If you've done one, spill your strategy for getting the very best result possible! 

NFEC 50 miler on Saturday! The course is now 10,023 ft of ascent and 51.2 miles long, due to some trail maintenance course changes. An extra 1.2 miles isn't a big deal, but I'm glad I noticed it beforehand, so I'm not mentally finished at 50, lol. My strategy is to walk the ups, run the downs and flats, and keep moving forward. As long as I stay under 16' miles, I'm golden.

Same strategy, but for only 26.2 miles and 3500 ft of ascent. Leave it to the crazy kids in this MG to make that sound easy! Roni, I'll be thinking of you and sending you strong-leg thoughts while I'm sipping my hot soup after my race! 

Ha! Nothing easy about that, Julia! You'll just be pushing harder for a shorter amount of time... much harder. Have a great race! I look forward to hearing all about it Saturday night! I'll be thinking of you and soaking in all those positive running vibes.

haha, Doug... you're not finished. You're a  soon to be Ironman

*edited for Doug

Edited by RoniS 2011-11-30 9:03 AM
2011-11-30 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3920022

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 5:43 AM

My wife and I are doing the Christmas Town Dash 8K in Busch Gardens Williamsburg, VA.  Supposed to be pretty neat, park is all decorated for christmas, with a couple thousand runners.

Thanks for all the input on the bike trainer LT... I'm going to hit that up early next week.  Doing some experimenting this week with cadence and gears to "estimate" where I can be set-up for the LT.

2011-11-30 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3920274

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
gotta run - 2011-11-30 9:30 AM

Same strategy, but for only 26.2 miles and 3500 ft of ascent. Leave it to the crazy kids in this MG to make that sound easy! Roni, I'll be thinking of you and sending you strong-leg thoughts while I'm sipping my hot soup after my race! 

Again, I am just amazed.  I am proud of my first 50 mile month of running.  I can't imagine doing it all in one day.  Good luck this weekend, Roni!  Good luck with your marathon, Julia!! 

November's totals:
Run:10h 27m 11s  - 52.51 Mi
2011-11-30 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3919686

User image

Veteran
tricrazy - 2011-11-29 7:41 PM

So my curent state of emotions are all over the place.  A quick background on my kids.  My second pregnancy was a surprise twin pregnancy.  We ended up needing intra-uterine surgery at 19.5 weeks for TTTS.  They were born at 29 weeks.  That night the neonatologist told us Gabriel would not make it through the night.  He did but ended up with a grade 3 and 4 brain hemmoraghe.  He had a VP shunt placed at one month old followed by sepsis due to klebsiella and then meningitis.  He has had 3 follow up surgeries on the shunt since.  He didn't walk until 2.5 and has many gross and fine motor skill delays.  He is now 4.5.

So, I have suspected for a little while he had cerebral palsy and we had an appointment today with a neurologist who confirmed it.  It doesn't change much and I knew why we were going today but it still makes me sad.  I feel like he has so many hurdles and hills to climb and one more has been thrown his way.  Granted he is a fighter who will make you laugh so hard you cry (and not always on purpose), I just hate this for him. 

Rachel,
Thoughts and prayers headed your way during this trying time.  
He is not the only fighter in your family.  You have all been spectacular fighters throughout his life and will continue to be.  Your feelings are completely justified, and yes, it's gonna be tough.  HOWEVER, Your family is so strong - he's a fighter naturally!!  He has an AWESOME support network behind him and that goes a very long way.  
As Jayne said, this is yet another bump in the road.  Just got to take it one step at all time, all in stride, just like a marathon.

Best wishes and prayers,
Brent 

2011-11-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3920189

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2011-11-30 7:52 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 6:43 AM

Last official cross race of the season, Capital Cross Classic in Reston VA.

Do you mean FTP test or LT test?  I've done FTP tests at home, but only LT tests with my coach hooked up to some machine.

Really?    Here's what I mean, "balls to the wall" for 20".  Done correctly, your AvgHR should be darn close to your LT (no? mine is) and from that you can determine your FTP (95% of the watts given the length of the test).  If going by HR then it's the average over those 20".

Dan, I have had varying results between indoor and outdoor tests.  If the course is flat then outdoors is usually higer for me. If it is hilly which I have done on purpose since it mimics real life around here, then it's usually lower than what I can pound out inside because of spin outs going down hill.

I have yet to perfect doing one of these suckers indoors.  I always start too high and watts drop over time. Interested to hear how other people avoid that.

2011-11-30 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3918774

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2011-11-29 10:28 AM

You boys make it really hard to catch up on BT posts at work   Great job to all our turkey holiday racers.  I'm looking forward to reading all the race reports.  

I second all the advise about the right leg/knee pain.  I tried to HTFU on a similar issue with very unhappy consequences.  Find the root cause please!!!

As I was planning my race schedule for next year I asked my coach if I should end the season with the Augusta HIM or a marathon.  His answer......... Let's do both!!!!!  Typical!     So much for taking it easy next year.    Any IMFL peeps interested in racing Augusta?  

Doug, I'm registering for all the FS series open water swims.  I'll even do the Big Deuce with you if you want.  Better see your butt out there  

i'll smack you in the a$$ at augusta, again! 

but lets keep the Big Duece talk to yourself please.  unless of course you're talking about leaving doug an upper decker... then its funny!

2011-11-30 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
tricrazy - 2011-11-29 8:41 PM

So my curent state of emotions are all over the place.  A quick background on my kids.  My second pregnancy was a surprise twin pregnancy.  We ended up needing intra-uterine surgery at 19.5 weeks for TTTS.  They were born at 29 weeks.  That night the neonatologist told us Gabriel would not make it through the night.  He did but ended up with a grade 3 and 4 brain hemmoraghe.  He had a VP shunt placed at one month old followed by sepsis due to klebsiella and then meningitis.  He has had 3 follow up surgeries on the shunt since.  He didn't walk until 2.5 and has many gross and fine motor skill delays.  He is now 4.5.

So, I have suspected for a little while he had cerebral palsy and we had an appointment today with a neurologist who confirmed it.  It doesn't change much and I knew why we were going today but it still makes me sad.  I feel like he has so many hurdles and hills to climb and one more has been thrown his way.  Granted he is a fighter who will make you laugh so hard you cry (and not always on purpose), I just hate this for him. 

goodness gracious.. i'm so sorry to hear this.  will keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers. 

2011-11-30 10:58 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
tricrazy - 2011-11-29 5:41 PM

Rachel, big hugs to you. Gabriel sounds like a very special boy and like everyone has said, you are a great mom, you guys will rise up and meet each challenge together.
2011-11-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3920022

User image

Champion
marietta

edit.. wow forgot this.. GOOD LUCK YOU RACING FOOLS>>>  RONI... LOL!!!!!

two races saturday. 1 miler at the kiddo school.  i'm gonna roll up in all my ironman gear and crush dreams.

then a 5k in the evening.  i'll probably be to tired from the 1 mile several hours earlier to really give it a go.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-11-30 11:03 AM
2011-11-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3920471

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 11:21 AM

Do you mean FTP test or LT test?  I've done FTP tests at home, but only LT tests with my coach hooked up to some machine.

Really?    Here's what I mean, "balls to the wall" for 20".  Done correctly, your AvgHR should be darn close to your LT (no? mine is) and from that you can determine your FTP (95% of the watts given the length of the test).  If going by HR then it's the average over those 20".

Dan, I have had varying results between indoor and outdoor tests.  If the course is flat then outdoors is usually higer for me. If it is hilly which I have done on purpose since it mimics real life around here, then it's usually lower than what I can pound out inside because of spin outs going down hill.

I have yet to perfect doing one of these suckers indoors.  I always start too high and watts drop over time. Interested to hear how other people avoid that.

I thought the V02 test I did gave me my theoretical Max HR zone and from there you could get LT and HR zones.  It's been awhile so I could be confusing things.  The test was just slow ramp up, ride 2 minutes at some tension, make it harder, rinse, repeat until you can't go anymore.  Same as the running one on the treadmill.

FTP test protocol is normally 15 minutes warmup, few bursts, all out 5 minute TT, 10 min easy, then 20 minute all out TT.

That gives you your 5 minute wattage which is used in some calculation and your 20 minute wattage which a percentage is used to figure out your FTP. 

For that test it was tough for me because I always use so much up on the 5 minute test that the 10 min recovery isn't enough, but I guess that's part of the test so you're legs aren't totally fresh for the 20 minute ride.  FTP is supposed to be the max average wattage you can ride for 1 hour.

For me I start with a number I "think" I should be at and bump it down from there for the first couple of minutes, then slowly ramp it up, if I have more I keep going past my made up starting number, if not, I try to maintain it there for the majority of the time, then go as hard as possible for the last few minutes.

Going balls to the wall right out the gate never works for me, I just crap out after a few minutes, so ramping it up seems to work for me.

I have gotten better FTP numbers doing Time Trials, races are better motivators than the trainer.

I think for using both, if your workout intensity is built around FTP, or HR numbers you'll know your test wasn't accurate if the workouts that are supposed to be hard are either impossible or too easy, so you can adjust from there.

2011-11-30 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3920700

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2011-11-30 12:38 PM

I thought the V02 test I did gave me my theoretical Max HR zone and from there you could get LT and HR zones.  It's been awhile so I could be confusing things.  The test was just slow ramp up, ride 2 minutes at some tension, make it harder, rinse, repeat until you can't go anymore.  Same as the running one on the treadmill.

I did a lab test similar to this, but we called it an LT, not a VO2.  I am sure it was useful for my coach in designing workouts and it did set my FTP.

FTP test protocol is normally 15 minutes warmup, few bursts, all out 5 minute TT, 10 min easy, then 20 minute all out TT.

Yep, mine was similar to this.  We do these rarely.  He seems to have some secret formula that moves my FTP around though.  I don't ask....

That gives you your 5 minute wattage which is used in some calculation and your 20 minute wattage which a percentage is used to figure out your FTP. 

For that test it was tough for me because I always use so much up on the 5 minute test that the 10 min recovery isn't enough, but I guess that's part of the test so you're legs aren't totally fresh for the 20 minute ride.  FTP is supposed to be the max average wattage you can ride for 1 hour.

For me I start with a number I "think" I should be at and bump it down from there for the first couple of minutes, then slowly ramp it up, if I have more I keep going past my made up starting number, if not, I try to maintain it there for the majority of the time, then go as hard as possible for the last few minutes.

Going balls to the wall right out the gate never works for me, I just crap out after a few minutes, so ramping it up seems to work for me.

I have gotten better FTP numbers doing Time Trials, races are better motivators than the trainer.

I think for using both, if your workout intensity is built around FTP, or HR numbers you'll know your test wasn't accurate if the workouts that are supposed to be hard are either impossible or too easy, so you can adjust from there.

I intentionally Terped' it....

2011-11-30 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Champion

Another month down!  It should be completely obvious where my focus has been....as I was walking out of the pool for the hundreth time since IM (ok maybe not), I was dreaming of the day when I was good enough to take the whole winter off and come back and be half as fast as the fasties!

November's totals:
Bike:11h 34m - 216.6 Mi
Run:14h 59m 28s - 97.69 Mi
Swim:17h 22m - 30800 Yd
Strength:50m
Core Training:40m
Yoga:3h 00m

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-11-30 1:25 PM
2011-11-30 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
dalessit - 2011-11-30 12:38 PM  FTP test protocol is normally 15 minutes warmup, few bursts, all out 5 minute TT, 10 min easy, then 20 minute all out TT.

Actually this is a Critical Power Test, but will give you exactly what you are looking for ........ use the testing process as listed for Power or HR (see tab in Calculator) and then fill in the proper numbers in the proper calculator when done: 

Jorge's Critical Power Calculator . 

Edited by badgerintx 2011-11-30 1:38 PM
2011-11-30 1:36 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2011-11-30 10:38 AM

Yes, balls to the wall for the full test definitely does not work for me...I have had to learn this the hard way by actually getting about 17 minutes into a 30 minute test and having to quit due to my inability to keep my legs going.  Literally, they just stopped working, it was rather depressing.  UGH! 

I am still not sure why I have to do a 30 minute test, it really sucks!!! 

I ramp up by having a certain number in my head or at least a certain HR that I need to hit, go below that a bit for the first 10 minutes, this is when I am supposed to hit the lap button, then I go hard like in an OLY race for 10 more minutes, then 5 minutes of omg, I think I might never make it, but by now that number should be higher than my initial target, and then for the last 5 minutes, I say to myself, no quitting now, there's no way I am doing this test again next week!!!Stare at my feet, block out the pain and keep them hammering.  By now my breathing is reduced to grunts and even Ripley is scared...I usually stand up and hammer for the last 90 seconds or so just to eek out a bit more.

I have done this both inside and outside, but prefer to test inside because it is really hard for me to find a stretch of road without stop signs, cars crossing, etc that I can go all out for 30 minutes and not risk getting killed.

Did I mention, I hate it?  I hate it!  It sucks!  Yell

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF OUR RACERS!!!! 

btw, where is canada?  i thought ELI put the E.L.I in elite?  ha, you wanna smack talk???  bring it.

2011-11-30 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3920816

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
kt65 - 2011-11-30 2:36 PM

Yes, balls to the wall for the full test definitely does not work for me...I have had to learn this the hard way by actually getting about 17 minutes into a 30 minute test and having to quit due to my inability to keep my legs going.  Literally, they just stopped working, it was rather depressing.  UGH! 

I ramp up by having a certain number in my head or at least a certain HR that I need to hit, go below that a bit for the first 10 minutes, this is when I am supposed to hit the lap button, then I go hard like in an OLY race for 10 more minutes, then 5 minutes of omg, I think I might never make it, but by now that number should be higher than my initial target, and then for the last 5 minutes, I say to myself, no quitting now, there's no way I am doing this test again next week!!!Stare at my feet, block out the pain and keep them hammering.  By now my breathing is reduced to grunts and even Ripley is scared...I usually stand up and hammer for the last 90 seconds or so just to eek out a bit more.

I have done this both inside and outside, but prefer to test inside because it is really hard for me to find a stretch of road without stop signs, cars crossing, etc that I can go all out for 30 minutes and not risk getting killed.

btw, where is canada?  i thought ELI put the E.L.I in elite?  ha, you wanna smack talk???  bring it.

Just to keep embedding quotes.

I would imagine the longer you can do them the more accurate your test will be, but the harder it will be to get it right.  I've done the same thing you talked about, dying about 1/2 way through the test.

2011-11-30 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2011-11-30 1:36 PM

Ok, I'm really confused.  First Fatty talks about "deuce" and now you talk about "ELI".  Did I fall asleep and wake up ten years later and miss something? LOST.

Twin, I like your approach to the test.  I don't foresee having to do one of these for quite a while (like February or March), but I will call upon your thoughts when that 20" test comes my way. 

2011-11-30 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran

Resisting the urge to embed another long quote....... ok, all better...

GREAT discussion on FTP/LT/VO2 testing... learning a lot here.  Didn't realize there were different tests for the bike (to me FTP = File Transfer Protocol)

I'm not running any wattage capturing device... just cadence, HR and speed on my Garmin 305 (and the speed doesn't seem quite right given the physical input - on the trainer mind you).

I was just going to perform a HR related LT type test similar to the run version... 10 minutes of WU, hit the lap button, 30 minutes of "given her all she's got", average of my HR for an LT, then cooling down over the toilet as I puke my guts out... (not really but I thought I would add some flair) :-)

But really,  Is this going to be of any use at all or an extremely hard earned waste of time?

Here's my month, pretty slow:  Yep just got back on the bike.

November's totals:
Bike:1h 54m 51s  - 25.67 Mi
Run:8h 43m 41s  - 48.44 Mi
Plyometrics:42m

Edited by Scalded_Dawg 2011-11-30 3:56 PM
2011-11-30 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3920803

User image

Veteran
badgerintx - 2011-11-30 1:33 PM
dalessit - 2011-11-30 12:38 PM  FTP test protocol is normally 15 minutes warmup, few bursts, all out 5 minute TT, 10 min easy, then 20 minute all out TT.

Actually this is a Critical Power Test, but will give you exactly what you are looking for ........ use the testing process as listed for Power or HR (see tab in Calculator) and then fill in the proper numbers in the proper calculator when done: 

Just read the link here...
The "Cycling Heart Rate Test (HR-MLSS)" is what I had planned to do.  Thanks Dino!!

Edited by Scalded_Dawg 2011-11-30 4:00 PM
2011-11-30 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3921013

User image

Champion
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-11-30 3:58 PM

The "Cycling Heart Rate Test (HR-MLSS)" is what I had planned to do.  Thanks Dino!!

The test truly sucks, but it really is worth it.  It allows you to keep the easy days easy and makes you push those hard days to the right level.  Embrace the puke.

2011-11-30 6:53 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Just running for me this month.

November's totals:
Run:19h 16m 11s  - 114.52 Mi

2011-11-30 6:58 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

That's a nice bit of running there, Rachel!  Would you like to run the Goofy challenge for me? 

My run has been a bit curtailed by the little heel issue that seems to be resolving, but my bike is back up to speed and swim project "kim can swim" continues, slowly but surely.

November's totals:
Bike:15h 38m  - 295.25 Mi
Run:11h 44m 30s  - 84 Mi
Swim:10h 10m  - 16400 Yd
Strength:20m
2011-11-30 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3921167

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 9:12 PM
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-11-30 3:58 PM

The test truly sucks, but it really is worth it.  It allows you to keep the easy days easy and makes you push those hard days to the right level.  Embrace the puke.

Jorge's plan (which I'm not doing) calls for doing the CP5 and CP20 tests on separate days.  I'm planning to use that approach.  I think doing them back to back would hurt way too much.

2011-11-30 7:02 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
kt65 - 2011-11-30 4:36 PM 

btw, where is canada?  

On a sunny morning go outside and face the sun.  Turn to your left (90 degrees).   Canada is straight ahead.   If you're going to try and get there, bring a few gels and your passport.

2011-11-30 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

November's numbers (in metric):

November's totals:
Bike:10h 43m 10s  - 375.07 KM
Run:9h 28m 12s  - 102.4 KM
Swim:16h 55m  - 16150 M

Edited by dcon 2011-11-30 7:07 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298