BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-03-07 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3385892

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
debbiereid06 - 2011-03-07 8:50 AM

Had a really crappy run yesterday...I remember why I run right when I get up!!!  Ran at 1:30 yesterday afternoon, after I had eaten lunch and felt sick the entire run.  No good.  The weekend was not so great.  Because of all the rain St. Louis got Friday into Saturday am our basement flooded and it is a huge mess Yell

Oh well...on a positive note I have my first race since Thanksgiving this coming Saturday and I am really excited about it!!  It is a St. Patricks Day 5 mile run.  I can't wait!!!

Hope everyone's weekend was good!

Sorry to hear about the not so great run - live and learn right? Honestly, sometimes we learn more from the things that don't go so well in training - and it's exactly what training is for!

We also had terrible weather Rain then snow then cold again! yikes!!! This is a tough time of year!

2011-03-07 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So,  team, what's on tap for this week? How did last week go?

We have Mylissa with her first tri coming up this weekend - she needs our support! Debbie is doing a run race.  Anyone else racing?

Anyway, more questions/topics for discussion?

2011-03-07 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Hope today's looking up, Darren.  Crappy runs/days suck!! 

Good luck this weekend, Debbie and Mylissa!!  I'll be thinking of you both and cheering you on from afar!!

No race for me this weekend, but I'll be running a 4 mile St. Patrick's Day race the following week (3/19).  Lots of hills, so will be good training!

2011-03-07 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3385883

User image

Champion
Calgary
juniperjen - 2011-03-07 6:45 AM

Happy Monday everyone!!

I don't mean to be so cheerful but I am so very excited!!! I bought a bike yesterday!!!  I really didn't mean to but we went to the spring bike show and sale to take a peek around and the LBS closest to me had a great deal on a Felt B12 in my size.  I forgot the picture at home.  My husband got them to throw in a fluid trainer for $50 off as well.  :D

But, I don't have it yet. I have to call to go for a fitting but you can bet that will happen quickly.

It is BEAUTIFUL but i am a little sheepish - not sure what I'll do with such a powerful bike and I know the first few outdoor rides will be pretty scary or pathetically slow. 

Happy day!
2011-03-07 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3384747

User image

Upstate NY
kpringle - 2011-03-06 9:21 AM

Thanks everyone for all the feedback on training for a 1/2 marathon!  Sounds like it's do-able.  I never in a million years would have thought I'd be considering this if you asked me a year ago... 

Robby - The one I'm actually thinking of doing is the Mohawk Hudson River/Marine Corps Reserves 1/2 Marathon in Albany on Oct 9th.  My parents still live in the area and I hear the course is either flat or downhill, which is nice for a first-timer like me!  Have you ever run this race?

I went for a nice run outside today, FINALLY!  It's about 50 degrees here!! 

I have never run that race but I grew up a mile from the start and grew up riding the course and continue to train on it.  I tend not to train on that course too much because it is so flat!  (All the races I do are full of hills)

Yeah that would be great for your first 1/2 marathon!  It is a point to point race ending in downtown Albany and you are running on the shores of the Hudson river for half of it.

You have to let me know if you do it, because I will be on the course cheering for people and I would love to add you to my cheering list!!!

2011-03-07 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3385883

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
juniperjen - 2011-03-07 8:45 AM

Happy Monday everyone!!

I don't mean to be so cheerful but I am so very excited!!! I bought a bike yesterday!!!  I really didn't mean to but we went to the spring bike show and sale to take a peek around and the LBS closest to me had a great deal on a Felt B12 in my size.  I forgot the picture at home.  My husband got them to throw in a fluid trainer for $50 off as well.  :D

But, I don't have it yet. I have to call to go for a fitting but you can bet that will happen quickly.

It is BEAUTIFUL but i am a little sheepish - not sure what I'll do with such a powerful bike and I know the first few outdoor rides will be pretty scary or pathetically slow. 

yay, that's awesome!  post a pic of your pretty new bike when you get it so we can all have bike-envy!  

2011-03-08 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Here it is:

Pong- - My new Felt B12

I am miffed with the bike shop because they wouldn't even set up an appointment for me for the fitting (did i mention they have the bike, I don't have it in my possession?) because they are busy! I get that but even just book me an appointment not tell me to call back next week - i paid in full and i am anxious and excited ... anyway, it's still beautiful - i am not waiting until next week to call back. 

2011-03-08 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3387846

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Ooooo, Jen....  She is so pretty!!  I would be miffed, too.  Hope they can squeeze you in for an appointment soon!
2011-03-08 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Told to get my a$$ back in here & do somethingInnocent

So, a topic for discussion...

Since Mylissa in doing an Olympic this weekend, it might be good to go over a few transition tips. Go Mylissa!!!  No more ice cream in Disney, you have a race to run!!

In triathlon, transition time management is an art & requires some forethought.  Having a plan & your "area" planned out, will make things much moire efficient, not to mention taking minutes off your time!  Indeed, not having it planned has caused an occasional faint, cramp, etc!!

As you know, there are 2 transition points, from water to bike (T1) & bike to run (T2).  

So here is your chance to give some hints/tips on how YOU manage your T1 & T2. 

How is yours set up?

What things do you keep in mind?

What has not worked for you?  What mistakes have you made before?

For those of us who are going to  first tri, now is time for questions, not when you are trying to tie running shoes in T2 & can't get up, because of a leg cramp from biking too hard!!! (this sorta resembles me)

Let's try & keep this thread going, for the 6 weeks it has left!

InnocentKiss
2011-03-08 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

Maybe we will put the boss, JJ, to work, to start the discussion...

Jen,  How do you set up your transition area?  Any must-haves for your area?

Thank You...

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-03-08 5:19 PM
2011-03-08 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

Keri,

You have done a dozen or so tris...Maybe you could give some insight about T1?

Would you describe what you do from exiting the water, thru T1, until you hop on your bike...  

What is your general plan?  Guide us through a play-by-play of your transition!!!

Many thanks!!

2011-03-08 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

Robby,

You as well, are no stranger to tris.

Could you guide us through your typical T2.  when you hop off your bike until you start to run...what is your play-by-play.

Any tricks you have picked up?  

Also, nutrition on bike?  Do you use gels?  Do you tape to crossbar?  Bento box? Special fluid containers?

Any advice??

Thank You...

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-03-08 5:50 PM
2011-03-08 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3388846

User image

Pro
Houston
GoGoGo - 2011-03-08 3:06 PM Told to get my a$$ back in here & do somethingInnocent

So, a topic for discussion...

Since Mylissa in doing an Olympic this weekend, it might be good to go over a few transition tips. Go Mylissa!!!  No more ice cream in Disney, you have a race to run!!

In triathlon, transition time management is an art & requires some forethought.  Having a plan & your "area" planned out, will make things much moire efficient, not to mention taking minutes off your time!  Indeed, not having it planned has caused an occasional faint, cramp, etc!!

As you know, there are 2 transition points, from water to bike (T1) & bike to run (T2).  

So here is your chance to give some hints/tips on how YOU manage your T1 & T2. 

How is yours set up?

What things do you keep in mind?

What has not worked for you?  What mistakes have you made before?

For those of us who are going to  first tri, now is time for questions, not when you are trying to tie running shoes in T2 & can't get up, because of a leg cramp from biking too hard!!! (this sorta resembles me)

Let's try & keep this thread going, for the 6 weeks it has left!

InnocentKiss

Transition Talk Smile

Here is what I do:

First I have a towel that is bright and different from other towels - mine are striped hand towels pink/white/green, I have 2 of them one on my bike and one on the ground under my stuff.

My bike helmet is on my aero bars, sunglasses are inside helmet and towel is draped over both of them. This keeps the glasses from getting knocked out of the helmet, gives me a sight reference when looking for my bike and I can grab it and wipe off my face/hands/feet if I want.

The other towel is on the ground vertically, the cycling shoes are first and if I wear socks I have put them on, rolled them off and they are inside the shoes. For long races food is in my bento box for short races I tape a Gu to my cross bar on my bike. Make sure helmet is BUCKLED, you can be DQ'd for an unbuckled helmet though usually they say something and then you get a time penalty. I saw somebody DQ'd for this because when reminded he pitched a fit like a 2 year old.

Behind my cycling shoes are my running shoes (speed laces, I prefer Lock laces) with my hat/visor on top and then my race belt. If it is windy the race belt goes under the hat. If I am going w/o socks my shoes have plenty of vaseline on the heel, ball of foot and where the toes go. Any nutrition is in my shoes. Shoes on, grab race belt and visor on my way out of T2.

The mistakes I have made is taking too much stuff. On a sprint - do not take anything on the run for nutrition/water, not worth your time. I use an aero bottle on my bike and I freeze half the water or gatorade the night before and fill the rest in the morning. It is hot here!

Keep it simple especially at the sprint/Oly distance. For my HIM I REALLY wanted chapstick for the run and it was in my backpack rather than out where I could find it so I had to fish around.

It is a good idea to have a water bottle in transition to grab a quick sip or to rinse of hands/feet if you need to.

When you set up your transition hang out if you can. People will move your bike and you could start out with a primo spot near the exit and end up getting pushed and not know where your stuff is. If you have to check with family and hit the potty check back right before they close transition to make sure your stuff is where you want it to be.

2011-03-09 4:37 AM
in reply to: #3389114

User image

Expert
Canada

KeriKadi - 2011-03-08 7:45 PM

Transition Talk Smile

Here is what I do:

First I have a towel that is bright and different from other towels - mine are striped hand towels pink/white/green, I have 2 of them one on my bike and one on the ground under my stuff.

My bike helmet is on my aero bars, sunglasses are inside helmet and towel is draped over both of them. This keeps the glasses from getting knocked out of the helmet, gives me a sight reference when looking for my bike and I can grab it and wipe off my face/hands/feet if I want.

The other towel is on the ground vertically, the cycling shoes are first and if I wear socks I have put them on, rolled them off and they are inside the shoes. For long races food is in my bento box for short races I tape a Gu to my cross bar on my bike. Make sure helmet is BUCKLED, you can be DQ'd for an unbuckled helmet though usually they say something and then you get a time penalty. I saw somebody DQ'd for this because when reminded he pitched a fit like a 2 year old.

Behind my cycling shoes are my running shoes (speed laces, I prefer Lock laces) with my hat/visor on top and then my race belt. If it is windy the race belt goes under the hat. If I am going w/o socks my shoes have plenty of vaseline on the heel, ball of foot and where the toes go. Any nutrition is in my shoes. Shoes on, grab race belt and visor on my way out of T2.

The mistakes I have made is taking too much stuff. On a sprint - do not take anything on the run for nutrition/water, not worth your time. I use an aero bottle on my bike and I freeze half the water or gatorade the night before and fill the rest in the morning. It is hot here!

Keep it simple especially at the sprint/Oly distance. For my HIM I REALLY wanted chapstick for the run and it was in my backpack rather than out where I could find it so I had to fish around.

It is a good idea to have a water bottle in transition to grab a quick sip or to rinse of hands/feet if you need to.

When you set up your transition hang out if you can. People will move your bike and you could start out with a primo spot near the exit and end up getting pushed and not know where your stuff is. If you have to check with family and hit the potty check back right before they close transition to make sure your stuff is where you want it to be.

Very comprehensive, well thought out response!

Do you wear a wetsuit?  How do you handle this?  Do you start to remove as you exit water or when you get at T1?

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-03-09 4:38 AM
2011-03-09 7:22 AM

User image

Memphis

You guys are so awesome!!!

Thank you Richard for starting the TT! BUT...as awesome as you guys THINK I am ...SPRINT DISTANCE this weekend, not Oly! I WISH!!!

Jen, that was really helpful. I'll be reading back through it again on Friday am.

Interesting...since I signed up as a "frist tri-er", the race company invited me to an online webinar tonight at 8pm. Never heard of this sort of thing! Excited to see what its all about.

Canned this am's 20m swim in the resort pool - when 6:30 hit, after hitting the hay at midnight after Magic Kingdom all day, I just couldn't get up. Right now, most concerned about water temp/air temp Saturday am. Its going to be cold. The end.

Also interesting...I have to wear an ankle bracelet...which will go on AFTER wetsuit is on...which means I have to get THAT off, get wetsuit off, and remember to get ankle bracelet back on!!! Hearing theve been forgiving in the past to the first tri-er's on the ankle bracelet deal if you don't remember it till T2. BTW - its HUGE. Looks like a jailbreak bracelet. ???

off to Animal Kingdom!!!! Will try to get that swim in a bit later.

2011-03-09 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Mylissa, that's very cool about the webinar they are offering. I hope there are some good tidbits for you.  Is the ankle bracelet your timing chip? If so, don't worry about taking it off in T1, you wetsuit will come over it no problem.  Most of them are velcro ankle straps that take a lot of effort to move so once you have it on it should be below your wetsuit.  It does feel weird in the water though. don't worry it will stay on!!

As for setting up transition:

Well, the first thing to say is this is not a vacation.  DO NOT pack up everything you might need.  If you pack too many things you can fluster yourself by worrying about too many things which in my experience you end up forgetting anway.  And for shorter races, really not that much is needed

The essentials of my transition bag:

- plastic 'kitchen catcher bag'

- goggles

- wet suit

- race belt

- bike shoes

- socks

- sunglasses

- water

- running shoes

- HELMET!

- garmin

- bright coloured towel (i have a pink one)

Also room on the rack is usually limited so don't set up a whole area - just rack your bike and have everything in a narrow area to one side of your bike. 

Your helmet is key as is your race number.  The helmet should be the first thing you put on in T1 so make sure it's the most accessible thing to you in transition. Put it on your bike or in front. In many races you can be DQ'ed or penalized for touching your bike without your helmet on!!

Keri mentioned already but create a bit of order - set out the things you need in the order you'll use them ... your swim stuff you'll have with you but  helmet, socks (unballed and tucked into my shoes), shoes, sunglasses should be set out together and up front.  I have forgotten so many things i intended to do if i I don't leave them out.  Behind it will be my running shoes and hat and often I'll stick a gel in my run shoes in case I need it.

In my experience the transition zone is a very flustering area. No one wants to spend a lot of time there.  And once you're in a race and some of your AG'ers are coming in and out the motivation to be quick is suddenly present.  Don't worry about being neat with the things you're done with - don't block people but don't dally putting things away that you're done with.  My zone is usually a bit of dump after the race is done but better spend the time actually racing than being tidy.

Ooh just talking about it making me jazzed for the new season.

Oh and things like sunscreen, lip balm, body glide should all be done before the race starts - that stuff is so easily forgotten and can take up a lot of time.

2011-03-09 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Good points Jen.

If you are wearing a wetsuit be liberal with the body glide - put it everywhere especially around your neck front and back. Having it on your arms and shoulders will also help the suit go on easier. For the legs it is handy to have one of those plastic grocery bags - Put it on your foot and slide your foot through the suit as far as you want then pull the bag off and put it on the other foot, really makes it easier.

When I come out of the water I reach of the laniard on the back of my suit first and yank it to get the zipper started. I pull the suit off my shoulders and arms and down to my waist as I am running out of the water. When I get to the strippers I find someone of size, usually a dude, point to him to let him/her know you chose them to pull your suit off - it gets kind of crazy and somone else could run up to the same person. Lay down and throw your feet in the air. If you are lucky they will get it off in one quick yank and hand you your suit.

My first wetsuit race was an Oly last year and I picked a guy I knew. At my HIM I picked a very eager young man and when I pointed and said "you" his whole face lit up.

You will have to carry your wetsuit back to transition. I put mine on the ground under my bike.

Keep in mind when racking your bike that some officials are VERY picky. Some racks have exact numbers on them and your bike has to face the same direction of the number with your front wheel on the ground. This can be tricky for those of us that are tall. The racks are low for me so getting my bike under the bar can be very tricky. Some races allow you to rack by the handlebars and others make you rack by the seat. Either is fine just don't get flustered if they ask you to move your bike.

My secret weapon is Rescue Remedy made by Bach. It comes in spray, drops and chews. This is a natural calming homeopathic remedy. You can get it at any health food store and some nicer grocery stores. I always take some before the OWS and sometimes earlier in the morning if I feel anxious. I like the chews, I can toss a couple in my mouth in transition and chew them on my way to the water. Helps me with that panicky feeling.

2011-03-09 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3389670

User image

Expert
Canada
mylissahorrocks - 2011-03-09 9:22 AM

You guys are so awesome!!!

Thank you Richard for starting the TT! BUT...as awesome as you guys THINK I am ...SPRINT DISTANCE this weekend, not Oly! I WISH!!!

Jen, that was really helpful. I'll be reading back through it again on Friday am.

Sprint...you still have to transition.  Slightly different depending on distance, but be prepared!!!

R

PS. Don't sell yourself short.  Be positive...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

2011-03-09 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3389736

User image

Expert
Canada
juniperjen - 2011-03-09 10:05 AM

Well, the first thing to say is this is not a vacation.  DO NOT pack up everything you might need.  If you pack too many things you can fluster yourself by worrying about too many things which in my experience you end up forgetting anway.  And for shorter races, really not that much is needed

The essentials of my transition bag:

- plastic 'kitchen catcher bag'

- goggles

- wet suit

- race belt

- bike shoes

- socks

- sunglasses

- water

- running shoes

- HELMET!

- garmin

- bright coloured towel (i have a pink one)

Some questions...

Garmin...do you fix to bike or wrist for whole race?  What is your plan for your IM?  6 hours on a bike with Garmin on wrist?  Just curious...

Water...on bike?  or seperate bottle?  Is there need for a seperate bottle?  Do you use it for wash instead of hydration?

What's the kitchen catcher for?

Undecided

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-03-09 4:22 PM
2011-03-09 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3389758

User image

Expert
Canada
KeriKadi - 2011-03-09 10:17 AM

When I come out of the water I reach of the laniard on the back of my suit first and yank it to get the zipper started. I pull the suit off my shoulders and arms and down to my waist as I am running out of the water. When I get to the strippers I find someone of size, usually a dude, point to him to let him/her know you chose them to pull your suit off - it gets kind of crazy and somone else could run up to the same person. Lay down and throw your feet in the air. If you are lucky they will get it off in one quick yank and hand you your suit.

My first wetsuit race was an Oly last year and I picked a guy I knew. At my HIM I picked a very eager young man and when I pointed and said "you" his whole face lit up.

---

My secret weapon is Rescue Remedy made by Bach. It comes in spray, drops and chews. This is a natural calming homeopathic remedy. You can get it at any health food store and some nicer grocery stores. I always take some before the OWS and sometimes earlier in the morning if I feel anxious. I like the chews, I can toss a couple in my mouth in transition and chew them on my way to the water. Helps me with that panicky feeling.

Great description of T1.  Especially wetsuit removal.  Like of the description of "choosing someone"!!

Rescue Remedy...Gotta say, never heard of your secret weapon!!!  What are its ingredients??

Cool

2011-03-09 5:39 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

So...T2...running sockless, what distance?  Do you ever?

Undecided

2011-03-09 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3390928

User image

Pro
Houston
GoGoGo - 2011-03-09 5:39 PM

So...T2...running sockless, what distance?  Do you ever?

Undecided

I only go sockless for sprints. If I am going to wear socks I usually put them on in T1. Look up Rescue Remedy for the ingredients. I looked at mine and the font was too small for my old eyes Bach is floral homeopathy but they all have these long scientific names.

2011-03-10 5:04 AM
in reply to: #3387846

User image

Expert
Canada
juniperjen - 2011-03-08 10:07 AM

Here it is:

Pong- - My new Felt B12

Cool looking!

What pedals are you purchasing?

2011-03-10 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3386051

User image

Memphis
juniperjen - 2011-03-07 9:12 AM
debbiereid06 - 2011-03-07 8:50 AM

Had a really crappy run yesterday...I remember why I run right when I get up!!!  Ran at 1:30 yesterday afternoon, after I had eaten lunch and felt sick the entire run.  No good.  The weekend was not so great.  Because of all the rain St. Louis got Friday into Saturday am our basement flooded and it is a huge mess Yell

Oh well...on a positive note I have my first race since Thanksgiving this coming Saturday and I am really excited about it!!  It is a St. Patricks Day 5 mile run.  I can't wait!!!

Hope everyone's weekend was good!

Sorry to hear about the not so great run - live and learn right? Honestly, sometimes we learn more from the things that don't go so well in training - and it's exactly what training is for!

We also had terrible weather Rain then snow then cold again! yikes!!! This is a tough time of year!

Oh debbie, you are going to do AWESOME this weekend!! So excited for you. can't wait to see the report! We are only 4 hours from each other - we really should get together for a race sometime.

Wishing you luck! And hope all is well for your dad!

2011-03-10 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Mylissa!! Your big race is so soon - I hope you have a wonderful day out there!!! And it's pretty fun reward to be at Disney!!

Socks/No socks: so far I am all about the socks. I have road shoes and just like socks.  Perhaps as my time/speed on the course increase i'll think about shaving that time off by going sockless but that's not now.

Garmin: when I had the 305 I had the quick release kit so i would leave it stashed, turned on in my bike shoes so i could just pop it on the bike when I got to T1 for my first few races.  Apparently, I am a fancy girl and the hubby and I upgraded to the 310 (with quick release, already have the cadence sensor) and now I can use it from the beginning of the race. The battery life is awesome!!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35