BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-17 9:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
A big congratulations to all that raced this weekend. ---Adrienne -- You are one fastie. Never forget your heart and love of the run no matter what. ---Matt -- Sweden? Is that the WTC world's? Congratulations. ---Arend -- Your are fast! You should work on your kick. ---Fred -- You are having a stellar tri year! Kept the plan and the coach. Shoot me a text when you want the ride.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-07-17 9:19 AM

2014-07-17 9:23 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-17 10:00 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
My Musselman race recovery is going real slow....... I made it worst on Wednesday by going into shock after giving some blood for a physical. I got to the second tube felt dizzy and told the lab tech. WHAM........woke up on the floor. I was surprised to see my Doctor and all the nurses over me when I came to. I never had that happen before, it gave me a scare. I was wiped out the rest of day. Maybe its me but I will not be given blood after race again. Today after a 4 mile run I had no color in my face. So a bit concerned and I'll take it ez the rest of the week.
2014-07-17 10:11 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

2014-07-17 10:15 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by axteraa

Race Report is up.

I posted a lot of technical power and running split numbers up for those interested.

Fred, you mentioned your goal was one gel every 20 mins on the run, that sounds high to me and more than Shane has ever recommended to me.  Is that something you've just come up with from past experience and how much did you actually take in?

That's something I came up with in training. I need a fair amount on the bike or I seem to get cranky and weak.

I do it much more by feel though, as sometimes it's actually 15', sometime 25'.

I think, well I know from my experience nutrition changes. More so with fitness levels increase and you plan to ride at said fitness leavels. I used a different nutrition plan at Syracuse and failed. Musselman I did well on nutrition. I went slower but same effort. ----- Fred tested his nutrition at his current fitness level and apply it. Well done!
2014-07-17 10:25 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by BrotherTri My Musselman race recovery is going real slow....... I made it worst on Wednesday by going into shock after giving some blood for a physical. I got to the second tube felt dizzy and told the lab tech. WHAM........woke up on the floor. I was surprised to see my Doctor and all the nurses over me when I came to. I never had that happen before, it gave me a scare. I was wiped out the rest of day. Maybe its me but I will not be given blood after race again. Today after a 4 mile run I had no color in my face. So a bit concerned and I'll take it ez the rest of the week.

Easy swimming and lots of rest James.

I am saying this to Fred as well...

Amen! ---- I feel like such a rookie, making all kinds of mistakes this year. Trying to race like I was 45 again. BAD!!! James....

2014-07-17 10:51 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Originally posted by BrotherTri My Musselman race recovery is going real slow....... I made it worst on Wednesday by going into shock after giving some blood for a physical. I got to the second tube felt dizzy and told the lab tech. WHAM........woke up on the floor. I was surprised to see my Doctor and all the nurses over me when I came to. I never had that happen before, it gave me a scare. I was wiped out the rest of day. Maybe its me but I will not be given blood after race again. Today after a 4 mile run I had no color in my face. So a bit concerned and I'll take it ez the rest of the week.

Easy swimming and lots of rest James.

I am saying this to Fred as well...

Amen! ---- I feel like such a rookie, making all kinds of mistakes this year. Trying to race like I was 45 again. BAD!!! James....

Kids these days ...

2014-07-17 11:54 AM

Swam this am. Both on the bike and swim my form seems a little sloppy post race. Less coordinated so to speak.

Probably normal.

So you guys work or your kick in swimming much?

Well, based on my two swims this week, I seem to be better after a race!    A sprint vs a HIM is a bit different though - not much in the way of residual fatigue in my body that would throw things off.

I was working on my kick over the winter and I was seeing noticeable improvements while I was at it.  It's been a while since I focused on it though and it's back to it's current sad state of affairs.

I think it was that newspaper cover story on you, went to your head!

2014-07-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

I want to chime in here and thank everyone that commented on my track pacing issues, but especially Adrienne as she gave me my new mantra, save the overacheiving for race day      I repeated that several times today.

Last week was 4 x 800 and I struggled through as they all seemed "hard," mentally and physically.  I wasn't destroyed after each, but it definitely took a LOT of work.  I would look at the garmin at the start, add the 800 interval, and try to hit it.

Today was 5 x 800, same interval.  Heeding the advice given here, I actually turned off the mile auto lap function of the garmin and used it as a watch (imagine that).  I took responsiiblity for my own pacing, and figured out what my splits should be at the 100s, 200s, 400s, etc.  It was SO MUCH BETTER.  The 800s seemed easier.  It was less of a mental exercise, which made the physical part easier as well.  I learned a lot about myself and pacing (which most of it I already knew, so re-learning), and that I go out way too fast.   Knowing the splits allowed me to focus on my form rather than wondering where I was time wise.  My interval was 3:40, and I came in at 3:38, :39, :39, :37 and :40 (finally got the last one right). 

Thanks again to the group for the advice.

2014-07-17 1:39 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

Swam this am. Both on the bike and swim my form seems a little sloppy post race. Less coordinated so to speak.

Probably normal.

Well, based on my two swims this week, I seem to be better after a race!    A sprint vs a HIM is a bit different though - not much in the way of residual fatigue in my body that would throw things off.

I was working on my kick over the winter and I was seeing noticeable improvements while I was at it.  It's been a while since I focused on it though and it's back to it's current sad state of affairs.

I think it was that newspaper cover story on you, went to your head!

There is that.  I have a reputation to live up to around here now!

2014-07-17 1:40 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I want to chime in here and thank everyone that commented on my track pacing issues, but especially Adrienne as she gave me my new mantra, save the overacheiving for race day      I repeated that several times today.

Last week was 4 x 800 and I struggled through as they all seemed "hard," mentally and physically.  I wasn't destroyed after each, but it definitely took a LOT of work.  I would look at the garmin at the start, add the 800 interval, and try to hit it.

Today was 5 x 800, same interval.  Heeding the advice given here, I actually turned off the mile auto lap function of the garmin and used it as a watch (imagine that).  I took responsiiblity for my own pacing, and figured out what my splits should be at the 100s, 200s, 400s, etc.  It was SO MUCH BETTER.  The 800s seemed easier.  It was less of a mental exercise, which made the physical part easier as well.  I learned a lot about myself and pacing (which most of it I already knew, so re-learning), and that I go out way too fast.   Knowing the splits allowed me to focus on my form rather than wondering where I was time wise.  My interval was 3:40, and I came in at 3:38, :39, :39, :37 and :40 (finally got the last one right). 

Good stuff, great pacing!

2014-07-17 3:16 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Fred - just read your race report - awesome race-day plan and execution! To think that just a couple of years ago you swore off both coaching and Power Meters!

Interesting to read you have pop tarts for race day breakfast - that is a new thing for me this year. I hardly eat much of anything out of a box like that, but my coach has actually suggested that I try eating more crap (i.e.: high glycemic "white" carbs) before the race - and I am a little embarrassed to say I like it! training and racing for shorter stuff this year I hardly worry about nutrition, but or longer course racing I would eat a gel every 30 minutes on both the bike and run, but no sport drink on the run. From your report it sounds like you are not worrying about getting the whole thing in, which is smart - you can really lose your focus while fiddle-farting around with nutrition. So if that is what you are doing then every 20 minutes or so make sense to me. I also find eating on a schedule helps break the race up into digestible (ha!) chunks - I have my bike computer beep at me every 30 minutes just to remind me.

2014-07-17 3:33 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Awesome Job, Chris - sounds like you worked the track exactly right this time around. I have found the track and the pool to be very similar - because of the precisely controlled environment you can ditch all the high-tech gear for a change and really only need a pace clock or basic watch. in both the pool and on the track I too work out my splits per 100 and just watch the clock: eventually you get really, really good at hitting your times spot-on.

I was on the track yesterday with a series of "comfortable fast" 200s and 100s: 6x200s in :38 and then 8x100s in :14 - after a good warm-up I was able to hit the targets perfectly. The funny thing though is after I do track work my coach will usually have me do a 400 or two at race-pace and I am always terrible at that after doing speed work. My first "race-pace" 400 was in 1:20, so I slowed it down a lot and the second one was 1:28. They should have been 1:36 or so. Heh. Ah, well.

The other really funny thing I always think about when on the track there running "fast" - Usain Bolt's world record 200 is twice as fast as I was running mine in. Just crazy.

2014-07-17 3:36 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ugh - scary stuff, James - at least you were at the doctor when you hit the floor. I agree with Fred - you guys need to take it easy. You just did a HIM for goodness sake!

2014-07-17 3:40 PM

Extreme Veteran

Probably normal.

I think it's safe for you to step in and call it an end to the thread.
2014-07-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

1:20/100?  Does a downriver swim count?    Nice swim.

James and Fred - great racing!  Jason, what, you can't fake a HIM to get in the lottery?    Salty - impressive, as ever.  Jeremy, my Better Half makes all our insurance payments on time (sometimes I think she makes them early, just in case)!  I'm very excited for you - that is a such a GREAT feeling!

In other news, I got a roll down slot to Sweden!  Not a big deal to most, but I'm psyched for a "reason" to drag the family there next year.  Triple Oly is gonna put a hurt on me, though.  Gotta get back at it in earnest!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Matt

Matt - that is VERY EXCITING news! Congratulations - no way I would pass up that opportunity. It will hurt, but I know you will be well prepared and ready for it. You will have ablest - long forward to following you along.

2014-07-17 4:25 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

My race report is up

Adrienne - really great perspective on your race! (Yeah, I am siting here in compression boots catching up on all my race report reading). It is indeed an honor and very humbling to have one of the top-ten fastest 10k runners in the US in our group! Now I know that might come across as a little joke of sorts, but I really mean it: It really is remarkable to have so many smart, hard-working, level-headed and FAST racers in this group. For me I find every member of this group to be very, very motivational. Knowing that you are all here often gives me the extra push I need when the going gets a little tough in training or on race day. So, a sincere THANK YOU ALL for that. After reading everyone's race reports from the past few weeks I really am genuinely humbled (and fortunate) to be part of this group.

2014-07-17 4:57 PM
in reply to: marcag

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

Probably normal.

I suspect a /end thread would work about as well here as it did over in TT.  

Marc, you've been really (really) quiet here all summer.  What are your race plans - anything other than 70.3 WC?  I know you did Syracuse 70.3 on what was apparently a brute of a course.

2014-07-17 5:04 PM

Probably normal.

Marc, you've been really (really) quiet here all summer.  What are your race plans - anything other than 70.3 WC?  I know you did Syracuse 70.3 on what was apparently a brute of a course.

I heard a rumour about a Canadian in Vegas......

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-17 5:04 PM
2014-07-17 5:12 PM

Extreme Veteran

Probably normal.

I have been dealing with problems that move from the hip to the adductors to the groin, to the hipflexors, back to the glutes....name a muscle in the hip area, it pops up there on a given day. It's mostly very very tight muscles, so I am trying to figure it out.

I did Syracuse in half shape. I did no real speed work this year so I am not in prime shape
I will do 70.3 WC and probably Silverman. Maybe on Oly. I will do FINA worlds.
2014-07-17 5:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
I heard a rumour about a Canadian in Vegas......

Ya. I registered. I am probably going to try to peak for that rather than WC. I would like to swim and bike well at WC and do all 3 well at Silverman.

2014-07-17 5:35 PM

Master
, California

Probably normal.

You can't end the thread before we talk about flip turns!

2014-07-17 5:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

Probably normal.

You can't end the thread before we talk about flip turns!

It's funny you say that.

At one point, the thread was poking fun at the French (my fault).

My father was a pretty good swimmer. He was the Junior French Champion at 18. He was an alternate on the 1952 Olympic team.
(For the record, I got my mother's genes)

His best friend was named Jean Boiteux and was the first Frenchman to win an Olympic gold in the 400m.
More famous than the swim, was the fact his father jumped in the pool to congratulate him. Big stink. They nearly DQ'd him.

This is the video
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/oly12-helsinki-olympics-swimming-...

At around 2:15 you see his father jumps in the pool

a) back in 1952 they didn't do flip turns. This surprised me
b) they had pretty strong kicks

Edited by marcag 2014-07-17 6:55 PM
2014-07-17 6:56 PM
in reply to: marcag

2014-07-17 7:06 PM

Extreme Veteran

I know injuries pretty well and I certainly understand racing half trained ala mont tremblant 70.3 last year. Are you doing massage for the tightness? Trigger point stuff?

I am working with a guy that does ART, so he fixes the seized up muscle, but not the the root cause.

I think, it's about more stretching and probably building up strength where there are some deficiencies (weak adductors and maybe glutes).

And recognizing I am not 20 anymore :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38737 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74220 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.