BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-02-29 12:25 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

So pulling the numbers from GC my 5 min. peak power from 2/9 is 234w and my 20 min. peak power from 2/13 is 199w. If I plug the numbers into the calculator I come up with a CP of 186 watts and a W' of 14kj. So how do I now analyze those numbers? Does it have something to do with the CP curve in GC?

A CP curve is simply a curve showing the power you could maintain for various duration so for example, just making things up

500w for 30s, 400w for 1min, 330w for 3min, 300w for 5min, 280w for 10min, 250w for 30min......240w for 1hr, 220w for 2hr.......

This curve gets populated/created by samples at various duration levels. In the simplest form, a short test (3-5min) and a long test (20-30min) is enough to create the curve. The more data points you have (30s, 1min, 10min, 60min...) the better, but 2 points is probably good enough

The power tapers off to CP for a "long duration of time"

If you sandbagged the 5' test your CP will be overstated and your W' will be understated.
The numbers as they are show that you can hold a higher % of VO2max at threshold than Mike can, but that's probably because you underestimated your VO2max. Power at 5min is a good proxy for VO2max for people without a crazy W'. Neither yours or Mike's are crazy. Jason N has a crazy one.

Your FTP would be 191.

You would probably benefit from doing some VO2max work early in the season and then some threshold work later. Then again a lot of people would benefit from that.

The problem with doing threshold work over and over is at one point you have to change the stimulus. Doing threshold work only will bring marginal improvements at one point.

2016-02-29 12:28 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Big chain ring. You are right I can find a gear in the small chain ring but then I seem to be cross chaining. Plus it's kind of a pain to shift between the big and small rings if I'm doing intervals that have small steps in them. Cycleops2 fluid. Unfortunately, there is only on tension setting. You turn the knob in until it reaches a certain resistance and then it clicks much like a torque wrench.
2016-02-29 12:31 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a question about gearing on the trainer. It seems when I'm trying to do "sweet spot" efforts on the trainer I get stuck in between gears. When I'm trying to hit around 165 to 170 watts I either have to spin at around 80 RPM in one gear or low 90's in the next gear. Of course my self selected cadence on the trainer seems to be right around 85 RPM. I'm not opposed to doing high/low cadence work, I would just like it to be on my terms not out of necessity. I have a 10 speed with 50/34 on the front. The rear cassette is a 11/27T. I do have a 12/25T that came with the bike that I could throw on there. Also not opposed to buying a different cassette just for the trainer. I have the tools to swap them out and am fairly comfortable making the derailleur adjustments. I did have to shorten the chain when I went from 52/38 and 12/25 to 50/34 and 11/27 so I'm not sure if that will become an issue.
Any thoughts?

A 10 speed 11/27 has an 11tooth at one end, 27 and the other and the 8 others are spread, so making this up, say
12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26

A 12/25 will have 12 at one end, 25 at the other and say
13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24

So that in between gear might be between 14 and 16. See how the first cassette doesn't have a 15 while the 2nd does ?

The perfect cassette for the trainer is the one that has the tighest set of cogs. Look at the gears you use the most and get a cassette with the tighest ranges that have what you need. An 11-23 is usually pretty good.

2016-02-29 2:50 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Interesting to see some of the discussion around testing and folks CP/FTP numbers.  Haven't tested for a while, but am feeling pretty good about where I am on the bike at the moment (swim/run need to catch up).  The other day had me doing the main set of 60' split into 20' intervals (took 1' in between to coast and let the PT recalibrate), started at what I believe to be about 80%, increased to 88%, and the final interval at 95%.  Certainly pushing me and these longer sessions are hopefully going to build some of the mental toughness that deserts me from time to time  - either in training or racing - along with upping that CP number.

2016-02-29 7:35 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by marcag

So pulling the numbers from GC my 5 min. peak power from 2/9 is 234w and my 20 min. peak power from 2/13 is 199w. If I plug the numbers into the calculator I come up with a CP of 186 watts and a W' of 14kj. So how do I now analyze those numbers? Does it have something to do with the CP curve in GC?

A CP curve is simply a curve showing the power you could maintain for various duration so for example, just making things up

500w for 30s, 400w for 1min, 330w for 3min, 300w for 5min, 280w for 10min, 250w for 30min......240w for 1hr, 220w for 2hr.......

This curve gets populated/created by samples at various duration levels. In the simplest form, a short test (3-5min) and a long test (20-30min) is enough to create the curve. The more data points you have (30s, 1min, 10min, 60min...) the better, but 2 points is probably good enough

The power tapers off to CP for a "long duration of time"

If you sandbagged the 5' test your CP will be overstated and your W' will be understated.
The numbers as they are show that you can hold a higher % of VO2max at threshold than Mike can, but that's probably because you underestimated your VO2max. Power at 5min is a good proxy for VO2max for people without a crazy W'. Neither yours or Mike's are crazy. Jason N has a crazy one.

Your FTP would be 191.

You would probably benefit from doing some VO2max work early in the season and then some threshold work later. Then again a lot of people would benefit from that.

The problem with doing threshold work over and over is at one point you have to change the stimulus. Doing threshold work only will bring marginal improvements at one point.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. The Olympic plan I'm following has a 6 week base phase that has 1 anaerobic workout and 2 sweet spot workout per week. The next 6 weeks has 2 Vo2max workouts and 1 threshold workout per week. Not sure exactly what the final 8 week specialty phase has but I'm sure it starts getting more race specific.
2016-02-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Getting back to my question from over the weekend.

My first race is a sprint on April 9. The rest of the early season is: Super sprint April 23; ??Gulf Coast HIM May 7 ?????; Sprint May 14; Sprint June 4.

Not sure after that.  It is a long season down here and I don't race much in July and August.

So far where I am heading into th first race is a mixed bag.

Swim C-....minimal motivation and substantially fewer yards thus far in 2016.

Bike A or A-....been biking a lot with some good intensity. Still need to see where I am with some race specific workouts.

Run B....until about 2 weeks ago it would have been an A.  The Winter of easy running was going well. Then I felt a knot in my left calf.  Doesn't really bother me when I run but it is there and sore after a run.  I am trying to take it easy this week and getting a massage therapist to work on it and it is better.  Trying to be smart and take it easy but "smart" is not my strong suit.  I dealt with this same issue last Summer and it was hard to resolve.  Hopefully, getting in front of it this year.  Frustrating given my more gentle approach to Winter running this year..  Whether I do the HIM in early May depends in large part on how the calf does over the next few weeks. 

2016-03-01 5:31 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Marc-I saw you had posted on ST questioning the number of qualifying slots the late season and 2017 70.3 races would have for 2017 70.3 WC in Chattanooga.  Looks like starting with Muncie it is 50 as compared to the races qualifying for 2016 where there are 30 slots.  Didn't look at all of the races but both Muncie and Augusta offer 50.

I would love to try and qualify for 2017 with a late season 70.3 this year.  But, I would have to earn a slot in 50-54 this year and next year II bump up to 55-59. 

2016-03-01 6:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow

Marc-I saw you had posted on ST questioning the number of qualifying slots the late season and 2017 70.3 races would have for 2017 70.3 WC in Chattanooga.  Looks like starting with Muncie it is 50 as compared to the races qualifying for 2016 where there are 30 slots.  Didn't look at all of the races but both Muncie and Augusta offer 50.

I would love to try and qualify for 2017 with a late season 70.3 this year.  But, I would have to earn a slot in 50-54 this year and next year II bump up to 55-59. 

Ya. I'm not so sure the allocation of slots will be the same as it's been in the past that's why I asked the question. I strongly suspect changes are coming.
2016-03-02 9:27 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by slornow

When is everyone's first triathlon of the season and are you pleased with where you are in preparation?  I now Nicole has already raced a 70.3 but for most of us we are still in the pre-season.

Not soon enough!!  My first tri, a sprint, is on June 11th and then a "long course" tri on June 26th.

I'll probably throw in a few 5K and 10K races before then just to see where my running is at. 

I was supposed to run a HM this weekend, but I missed two straight long run weekends and so didn't feel ready for it.

I'm pretty happy with the state of my bike and run, but swimming is basically starting from scratch after a long break from last season.

I was going to do some CP testing this week but caught a bit of a bug from my kids.  Feeling better today so I might do the 5 minute test tonight.

2016-03-02 9:34 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Marc, Jason, power Gurus (and everyone else),

I did a session on the trainer last night where I did 8 x 30 seconds at the maximum effort that I could sustain (essentially very close to 2 x FTP) for 30 seconds, each one on 4:30 of super easy spin recovery.

What is the physiologic goal of this workout? Any ideas? I could ask my coach, and probably will, but he is not always that forthcoming with reasons for specific sessions...... :-) He writes the plans and knows what his goals are but isn't so good at sharing sometimes....

Anyways. It felt very hard. I was busting my rear for those 30 second intervals but the long, easy recovery made it possible for me to keep it going. The last one was a real grunt and my power fell off a little bit for the last two.

I have always been of the theory that any activity is good training but sometimes I don't quite understand the goal of each of the different types of sessions. I am trying to become a more educated triathlete.
2016-03-02 11:26 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Marc, Jason, power Gurus (and everyone else),

I did a session on the trainer last night where I did 8 x 30 seconds at the maximum effort that I could sustain (essentially very close to 2 x FTP) for 30 seconds, each one on 4:30 of super easy spin recovery.

What is the physiologic goal of this workout? Any ideas? I could ask my coach, and probably will, but he is not always that forthcoming with reasons for specific sessions...... :-) He writes the plans and knows what his goals are but isn't so good at sharing sometimes....

Anyways. It felt very hard. I was busting my rear for those 30 second intervals but the long, easy recovery made it possible for me to keep it going. The last one was a real grunt and my power fell off a little bit for the last two.

I have always been of the theory that any activity is good training but sometimes I don't quite understand the goal of each of the different types of sessions. I am trying to become a more educated triathlete.

I would ask him, but my gut tells me he is testing you and trying to and anaerobic capacity. That or he is trying to develop your anaerobic capacity, which I would be surprised but interested by. He is a really smart coach.

2016-03-02 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Marc, I think you once said that improving anaerobic capacity may be at the expense of your aerobic capacity.  Is that right?

I certainly understand doing all out sprints on occasion (testing, breaking up monotony of longer intervals, etc.) or if you're road racing and need actual sprint capabilities.  But as a triathlete, I don't look forward to it and am grateful that I don't do them often (full disclosure: pretty sure I was born with no fast twitch muscles ).

2016-03-02 12:52 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Oakville

I just renewed my TriathlonLive subscription.  Anyone else sign up?

1st stop on the ITU circuit is Abu Dhabi this Saturday, but I see that the Brownlee brothers, Javier and Gwen are all not racing.

2016-03-02 12:56 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Marc, I think you once said that improving anaerobic capacity may be at the expense of your aerobic capacity.  Is that right?

I certainly understand doing all out sprints on occasion (testing, breaking up monotony of longer intervals, etc.) or if you're road racing and need actual sprint capabilities.  But as a triathlete, I don't look forward to it and am grateful that I don't do them often (full disclosure: pretty sure I was born with no fast twitch muscles ).

There are a few sources that I trust that have said this which is why I am curious if this is what Jason's coach is going after.
2016-03-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

There are a few sources that I trust that have said this which is why I am curious if this is what Jason's coach is going after.

I think there is some truth to what Marc is saying.  It's not nearly an all or nothing, or black/white statement though.  I think any type of hard efforts improves your overall fitness, but it's always better to do the bulk of your work on the specific thing you will be doing on race day.  For triathletes, you'll never have to sprint or ride for 90 seconds at 150-200% of FTP during a race.  So while you don't need to spend much time there, but I don't think you can dismiss it all together either.

Another theory is that if you want to raise your ceiling (your FTP), it helps if you also make room by raising your roof (VO2).  By incorporating some anaerobic work into your training, your top end will improve.  That helps you with your VO2 efforts in the 110% range, which then helps with your threshold 95-100% range.  

Of course focusing too much on anaerobic efforts limits the amount of time you can spend working on threshold...especially due to some higher recovery costs.  So it's a balance.  For triathletes...it will still be heavily weighted on the non anaerobic side.

Edited by Jason N 2016-03-02 1:46 PM
2016-03-02 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

I think there is some truth to what Marc is saying.  It's not nearly an all or nothing, or black/white statement though.  I think any type of hard efforts improves your overall fitness, but it's always better to do the bulk of your work on the specific thing you will be doing on race day.  For triathletes, you'll never have to sprint or ride for 90 seconds at 150-200% of FTP during a race.  So while you don't need to spend much time there, but I don't think you can dismiss it all together either.

Another theory is that if you want to raise your ceiling (your FTP), it helps if you also make room by raising your roof (VO2).  By incorporating some anaerobic work into your training, your top end will improve.  That helps you with your VO2 efforts in the 110% range, which then helps with your threshold 95-100% range.  

Of course focusing too much on anaerobic efforts limits the amount of time you can spend working on threshold...especially due to some higher recovery costs.  So it's a balance.  For triathletes...it will still be heavily weighted on the non anaerobic side.

One problem is terminology. For me efforts of > 120% of FTP are working your anaerobic capacity. Efforts at 110% are working VO2max.

There are studies that show that this sort of anaerobic capacity training will reduce your VO2max and move your lactate threshold curve to the left meaning you will hit threshold at a lower % power/pace.

Jason N is right, it depends on your race. Crit riders need a strong anaerobic capacity. So do swimmers under 200m. 1500m runners need a balance.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-02 2:02 PM

2016-03-02 3:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag There are studies that show that this sort of anaerobic capacity training will reduce your VO2max and move your lactate threshold curve to the left meaning you will hit threshold at a lower % power/pace.

Haven't heard of that before.  Anything you can link me to for further reading?  

Might have to stop crushing dreams during group rides and play lead out.    None of my races in the next 4 months require a sprint...mostly TTs or uphill road races until June/July.

Edited by Jason N 2016-03-02 3:01 PM
2016-03-02 3:31 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by marcag There are studies that show that this sort of anaerobic capacity training will reduce your VO2max and move your lactate threshold curve to the left meaning you will hit threshold at a lower % power/pace.

Haven't heard of that before.  Anything you can link me to for further reading?  

Might have to stop crushing dreams during group rides and play lead out.    None of my races in the next 4 months require a sprint...mostly TTs or uphill road races until June/July.

Here is one link
http://www.lactate.com/aerobic_anaerobic_animation.html
Some discussion on this in Olbrecht's book who is a very credible source

I have a PDF of a study of hockey players. this was the conclusion

"The results of this study showed that the induced changes in the training program made it more anaerobic in nature and led to a dissociation between aerobic and anaerobic capacity in ice-hockey players. Such a training intervention caused an increase of Pmax and Wtot with a parallel decrease in VO2max"

Some stuff from the running coaches like Lydiard and others.

You see it in a study on interval training I linked to in TT at one point
2016-03-02 3:58 PM

User image

Good stuff Marc.  Makes sense.

2016-03-02 7:49 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Thanks for all the replies.

The last thing I need is for my aerobic threshold to go down.... Of course, this isn't my everyday workout. It is just one of many workouts that I do in about a two week rotation. However, this one has shown up a few times over the last month. Apparently I have been slacking off, only holding mid 300s for the 30s intervals. My instructions last night were to not be a pansy and to try to hit 500 on each interval and hold high 400s. I was surprised that I could hit those numbers. Sometimes having someone tell you that you can, makes all of the difference. The other big difference: really, really taking the easy recovery, easy. No pedaling along at 170s to prove I am not a wimp. My recovery power was in the one teens to one twentys, which made the hard intervals immensely more doable.

I have an email out to my coach. Maybe I will have an answer to share.
2016-03-03 5:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The last thing I need is for my aerobic threshold to go down.... Of course, this isn't my everyday workout. It is just one of many workouts that I do in about a two week rotation. However, this one has shown up a few times over the last month. Apparently I have been slacking off, only holding mid 300s for the 30s intervals. My instructions last night were to not be a pansy and to try to hit 500 on each interval and hold high 400s. I was surprised that I could hit those numbers. Sometimes having someone tell you that you can, makes all of the difference. The other big difference: really, really taking the easy recovery, easy. No pedaling along at 170s to prove I am not a wimp. My recovery power was in the one teens to one twentys, which made the hard intervals immensely more doable.

It will be interesting to see his response.

The only one that speaks a lot about it is Olbrecht. He was/is a consultant to Luc Van Lierde Kona champs and who is Freddy Van Lierde's coach. He trains several national teams and knows his stuff. He NEVER says "do no anaerobic" work. It's always find the balance. It' doesn't sound like you have an overdevelopped anaerobic system and maybe he is trying to build some strength.

One thing I wouldn't do is second guess his motives. If it's who I think it is, he knows his stuff.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-03 5:15 AM

2016-03-03 9:31 AM

User image

Oakville

Did a 5 minute test last night and, overall, hit higher numbers than I was expecting. It was a soul-sucking experience and so I think I got it right

I was worried about completely blowing up and so I started out at what I thought was a conservative wattage, but (in hindsight) it was too low considering what power I managed to hold for the last 3.5 minutes or so.

The ride itself looks like a bit of a wedge as power slowly increased over the first 90 seconds and then started to level off.

I tried to push it for an extra minute to get more accurate results, but could only hold on for another 10 seconds.

When calculating CP, I think I'll go with the 4 minute power instead.

Not looking forward to the 20 minute test!

2016-03-03 9:55 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Hit the pool this a.m. for the 3rd time this week felt pretty good. Just need to get used to rolling out of bed at 5 a.m. again. 30x50 leaving on the 1:10. Pretty consistently around 56 seconds per 50 yards. Probably could have handled leaving on the 1:05 but it would have hurt.
2016-03-03 1:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster Thanks for all the replies. The last thing I need is for my aerobic threshold to go down.... Of course, this isn't my everyday workout. It is just one of many workouts that I do in about a two week rotation. However, this one has shown up a few times over the last month. Apparently I have been slacking off, only holding mid 300s for the 30s intervals. My instructions last night were to not be a pansy and to try to hit 500 on each interval and hold high 400s. I was surprised that I could hit those numbers. Sometimes having someone tell you that you can, makes all of the difference. The other big difference: really, really taking the easy recovery, easy. No pedaling along at 170s to prove I am not a wimp. My recovery power was in the one teens to one twentys, which made the hard intervals immensely more doable. I have an email out to my coach. Maybe I will have an answer to share.
It will be interesting to see his response. The only one that speaks a lot about it is Olbrecht. He was/is a consultant to Luc Van Lierde Kona champs and who is Freddy Van Lierde's coach. He trains several national teams and knows his stuff. He NEVER says "do no anaerobic" work. It's always find the balance. It' doesn't sound like you have an overdevelopped anaerobic system and maybe he is trying to build some strength. One thing I wouldn't do is second guess his motives. If it's who I think it is, he knows his stuff.

I was also wondering that with Jason's knee issues, if this was also a way to develop some strength where doing speedwork or strides while running may not be as appropriate.

2016-03-03 5:45 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

It will be interesting to see his response.

The only one that speaks a lot about it is Olbrecht. He was/is a consultant to Luc Van Lierde Kona champs and who is Freddy Van Lierde's coach. He trains several national teams and knows his stuff. He NEVER says "do no anaerobic" work. It's always find the balance. It' doesn't sound like you have an overdevelopped anaerobic system and maybe he is trying to build some strength.

One thing I wouldn't do is second guess his motives. If it's who I think it is, he knows his stuff.

My coach is Steve Johnson, AKA Darkhorse Triathlon. Yes, he seems to know what he is talking about. We have been "together" since 2011 with the exception of me taking the 2015 season off from coaching.

His response to my question:

With regard to the 30sec intervals; with your history, experience, years of aerobic conditioning, etc. one of the ways you're going to get faster is moving as fast as you're capable of going. You're not going to be able to hold that kind of pace/effort much more than 30secs...so the goal is literally for you to go as hard/fast as you're physically capable. You can expect a lot of very short, very hard intervals in an attempt to increase your bike power.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Steve and I have talked in the past about my lack of progress on the bike. I made a lot of improvement early in our relationship and then the last few years have been very stagnant as far as gains go. I think this may be his way of shaking things up a little bit. Nothing else we have done has worked so why not try this for a bit and see what happens......?

This morning I did 10 minutes warm up and then 4 x (4 minutes at FTP + 11 minutes at 75% of FTP). The first two went great but I struggled to hold the higher power during the third and fourth repeats.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57257 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.