Other Resources Challenge Me! » Team Mighty Moose Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 12

2008-04-03 10:09 PM
in reply to: #1302970

User image

Subject: RE: Team Mighty Moose
Got 100 in today for my first century of the year.  Unplanned to go that distance but thought I was locked out of the house until my fiance got home which would have been about 6 hours from when I started.  Last five miles were kinda tough but felt good when I was done.  Kept the HR low and steady as I only 700 calories of nutrition with me.  Have to go back to work on Monday so I'm glad to get a good head start on the biking portion of my challenge this week.

2008-04-03 10:33 PM
in reply to: #1314638

Great job on the century ride.
2008-04-04 3:08 AM
in reply to: #1314142

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-04 6:19 AM
in reply to: #1314638

Veteran
oweiss - 2008-04-03 10:09 PM

Got 100 in today for my first century of the year.  Unplanned to go that distance but thought I was locked out of the house until my fiance got home which would have been about 6 hours from when I started.  Last five miles were kinda tough but felt good when I was done.  Kept the HR low and steady as I only 700 calories of nutrition with me.  Have to go back to work on Monday so I'm glad to get a good head start on the biking portion of my challenge this week.

Great job !!!!
I am a little ways away from that point. I have a forty coming up in a few weeks.
2008-04-04 7:44 AM

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great job so far everyone! Got in a little swimming, biking and strength last night so off to a good start. Will be an off day today most likely and maybe even Saturday (unfortunately). My last challenge my team finished last and our board was quiet. Let's no let that happen again!
2008-04-04 8:50 AM

Veteran
Portland

Hi guys,

I am off to a spin class this morning and then for the weekend I've got the following on tap: long-ish run, long bike ride and maybe a swim too (getting in the pool is my biggest hurdle... so swimming it almost always a maybe :-) )

What's everyone else planning for the weekend?

And, I am on the verge of getting a heart-rate monitor- any suggestions- something basic, don't need too many extras, just the HR reading really. I run with the Nike+ for distance, speed , etc.

*Kerry 

2008-04-04 8:55 AM

Veteran
This is what I am planning. Friday lunch time run(weather permitting), hit the gym on the way home from work to do around 45 minutes on the bike. Saturday an outside ride if the rain stops. If it is raining then it is back to the gym. Sunday will be a 10 mile run.
2008-04-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1315202

Veteran
kerryleigh5 - 2008-04-04 8:50 AM

Hi guys,

I am off to a spin class this morning and then for the weekend I've got the following on tap: long-ish run, long bike ride and maybe a swim too (getting in the pool is my biggest hurdle... so swimming it almost always a maybe :-) )

And, I am on the verge of getting a heart-rate monitor- any suggestions- something basic, don't need too many extras, just the HR reading really. I run with the Nike+ for distance, speed , etc.

*Kerry 

How about a Polar Heart Rate Monitor. I use the Garmin 305 but you would not need all that with the Nike.
2008-04-04 10:09 AM

Master
Pacific Northwest

Great workouts everyone!  I reduced my goal for my swimming as my shoulder is still bugging me and I don't want to create a long-term problem for the sake of not letting the team down. So I put my goal at 200 minutes, and anything beyond that is awesome. The rest of me should hold together a little bit better!  That said, I am supposed to swim 58 minutes today, but am not sure I will make it that long before hitting the twinges.  We shall see.  I am going to ice it, take my ibuprofen, and I just started glucosamine/chrondointin yesterday......cross fingers.  And yes, I will probably go see a professional about it if it doesn't calm down.  It usually takes a week or so and it's back to normal.

Chr15--I do believe you are on another team....but if you'd like to swap over to the Most Awesome Mighty Moose......just say the word! 

For the weekend:  I am going with a friend on a 30-40 mile ride on Saturday (weather permitting) and then a medium run on Sunday.  I may get another small swim in, depending on how life frees me up.  I only have one kid until sometime on Sunday, so I like to take advantage of that time since the one I have at home LOVES the gym so it gets me there a lot!

2008-04-04 11:22 AM

2008-04-04 11:23 AM

2008-04-04 12:01 PM

Master
Lafayette, IN
Hey folks!  Happy friday.  I am counting down the hours until it's officially my weekend.  Dang second shift means my Friday work day isn't over until after midnight.  I managed to sneak in a short spin on the trainer today.  Weather is looking awesome for the weekend so I'm planning a bike ride and a run.  And I need to throw a swim in there somewhere too!
2008-04-04 12:06 PM

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Looks like we are getting on track for the month.  I got a run in this morning before work, and I plan to go home this evening and put my feet up and relax.  It's been a stressful few days at work, and I'm looking forward to the weekend.  I plan to ride 50 miles on both Saturday and Sunday -- trying to prepare for a century ride at the end of the month.  Tomorrow isn't looking too promising, though.  The weather guesser is calling for thunderstorms. 

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend, and here's to meeting our goals!

2008-04-04 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1315697

Master
Pacific Northwest

CHR15 TREE - 2008-04-04 9:22 AM I could swap... or I could just pretend to be you!!!

I am totally laughing at your new avatar, Chris!!!!  OMG!  You can be me as long as the log reflects YOUR bike miles!!!

2008-04-04 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1315202

kerryleigh5 - 2008-04-04 6:50 AM

Hi guys,

*Kerry

I'd recommend getting a HR that can do laps and avg HR.  The last HR monitor I bought was from http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/all-monitors.htmland I'd recommend them.  Good comparisons of all the HR monitors out there and their specials are great.

For the weekend, I have a 3mi recovery jog and a hockey game tonight.  Planning on 50 miles tomorrow on the bike and a hopefully gym visit to do some weights/swim, and Sunday will be a rest day.

2008-04-04 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1315697

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

CHR15 TREE - 2008-04-04 12:22 PM I could swap... or I could just pretend to be you!!!

So are you stealing a different Peep avatar every day?  It always throws me off! 

2008-04-04 8:24 PM

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Well team, a lost day/night for me. Ended up at Happy Hour after work at Chickie and Pete's. For those of you from the Philly area that's not a good thing for training. Many, many, many beers, crab fries, assorted buffalo tasty treats and I'm ready to be rolled on up to bed! Try and take a 5 to 10 mile run tomorrow as punishment if the weather permits.
2008-04-04 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1317157

Master
Pacific Northwest

colesdad - 2008-04-04 6:24 PM Well team, a lost day/night for me. Ended up at Happy Hour after work at Chickie and Pete's. For those of you from the Philly area that's not a good thing for training. Many, many, many beers, crab fries, assorted buffalo tasty treats and I'm ready to be rolled on up to bed! Try and take a 5 to 10 mile run tomorrow as punishment if the weather permits.

You get extra points for managing to log on to BT after going out!  I didn't swim today, as my shoulder is still hurting me...so I am having mongolian grill right now.  Mmmm.  Long ride tomorrow!

2008-04-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1317178

2008-04-05 4:58 PM

Added another 57miles on the bike today.  Killed a squirrel and saw a rattlesnake on the bike trail today.  Got started late so I can make it to the gym today to get my swim in. Have some errands to run before the monthly poker game with the guys.  Have a great weekend!
2008-04-05 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1317924

Master
Pacific Northwest

oweiss - 2008-04-05 2:58 PM Added another 57miles on the bike today.  Killed a squirrel and saw a rattlesnake on the bike trail today.  Got started late so I can make it to the gym today to get my swim in. Have some errands to run before the monthly poker game with the guys.  Have a great weekend!

Nice ride!!  Was the squirrel killing an accident or do you have it in for small furry animals?  I saw a dead squirrel on my ride, no snakes, though. Today I had my first flat while out riding. I knew it was bound to happen, and just 15 minutes in to the ride.  My two girlfriends and I were working on it, when a nice biker fella stopped to help us....damsels in distress!  He actually gave us some lessons and we all worked together and got it changed.  I know I really need to practice that some more tire changing before race season gets here.  That's twice that it's been the rear tire, and I still am baffled at how to put it back on!  I was lucky in all my years of mountain biking to never, ever have a flat!!!  I think he was trying to hit on me too, as he rode with us for a long way and was telling me that I had a great smile....yes, the unshowered, non-makeupped, no-sleep lady.  I will take that compliment any day, who cares what the motivation is!!   

The ride was awesome!  The weather was around 40 degrees which was great, no wind.  We rode from University Village north of the University of Washington, down Lake WA Blvd to I-90, across the floating bridge (scary!!) and around Mercer Island and then back.  Over 2 hours to do 31 miles, with tons of hills. I felt really good and much stronger than my last long Saturday ride.  I think the midweek rides are helping significantly. Plus I made sure to watch my nutrition and liquids this time.  Tomorrow I will run and swim, as the shoulder feels better today.  I just got back from 2 hours of a party at a bouncy house with the 2 year old, and that wore me out more than the bike ride!!!

2008-04-05 7:22 PM

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hi Peeps! I'm sorry I haven't checked in much or given a synopsis of who I am. So here: Sarah, mid 40's, started this tri stuff 2 years ago.. 2 super sprints, 3 sprints, one 4 miler. I used to be 20 lbs heavier, heavy smoker, heavy drinker,and closet outside enthusiast. Started biking years ago, leisurely. Love skiing and horseback riding although can' afford anymore. Anyhow, married, one kid - 5 year old boy-- yeah, started late in life with marriage, family and healthful living I guess. Hadn't swam since a kid - whew! that first 25 yards was humbling! And running was never anythng I could do with ease let alone speed.

But I love it! Have a sprint planned and an Oly and maybe a 5 k, etc.. When I feel tired or that I can't go on, I htink of my son and his energy or my dad who has cancer.

I work part time in admin. assistant temp work now after having left a corporate job a couple of years ago. I also work at the Y and will start teaching (yikes!) spin in 2 weeks.

I need to push myself for more distance/endurance so this challenge will get me on track.

Do we fill out our times ourselves or what?!?

Hey, you guys all have some awesome avatars !

2008-04-05 9:06 PM

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
I'm still on vacation, but I did manage to squeeze in a 5 mile run on Friday.

I'm a little jealous of all these outdoor bike rides that everyone is doing. Nice century ride oweiss! We're getting a snow storm tonight with another 6 to 10 inches of snow. It looks like the bike will need to stay on the trainer for a little while longer.

Scot
2008-04-06 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1317973

Nice ride!! Was the squirrel killing an accident or do you have it in for small furry animals? I saw a dead squirrel on my ride, no snakes, though.

I'm pretty lucky to live near a 35 mile bike trail along the American River in Sacramento, CA.  Since it is greenbelt along the entire route there is typically a lot of wildlife along my rides to look at including deer, wild turkeys, your occasional predatory cat, snakes and hundreds of squirrels.  The squirrels like to hangout on the trail and look at cyclists and play a game of chicken by darting off at the last second.  I have witnessed several biking accidents caused by people swerving to miss a squirrel just to take out another cyclist or a pack of cyclists (kinda of like that Geico commercial, where the squirrel laughs along with another squirrel when the car drives off the road).  So I make it a point to hold a line and let Darwin sort out the squirrels fate.

2008-04-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1318718

Master
Pacific Northwest
oweiss - 2008-04-06 8:41 AM

I'm pretty lucky to live near a 35 mile bike trail along the American River in Sacramento, CA.  Since it is greenbelt along the entire route there is typically a lot of wildlife along my rides to look at including deer, wild turkeys, your occasional predatory cat, snakes and hundreds of squirrels.  The squirrels like to hangout on the trail and look at cyclists and play a game of chicken by darting off at the last second.  I have witnessed several biking accidents caused by people swerving to miss a squirrel just to take out another cyclist or a pack of cyclists (kinda of like that Geico commercial, where the squirrel laughs along with another squirrel when the car drives off the road).  So I make it a point to hold a line and let Darwin sort out the squirrels fate.

Sac is a great place to ride, my dad lived there for ten years until this past summer, so I was there a lot.   Sounds like the squirrels had better watch out!!

I ran 4 miles this morning, and am hoping to get in the pool later on today.

What are the other moose up to?? Don't forget to log it all on the spreadsheet!

Edited by Medusa_Ann 2008-04-06 12:07 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Team Mighty Moose Rss Feed  

of 12