General Discussion Triathlon Talk » re JeepFleeb's not so much volume comment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-05-21 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1416416

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: re JeepFleeb's not so much volume comment

kellc09 - 2008-05-21 1:31 PM

Also, I would think that if you have done a IM before, or have done a few marathons/etc., it would be a little more easy to streamline your workouts. Cut down on some time, and up the intensity. for those who have never done a lot of long distance training and training for their first marathon or IM, dont they still need to get a certain endurance base?

Intensity and endurance are not mutually exclusive.  For example, intensity does not have to mean short track repeats but could mean long LT-type intervals.

2008-05-21 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1416435

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
JohnnyKay - 2008-05-21 12:36 PM

kellc09 - 2008-05-21 1:31 PM

Also, I would think that if you have done a IM before, or have done a few marathons/etc., it would be a little more easy to streamline your workouts. Cut down on some time, and up the intensity. for those who have never done a lot of long distance training and training for their first marathon or IM, dont they still need to get a certain endurance base?

Intensity and endurance are not mutually exclusive.  For example, intensity does not have to mean short track repeats but could mean long LT-type intervals.

Right... sorry, intensity wasnt the right word.. I agree on LT type intervals, and tempo. Alot of people seem to shy away from doing that even for a newer athlete and advocate just putting time in. I can see where so many people get really confused!
2008-05-21 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1416464

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

kellc09 - 2008-05-21 1:45 PM 

Right... sorry, intensity wasnt the right word.. I agree on LT type intervals, and tempo. Alot of people seem to shy away from doing that even for a newer athlete and advocate just putting time in. I can see where so many people get really confused!

The problem is that training is really simple.  But talking about it can be highly complicated. 

Edited by JohnnyKay 2008-05-21 12:54 PM
2008-05-21 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1416493

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
JohnnyKay - 2008-05-21 12:53 PM

kellc09 - 2008-05-21 1:45 PM 

The problem is that training is really simple.  But talking about it can be highly complicated. 

clearly. haha
2008-05-21 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1415256

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I think Aaron has some good points but I am confused. Most people yelled at me a couple of weeks ago and told me I should bike like 100 miles every weekend and now I shouldn't? So confused.

First off I will say that start my last 8 week I was 270 and now down to 260. Last year I stayed around 300 lbs for most of the year. I wanted to preface that before I will share some results.

April 5th I ran my 3rd 50k. I finished 7:30 which was 1 hour faster than my pr.
3 weeks later I ran boston 5:44 which was a pr. 2 weeks later I ran 5:26 at the flying pig and pred on the first half also. First half was mostly up hill. 2 weeks latter I had my 3rd fastest marathon of my life at 5:46 and I was sick to my stomach from miles 6 - 26 because my dehydration due to sickness. If I was feeling so horrible I think I would have PRed again.

In training the longest run I did was 5 miles at one time. I ran about 2.5 - 3 miles during lunch and 4 more miles in the evenings 4 days a week. I mixed in about 6 hours of swim work in there also. I took a week off from training for boston and that is about it.

I think cardio wise my body responded well to the constantly 1.5 - 2.5 hour loads each day but I could keep the the intesity. So either my fitness went way up with the constant daily grind or the weight lose is alot bigger than I expected.
2008-05-21 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1416345

User image

Champion
MA
JeepFleeb - 2008-05-21 1:11 PM

KathyG - 2008-05-21 11:43 AM
Currently a 2 hour run is comfortable for me but a 3.5 hour run is challenging as my body gets tired and sore. Aerobically I feel fine it is a durabilty/resilancy issue. How can I expect to do a 90-120 minute run as my longest runs and then go run 5.5 hours at an IM? I don't figure how that works for folks.

How did you expect to run 3.5 hours for the first time when you had never run 3.5 hours before?  You sucked it up and kept running.  But does that 3.5 hour run make you stronger than a 2 hour run and a 1.5 hour run?  I think the 3.5 hour run is riskier.  By the end you're tired, you're mentally drained, you're not paying attention to your form and more likely to get injured.

I like the idea of running shorter, more frequently, and not needing as much recovery time after each run.  Same volume but higher quality.

You're fitness is more than your longest workout. 

I hear what you are saying...it wasn't as if I went from 2 hour runs to 3.5 hour run. I've been building up slowly..I go up 2 miles for each long run after doing that distance twice...so I did 14 twice, 16 twice, just finished my second 18-19 mile run.

My coach given my injury history prefers me not run back to back days. I have asked him about doing two runs the same day instead of one long one and he doesn't think that is the best route for me.

So far my gradual build up this year has worked and this week I will run more than I ever have and I should have my first 100 mile running month. I know for many of you that isn't much.

In the end we each need to choose our own path for training from picking a plan or hiring a coach and trusting their advice and plan for us. I've worked with my coach this is my fourth season and he knows from the past seasons what works and doesn't work for me. He has been coaching full time 10+ years and I trust him.

2008-05-21 6:54 PM

User image

best thread ever,all my questions have been debated in it.
thanks guys.
2008-05-21 7:42 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

This is a really good thread. All I am going to add is that in my experience coaching IM athletes (and I have coached from beginner to professional and everywhere in between) the only thing you can say as a definite is that everyone is definitely different. What works for one may or may not work for another, there are as many ways to train as there are athletes.

Ultimately you have to figure out how much of a training load an athlete can handle, how quickly they recover and prescribe training to maximize both all while keeping the athlete healthy and motivated.

2008-05-21 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1417611

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

chirunner134 - 2008-05-21 5:53 PM I think Aaron has some good points but I am confused. Most people yelled at me a couple of weeks ago and told me I should bike like 100 miles every weekend and now I shouldn't? So confused. .

You shouldn't compare what YOU should be doing vs what JeepF should be doing because your needs are most likely a world apart. For JF he is trying to KQ, he has done a few IM, physiology most likely is different and the specific load he can handle is also different. YOU on the other hand are training for your FIRST IM, I believe you are off ideal weight; you have little cycling adaptations, etc, etc, etc. If you haven't notice YOU shouldn't worry what JF or BryanD or Rick or JK or any of the faster guys in the site are doing for their IM. That's why I posted before that is just absurd to make general statements because as you expressed above, it tend to confuse athletes.

I won’t try to explain JF original post on his blog because only he knows what he meant when he wrote those points, however if there is something BTers should take away from this tread is that each athlete should train based on his specific needs and plan his load based on that. The greater load you can handle the better but in the end if you don’t train consistently it doesn’t matter how good your plan is because you won’t get to proper develop your fitness. And the lack of results most likely will make you second guess you plan and jump from one approach to another…

2008-05-22 7:12 AM
in reply to: #1417611

User image

Champion
Alabama

chirunner134 - 2008-05-21 5:53 PM I think Aaron has some good points but I am confused. Most people yelled at me a couple of weeks ago and told me I should bike like 100 miles every weekend and now I shouldn't? So confused. First off I will say that start my last 8 week I was 270 and now down to 260. Last year I stayed around 300 lbs for most of the year. I wanted to preface that before I will share some results. April 5th I ran my 3rd 50k. I finished 7:30 which was 1 hour faster than my pr. 3 weeks later I ran boston 5:44 which was a pr. 2 weeks later I ran 5:26 at the flying pig and pred on the first half also. First half was mostly up hill. 2 weeks latter I had my 3rd fastest marathon of my life at 5:46 and I was sick to my stomach from miles 6 - 26 because my dehydration due to sickness. If I was feeling so horrible I think I would have PRed again. In training the longest run I did was 5 miles at one time. I ran about 2.5 - 3 miles during lunch and 4 more miles in the evenings 4 days a week. I mixed in about 6 hours of swim work in there also. I took a week off from training for boston and that is about it. I think cardio wise my body responded well to the constantly 1.5 - 2.5 hour loads each day but I could keep the the intesity. So either my fitness went way up with the constant daily grind or the weight lose is alot bigger than I expected.

I think amiine summed it up weel!  People are vastly differernt....but you and I are not as different as say you and Karen @ 124 lbs.  I'm one of the few people here that has finished an IM at 250+ lbs and, like we say in my profession, 'one test is worth a thousand expert opinons'. 

Your in great running shape but as I've written before, the IM challange is about the bike.  The swim is warm-up and the difference in running 26 miles and walking 26 miles changes our (big guys like us) finish time by only about an hour or so.   Biking 112 miles - especially on hills - is tough and sitting on a bike for 7 hours is not something you can prepare for with 3 hrs on the trainer!  Weird things happen after 6....7....8  hours of sitting on a bike seat and peddling.

The first time I biked 75 my legs locked up.  I mean totally locked and I actually had to fall over in the grass to get them to bend.  But by the end of the training season, I biked 120 miles and never cramped up.  I had conditioned my body to go long.  Had I never pushed to go 75+ miles, I would have cramped on the IM course and probably DNF'd.  I'm biking 80+ miles every weekend this year and have yet to get any cramps. 

So while I won't question the experts like Jeeps on IM training in general I do question the applicabilty to us full-figured gals.  Go long man.  Run as far as you can and bike as long as you can.  Push and find your body's limits and then the next week, push the envelop further and go longer.  And do it again the next week...and the next....and the next...

~Mike

2008-05-22 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Biking 112 miles - especially on hills - is tough and sitting on a bike for 7 hours is not something you can prepare for with 3 hrs on the trainer! Weird things happen after 6....7....8 hours of sitting on a bike seat and peddling.

WOW! Isn't that the truth? Same goes for swimming... and running. Things are different as you start going longer.

I know for me, the longer I swim continuously, the more my lower back hurts. The longer I run, the more places that chafe. The longer I ride, the more that hurts.

Just going from 5.5 hours to 6 hours on the bike affected my body differently. It just more sore afterwards, that's for sure.

I know I'll be on the IM course for at least 6 hours... and close to 7. I'll be on that bike for that long. And things are different when you are on a bike that long.

Chi... we have all given you advice. You can take it, you can leave it. You do what Jeep said in his blog and ride short. See how it works out on race day. It's your race man... it's your gamble.

I know for me, I'm not gambling the cost of a coach, IM registration, a plane ticket, bike shipping, a new tri outfit, hotel room for a week, etc... on riding short on the weekends. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that I cross that finish line. I am going to do what my coach tells me. If he says ride 5 hours. That's what I'm doing.

2008-05-22 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1418663

User image

Champion
Alabama

KSH - 2008-05-22 8:32 AM I know for me, I'm not gambling the cost of a coach, IM registration, a plane ticket, bike shipping, a new tri outfit, hotel room for a week, etc... on riding short on the weekends. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that I cross that finish line. I am going to do what my coach tells me. If he says ride 5 hours. That's what I'm doing.

Good for you Karen!

~Mike

2008-05-22 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Thank you all for an awesome discussion.  I now understand much better what JeepFleeb was saying, and also the variations upon that theme. 

One of the things I really like about the folks here at BT is that we can have a discussion wherein we have some disagreement, and all learn from each other. 

Thank you coaches, and also thank you guys who are just ahead of me on the learning curve.  What I take away from this discussion is that:
1) recovery is crucial - cannot make gains without proper recovery.  This is something that I've been struggling with in my current plan - not enough recovery.
2) Volume can be taken in a single day, or in multiple days.  I think what JF is saying is that it's easier and more efficient to recover from multiple (shorter) workouts than from a single long one, and the benefits are greater because you are fresher in each session.
3) Less experienced/conditioned/fit athletes need some long long sessions and training for them is advantageous - apply JF's thinking to this and you would say, yes but not every day.

The plan I'm on for my 1/2 IM is built around the multiple day theory.  this week is Run 30, Run 45, Run 2 hrs on successive days.  For a novice like me it is more difficult to see the progress in this plan as compared to increasing the long run on a weekly basis.  It's also trickier to add an ad-hoc bike ride, run or swim.  But thanks to this discussion I have a much better understanding now.

Once again, awesome thread! Thank you all for sharining your knowledge and experience.

2008-05-22 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1418684

User image

Champion
MA
Rogillio - 2008-05-22 9:37 AM

KSH - 2008-05-22 8:32 AM I know for me, I'm not gambling the cost of a coach, IM registration, a plane ticket, bike shipping, a new tri outfit, hotel room for a week, etc... on riding short on the weekends. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that I cross that finish line. I am going to do what my coach tells me. If he says ride 5 hours. That's what I'm doing.

Good for you Karen!

~Mike

I agree Karen, I'm trusting my coach to get me ready..he knows how I respond to training, he knows me pretty well over these last 4 years...I do what he tells me as I know he is in the best position to guide my training. I pay him to help me I should trust him.

2008-05-22 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
When it comes to Ironman, I think you train the race. As the entire event is done at an aerobic intenisty level with a prolonged duration, the most benefitial training will have you working towards those durations at the planned race intensity. That's not to say you run a few 26.2's in preperation, but you can swim the distance and ride the distance a few times and you should and at an intensity level close to what you are planning for the race. In order to do this safely, I think you do need volume and not volume split up between days to make an aggregate.

Ironman training is training while in relative states of fatigue. Fatigue is cummulative and builds during the week and culminates in long weekend sessions that are very challenging, which is the point. Rest and recovery should take the form of a day off per week and a lighter week every few weeks. I can say for a FOP'er or someone who wants to KQ, I think both volume AND intensity need to be at a very high level, so in that respect I don't agree with the coaches assesment.
2008-05-22 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1419035

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Ironman training is training while in relative states of fatigue.

Isn't all training like this?  (There's nothing 'special' about IM training.)

Fatigue is cummulative and builds during the week and culminates in long weekend sessions that are very challenging, which is the point. Rest and recovery should take the form of a day off per week and a lighter week every few weeks.

Maybe.  Or maybe it should just come through balancing individual sessions through the week.  There's no single recipe for fatigue & recovery.  For AGers, it's the "rest of life" that probably determines how best to arrange this. 

2008-05-22 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Yeah I understand. I start to notice things after about 20 hours of running. I will feel pretty sick then usually.

I am no longer concerned except baring injury that I will finish a marathon. Now I am not sure how I will feel when I get off the bike but the stand alone I feel good.

I do agree that knowing you can do the distance is a huge boast and something Aarron has. I know I can finish the swim and the run and confident I can do them both on the same day. Now I just need the bike confidence.

Besides I could use the over training. Side effect of it is rapid weightlose and being a Cylesdale myself I could use of that.
2008-05-22 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1419324

User image

Champion
Alabama

chirunner134 - 2008-05-22 12:08 PM Yeah I understand. I start to notice things after about 20 hours of running. I will feel pretty sick then usually. I am no longer concerned except baring injury that I will finish a marathon. Now I am not sure how I will feel when I get off the bike but the stand alone I feel good. I do agree that knowing you can do the distance is a huge boast and something Aarron has. I know I can finish the swim and the run and confident I can do them both on the same day. Now I just need the bike confidence. Besides I could use the over training. Side effect of it is rapid weightlose and being a Cylesdale myself I could use of that.

Is that a Freudian typo?  :-)

~Mike

2008-05-22 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1419382

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Rogillio - 2008-05-22 12:23 PM

Is that a Freudian typo?  :-)

~Mike

you just don't speak Chi,, that's all  

2008-05-22 6:55 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I went back and re-read Aaron's blog entry on this. I agree with what his coach perscribed in general except this paragraph:

"There's no reason you should need to bike more than 4 hours or run more than 90 minutes. There might be occasions, but in general that's what you need, and not as a brick. The marginal benefits are so slim after that that it's wasted time for most people. Going longer isn't really over-training, amateurs just don't have the time/determination to over-train, but instead they're under-recovering by forcing these extremely long workouts."

It makes too many assumptions. In regards to Aaron's training, the only example of his coaches training protocol I have, for a FOP'er like Aaron he prescribes decent volume, but I think he allows for too little intensity during the big volume. To be FOP, you need some intensity DURING volume. I made this case in my bike intensity thread a while back and I think the same applies here. For a MOP or BOP, I think they do need to ride for 6-7 hours if that's how long the event will take. There are many benefits to be derived from that, both physically and mentally. That assumes that the volume is handled and timed properly AND with the required recovery.
2008-05-23 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1420315

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

bryancd - 2008-05-22 7:55 PM I went back and re-read Aaron's blog entry on this. I agree with what his coach perscribed in general except this paragraph:

"There's no reason you should need to bike more than 4 hours or run more than 90 minutes. There might be occasions, but in general that's what you need, and not as a brick. The marginal benefits are so slim after that that it's wasted time for most people. Going longer isn't really over-training, amateurs just don't have the time/determination to over-train, but instead they're under-recovering by forcing these extremely long workouts."

It makes too many assumptions. In regards to Aaron's training, the only example of his coaches training protocol I have, for a FOP'er like Aaron he prescribes decent volume, but I think he allows for too little intensity during the big volume. To be FOP, you need some intensity DURING volume. I made this case in my bike intensity thread a while back and I think the same applies here. For a MOP or BOP, I think they do need to ride for 6-7 hours if that's how long the event will take. There are many benefits to be derived from that, both physically and mentally. That assumes that the volume is handled and timed properly AND with the required recovery.

The paragraph you quoted does say "there might be occassions" and "in general" and "for most people".  That is, it's not intended to be gospel for 100% of the people, 100% of the time.

I agree that most will benefit from a long ride, but they really only need to do 6-7 hours once or twice to work on pacing, nutrition, staying aero for long duration, etc.

2008-05-23 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1421147

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
JohnnyKay - 2008-05-23 9:28 AM

The paragraph you quoted does say "there might be occassions" and "in general" and "for most people".  That is, it's not intended to be gospel for 100% of the people, 100% of the time.

I agree that most will benefit from a long ride, but they really only need to do 6-7 hours once or twice to work on pacing, nutrition, staying aero for long duration, etc.

I think Bryan is making reference more for those going after a KQ. IMO in general those wanting to get to Kona will benefit from more than a few longer intense rides (high zone 2 with bouts of tempo/Z3 or even some FTP riding). IOW these guys will do more of this specific prep rides than the avg AG and definitely more than the beginner. Also, while doing many 20 miles might not be necessary, still the fast dudes prob should log several 1:30-2 hrs long endurance intense runs.

I personally can’t see many guys could KQ with just a few long/intense swims, rides and runs.

2008-05-23 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1421775

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
amiine - 2008-05-23 12:37 PM

I personally can’t see many guys could KQ with just a few long/intense swims, rides and runs.

That definitely isn't my plan of attack

2008-05-23 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
amiine - 2008-05-23 12:37 PM

JohnnyKay - 2008-05-23 9:28 AM

I think Bryan is making reference more for those going after a KQ. IMO in general those wanting to get to Kona will benefit from more than a few longer intense rides (high zone 2 with bouts of tempo/Z3 or even some FTP riding). IOW these guys will do more of this specific prep rides than the avg AG and definitely more than the beginner. Also, while doing many 20 miles might not be necessary, still the fast dudes prob should log several 1:30-2 hrs long endurance intense runs.

Yes, I only meant to apply that to IM athletes who were looking to finish at the very top of their respective AG, not for a MOP or someone who is looking to finish. They can get away with doing a lot less, although going long on the bike once is a very good idea.

Edited by bryancd 2008-05-23 12:58 PM
2008-05-23 12:49 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

amiine - 2008-05-23 1:37 PM

I'm generally with you Jorge.  But Bryan was talking about BOP and MOP with the 6-7 hour ride.  I think those athletes should do that as well.  They just don't need to do it very often (if their plan is well-designed anyway).  If recovery from such a session is a big issue, then more 'intermediate' duration rides may be the better choice to optimize the balance between training stress and recover.  It's all dependent upon the athlete and the sum of all their constraints  (which I know you already know ).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » re JeepFleeb's not so much volume comment Rss Feed  

of 4