General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-09-05 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4279107

User image

Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
Lou - based on the B2B FAQ, it looks like the full is mass start and the half is a wave start.  I guess it doesn't really matter b/c even if they split my AG the start with 70 people is still going to be chaotic.  If I had a vote I think I'd say, all off at once!

2012-09-05 7:50 PM

User image

Double post.... Deleted. 

Edited by Ubear97 2012-09-05 7:51 PM
2012-09-05 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4397494

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Ubear97 - 2012-09-05 8:50 PM Lou - based on the B2B FAQ, it looks like the full is mass start and the half is a wave start.  I guess it doesn't really matter b/c even if they split my AG the start with 70 people is still going to be chaotic.  If I had a vote I think I'd say, all off at once!

yep HIM is wave start. I have never seen them split an AG. Start is not to bad because there is plenty of room to head straight down the cahnnel.

2012-09-05 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4396458

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast
bdesotell - 2012-09-05 1:33 PM
JoeK - 2012-08-28 9:06 PM

Jillian,

I agree with everyone that a full suit should keep you warm enough, however, last year I did wear booties and was thankful since it is a pretty good distance from the swim exit to T1 and the booties helped running on the pavement.  I am not a barefoot runner type......

JK

Silly, yet honest, question here:  What are these booties that you wear on the swim with a wetsuit?

The Name on them are "wave rebel" I picked them up for about $10 at a local beach shop.  I think they are for body boarders that wear fins.  Essentially they slip over your foot and leave your heel exposed.  I bought them for my wife when she races however I have found they are useful on races with sandy/rocky beaches or long runs to the transitions.  We both love them.

JK

2012-09-06 8:02 AM

User image

SE North Carolina
Is this what your talking about?

(fins.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fins.jpg (11KB - 8 downloads)
2012-09-06 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4397900

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

That'd be them..........Laughing

JK

2012-09-07 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4367833

User image

There are tons of good places to get food in Wilmington. For healthy stuff check out Epic or Lovey's, both off Military Cutoff Road. Breakfast at the beach go to Causeway Cafe (but be prepared to wait), or head to Cafe Del Mar on Lumina (also at the beach). They make great smoothies.

Head to Lighthouse (at beach) or Cape Fear Beer and Wine (downtown) for beer. Cape Fear Seafood in Monkey Junction has the best seafood in town (or try to get into Catch off Market Street- a bit pricey, but incredible).

Or just Yelp it. Reviews there are very accurate.

Nancy

Training for Beach to Battleship Half, living the dream in Wilmington

2012-09-11 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran

So, logistically speaking, how does this point-to-point thing work?  Specifically, I have never done a point-to-point. In the races that I have done, I show up early on race morning, chit-chat, double check the bike in T1, etc.,, then eventually put the wetsuit on and head down to the water. 

Same idea for this race?  Go to T1 on race morning, make any last minute preparations, get wetsuit on and then board a bus to the swim start?  If so, where do you leave your belongings that you don't want in T1?

Also, is this why some folks have said to wear a throw-away pair of flip-flops to the swim start?...assuming that whatever you have at the swim start you'll never see again??

Thanks and sorry if this has been addressed already.

2012-09-11 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4405475

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
bdesotell - 2012-09-11 11:05 AM

So, logistically speaking, how does this point-to-point thing work?  Specifically, I have never done a point-to-point. In the races that I have done, I show up early on race morning, chit-chat, double check the bike in T1, etc.,, then eventually put the wetsuit on and head down to the water. 

Same idea for this race?  Go to T1 on race morning, make any last minute preparations, get wetsuit on and then board a bus to the swim start?  If so, where do you leave your belongings that you don't want in T1?

Also, is this why some folks have said to wear a throw-away pair of flip-flops to the swim start?...assuming that whatever you have at the swim start you'll never see again??

Thanks and sorry if this has been addressed already.

This is VERY different to the regular "show up on race day and rack your bike" tri. You HAVE to rack it the night before, which is both good and bad. You get a bunch of bags that are labeled T1, T2, special needs, etc. and you put your stuff in those. They will be hanging on a hook by race number in the appropriate spots so you just grab them as you enter T1 or T2. If it sounds complicated, don't worry- Setup has done this a bunch and it goes very well. But yeah, the swim start flip flops are going to be put in the trash. You get your other stuff back (wetsuit, etc.) that you leave in the transition areas.

2012-09-11 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4405668

User image

Veteran
louiskie - 2012-09-11 12:17 PM

This is VERY different to the regular "show up on race day and rack your bike" tri. You HAVE to rack it the night before, which is both good and bad. You get a bunch of bags that are labeled T1, T2, special needs, etc. and you put your stuff in those. They will be hanging on a hook by race number in the appropriate spots so you just grab them as you enter T1 or T2. If it sounds complicated, don't worry- Setup has done this a bunch and it goes very well. But yeah, the swim start flip flops are going to be put in the trash. You get your other stuff back (wetsuit, etc.) that you leave in the transition areas.

Awesome!...thanks.  So I'm guessing race morning goes something like this:  Wake up get dressed (for me tri-shorts/shirt), grab T1/T2 bags, grab cap/goggles/wetsuit and head to T1. Turn in bags to event staff and find porta potty.  Put wetsuit on and find shuttle bus to swim start...is this about right???

2012-09-11 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4405727

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
bdesotell - 2012-09-11 12:46 PM
louiskie - 2012-09-11 12:17 PM

Awesome!...thanks.  So I'm guessing race morning goes something like this:  Wake up get dressed (for me tri-shorts/shirt), grab T1/T2 bags, grab cap/goggles/wetsuit and head to T1. Turn in bags to event staff and find porta potty.  Put wetsuit on and find shuttle bus to swim start...is this about right???

Some edits:

Awesome!...thanks.  So I'm guessing race morning goes something like this:  Wake up POOP get dressed (for me tri-shorts/shirt), POOP grab T1/T2 bags (I CANT REMEMBER BUT I THINK YOU MIGHT HAVE ALREADY TURNED THESE IN THE NIGHT BEFORE WITH YOUR BIKE...BUT I COULD BE WRONG), grab cap/goggles/wetsuit (YES, DEFINITELY. AND THEN YOU MIGHT WANT TO POOP) and head to T1. Turn in bags to event staff and find porta potty (YES, YOU ARE LEARNING).  Put wetsuit on and find shuttle bus to swim start...is this about right??? I WOULD GET IN THE SHUTTLE BUS AND THEN GET IN THE WETSUIT BECAUSE YOU MIGHT BE HANGING AROUND FOR A LONG TIME IN THE WETSUIT OTHERWISE.

2012-09-11 12:32 PM

While we are on the topic of race morning....

I will be ridding the shuttle bus to the T1 site. As far as making sure Tire pressure is good and other bike stuff is good the morning of how would someone go about having a pump/other bike stuff at T1 and then being able to recover it after the race. Or would I be better to try to find a Friend race morning that already has one there.

2012-09-11 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4405822

Veteran

- Turn in T2 bag at registration on Friday.

5) When will I check in my changing bags?
Changing bags (Swim to Bike and Bike to Run) will be checked in at two locations.  Bike to Run (T2) changing bags will be checked in at the convention center (downtown) on Friday inside the convention center near the event expo and packet pick up areas.  You will hang your T2 changing bags on the appropriate rack (individually numbered) on Friday.  Swim to Bike changing bags will be checked in at T2 (Beach) either on Friday when you check your bike or on Saturday when you arrive to the event site.  For T2 full distance athletes will check in their bags near the changing tents while half distance athletes will place your changing bags at your bike rack.

- You will NOT get your wetsuit (or any other clothing/gear) back if you don't put it back into your T1 & T2 bag. 

2012-09-11 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4405846

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
n607ft - 2012-09-11 1:32 PM

While we are on the topic of race morning....

I will be ridding the shuttle bus to the T1 site. As far as making sure Tire pressure is good and other bike stuff is good the morning of how would someone go about having a pump/other bike stuff at T1 and then being able to recover it after the race. Or would I be better to try to find a Friend race morning that already has one there.

There will be a bike mech. area inside the fencing in T1, close to the changing tent. Pumps, etc. right there, so no need to bring your own. Not aware of any way to retrieve after the race. If you have a sherpa to help haul stuff, you could pass off to them once you finished inflating, though..
2012-09-11 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
I still can't get my head around not having a bag to put the stuff I'll be wearing at the start line. In 2009, it was around 40' at the start and I was wearing three layers of clothes before I got into my wetsuit. That's a lot of clothing that I'd have been throwing away because I don't have a clue what I would have done without the bag. Even races that aren't point to point, or where the start is close to T1, have some kind of bag to stuff the gear you wore to the event...

Surely this is a mistake?
2012-09-11 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4406286

Awesome thanks for the insight.

2012-09-12 5:17 AM
in reply to: #4406312

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

alltom1 - 2012-09-11 3:56 PM I still can't get my head around not having a bag to put the stuff I'll be wearing at the start line. In 2009, it was around 40' at the start and I was wearing three layers of clothes before I got into my wetsuit. That's a lot of clothing that I'd have been throwing away because I don't have a clue what I would have done without the bag. Even races that aren't point to point, or where the start is close to T1, have some kind of bag to stuff the gear you wore to the event... Surely this is a mistake?

Last year there was a bus at the swim start which collected your bag for the items that you wear prior to your start, flip flops, jackets, etc.  You get this bag back at the end of the race which is also good since you will most likely need your jacket and stuff after the race.  The bags sound confusing but it actually works out pretty well.  For example at T2 you got handed a bag and ran into the change tent, sat down in a chair, changed out, and then put your stuff back in the bag and off you go.  With T2 changing locations I am not sure how it will work this year but I am confident they will have it organized. T1 you set up as you normally would unless you want to use a change tent. Then you bagged your stuff and pick it up at the entrance of T1.  It is a little slower in T1 since you have to bag your stuff and then take off.  Getting a wetsuit in a plastic bag is not always quick.   I would bring a marker and mark the bags with your number all over it since when you pick up your bags it will be easier to find. Finding your bags after the race is a bit of a pain.

JK

2012-09-12 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4406988

User image

Veteran
JoeK - 2012-09-12 6:17 AM

alltom1 - 2012-09-11 3:56 PM I still can't get my head around not having a bag to put the stuff I'll be wearing at the start line. In 2009, it was around 40' at the start and I was wearing three layers of clothes before I got into my wetsuit. That's a lot of clothing that I'd have been throwing away because I don't have a clue what I would have done without the bag.

Great question!

Even races that aren't point to point, or where the start is close to T1, have some kind of bag to stuff the gear you wore to the event... Surely this is a mistake?

Last year there was a bus at the swim start which collected your bag for the items that you wear prior to your start, flip flops, jackets, etc.  You get this bag back at the end of the race which is also good since you will most likely need your jacket and stuff after the race.  The bags sound confusing but it actually works out pretty well.  For example at T2 you got handed a bag and ran into the change tent, sat down in a chair, changed out, and then put your stuff back in the bag and off you go.  With T2 changing locations I am not sure how it will work this year but I am confident they will have it organized. T1 you set up as you normally would unless you want to use a change tent. Then you bagged your stuff and pick it up at the entrance of T1.  It is a little slower in T1 since you have to bag your stuff and then take off.  Getting a wetsuit in a plastic bag is not always quick.   I would bring a marker and mark the bags with your number all over it since when you pick up your bags it will be easier to find. Finding your bags after the race is a bit of a pain.

JK

Is this a bag for the swim start one that they provide, or our own bag that we need to mark/label/identify??

2012-09-12 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4405822

User image

Veteran
louiskie - 2012-09-11 1:20 PM 

Some edits:

Awesome!...thanks.  So I'm guessing race morning goes something like this:  Wake up POOP get dressed (for me tri-shorts/shirt), POOP grab T1/T2 bags (I CANT REMEMBER BUT I THINK YOU MIGHT HAVE ALREADY TURNED THESE IN THE NIGHT BEFORE WITH YOUR BIKE...BUT I COULD BE WRONG), grab cap/goggles/wetsuit (YES, DEFINITELY. AND THEN YOU MIGHT WANT TO POOP) and head to T1. Turn in bags to event staff and find porta potty (YES, YOU ARE LEARNING).  Put wetsuit on and find shuttle bus to swim start...is this about right??? I WOULD GET IN THE SHUTTLE BUS AND THEN GET IN THE WETSUIT BECAUSE YOU MIGHT BE HANGING AROUND FOR A LONG TIME IN THE WETSUIT OTHERWISE.

FTW!...LOL.

2012-09-12 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4406988

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
JoeK - 2012-09-12 6:17 AM

alltom1 - 2012-09-11 3:56 PM I still can't get my head around not having a bag to put the stuff I'll be wearing at the start line. In 2009, it was around 40' at the start and I was wearing three layers of clothes before I got into my wetsuit. That's a lot of clothing that I'd have been throwing away because I don't have a clue what I would have done without the bag. Even races that aren't point to point, or where the start is close to T1, have some kind of bag to stuff the gear you wore to the event... Surely this is a mistake?

JK

Joe -

Thanks - I don't know if you'd seen that they are no longer providing that bag you passed to the bus...I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I just got an email back from the RD responding to whether or not I might have misunderstood the B2B website comments on this. Alas, RD says no bag for flipflops, etc. What to do?

2012-09-13 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4408338

Veteran

Thanks - I don't know if you'd seen that they are no longer providing that bag you passed to the bus...I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I just got an email back from the RD responding to whether or not I might have misunderstood the B2B website comments on this. Alas, RD says no bag for flipflops, etc. What to do?

Go to a 2nd hand store and buy a cheap sweatshirt and toboggan.  Then get a $1.00 pair of flip flops from the Dollar Store.  Leave them at the start and list them as a charitable contribution on your taxes with a $25 value.  Wear a trash bag if it's raining.  You have probably spent $5000+ on tri toys, another $2000 on entry fees and hotels.  $10 in clothing that will go to a charity won't break you

2012-09-13 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4408942

User image

Veteran
bhctri - 2012-09-13 8:37 AM

Go to a 2nd hand store and buy a cheap sweatshirt and toboggan.  Then get a $1.00 pair of flip flops from the Dollar Store.  Leave them at the start and list them as a charitable contribution on your taxes with a $25 value.  Wear a trash bag if it's raining.  You have probably spent $5000+ on tri toys, another $2000 on entry fees and hotels.  $10 in clothing that will go to a charity won't break you

I live in Florida. I had to look this up on the googles.  But thanks for the info; I have the exact same question as @alltom1.

2012-09-13 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4408942

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
bhctri - 2012-09-13 8:37 AM

Not really sure the town of Wrightsville Beach wants 1500 pairs of $1 flip flops lying around after the race starts...
2012-09-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4408338

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

[

Joe - Thanks - I don't know if you'd seen that they are no longer providing that bag you passed to the bus...I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I just got an email back from the RD responding to whether or not I might have misunderstood the B2B website comments on this. Alas, RD says no bag for flipflops, etc. What to do?

Eeekkks...thanks for the update.  Time to go back to the web site and refresh with the latest.  Apologies for the bum dope.

Joe

2012-09-21 7:15 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

One month to go...How's training looking? Honestly, I'd like to be throwing down a little more volume, but time is just a commodity that I don't have that much of...That being said, training has been more quality than quantity.

Weather is looking great! Hope it is not too much cooler on race day than it is now, though! I don't want a sub 60 degree bike start!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9