BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-12-26 11:42 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Originally posted by juneapple

Originally posted by JREDFLY

I think it is unanimous that Scott was running away with our last contest and will be awarded the coveted Black Dog Mug - with bragging rights! Scott PM me your address.

with Steve's "back in the saddle" training numbers coming post Jan 1, I think I am likely to take my normal place in the middle of the pack.

Stu

Stu--I hopefully will do better on the next challenge. Since I gained 5 pounds during the contest it wasn't my best performance. The good news is that weight is all coming off in January!

Steve

2013-12-26 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Originally posted by juneapple

Originally posted by JREDFLY

I think it is unanimous that Scott was running away with our last contest and will be awarded the coveted Black Dog Mug - with bragging rights! Scott PM me your address.

with Steve's "back in the saddle" training numbers coming post Jan 1, I think I am likely to take my normal place in the middle of the pack.

Stu

Stu--I hopefully will do better on the next challenge. Since I gained 5 pounds during the contest it wasn't my best performance. The good news is that weight is all coming off in January!

Steve
2013-12-26 11:57 AM
in reply to: lutzman

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-26 1:36 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Farmington, Connecticut
I also have the itch to start the upcoming weight loss & training points challenge.

In addition to my goal of losing more weight, the challenge really hits one of my hot buttons. I"ll come right out and say it: I WANT THE MUG. As a waterfowl hunter, I'm both a coffee drinker and a diehard Labrador Retriever guy, so the chance to win a high quality Black Dog mug is all the motivation I'll need.

So I say COME ON, JANUARY! Until then, my focus remains on ridding our house of Christmas cookies......one at a time.

Dave
2013-12-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Regular
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

I've been reading posts trying to get up to date with the contest and with the bios and realized I haven't posted anything since joining the group. But I've been trying to undo some of the bad habits that I developed. I'm told over and over my stroke is "beautiful" and so smooth,, blah, blah. Sure it looks effortless but I don't GET ANYWHERE FAST! I won't be able to swim for another week but I'll be studying her stroke.

It's great to "meet" everyone!

townsley

Townsley--

For my swimming, I studied a lot of videos, worked on the various drills I could find on the internet, tried to copy the things I was seeing. None of it helped me very much. For me, there were two fundamental problems with the video approach: 1) I can watch myself swim to observe any flaws/breakdowns, and 2 ) Even if I could watch myself, I don't have the swimming background to see the flaws and know the specific drills to bring about changes.

What worked for me was investing in private lessons with the swim team coach for a short period of time. These were 30 minute sessions where she watched my stroke, worked with me to understand the specific problems/corrections, and drilled me hard so fatigue would start to break down my stroke making the flaws more obvious and the corrections more impactful.

She showed me that I when I get it right I actually swim faster while expending less effort.

Worth thinking about if that's an option. It made a big difference for me. I found that while my swim times got moderately faster, my level of fatigue exiting the water was much, much lower. That's a win-win.

Scott may have some thoughts as well.

Steve
2013-12-26 5:38 PM

Regular
Newport News
Hi Steve,

Like to come back to the group. Kind of slacked off toward the end last year, but am ready to start the 2014 season.

Will be doing Sprints with Aqua-bikes for the longer distances this year along with several OWS races, I put my name in the lottery for the Great Chesapeake Swim again this year. My TNT event this year will be the Seagull Century in September, so like Stu I will have done all three legs of an IM.

Goals this year are to lose some weight 10-15 pounds. Complete the Chesapeake 4.4 mile swim. Compete at the 1/2 IM distance in the Aquabike.

Tsvi Katz-Hyman

2013-12-26 6:17 PM

Subject: RE: Christmas Week
wow im not even close to that training yet, usually
Mon-Friday,30-40min swim crawl and breast stroke working on rhythm breathing, evening 1 hour indoor trainer bike ride. along with some lat work for arm swim strength
Sat-easy run of 8miles,
Sun-Easy run of 13 miles.

Getting surgery soon, so will have to take a rest, hope I don't loose what I have gained! prob 2-weeks recovery.

2013-12-26 6:20 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wsummerhill

running 40-50 miles a week . . .

THIS YEAR'S PLANNED RACES: Wendy's Sprint Tri, Musselman 70.3, Ironman Louisville 

Hi Wendy!

Welcome to the group!

So sorry to hear about your friend's wife.

Really?!? 40-50 miles per week?  Just so you know, I hate you!  Not really, but 40-50 miles per week?  That's just wrong!    Can you tell that running is my weakest discipline?

I am also registered for IM Louisville this year. Hmmm . . . maybe we should make 'Gray Guy/Gal' shirts!?!

2013-12-26 6:26 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Since I gained 5 pounds during the contest it wasn't my best performance. The good news is that weight is all coming off in January! Steve

Hey Steve,

Isn't that kinda like sandbaggin'?

2013-12-26 7:07 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

Regular
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Hi Steve,

Like to come back to the group. Kind of slacked off toward the end last year, but am ready to start the 2014 season.

Tsvi Katz-Hyman

Of course Tsvi! I was hoping you'd return. Glad to see you're back!

Steve
2013-12-26 7:11 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Since I gained 5 pounds during the contest it wasn't my best performance. The good news is that weight is all coming off in January! Steve

Hey Steve,

No sandbagging, Scott...just not enough workouts and way too many cookies, pizza's, cakes, chocolates, etc, etc etc. My weight range fluctuates between 159 (race weight) and 168 (cookie diet weight). As soon as I start working out regularly I'll drop 3-4 pounds. The last 3-4 pounds to get to race weight are always the tough ones.

Steve

2013-12-26 7:32 PM

Expert
Illinois
Hello, may I join this group? At 52, I am most definitely a Gray Girl.
Name: Anne
Have a 24 y.o. daughter, a very patient boyfriend and 3 awesome cats.
Started running in 2004 after quitting smoking. Kept getting injured, so got an old road bike to do some cross training. In 2007 I took a swimming class taught by a friend at the local Y and met some other adult onset athletes. Have done a number of sprint and olympic distance tris and two 70.3 races.

In 2013 I trained for a 70.3 but burned myself out badly and decided to just skip racing for the rest of the year, with the exception of doing the bike leg in an Xterra. For 2014 I am tentatively planning to race a sprint in April, then have a couple of Xterra races picked out.

The idea of a group comprised of Masters is appealing. I am finding that recovery days are more important than ever.
2013-12-26 7:45 PM
in reply to: abake

Regular
Originally posted by abake

Hello, may I join this group? At 52, I am most definitely a Gray Girl.
Name: Anne
met some other adult onset athletes. Have done a number of sprint and olympic distance tris and two 70.3 races.

The idea of a group comprised of Masters is appealing. I am finding that recovery days are more important than ever.

Hey Anne:

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join our group.

Steve
2013-12-26 8:58 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dogpaddle

I've been reading posts trying to get up to date with the contest and with the bios and realized I haven't posted anything since joining the group. But I've been trying to undo some of the bad habits that I developed. I'm told over and over my stroke is "beautiful" and so smooth,, blah, blah. Sure it looks effortless but I don't GET ANYWHERE FAST! I won't be able to swim for another week but I'll be studying her stroke.

It's great to "meet" everyone! townsley

Townsley-- For my swimming, I studied a lot of videos, worked on the various drills I could find on the internet, tried to copy the things I was seeing. None of it helped me very much. For me, there were two fundamental problems with the video approach: 1) I can watch myself swim to observe any flaws/breakdowns, and 2 ) Even if I could watch myself, I don't have the swimming background to see the flaws and know the specific drills to bring about changes.

What worked for me was investing in private lessons with the swim team coach for a short period of time. These were 30 minute sessions where she watched my stroke, worked with me to understand the specific problems/corrections, and drilled me hard so fatigue would start to break down my stroke making the flaws more obvious and the corrections more impactful.

She showed me that I when I get it right I actually swim faster while expending less effort.

Worth thinking about if that's an option. It made a big difference for me. I found that while my swim times got moderately faster, my level of fatigue exiting the water was much, much lower. That's a win-win.

Scott may have some thoughts as well.

Steve

Yeah, in my opinion that is the problem with Total Immersion.  It is really pretty to look at, but the function is lacking - it has no power or speed.  The two biggest shortcomings I have seen with swimmers that have adopted Total Immersion is that their stroke tends to be too short and they don't typically have very good body rotation.  There are likely several other issues but they will generally take care of themselves when the the two problems I mentioned are dealt with.

I will make this really short so it will lack much specific detail, I am happy to get in to that if you wish.  Total Immersion advocates an early entry and extension underwater. TI also downplays body rotation.  What that translates to in the water is a swimmer that does not achieve anywhere near full extension prior to the catch as a result of the early entry and poor rotation.  Additionally, because there is insufficient rotation, it is a challenge to efficiently achieve full extension at the end of the stroke.  Combined, those two flaws reduce the stroke by a considerable amount - I have seen as much as 60% reduction in stroke length.  Additionally, because of the poor body rotation, the shoulder muscles are powering the stroke, not the stronger muscles of the chest, back, and core.  That results in a stroke that is pretty to look at, but extremely inefficient and depressingly slow.

Before I go any further, I want to say that obviously I have not seen you swim.  I have no idea where you are on the 'swimming curve,' by which I mean I don't know your times, yardage, training history, etc.  So my comments are general in nature, based on my experience and may or may not specifically apply to you.  So please don't take offense if none of this applies to you.

As Steve mentioned, some people are able to read a book, watch a video, or have someone explain "how-to" to them and then get in the water and do it.  Other people, not so much.  Don't know which one of those people you are, so with that in mind, I will offer a couple things you can do to facilitate good body rotation and to make sure your stroke is the proper length.

First, as a GENERAL guideline, the entry should occur about the time the crook of your elbow is even with the top of your head (roughly 3/4 full extension).  TI teaches a much earlier entry.

There are two things I recommend to achieve an efficient stroke. I won’t go so far as to call them drills, because they are simply thought processes that are incorporated into the overall stroke.

1) Reach for the wall – After your hand enters the water, your shoulder 'follows' your hand and rolls down.  I call this 'rolling into the stroke.'  By rolling your shoulder down you are able to reach further forward, which allows for a longer stroke.  Just remember to "reach for the wall."  Now, a quick word of caution, you don't want to unnaturally reach forward - meaning don't strain to reach forward.  Simply reach as far forward as you comfortably can with you elbow NOT locked.

2) Brush Your Hip with Your Thumb – As you begin your recovery, brush your hip with your thumb. LITERALLY!  Drag your thumb across your hip.  Visualize your thumb helping to rotate your hip up, or stated another way, your thumb brushes your hip out of the way. The effect of this is twofold. First, in order for your thumb to brush your hip, you must have full extension in your stroke. Second, it will facilitate proper body roll at the recovery end of your stroke.

I have a bit more detail in the 'Swimming Technique' blog on my website at http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique.  In your case, I specifically recommend you read the 'Freestyle Stroke' and 'Body Roll' articles.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

2013-12-26 9:27 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Hi Steve,

Will be doing Sprints with Aqua-bikes for the longer distances this year along with several OWS races, I put my name in the lottery for the Great Chesapeake Swim again this year. My TNT event this year will be the Seagull Century in September, so like Stu I will have done all three legs of an IM.

Goals this year are to lose some weight 10-15 pounds. Complete the Chesapeake 4.4 mile swim. Compete at the 1/2 IM distance in the Aquabike.

Tsvi Katz-Hyman

Hey Tsvi!

Glad to see you are back.

2013-12-26 9:37 PM

Connecticut
Hi Steve- if you still have room, I'd love to join the group. I have read the groups profiles and it sounds like a great mix of participants looking to learn and share ideas.

Name: trytritryguy/Dave

Status: 51 yrs old/ married for 24 yrs. to a terrific wife! 2 boys- 21 yr old (Marine)' and 17 yr old (Sr in H.S.)

Background :used to run quite a bit about 15 yrs ago. Ran a few half marathons with the goal of running a full marathon. Between work,family and injuries never achieved my goal. Took an interest years later in biking to cross train and avoid the nagging injuries that kept reoccurring (probably improper training). Always enjoyed watching the local sprint tri in town and always said "someday" I would love to do that. Feb 2011 I had meniscus surgery on my knee. I pledged to myself that when I could walk again, I was going to get back into training shape. Fast forward to Jan 2012 and I signed up for the Sept. Sprint. I figured I would give myself 8 months to prepare. Finished the Sprint smiling and as BT's say, "I was hooked"

2013 races: Hammerfest Sprint Tri

2014 goals- have been waiting on MRI results to figure out what's going on with my knee again. Will then put together race schedule. Would like to do at
Least 2-3 sprints and possibly an Oly.

Look forward to learning and sharing experiences of the aging athlete. I feel that my fitness continues to improve but recovery gets tougher and tougher with each passing year. Hope to be part of this years group.

Dave

2013-12-26 9:45 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Steve,

No sandbagging, Scott...just not enough workouts and way too many cookies, pizza's, cakes, chocolates, etc, etc etc. My weight range fluctuates between 159 (race weight) and 168 (cookie diet weight). As soon as I start working out regularly I'll drop 3-4 pounds. The last 3-4 pounds to get to race weight are always the tough ones. Steve

You know I was just funnin' you right?  Just pullin' your chain!

2013-12-26 10:22 PM

Regular

1) Reach for the wall – After your hand enters the water, your shoulder 'follows' your hand and rolls down.  I call this 'rolling into the stroke.'  By rolling your shoulder down you are able to reach further forward, which allows for a longer stroke.  Just remember to "reach for the wall."  Now, a quick word of caution, you don't want to unnaturally reach forward - meaning don't strain to reach forward.  Simply reach as far forward as you comfortably can with you elbow NOT locked.

2) Brush Your Hip with Your Thumb – As you begin your recovery, brush your hip with your thumb. LITERALLY!  Drag your thumb across your hip.  Visualize your thumb helping to rotate your hip up, or stated another way, your thumb brushes your hip out of the way. The effect of this is twofold. First, in order for your thumb to brush your hip, you must have full extension in your stroke. Second, it will facilitate proper body roll at the recovery end of your stroke.

I have a bit more detail in the 'Swimming Technique' blog on my website at http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique.  In your case, I specifically recommend you read the 'Freestyle Stroke' and 'Body Roll' articles.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Scott--this is just a really strong post. Thanks!

Steve
2013-12-26 10:22 PM
in reply to: trytritryguy

Regular
Originally posted by trytritryguy

Hi Steve- if you still have room, I'd love to join the group. I have read the groups profiles and it sounds like a great mix of participants looking to learn and share ideas.

Name: trytritryguy/Dave

Look forward to learning and sharing experiences of the aging athlete. I feel that my fitness continues to improve but recovery gets tougher and tougher with each passing year. Hope to be part of this years group.

Dave

You're in Dave. Welcome to the forum!

Steve
2013-12-26 10:26 PM

Regular

Hey Steve,

No sandbagging, Scott...just not enough workouts and way too many cookies, pizza's, cakes, chocolates, etc, etc etc. My weight range fluctuates between 159 (race weight) and 168 (cookie diet weight). As soon as I start working out regularly I'll drop 3-4 pounds. The last 3-4 pounds to get to race weight are always the tough ones. Steve

You know I was just funnin' you right?  Just pullin' your chain!

Of course!
2013-12-27 12:09 AM

I'd love to join the group!
I'm in my late 50's, and have been running marathons for the last seven years. Last season two of my running group friends finished their first Full Ironman and I was inspired. I found a coach and have been taking some swimming lessons (can swim but have no form); my goal for the upcoming season is a Sprint in May, an Olympic in July and a Half Ironman in September. If all goes well I would like to complete a Full Ironman in 2015 to "celebrate" my 60th birthday.
Looking forward to meeting the group.
Cheers.

2013-12-27 5:37 AM
in reply to: woolverstone55

Expert
Illinois
It's been fun reading through everyone's bios and dare I say, inspirational? Knee replacements, meniscus surgery --- things that would have sidelined an average person.

Can we talk about weight loss? I chronically have "that last ten pounds" that I would like to lose. I read Matt Fitzgerald's book "Racing Weight" and according to that, my optimal race weight would be 149-150. I am 5' 9" and bounce around between 152-157. I haven't ventured near a scale this week due to Christmas binging. I mostly follow a paleo/clean eating style with the occasional pizza thrown in. This year I would like to actually get to 149. Hopefully the accountability of this group will help me reach that goal.

What kind of nutrition do some of you follow, what works, what does not work?
2013-12-27 6:54 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I'd like in!  I'll post the bio later.  Work calls….

2013-12-27 7:31 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Name: QueenZipp   Real name  Judi

Family:  Married 20 years, 2 daughters  whom I refer to as the Things (Thing 1 and Miss Thing).  Older daughter is studying elementary and special ed.  Younger one graduates HS this year and plans to go to nursing school (her father and I are both RN's and we couldn't talk her out of it)

Background……I started triathlons in 2007 and got bit by the bug hard even after my first one which was in the remnants of a tropical storm and on a miserable hybrid bike.  I have done a multitude of sprints and a handful of Olympic distance races over the years.  A couple of mini sprints/ super sprints.  I usually love running and hate swimming…….Did a marathon in November which was the "cure" for loving the run.  Hated every minute of training and my run fell apart completely.  I am in the process of trying to rebuild the run and am easing into it slowly so I can love the run again.

I have been involved in the Mentor groups over the years as both a menthe and a co-mentor.  I do not think I know all that much and generally say very little in the threads unless I feel like I have something to really contribute--but I love the inspires

My plans for 2014 are not solid yet.  I will probably do my favorite 10K in late March, a super sprint in May and have definitely signed up for the Rev3 Williamsburg Olympic in June.  Timing this year is hard as my youngest graduates high school and will be heading off to college.  Haven't thought about any late season races, will probably do Patriot's in Williamsburg in September ….after the disappointment with marathon training I am not sure I even want to do the HM in November so I may do the 8K for a change so I can enjoy riding my bike more through the summer.

I like strength training and am currently working with a trainer on the TRX which I absolutely love!.  I find it necessary to do strength and flexibility work to keep the injuries away--had a few of those over the years and have no intention of spending any more  time in the physical therapy office!

2013-12-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4915093

I am interested in joining your group. My name is Judd. I've been a recreational cyclist and runner for about 13 years. I've completed two Marathons (Marine Corp 4:18) and Inaugural Gettysburg 4:08); numerous century cycling events, and participate in local club rides when my schedule allows. For the last two or three years, I've set a goal of completing a triathlon, but once the warmer weather hits, I abandon my "organized drowning" for the bike and sneakers. I'm hoping that by having a mentor, I will continue with the multi-sport discipline throughout the year and complete at least one sprint and Olympic event. In addition I am registered for RAGBRI (awaiting lottery results) in July and am also hoping to do another marathon this year. I'm looking forward to working with an experience mentor to help me reach my goals!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18703 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.