Subject: RE: Whizzzzz's Group -- Full!
you are very bouncy

2007-01-08 11:29 PM
in reply to: #635251

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
36 here. After the inital shock of stepping on the scale after New Year's, I'm back to 184. Not exactly where I want to be to run a marathon, but a far cry from my 217 max at the time of my exercise epiphany. I'd love to be back down around 175 by June, but I guess that all depends on what I shove in my mouth. It's all up to me.

And that's not dew or chlorine, its just plain sweat!
2007-01-08 11:37 PM
in reply to: #647199

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Episcopit - You should have a great base of endurance and cardio conditioning from marathon training. I guess your readiness of an oly will depend on the swim and bike base that you are working from. For me, the run is the hardest because it is the last event and my weakest leg. I've heard it said many times that the swim is the least important, but that depends on whether you can manage the distance, regardless of pace. I say that with the following caveat: if you tire on the run, you walk; if you tire on the bike, you coast; if you tire on the swim, you drown.

Where are you at with your base/background on the swim and bike?
2007-01-09 9:18 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I'm 38.  I look and feel much older.

Here's an interesting HR article I found.  There's a lot to be read about this just here on BT, not to mention the whole web.  You can do this kind of training without the actual monitor - I did it by RPE for a year.  It works.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/HRMoniterPartII.htm

I'm not bouncy.  And that's not sweat or dew.  It's spray from Whizz's wake.

2007-01-09 9:55 AM
in reply to: #647569

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
2007-01-09 9:59 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

tvwatters - you had a great race last weekend.  You crushed your PR.  Nice job.

You know how in the race report they ask you what limited your ability to perform faster?  Forget that.  I'd like to ask you, and share with the group, what do you feel contributed to your ability to run so fast?  Were there any things that you picked up here or from other resources that helped you either in training beforehand or during the race to do so well?  Was it simply a matter of training more consistently?

2007-01-09 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Fess up? Well, I wish I were the average age of our group.

I will fess up on Tribadger first, he turned 49 on January 4th! I am 48. Of course, he will be 49 and 1/2 when I turn 49! I will let him tell you that story.

Some days I feel like I am 29. Does that count for lowering my age?

Other days, well let's not go there.

Of course, I don't look as old as I am thanks to triathlon training. How is that for motivation!
2007-01-10 12:38 AM
in reply to: #647657

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
John,

I think there was a few different things that contributed to a faster than expected time on Saturday. By the way, you are right about the long, slow distance.

1. Training LSD (1). I have never done any sort of regimen that would resemble speed work. The relatively consistent LSD gives you lots of time to experiment with different mechanics. I'm no technicial expert or physiologist, but I feel that I have been able to focus on a more efficient stride to cover more distance with less effort.

2. Training LSD (2). No, this is not a repeat. The other (and for me an equally important) factor in the LSD is the mental training to focus. When you are out on the road for a couple of hours, what else do you have to do? It also gave me the knowledge that I have more than run the distance; therefore I can afford to give a greater degree of effort on the shorter run without burning out. If I do start to burn out, I could always fall back to the LSD pace.

3. Stride and posture. After running a fair amount of hills, I have a better idea of how to approach decents and ascents. I could still use more practice on the decents, but I feel that I attacked the hills pretty efficiently by leaning into the hill a little with shorter strides, higher cadence, and driving down my arms to produce a little more power with each step.

4. Not saddling myself with "known limits". Also known as the mental barrier. Before Saturday, I knew that the fastest that I could run 5 miles was just under 9min/mi. If I had been paying attention to my watch and the mile markers the whole way, I think I would have run just under 9 minute miles, just like I expected. It was what I "knew" was my top speed. Leave your "known limits" at home on race day and listen to your body instead.

5. The CROWD! There were very few spectators, so in this case the crowd was the rest of the runners. For me, this was a fast crowd. If I had known what kind of pace the top half would be running, I would have told you that I was out of my league. By the way, I would have been right I started out strong and settled in at a manageable pace. Once I was part of a pack, I was not about to be left behind. It gave me something to shoot for and pace against. Even when I was slightly winded, the competitive side of me would not let those people ahead of me get out of reach . . . that would be giving up. I was not about to give up on a distance I knew I could tackle (see point #2).
2007-01-10 6:59 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Good stuff Todd.  Thanks.

Running hills is something I like talking about and I REALLY enjoy doing it in a race because so few people seem to do it in a way that takes advantage of the descents.  In my half mary I was able to pass and build leads on people during descents that I struggled to keep up with on the flats.  What part of the descent do you still feel like you are working on?  Maybe I've received some advice in the past that would help you. 

2007-01-10 7:04 AM
in reply to: #648717

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
HL, if you like running hills, you will love March Madness. (!!!!) Get out to Cary and run the course before the race. It's hills galore!
2007-01-10 8:14 AM
in reply to: #648720

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Whizzzzz - 2007-01-10 7:04 AM HL, if you like running hills, you will love March Madness. (!!!!) Get out to Cary and run the course before the race. It's hills galore!

Well, if you and goofball Schmize would get over your knee surgeries already I'd have someone to run it with now wouldn't I?  Knee surgery, shmee shmurgery.  Let's get on with it already!

2007-01-10 12:15 PM
in reply to: #648717

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
I used to lean back and take really long strides when going downhill. The leaning back was forcing my lower body forward causing, each foot strike to act as a combination brake/shock absorber. For those of you who have never tried this approach, a fully extended knee is not a very good shock absorber. Its kind of like running into a wall holding a walking stick pointing straight out and expecting the stick to fold in the middle.

I have started to experiment more with leaning the upper body slightly forward and picking up the cadence a little more to help reduce the shock of impact on the body. I still take longer strides to keep pace with the added gravity, but it is a lot less like leaping through a field of clover than it once was.

Any insight on safe and effective downhill technique would be great!

2007-01-10 3:00 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I don't know if this will help but I try to concentrate on a few simple things on a steep downhill.

1.  Don't blow out a knee.  This is important.

2.  Let gravity take over.  Expend no effort on forward motion but expend no effort to slow myself
     down either.  Unless rule #1 becomes a concern.

3.  Keep arms tight to the body and move them in short quick movements.

4. Increase turnover.  It feels like you are taking short steps but they are actually longer than you
    think.  Each step is just a light touch of the ground to keep your body moving in the right
    direction since, you know, we're not actually capable of flight. 

5.  As you said never reach forward with a leg.  It only goes forward enough to tap the ground in
     time to be picked up again. 

I'm not saying this doesn't require any extra energy over normal running, but the return in speed seems worth the investment.  Sure, I'm breathing a little harder after a long steep downhill, but it's nowhere near how hard I would be breathing to run that fast on a flat.  I also believe that as long as you can avoid falling or blowing out a knee it is much less stressful on the body than chugging down a hill the way you were doing it (me too last year).

One final thought, after doing this a few times on really steep downhills you'll find yourself doing it automatically on rolling hills which are much easier to handle.  It soon becomes second nature.  These are the kinds of hills I had in my half mary and it still made a big difference in speed relative to those around me.  I didn't even realize I was doing it until I wondered why I was suddenly passing people I had been running with and behind for the last mile or two.

2007-01-11 7:59 AM
in reply to: #647199

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Episcopit - 2007-01-08 9:25 PM With a marathon on 1 Apr, that gives me six weeks between events, so to me, the question seems to be can I work in enough swim and bike training between now and the 15th of July while training for a marathon. Thoughts?

With your running and swimming background I think you can do this. 

1.  The running is a no brainer.  You'll be more than ready even if all you do is maintenance running after your marathon. 

2.  You have a swimming background.  I'm assuming its an OWS.  If it is, my only question would be your confidence in open water.  Assuming that's fine...

3.  ... there's just the bike to think about.  Well, no matter how slow a person goes you're not likely to get hurt or drown on a bike.  Have you done the distance on a bike before?  If you've done it at least a few times before the race I think you can be pretty confident about this.

If you are just wondering if you can finish, I say yes.  In fact, I think you can do pretty well if you put your mind to it.  After your mary I would go into a bike heavy phase with swimming secondary and running just for maintenance for about 3-4 weeks, depending how long your recovery is after the mary. 

While you are training for the marathon you can probably get some good, quick swim workouts in.  For an Oly swim, with a swim background, I don't think you need to spend huge chunks of time cranking out 2500-3500m swims.  20-30 minute workouts concentrating on speed and form can be very beneficial and have minimal impact on your available running time. 

2007-01-11 8:21 AM
in reply to: #650288

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I'd have to agree... If you look at your logs, your swim base is already where it needs to be for an Olympic Triathlon. You will have run a marathon a couple of months prior, so a 10K should be no problem. In the meanwhile, train the bike, while maintaining a smaller run base, and keeping your swim base. 

Run off the bike. After each bike ride, run. Not the full 10K... but a mile or two or three... just to get your legs accustomed to running after biking.

I can't wait to see how you do! _

2007-01-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: #650314

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Whizzzzz - 2007-01-11 8:21 AM

I'd have to agree... If you look at your logs, your swim base is already where it needs to be for an Olympic Triathlon. You will have run a marathon a couple of months prior, so a 10K should be no problem. In the meanwhile, train the bike, while maintaining a smaller run base, and keeping your swim base. 

Run off the bike. After each bike ride, run. Not the full 10K... but a mile or two or three... just to get your legs accustomed to running after biking.

I can't wait to see how you do! _

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  Running off the bike is critical.  To me, and to many, it is the single most difficult part of the sport.  Even if you practice it.  Example:  I did a few bricks like this where I would ride about 20 miles and then run a mile or two afterwards and I felt pretty good about it.  Then I did a 40 mi ride and started out on a 4 mi. run.  I began the run fearing how much it might hurt.  Didn't feel too bad.  I got mentally tricked into running normal because I felt so good.  About 1/2 mile in, it hit me.  Cramps seized my legs.  I had to stop for a while while the spasms receded and gradually get going again.  Nobody ever mentioned feeling good and THEN wrecking during a brick in everything I had read about them.  I learned to follow my game plan of running much slower with very good form and short strides no matter how good I feel.  If I hadn't found that out during training I would have found out in a race someday and that might have resulted in a DFL. 

The point is, do bricks so that you are physically trained, but also so that you are mentally prepared for how your body reacts to that stress.  You need to learn how your body deals with it so you can be prepared. 

2007-01-11 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the vote of confidence on my base for the run and swim.

I bike to the track for my runs now, but that's only 1-5 miles depending on if I leave from home or work. My road bike is going to the shop for new tires and tune-up shortly even though I don't plan on starting riding it until Feb. For now, I'll reverse the order of my long run when I go to the Creeper Trail. It's a Rails-to-Trails project. I have been running one way and then getting on my bike to go back to my car. (Maybe I should log functional bike rides)

My legs were slightly sore after my long run, but the soreness worked out after the swim the next day. The 4-miler the following day felt longer, but it was mental as I'd been awake for 20 hours prior to the run and had and emotionally and physically hard night at work.

Right now, I'm staying in coast and maintain mode with training since I don't want to start anything new since my training will be on hold for 2 weeks at the end of the month.
2007-01-12 5:41 PM
in reply to: #650600

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Didn't I teach you the value of the T-run last year, HL? Kiss Another convert. Heh.
2007-01-12 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
What's a T-run?
2007-01-13 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Have a great training weekend everyone!

We are reviewing a couple of HIM training plans and trying to decide what plan and what race will work best for us this summer.

Two plans that seem to be the best so far are Gayle Bernhardt's 27-week HIM from "Training Plans for Multi-Sports Athletes" book and the 20-week plan from Matt Fitzgerald's "Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide". Has anyone used either of these plans?

Is it possible to only do 2 swims/2 bikes/2 runs per week and still complete a HIM comfortably and not too slow? Do I need to bump it up to 3 sessions each week in each sport?
2007-01-13 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

A T-run is a transition run... running for a bit right off the bike. It's not (it doesn't have to be, at least) a whole "brick" session where you do a full bike ride and then a full 10K or a full run... It can be a mile or two or 15-20 minutes however you prefer to work it.

For example, when we were training for Racine, we did a 15-20 mile bike ride during the week, followed by a 2-4 mile T run every Tuesday. The distances varied according to where we were in our training program. Might have been 20/4, might have been 15/2, just depending. You can take a look back thru my logs. Saturday's long ride was ((nearly)) always followed by some sort of a T run... the hardest one was 70-75 mile bike followed by a 3 or 4 mile T run. I don't remember the exact distance but I remember the date. 8/26. There's plenty of blathering about T runs all throughout my blog. I hate them. They are essential. Too bad for us.

Lori: As far as training 2/2/2... I don't know... it depends on what your base is like, what your weakness is, and how much rest you need. Our program went something like this:

Monday: Run/Lift/Recovery Swim
Tuesday: Bike/T-run
Wednesday: Run/lift/Endurance swim
Thursday: Bike/T-run
Friday: REST
Saturday: Long Bike/T-run
Sunday: Long Run/Medium Swim

I would usually take either Tuesday or Wednesday as a second rest day, varying, so I wasn't missing the same thing each week. But that looks like 3 swims, 3 bikes, and 4 runs, as well as 2 lifting sessions. Yikes. You have to realize I was coming from a very weak base, though...

What will your program specify as far as activities/days? 

2007-01-14 12:30 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Bernhardt Plan-27 weeks (Every fourth week is a recovery week, one-week taper--note, no rest day, only 2 bikes):

Mon-Strength
Tues-Swim (Endurance)/Run (Form or Speed)
Wed-Strength
Thur-Swim (Speed)/Run (Endurance)
Fri-Bike (Spin/Intervals)
Sat-Swim (Form)/Run (Endurance)
Sun-Bike (Endurance)

Fitzgerald Plan-20 weeks-Choice of Level (Every fourth week is a recovery week, two-week taper, note-no strength training):

M-Rest
T-Bike (Power/Intervals)
W-Swim (Intervals)/Run (Fartlek)
R-Bike (Foundation)
F-Swim (Intervals)/Run (Foundation)
S-Bike (Long)
Su-Swim (Base)/Run (Long)

Getting 3 bikes and 3 runs is doable. The third swim might be a little harder. I tend to cram the weekends with training once I start riding outdoors (i.e. two long bikes, two swims). I know I won't be able to do it that way in the future. I would like to do my long run on Tuesdays or Wednesdays and add an open water swim session once per week.
2007-01-15 6:46 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
lori - specifically talking about the HIM distance is getting out of my range of experience as my longest tri was an OLY last year.  I can tell you that I probably will NOT be ably to do 3/3/3 per week while training for a HIM this year.  On a good week I can get 3/3/2 and I'll rotate which sport gets the short week.  Even so, there will be some 3/2/2 in there as well just because I know how often life will change my schedule.  It's just going to have to be enough.
2007-01-16 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Thanks for the idea. Never crossed my mind to approach it that way.

I am leaning towards using the Fitzgerald Plan because it is much more specific on what to do for each workout. I also like the weekly plan. The brick is in the middle of the week. I plan on doing a trainer session (don't like riding alone on the road) followed by a T run. I really like the weekend layout of: Saturday-Long Bike, Sunday-Long Swim/Long Run. The plan will also allow me to get one OWS session in each week with a little flexibility as to when. God knows I need it!

I will need to add time for maintenance strength and yoga. We still haven't decided on which HIM to do. I have heard that the bike course for Pigman is difficult as is the first hill on the run which also becomes a hill towards the end on the way back. No shade at all on the run. Other options are Whirlpool Steelhead (big race) or Lake Geneva (in Sept-poorly organized, very small).

I also need to find an Olympic distance to do--considering Bigfoot right now (Lake Geneva, WI). Not much available in the local area for Olympic distance tris. Lots of sprints though!

Let me know what you think. I have only done one sprint (pool swim). I was tempted by Rockman in Rockford (too early) but I need to get much more comfortable in open water before I attempt a HIM swim.

Is it a little unrealistic to be attempting a HIM this year? Should I get a few sprints and an Olympic in the year and shoot for a HIM and possibly an IM in 2008? I am open to any advice and/or suggestions.
2007-01-17 4:43 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Lori -

For my part, I'm not sure what to advise you to do here.  It really is going to come down to your choice but I'll try to help you outline some thoughts.  First, it seems like you're goal (like a lot of us) is to work up to the IM distance as fast as seems safe to do.  It looks like you are thinking OLY and HIM this year and IM next year, or OLY this year and HIM and IM next year.  I think someone with your background who is athletic and has time to train A LOT, and trains properly,  can do either schedule if your only goal is to finish without collapsing.  Being a survivor. 

Let's look at your weaknesses.  No huge base in any one sport.  Nervous about OWS.  Lack of tri experience.

Strengths.  Committed to training properly.  You have experience running longer distances.  Time to train and BT knowledge/support.

FWIW I faced a choice similar to yours last year with similar strengths and weaknesses.  Except I had never run before but had ridden a bit.  I decided to make it a 3 year project.  Sprint and OLY last year.  HIM and Marathon this year.  IM next year.  I know people don't always do a marathon first, but for me, I have to know that my body can take it as a stand alone event.  I picture myself getting off the bike in T2 at IMWI in 2008 exhausted and feeling like I want to die.  Hardly able to move.  At that point, do I want to start a marathon wondering if I can do it or knowing I've done one?  For me that's it.  Maybe you don't need that. 

Logistics:  another thing that's hard about these races is learning all the planning that goes into it.  Nutrition, equipment, what you need when.  It takes practice.  BT knowledge can help a lot in this area.  But if your goal is to do longer races, then when you are doing shorter ones think about how you plan them out and afterwards analyze what worked and what didn't and how you can apply that info to the next distance up. 

OWS.  The HIM swim is not that much different than the OLY.  So doing the HIM this year is really more about the bike and run.  Will you be ready for that combo? 

If you are concerned about being able to be in shape for a HIM this summer, with 7 months to train, you may want to think about if you have the base for an IM next summer.  That may be being overly cautious.

So now I'm back to the original question.  I think IF you can put in the training in the next 4-5 months you should do the OLY and HIM this year.  This will give you the whole offseason next year to focus your training and planning toward the IM.  OTOH, because of the early June timing of Rockman, doing an OLY or two this summer, then Rockman, then IMWI would be a very close second option.  The problem is that you will have to be registered for the IM before you do the HIM.  Doing the HIM this summer means you are certain that you are ready to move up to IM before you shell out the bucks. 

I know I've done a lot of rambling here and some of it is even probably contradictory.  I hope some of it helps.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Whizzzzz's Group -- Full! Rss Feed  

of 19