BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-03-10 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL

So, T2 to me is the simplest of the transitions.  Bike to run.  As mentioned, if you set up things in order everything I need should be right there.  Off with the bike shoes, off with the helmet, flip race belt around to face front.  Stick runners on, hat, sunglasses, stash a gel in my pocket - and move garmin from bike to wrist.  And out.

Your success in T2 will be all about how well you set it up from the start.  My experience tells me that I usually say 'oh whatever, transitions don't matter because I am not competitive' and then sure enough i've been tagging back and forth with a girl in my AG and then it does matter when I just want to beat her!!! In a race, this is totally okay and encouraged!! It just sucks when you know you could have set yourself up better and been the first one out of T2. 

So, any other thoughts on T2 ... Richard, you've been quiet on your own experience with this!

2011-03-10 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran

Wow!  Such great information!!!  You guys rock. 

So excited to do a sprint, but it looks like it is going to have to wait until next season because I am PREGNANT!!!!  I am so excited I can hardly stand it.  I am 7 weeks along and get to go to the dr. next week to make sure everything is progressing the way it should.  I have known for almost 4 weeks now and it has been killing me. 

After talking with the dr. we both agreed it is best if I just keep up on the running and not push my body too hard.  I really want to do a sprint, but I will have the rest of my life to do it!  My goal is to do this race this weekend, then I have a marathon relay in April and then I will stick with 5k's for the rest of the summer. 

Mylissa-we definately should find a race or something to do this summer.  That would be fun!

2011-03-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3391685

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
debbiereid06 - 2011-03-10 10:21 AM

So excited to do a sprint, but it looks like it is going to have to wait until next season because I am PREGNANT!!!!  I am so excited I can hardly stand it.  I am 7 weeks along and get to go to the dr. next week to make sure everything is progressing the way it should.  I have known for almost 4 weeks now and it has been killing me. 

After talking with the dr. we both agreed it is best if I just keep up on the running and not push my body too hard.  I really want to do a sprint, but I will have the rest of my life to do it!  My goal is to do this race this weekend, then I have a marathon relay in April and then I will stick with 5k's for the rest of the summer. 

Mylissa-we definately should find a race or something to do this summer.  That would be fun!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!   That's wonderful news!

2011-03-10 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
oh and to those on facebook, I have not put it out there because I don't want my work to know yet.
2011-03-10 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3391872

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

debbiereid06 - 2011-03-10 11:43 AM oh and to those on facebook, I have not put it out there because I don't want my work to know yet.

congratulations, debbie!  and mum's the word on FB!!  so happy for you!

2011-03-10 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
mylissa, how are you feeling??  excited?  nervous?  or is disney keeping you too busy to think about your big day!!

2011-03-10 1:22 PM

User image

Upstate NY

Great transition tips!  The only other things I also do is make sure my bike is in the correct gear and make sure my water bottles are open and ready to drink.  (Don’t have to worry about opening them in the bike)

I also make sure to know where I will enter transition after exiting the water and bike. Before I leave for the race start I will physically walk over to where I will enter the transition and make sure I have an idea where my bike is.  Would be easy to get turned around if you entered from a different area then you thought.

2011-03-10 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
debbiereid06 - 2011-03-10 11:21 AM

Debbie.  Congratulations....Happy for you.Cool

2011-03-10 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3392273

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
RobbyN210 - 2011-03-10 2:22 PM

Great transition tips!  The only other things I also do is make sure my bike is in the correct gear and make sure my water bottles are open and ready to drink.  (Don’t have to worry about opening them in the bike)

I also make sure to know where I will enter transition after exiting the water and bike. Before I leave for the race start I will physically walk over to where I will enter the transition and make sure I have an idea where my bike is.  Would be easy to get turned around if you entered from a different area then you thought.

that's a really good tip - to enter the transition area from the same area as you will be entering post-swim and post-bike - to make sure you know where your bike is.  on that same topic, i read in some book that some people choose to count the number of rows back their stuff is to make it easier to find as you enter transition.  does anyone do that or is that overkill?

2011-03-10 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
sorry - yet another newbie question from me regarding transition...  does anyone bring a little basin of water to rinse sand off feet before you hop on bike?  i read that somewhere, too.  thanks!
2011-03-10 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3391570

User image

Expert
Canada
juniperjen - 2011-03-10 10:44 AM

So, any other thoughts on T2 ... Richard, you've been quiet on your own experience with this!

I have been deliberately being quiet.  Trying to get you guys to do the work!  You guys came thru big-time!!!

You, Keri & Robby make excellent points & have basically told the story.  I don't have much to add, but will give some of my "practices".

- I set my transition area same as you folks.  I have a TT bike & I try & put my helmet upside down, straps out, sunglasses in, on the aero bars.  

- I have tri shoes, so getting in is easy & I usually go socked as well.  If I had "easy sockless shoes", I would be tempted to go sockless for a sprint.  There are a few Zoot shoes, that are meant to be sockless, but these, like racing shoes are meant for smaller, lighter runners.  My clydesdale frame, likes more cushion.  Sockless in my Asics, is a slippery mess!

- I don't use bike gloves

- If I do sprint, tend to put Garmin on wrist from Start.  If Oly, the like it on bike & then transfer to wrist at T2.  The small amount if time this takes for an Oly, will not make or break me.  I have greater things to worry about, like pacing & not imploding on the late stages of the run!!

- I don't have much supplemental nutrtion for a sprint.  For an oly, I have 1 gatorade & 1 water if possible.  Tape a couple of gels to bike, but may only use 1.  Most of my nutrition would be on the bike.  for these "short" distances, the run is not that long.  Remember a gel takes 15 minutes to be absorbed.  Taking on in last few miles of bike & the some water to wash it down, will kick in, just as you get running.

- Lock laces are a must for me.  Tri shoes are very easy to get off.  Can "unlatch them" on the bike.  Jam my feet into shoes & cinch them down, & I'm off.  If I sat down to tie shoes, I would probably not be able to get up!!  I am old & stiff!  I change footwear standing if possible!!  

- I also use race belt.  Clip it on at T1 , facing backward for bike & switch to front when run begins.

That's about it...

Richard

PS.  you did not answer about pedal choice...

2011-03-10 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3392622

User image

Upstate NY

kpringle - 2011-03-10 5:11 PM sorry - yet another newbie question from me regarding transition...  does anyone bring a little basin of water to rinse sand off feet before you hop on bike?  i read that somewhere, too.  thanks!

I used a basin of water for my first one, but found I didn't really need it.   Plus it was something extra to worry about that took up a lot of room in a limited transition area.

Instead I just keep an extra bottle of water if I need to clean sand/dirt off my feet.  (Very easy to spray some water on my feet if needed)

What does everyone else do?

2011-03-10 7:57 PM

User image

Memphis
debbiereid06 - 2011-03-10 9:21 AM

DEBBIE!!! SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

I used to be a birth doula so babies just make me smile. Great Job keeping your goals in mind while thinking about the new little one. I'm sure Keri can speak to that!

2011-03-10 8:06 PM

User image

Memphis

ABSOLUTE last minute questions...

Ok friends, so here's the 11th hour weather report for Saturday morning in Orlando -

7am: 44 degrees, estimated water temp something like 65-70.

I have a full wetsuit to wear for the swim, and the "other" stuff for the other legs. It will spike up by 8am.

Here is one thing about me: I HATE BEING COLD. you might remember from my previous lake swim in 55-60 degree water - didn't go so well.

I need your cold water tri-tips...how cold is too cold...

And how about warmup? How and what do you do? my inclination is to do a strong running warmup before I get the wetsuit on, to try to get my body temp up...thoughts? Do I NEED to warm up on bike too? Get in the water before as well?

Thanks friends!!!

2011-03-10 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3392915

User image

Champion
Calgary
mylissahorrocks - 2011-03-10 7:06 PM

Ok friends, so here's the 11th hour weather report for Saturday morning in Orlando -

I have a full wetsuit to wear for the swim, and the "other" stuff for the other legs. It will spike up by 8am.

Here is one thing about me: I HATE BEING COLD. you might remember from my previous lake swim in 55-60 degree water - didn't go so well.

And how about warmup? How and what do you do? my inclination is to do a strong running warmup before I get the wetsuit on, to try to get my body temp up...thoughts? Do I NEED to warm up on bike too? Get in the water before as well?

Thanks friends!!!

yeah that is cold, no two ways about it. I don't think anything you do prior to getting into the water will help you keep warm and really then you have to get in your suit and stand around anyways waiting for the start. Unless you run in your suit....

So, yeah, cold. I got no ideas. I would say that 60 is a lot warmer than 55 though. I did 12C once, which is about 55. That is cold. Real cold. The kind of cold that ever once and a while you get a rush of cold water in your suit, brrrr.

Guess I am not helping.

It is not that bad though. Try to pull your cap over your ears though to keep cold water from rushing in and out of your head. That drives me crazy.

It will be a blast.

eta: 55F is not too cold.

Edited by BigDH 2011-03-10 8:59 PM
2011-03-10 8:36 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
debbiereid06 - 2011-03-10 8:21 AM

ahhhhh, congrats, that is the best. My wife ran for our first all the way to 8.5 months. She was going to Karate the week before. Labour was a breeze.....lol, well, as breezy as it could be.

Awesome news.

2011-03-10 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3392937

User image

Memphis
BigDH - 2011-03-10 8:31 PM

Thanks friends!!!

yeah that is cold, no two ways about it. I don't think anything you do prior to getting into the water will help you keep warm and really then you have to get in your suit and stand around anyways waiting for the start. Unless you run in your suit.... So, yeah, cold. I got no ideas. I would say that 60 is a lot warmer than 55 though. I did 12C once, which is about 55. That is cold. Real cold. The kind of cold that ever once and a while you get a rush of cold water in your suit, brrrr. Guess I am not helping. It is not that bad though. Try to pull your cap over your ears though to keep cold water from rushing in and out of your head. That drives me crazy. It will be a blast. eta: 55F is not too cold.

Darren. You're not helping

A sad truth is that I'm worried about tanking the swim - I've worked so hard to get a "time" - and nervous that time is going to be screwed by my breathing and shock factor. Oh well. Can't do anything about it now!! I'll be glad just to finish.

2011-03-11 10:11 AM

User image

Memphis

hey friends...

well, seriously considering changing my registration from the tri to the duathlon. Here's where we are at: wind speed right now is around 15 mph steady. its 54, but feels a lot cooler. Record lows tonight are going to drive the water temp down too...and air temp in the am should be around 42-44. I DON'T have appropriate cold-weather clothes for the cycle leg, but if I layer up and don't get in the water I'll probably be fine. ARGH!!!!! Not happy. But will be even less happy if first race is unsuccessful due to cold/wet/etc. Let me know what you guys think...am I being a super big baby???? Current water temp yesterday was 59. Thinking that will come down before tomorrow am with a low of 40 tonight.

2011-03-11 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3392964

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mylissahorrocks - 2011-03-10 10:03 PM

Thanks friends!!!

yeah that is cold, no two ways about it. I don't think anything you do prior to getting into the water will help you keep warm and really then you have to get in your suit and stand around anyways waiting for the start. Unless you run in your suit.... So, yeah, cold. I got no ideas. I would say that 60 is a lot warmer than 55 though. I did 12C once, which is about 55. That is cold. Real cold. The kind of cold that ever once and a while you get a rush of cold water in your suit, brrrr. Guess I am not helping. It is not that bad though. Try to pull your cap over your ears though to keep cold water from rushing in and out of your head. That drives me crazy. It will be a blast. eta: 55F is not too cold.

A sad truth is that I'm worried about tanking the swim - I've worked so hard to get a "time" - and nervous that time is going to be screwed by my breathing and shock factor. Oh well. Can't do anything about it now!! I'll be glad just to finish.

Mylissa - the water will be cold initially - go ahead get in and do a few strokes just to get wet and somewhat acclimated to the water (then as Darren said so helpfully, you're going to have to stand around a bit) but if you're doing a wave start you can usually float around off to the side for a while until they corral you.  I would do the warm up in the wetsuit. It's hard to get on when you're wet or its wet.

One thing i've heard people do is wear two swim caps.  You'll get one you have to wear for the race and then if you have your regular it can keep your head a little warmer.

But as for being cold, you likely won't stay cold. The initial rush of the start should have your adrenaline pumping pretty hard.  And the swim is relatively short - it will be over before you know it and then you have the run into transition to keep you warm.

Swim which ever way works best for you. Most of us aim to start with Freestyle but it could end up being anything that gives you forward motion.  And if you do need to regroup, just go off to the side or find a kayak to hold on to until you've gathered yourself. Most of my first tri was a panicked doggie paddle - hahahaha - true story.

You're gonna rock it!! Best of luck!!

2011-03-11 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3393680

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mylissahorrocks - 2011-03-11 11:11 AM

hey friends...

well, seriously considering changing my registration from the tri to the duathlon. Here's where we are at: wind speed right now is around 15 mph steady. its 54, but feels a lot cooler. Record lows tonight are going to drive the water temp down too...and air temp in the am should be around 42-44. I DON'T have appropriate cold-weather clothes for the cycle leg, but if I layer up and don't get in the water I'll probably be fine. ARGH!!!!! Not happy. But will be even less happy if first race is unsuccessful due to cold/wet/etc. Let me know what you guys think...am I being a super big baby???? Current water temp yesterday was 59. Thinking that will come down before tomorrow am with a low of 40 tonight.

Mylissa - you're talking to a Canadian - hahaha - we know cold! It's really up to you and your comfort level. Just remember the exertion will heat up your body quite a bit - even on the bike.  It really boils down to how much you want to do the tri and not the du!  I know the swim was a big challenge for me and i really wanted to do it.  if you do the tri, pack the warmest post-tri clothes you can so as soon as you finish you can grab that from your family to heat up if you are chilled. 

Oh and I checked the weather and it looks like it will warm up pretty nicely - do the tri!! (seriously, whatever you are comforatable with!)

Edited by juniperjen 2011-03-11 10:20 AM
2011-03-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3393695

User image

Memphis
juniperjen - 2011-03-11 10:19 AM

hey friends...

Mylissa - you're talking to a Canadian - hahaha - we know cold! It's really up to you and your comfort level. Just remember the exertion will heat up your body quite a bit - even on the bike.  It really boils down to how much you want to do the tri and not the du!  I know the swim was a big challenge for me and i really wanted to do it.  if you do the tri, pack the warmest post-tri clothes you can so as soon as you finish you can grab that from your family to heat up if you are chilled. 

Oh and I checked the weather and it looks like it will warm up pretty nicely - do the tri!! (seriously, whatever you are comforatable with!)

thanks Jen, totally still considering it Let me ask you this...here would be the clothing plan - thoughts?

two layer polyester swimsuit plus trishorts under wetsuit (go ahead and laugh now)!!!
Bike - tri shorts, same suit, shirt, and a dri-logic longsleeve, maybe some gloves if I can find them
Run - whatever. If I'm hot I'll throw stuff off and get it later

Should I be thinking about something different for my legs on the bike? If I do the du, I'll go get some running tights or something.

2011-03-11 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3393718

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mylissahorrocks - 2011-03-11 11:31 AM
juniperjen - 2011-03-11 10:19 AM

hey friends...

thanks Jen, totally still considering it Let me ask you this...here would be the clothing plan - thoughts?

two layer polyester swimsuit plus trishorts under wetsuit (go ahead and laugh now)!!!
Bike - tri shorts, same suit, shirt, and a dri-logic longsleeve, maybe some gloves if I can find them
Run - whatever. If I'm hot I'll throw stuff off and get it later

Should I be thinking about something different for my legs on the bike? If I do the du, I'll go get some running tights or something.

Clothing plan sounds perfect for the tri.  I don't think you'll need full tights for the du (should you choose that) - it will be cool but even capris might end up hot.  In general, for running the rule I use for dressing is the 10 degree rule, I am not sure how it translates in F but for running you dress for 10C warmer than you feel when not active and for races, dress for how you'll finish, not the start.   

2011-03-11 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3392964

User image

Champion
Calgary
mylissahorrocks - 2011-03-10 8:03 PM

Thanks friends!!!

Sorry about that. However, the most surprising thing about that water is that once you are in it, it really does not feel THAT cold, it really doesn't. Nothing to be ashamed of being scared. I wasn't scared my first time, but that is probably because I was too stupid to be scared. The shock factor is present, but once you get your head wet and acclimatize, you hardly notice it (except if it rushes into your ears).

Consider speaking to the race director about whether, given the temperature, if you need to be fished out (which you won't), you can still finish the race.
2011-03-11 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3393782

User image

Memphis
thanks guys so much. You are really helpful!!!! I'll check in later after I get in the water today and make a decision. ONE plus - if its that FREAKING cold tomorrow in the air, the water will feel a lot warmer, I guess!!!!!
2011-03-11 2:04 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Mylissa, I also HATE being cold. My general rule is I will not bike if the temp is under my age!

The morning of my very first HIM it was 39 degrees! The previous year it was 60 degrees so this was quite a shock. The only change I made was putting on clothes after the siwm. I put my cycling jersey over my tri top, arm sleeves and full cycling gloves. The only thing I took off was the gloves when it warmed up. My T1 time was horrible because I was putting clothes on a wet body but I didn't want to be miserable.

I say do the race. The good news for me is my bottom was so cold I was comfortable on the bike for the first 40 miles. Dress accordingly and you'll do just fine.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35