in reply to: #4566053

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-07 11:00 AM
axteraa - 2013-01-06 9:40 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-07 10:33 AM

Hey Arend - for the shin splints, a friend of mine pointed me to ART - specifically for shin splints, you take a tennis ball and roll along the outside of the shin bone (so for the left leg, you would be rolling on the left side of the shin bone, right where it starts to get meaty) as much as you can stand - this made a world of different for me. If you are interested, I'll try to scare up the link to the site.

Thanks!  Were you getting the shin splints along the outside?  Mine is along the inside.

Mine were on the inside as well.

I agree with this.  Also make sure you ice your shins after each run to bring down the swelling.  Rolling with The Stick or a rolling pin will help break up the scar tissue.  If you have to run and your shins are grumpy I have found compression helps a great deal.  You can go with socks or sleeves but the compression will hold everything together so less friction on the facia.

2013-01-07 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4566056

Master
Northern IL
GoFaster - 2013-01-07 11:01 AM
axteraa - 2013-01-07 11:35 AM

I hear ya Rusty, that mind set drives me bonkers!  I understand the thought process but I think it's a bit short sighted.  As you said, there are so many advantages to coming out of the water fresh!  If you can get yourself out of the water ahead of the big packs you get less crowding (in the change tents, on the bike etc).  My wife took pics of the difference between what I experienced from the run out of the water to T1 vs those that came out with the masses - I had the place almost to myself!  

I swam almost 4x per week lst year during race season - my most ever.  I wasn't much faster out of the water, but I was stronger on the bike and run.  I put that down to having spent more time training in the pool.  Plan this year is to increase the volume on individual swim days - I was limited by swimming only at lunch last year, but this year I'll have to suck it up and get going in the mornings once the gym opens.  No excuses for keeping the workouts short.

I could see this showing up in long course quite noticeably, and early last season finally realized just how little I was getting better in the pool with what I had been doing. The bike was getting better, but the run wasn't. Training numbers yes, but not in the race. Training sims were going well, but was dragging in the race. So many people say that last line and jump to more bricks or something else as the answer. The biggest difference is the swim beforehand. I kind of knew it before, but it really hit home after Quassy to where I made some substantial changes as the winter work hadn't really done much. I don't think it's a coincidence that my best HIM run (by far) was in the race where the swim was cancelled.

Maybe suggest attempting a 2 x 20 or threshold run after a hard swim to show the point. They're just not going to go well.

That said, I do appreciate the head start.  

Please stay to the right on the bike. Wink

2013-01-07 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4566176

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
brigby1 - 2013-01-07 12:48 PM
GoFaster - 2013-01-07 11:01 AM

I hear ya Rusty, that mind set drives me bonkers!  I understand the thought process but I think it's a bit short sighted.  As you said, there are so many advantages to coming out of the water fresh!  If you can get yourself out of the water ahead of the big packs you get less crowding (in the change tents, on the bike etc).  My wife took pics of the difference between what I experienced from the run out of the water to T1 vs those that came out with the masses - I had the place almost to myself!  

I swam almost 4x per week lst year during race season - my most ever.  I wasn't much faster out of the water, but I was stronger on the bike and run.  I put that down to having spent more time training in the pool.  Plan this year is to increase the volume on individual swim days - I was limited by swimming only at lunch last year, but this year I'll have to suck it up and get going in the mornings once the gym opens.  No excuses for keeping the workouts short.

I could see this showing up in long course quite noticeably, and early last season finally realized just how little I was getting better in the pool with what I had been doing. The bike was getting better, but the run wasn't. Training numbers yes, but not in the race. Training sims were going well, but was dragging in the race. So many people say that last line and jump to more bricks or something else as the answer. The biggest difference is the swim beforehand. I kind of knew it before, but it really hit home after Quassy to where I made some substantial changes as the winter work hadn't really done much. I don't think it's a coincidence that my best HIM run (by far) was in the race where the swim was cancelled.

Maybe suggest attempting a 2 x 20 or threshold run after a hard swim to show the point. They're just not going to go well.

Boom! ROTFL!

2013-01-07 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4566242

User image

TankBoy - 2013-01-07 8:15 AM

Boom! ROTFL!

Double BOOM!  HAHAHA

Edited by tri808 2013-01-07 12:36 PM
2013-01-07 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

On a more serious note, I do plan to swim a lot more this year.  Maybe 30-50% more.  I still do have a chunck of room for improvement, but my reasons for doing so are to be fresher coming out of the water, and also it's great low impact cardio to help me lose weight.  I already plan to bike and run quite a bit...so my legs can only take so much.
2013-01-07 1:02 PM

User image

Expert

Does anyone ever feel like it doesn't matter how hard you work.. it still feels like crap?

I'm not trying to have a pity party or looking for encouragement. I work as hard as I can, and overall I feel good about what I'm doing, but but sometimes it feels like nothing is ever enough. 

Does anyone ever feel a bit like a gerbil on the wheel?

2013-01-07 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4566360

User image

Elite
Ontario
KateTri1 - 2013-01-07 2:02 PM

Does anyone ever feel like it doesn't matter how hard you work.. it still feels like crap?

I'm not trying to have a pity party or looking for encouragement. I work as hard as I can, and overall I feel good about what I'm doing, but but sometimes it feels like nothing is ever enough. 

Absolutely - especially when I swim.  It's a constant struggle, and like I said above, it's hard to see noticeable improvements from workout to workout, but I've seen the end result, and that makes me keep going back for more.

A good plan is to sometimes look back - not over a short period, but a longer period - say a few months.  Are you SBR'ing at the same level, or can you actually see some improvements that were hidden when only looking back in the short term?  One of my big motivators is to review previous races and see if/when I've made improvements - and se what i was doing in training at the time.

Sometimes you do need to switch things up to kickstart the improvements, and also to add a litle spice to the training.  Tried and true sometimes get dull and boring.

2013-01-07 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4566386

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
GoFaster - 2013-01-07 2:14 PM

Absolutely - especially when I swim.  It's a constant struggle, and like I said above, it's hard to see noticeable improvements from workout to workout, but I've seen the end result, and that makes me keep going back for more.

A good plan is to sometimes look back - not over a short period, but a longer period - say a few months.  Are you SBR'ing at the same level, or can you actually see some improvements that were hidden when only looking back in the short term?  One of my big motivators is to review previous races and see if/when I've made improvements - and se what i was doing in training at the time.

Sometimes you do need to switch things up to kickstart the improvements, and also to add a litle spice to the training.  Tried and true sometimes get dull and boring.

Or the flip side of this is to just look at one day. Today. Find the joy in today and don't worry about the long term or the goal or whatever. Have fun.

2013-01-07 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4566294

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
tri808 - 2013-01-07 2:35 PM

TankBoy - 2013-01-07 8:15 AM

Boom! ROTFL!

Double BOOM!  HAHAHA

I'm good at staying to the right.  In Mont Tremblant I practised riding on the white line when I could.

2013-01-07 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4566066

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
KeriKadi - 2013-01-07 1:05 PM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-07 11:00 AM
axteraa - 2013-01-06 9:40 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-07 10:33 AM

Hey Arend - for the shin splints, a friend of mine pointed me to ART - specifically for shin splints, you take a tennis ball and roll along the outside of the shin bone (so for the left leg, you would be rolling on the left side of the shin bone, right where it starts to get meaty) as much as you can stand - this made a world of different for me. If you are interested, I'll try to scare up the link to the site.

Thanks!  Were you getting the shin splints along the outside?  Mine is along the inside.

Mine were on the inside as well.

I agree with this.  Also make sure you ice your shins after each run to bring down the swelling.  Rolling with The Stick or a rolling pin will help break up the scar tissue.  If you have to run and your shins are grumpy I have found compression helps a great deal.  You can go with socks or sleeves but the compression will hold everything together so less friction on the facia.

Yup, lots of ice and using compression sleeves seems to help.  I'll have to get out the foam roller and tennis ball as well (if I ever get out of airport hell)

2013-01-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4566458

User image

Payson, AZ
cdban66 - 2013-01-07 12:49 PM

Or the flip side of this is to just look at one day. Today. Find the joy in today and don't worry about the long term or the goal or whatever. Have fun.

This kind of is more to where I lean.  I'm just a hack playing at this game.  And I am a hack that's getting older.  I enjoy the day to day training and I like to push myself and honestly I don't get hung up in the numbers and the improvements and the what not.  When they happen I take joy in that as well (especially swimming) but when things are a little more slow moving or I feel a day is particularly hard I don't really get too concerned about it. 

2013-01-07 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4566360

User image

Veteran

Hang in there!...As Greg LeMond said: It never gets easier, you just go faster!

- Brian

2013-01-07 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

I opten to rest yesterday, PF was lingering so decided to give it a rest.  Thought maybe a run this morning...NOT, didn't get to bed until 12:30 AM.  But did get to the pool at lunch and had a good swim.  I did a set of 200's and I cam in under 2:55 for all of them.  That may be the first time I've ever done that.  We've done sets in our masters groups, I just done remember what my times were.  I'll try to make cycle class tonight, may make it a brick and run 3-4 miles afterwards.

Holidays are over, game on peeps!

2013-01-07 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4566520

User image

Veteran

Anyone use Strava Run for their run data?  I do not understand the elevation change data.  It simply shows up as a whole number, such as 33, or -18.

Anyone know how to translate this?

I have what I think is a hilly run route, but don't know how to quantify with Strava.

2013-01-07 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4566516

User image

bzgl40 - 2013-01-07 12:12 PM
cdban66 - 2013-01-07 12:49 PM

This kind of is more to where I lean.  I'm just a hack playing at this game.  And I am a hack that's getting older.  I enjoy the day to day training and I like to push myself and honestly I don't get hung up in the numbers and the improvements and the what not.  When they happen I take joy in that as well (especially swimming) but when things are a little more slow moving or I feel a day is particularly hard I don't really get too concerned about it. 

This.  Training is just like life...  well I guess it is just life.  You'll have good days and bad days.   Hopefully the good outweight the bad, but ultimately the ability to be out there - running, swimming, biking, skiing, paddling, boarding, heck, just walking - is a blessing (coming from a totally non-religious person).

On those days my motto is FIDO (forget it, drive on)

2013-01-07 3:08 PM

User image

So today I start my training program with a coach, leading to PRs in HIM and IM distance.  The first day's planned workout:

Rest Day

Hmmmm     

(j/k, it was set up this way and I had a good great weekend)

2013-01-07 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4565741

User image

axteraa - 2013-01-07 7:19 AM
TriAya - 2013-01-07 10:57 AM 

Yes, have someone poke you in the soleus. Laughing

Genuinely curious--who did the diagnosis, and do you have any pain/tightness behind the knee or down the Achilles as well?

The initial diagnosis was made by Dr Google aided by my wife.  After that, I was in to see my Osteopath and she also said shin splints (without me mentioning it).  She worked on my leg for about 45 mins and said it seemed to be the Soleus.  Initially she suspected Tib anterior as well but after working on it, it seemed fine.

Absolutely no pain or tightness behind the knee or in the Achilles area - it's very localized to a small area along the inside of the leg and doesn't hurt at all when I run - I'm just aware of it.  It is occasionally tender to touch in that area afterwards.

I had shin splints early on and was advised by a very good runner to try to increase my cadence.   Worked on that and they have not (knock wood) returned

2013-01-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4566633

User image

Payson, AZ
ChrisM - 2013-01-07 2:08 PM

So today I start my training program with a coach, leading to PRs in HIM and IM distance.  The first day's planned workout:

Rest Day

Hmmmm     

That's my kind of coach.  did you decide to go the coach route because of the IM or you just wanted to see if you could really stretch your results this year after such a great year last year?

2013-01-07 3:11 PM

User image

NC
ChrisM - 2013-01-07 4:08 PM

Rest Day

Did they prorate the fee?

2013-01-07 3:22 PM

Master
, California
ChrisM - 2013-01-07 1:08 PM

Rest Day

Hmmmm     

Heh I started with a coach this year to just try to get back to where I was before my injury.

Looking like I lost about 50 watts.  Ouch.

2013-01-07 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4566637

User image

bzgl40 - 2013-01-07 1:10 PM
ChrisM - 2013-01-07 2:08 PM

Rest Day

Hmmmm    :

That's my kind of coach.  did you decide to go the coach route because of the IM or you just wanted to see if you could really stretch your results this year after such a great year last year?

A little of both?  I want to see how much run potential I have, but need someone to reign me in at times.  In the words of my friend just yesterday, "see? there you go again, overdoing it....."

Looking like I lost about 50 watts.  Ouch.

It will come back, didn;t you have some lung injury as well?

Edited by ChrisM 2013-01-07 3:26 PM

2013-01-07 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4566639

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Goosedog - 2013-01-07 4:11 PM
ChrisM - 2013-01-07 4:08 PM

Rest Day

Did they prorate the fee?

Ha! Ha! My coach actually writes my workouts for free, but charges for the rest/recovery days, because they are the ones that are most important. Seriously, I don't think coaching is for everyone, but the best thing mine has done is to slow me down, make sure that my easy days are easy enough (which allows my hard days to be hard enough) and make sure I get the appropriate warm up, cool down, active recovery and rest. If only I had of known 20 years ago, youth is wasted on the young, I coulda been a contenda, etc, etc.

2013-01-07 4:55 PM

User image

Seattle

I'm seriously considering doing the Oly Distance AG National Championships in August. I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of all this bike suffering you people speak of Wink hence my question the other day.

2013-01-07 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4566827

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Asalzwed - 2013-01-07 4:55 PM

I'm seriously considering doing the Oly Distance AG National Championships in August. I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of all this bike suffering you people speak of Wink hence my question the other day.

You need to stop talking about it and just do it.  You'll do great.  You're already getting some good rides in there.  After Boston you'll be able to focus more on the bike.  Use cycling as your cross training as you already are, then hammer the bike after Boston.  Oh yeah, swim a little too......

2013-01-07 5:00 PM

User image

Champion
Tired today. Just eating dinner and then going to bed. Only two hours of sleep last night because I waited (along with some other people) for 2 hrs to get our oversized luggage to be told "whoops...we actually left it all in Maui"...so ya... No bike prob until Thursday or Friday by the time they get it to my house.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190