BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-20 12:59 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!
Thanks for all the positive race comments everyone!

Fred- I hope you get better!

2013-05-20 3:05 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Congrats to those who raced.

Fred, sorry to hear about the back. It must be really furstrating, but hang in there.

2013-05-20 3:52 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Fred - I'm hoping you get good news from the doctor. Back pain is miserable. Hopefully it doesn't derail your season.

Steve
2013-05-20 10:32 PM

User image

Expert

Matt- Congrats on the PR on a challenging course!

Steve- Nice job on your marathon with an excellent time even with your long pit stop.

Marshal- Sounds like a great day with the kids. Gets me really looking forward to grandchildren.

Matt- Sub 20 min. 5K. Very impressive!

Very good race for me. American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course and I was first in my AG: Men 55-59. OK, so there were only 2 of us, but I still had a good race. Weather was sketchy with temps in the mid 50's and light rain and some fog, but luckily not much wind. The run is a challenging trail run with 1200 ft. of climbing in only 5 miles. My 7th time here and I've found it best to power hike some of the steepest spots, and then let it rip on the downhills. The bike is also tough with 3100 ft. of climbing in 29 miles and some descents that are a little hairy for me even in good weather.

I didn't know who the guy in my AG was, but it turns out we were close the whole race. I first saw him on the first climb on the bike where I passed him. He passed me back on the following descent, and then I passed him again on the next climb, so of course he passed me on the next descent. I need to work on my descending. I didn't see him again until the last mile of the bike and he was about a quarter of a mile ahead of me. He was a couple hundred yards ahead of me starting the 2nd run and I was determined to catch him. Passed him within the first mile, opened up a nice lead, and was able to finish strong. 

This was my first race on my new bike (Kestrel 4000) and I was very pleased. She climbs very well and handles really well. Even though you climb 500 ft. in the last 2 miles on the bike my legs felt nice and springy when I started the 2nd run which was definitely a first at this race.

It's a small race and I always chat briefly with the RD before and after, and he made me laugh when he gave me my beer mug/trophy. As he handed it to me he said, "I didn't know you were that old". I'll take it as a compliment.

Here's some pics. This is me at the end of the bike:

American Zofingen & Iron TT 2013

The next 2 are not me, but give an idea of the conditions. The run course isn't all like this. Some is smoother, but some is even rougher:

American Zofingen & Iron TT 213

This is the top of the first climb on the bike. I almost wished I had left the lights on my bike.

American Zofingen & Iron TT

Sorry for the long post. I should have saved it for the RR. Hope the pictures show up OK. I'm having a little trouble with the site upgrade.

2013-05-20 11:16 PM
in reply to: amschrod

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by amschrod

Very good race for me. American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course and I was first in my AG: Men 55-59. OK, so there were only 2 of us, but I still had a good race. Weather was sketchy with temps in the mid 50's and light rain and some fog, but luckily not much wind. The run is a challenging trail run with 1200 ft. of climbing in only 5 miles. My 7th time here and I've found it best to power hike some of the steepest spots, and then let it rip on the downhills. The bike is also tough with 3100 ft. of climbing in 29 miles and some descents that are a little hairy for me even in good weather.

Holy smokes!  That's a tough race!  Great job, man.  Awesome pictures, too.  Looks like a ton of fun.
2013-05-21 6:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Sorry for the long post. I should have saved it for the RR. Hope the pictures show up OK. I'm having a little trouble with the site upgrade.

No apologies needed - that was awesome! I loved the pics. Looked like a tough race, and congrats on the fantastic result in some dodgy (or excellent, depending on your perspective, I suppose) conditions!

Matt

2013-05-21 7:35 AM

User image

NC
Awesome! AmZof is one of the few races I think I would actually travel for if I could string together a good couple of years of training. The smack talk for that race on ST is unmatched.

2013-05-21 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Matt- Congrats on the PR on a challenging course!

Steve- Nice job on your marathon with an excellent time even with your long pit stop.

Marshal- Sounds like a great day with the kids. Gets me really looking forward to grandchildren.

Matt- Sub 20 min. 5K. Very impressive!

I didn't know who the guy in my AG was, but it turns out we were close the whole race. I first saw him on the first climb on the bike where I passed him. He passed me back on the following descent, and then I passed him again on the next climb, so of course he passed me on the next descent. I need to work on my descending. I didn't see him again until the last mile of the bike and he was about a quarter of a mile ahead of me. He was a couple hundred yards ahead of me starting the 2nd run and I was determined to catch him. Passed him within the first mile, opened up a nice lead, and was able to finish strong. 

This was my first race on my new bike (Kestrel 4000) and I was very pleased. She climbs very well and handles really well. Even though you climb 500 ft. in the last 2 miles on the bike my legs felt nice and springy when I started the 2nd run which was definitely a first at this race.

It's a small race and I always chat briefly with the RD before and after, and he made me laugh when he gave me my beer mug/trophy. As he handed it to me he said, "I didn't know you were that old". I'll take it as a compliment.

Here's some pics. This is me at the end of the bike:

American Zofingen & Iron TT 2013

The next 2 are not me, but give an idea of the conditions. The run course isn't all like this. Some is smoother, but some is even rougher:

American Zofingen & Iron TT 213

This is the top of the first climb on the bike. I almost wished I had left the lights on my bike.

American Zofingen & Iron TT

Wow, congratulations! That looks like a really tough race especially to this Floridian
2013-05-21 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...

Great race & great pics!!! Congratulations!
2013-05-21 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

Great pix and congratulations!

I've never raced a du - how do you pace that first run?

And I can't even imagine 1200 ft climing in 5 miles on a run. Today I ran for an hour and Garmin says my elevation "climb" was only 3 feet, ha!
2013-05-21 1:27 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Does anyone use recovery/compression tights after a long workout? It seems like my quads are aching more than they ever have. I did a 3 mile recovery run this morning and I'm still sore. I've never used them before and didn't know if they would help or not.

Thanks

Steve

2013-05-21 2:03 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

I have a pair of tights that I'll run in but I've never really worn them after the workout. I'm not sure I really notice a difference wearing them. I wear them when I'm feeling sore etc.
2013-05-21 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by stevesflyshop Does anyone use recovery/compression tights after a long workout? It seems like my quads are aching more than they ever have. I did a 3 mile recovery run this morning and I'm still sore. I've never used them before and didn't know if they would help or not. Thanks Steve

Hmmmm....  So, full disclaimer: I used to be a practicing doc, but am once again now just a business guy (so, NONE of this counts as med advice!!). 

I was super skeptical of the gear, as the literature on it is muddled, at best.  There is some evidence (and also some evidence that counters it) that compression after a workout helps reduce DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness - typically only seen with running, not s/b).  I have heard about, but not read, other studies showing compression while exercising helps with the same and with effort on subsequent days (and heard about data showing absolutely NO effect).

So, I ran an experiement with n=1 (well, maybe n=2, as my wife participated).  I used socks and pants after long runs and bricks (only long ones, or I don't even think about it) and found that my legs just felt better.  I think it might be as much that when I think to use compression, I ALSO think to get off of and elevate my legs.  So, not sure which makes a bigger difference.

Kim recently started running with Zensa calf sleeves on the off chance it might help with some recurring shin splints.  She hasn't gotten any in training for this weekend's HM, so maybe they work.  And, when I switched to Newtons, I did the same - and calves feel OK.  SO, maybe they work. 

Long and short, I have no idea if they actually do anything beneficial, but when I use them I feel better.  So, I use them with the full understanding that they might just be a little bit of voodoo/grigri...  Don't care either way!

YMMV, of course. 

Matt

2013-05-21 2:10 PM
in reply to: kimmax

User image

Master
TORONTO
Okay I have a TOTAL NEWBIE question that is kind of embarrassing to ask but I don't know who else to ask so....

I bought some leg warmers for cycling and I'm just wondering - how high are they supposed to go? Above the knee? Mid thigh? Really high? ha ha. I may have bought the wrong size. I aim to have them go mid thigh but I *could* pull them way up - like WAY up! Mid thigh means they are really wrinkly in the leg.

I'm 5'5" and they said one size fits all but in hindsight my legs are sort of skinny so thinking maybe I should have gotten small.
2013-05-21 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by kimmax Okay I have a TOTAL NEWBIE question that is kind of embarrassing to ask but I don't know who else to ask so.... I bought some leg warmers for cycling and I'm just wondering - how high are they supposed to go? Above the knee? Mid thigh? Really high? ha ha. I may have bought the wrong size. I aim to have them go mid thigh but I *could* pull them way up - like WAY up! Mid thigh means they are really wrinkly in the leg. I'm 5'5" and they said one size fits all but in hindsight my legs are sort of skinny so thinking maybe I should have gotten small.

I actually put mine on before my bib shorts, and I pull them waaaaaay up to my upper thigh (yes, it's quite a site to be wearing just those before pulling on the bib-shorts).  If I don't, they slip down over the course of the ride.

Not sure how, but over my sporting life I've gone from wearing a garter belt and stockings to wearing leg-warmers and spandex (hockey to tri - I'd say I miss my rugby getup, but truth be told I like geeking out on the gear!).  Go figure...

Matt

2013-05-21 3:56 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Matt - thanks for the non-medical medical info. I was aware that I was sore and that walking down stairs was something to be avoided yesterday. The first half mile of my recovery run this morning was a chapter straight out of a torture manual, but it wasn't until my wife said "you're whining more than normal after a marathon" that I really started evaluating just how bad my legs hurt. She's supportive like that.

I will probably give them a try to see if they help with my recovery after my long ride/run days. It can't hurt. I also picked up a foam roller so I'll see if that helps with the soreness. Thanks again,

Steve

2013-05-21 4:00 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
TORONTO
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by kimmax Okay I have a TOTAL NEWBIE question that is kind of embarrassing to ask but I don't know who else to ask so.... I bought some leg warmers for cycling and I'm just wondering - how high are they supposed to go? Above the knee? Mid thigh? Really high? ha ha. I may have bought the wrong size. I aim to have them go mid thigh but I *could* pull them way up - like WAY up! Mid thigh means they are really wrinkly in the leg. I'm 5'5" and they said one size fits all but in hindsight my legs are sort of skinny so thinking maybe I should have gotten small.

I actually put mine on before my bib shorts, and I pull them waaaaaay up to my upper thigh (yes, it's quite a site to be wearing just those before pulling on the bib-shorts).  If I don't, they slip down over the course of the ride.

Not sure how, but over my sporting life I've gone from wearing a garter belt and stockings to wearing leg-warmers and spandex (hockey to tri - I'd say I miss my rugby getup, but truth be told I like geeking out on the gear!).  Go figure...

Matt

Okay thanks! That makes me feel better. I kind of felt like I should be putting on hosiery vs. cycling warmers the way I was doing it!!!
2013-05-21 5:49 PM

User image

Expert
Anthony: love the pics. Well done!
2013-05-21 6:14 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-21 6:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-21 8:56 PM

Expert

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better Fred. I can only echo the words of others and wish you quick healing.

Hugs. 

2013-05-21 9:30 PM

New user

Hope everyone is doing well.
I have been a bit busy lately. Help volunteer at a bike aid station for Ironman Texas. (Handing off water bottles is definately an art.) It was amazing to see all the people, and those at the end especially when the humidity and heat was just brutal. My heart went out to one man who stopped at our aid station to ask to see the medic. He was feeling a bit dizzy and mentioned he was kicked in the head during the swim. Needless to say the medic pulled him from the race due to having the symptoms of a concussion. You train so hard and something out of your control ends your race.
I heard that the DNF for the race this year was 15.5% (up from 11% last year). The weather was the worse in years. IM Texas is always hot and humid but it was record highs for this race.
So Saturday was my day off. Sunday a short ride (19 miles). Pool swim on monday morning and this morning was the first try at going to work early and taking my bike with me and biking in a nearby neighborhood (5 mile hilly loop). I did the loop twice but in the future I will probably due a three loop and then either run around the building at work after or on the treadmills in the workout room at work (did some strength training today after to cool down before showering and changing for work.)
This ride was also the first time I have every exceed the speed limit on my bike. 31.1 mph in a 30 mph zone. Slowed down the 2nd time around.

Run or elliptical tomorrow morning(hamstring and knee are still not 100%) and hopefully OWS practice after work. Next tri is a sprint (w/600m OWS), yikes!

So is swimming always such a struggle or does it finally click? I am taking lessons but it is always so hard and it just seems like I have to try so hard and have to plow through the water vs glide. This leg of the tri is my weakest and really for me the most important to become efficient at. I am not worried about fast (if I can get 2 - 2:15 min/100m I would be very happy, currently 2:30-2:40/100 m) If I want to even think about the HIM I have to figure out the swim. Bike - no problem to get the distance between now and October, and I have done a 1/2 marathon before (doing a walk/run).
Swimming suggestions?
2013-05-21 10:04 PM

Expert

Good to hear you are feeling better, Fred.

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. They are greatly appreciated. Starting off the season well has me extra psyched for training and racing.

Ann Marie, all races have their challenges. For me, racing in Florida would be really really tough. Heat slows me down quite a bit, and I prefer hillier courses.

Melissa, I do a couple of dus every year, and the pacing can be difficult. For me I run the first run a little slower than I would a stand alone run. So say if it's 5K my pace would be closer to 10K pace, plus definitely no sprint at the end. Don't want to get to T1 completely out of breath!

Keep up the great work everybody!

2013-05-22 6:06 AM
in reply to: Philothea0806

Champion
Originally posted by Philothea0806

So is swimming always such a struggle or does it finally click? I am taking lessons but it is always so hard and it just seems like I have to try so hard and have to plow through the water vs glide. This leg of the tri is my weakest and really for me the most important to become efficient at. I am not worried about fast (if I can get 2 - 2:15 min/100m I would be very happy, currently 2:30-2:40/100 m) If I want to even think about the HIM I have to figure out the swim. Bike - no problem to get the distance between now and October, and I have done a 1/2 marathon before (doing a walk/run).
Swimming suggestions?

I'm in the same place as you (swimming slower than I would like and taking lessons) - things are definitely starting to click, but I have a lot of hard work ahead of me (says my coach...) Now that I'm starting to swim like a swimmer (vs. a flailing disaster), I need to finally work on my swim-specific fitness. But it will click at some point - keep working at it.
2013-05-22 6:06 AM

Champion
Glad things are looking up, Fred.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51