BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-10-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2466868

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
dalessit - 2009-10-19 12:48 PM Cool site

http://analyticcycling.com/

They have a model there for various changes you can make to your bike and setup and will tell you how much time it will add or subtract from your race.

Geeky yes but neat nonetheless.

Neat to see how little your speed goes up by adding weight vs. how much it goes down by just adding 10 watts to the ride (2.6 seconds slower for 3lbs over a 4k TT and 10 seconds faster for 10 more watts over a 4k TT)

very geeky.  My hubby will love it.

I just realized there are days I spend more time chit chatting with my "virtual" friends than I do live people at work.  Man I need a life.  Off to PT for some good pain.

2009-10-19 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2466890

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tahrens - 2009-10-19 12:58 PM

They have a model there for various changes you can make to your bike and setup and will tell you how much time it will add or subtract from your race.

Neat to see how little your speed goes up by adding weight vs. how much it goes down by just adding 10 watts to the ride (2.6 seconds slower for 3lbs over a 4k TT and 10 seconds faster for 10 more watts over a 4k TT)

I just realized there are days I spend more time chit chatting with my "virtual" friends than I do live people at work.  Man I need a life.  Off to PT for some good pain.

We're much cooler than real people...  We all speak the same language.
2009-10-19 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2466636

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ashort33 - 2009-10-19 9:06 AM

Trevor - just 3 more days on the sig line - enjoy it while you can.... 

Sorry what??

That Canadian TrevorC pwned me! I ran my mouth faster than I ran my triathlon and he beat me like a red-headed step-kid...
2009-10-19 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2466897

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-10-19 11:01 AM
tahrens - 2009-10-19 12:58 PM

We're much cooler than real people...  We all speak the same language.

I was just having a chat about this with my wife last night. Talking about coming down to Lonestar,etc,etc.
In-laws were over and she was telling about me going tdown to Texas to meet some 'internet friends.'
2009-10-19 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2467058

User image

Expert
B'ham
TrevorC - 2009-10-19 11:12 AM
ashort33 - 2009-10-19 9:06 AM

Trevor - just 3 more days on the sig line - enjoy it while you can.... 

Sorry what??

That Canadian TrevorC pwned me! I ran my mouth faster than I ran my triathlon and he beat me like a red-headed step-kid...

You could put the inverse as your sig line for as long as you want
2009-10-19 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey guys!  First of all - Doug, thanks for the pen.  It arrived over the weekend.  Very nice!

It turned out to be a good weekend in our household.  My daughter's XC team did very well in their conference meet on Friday afternoon.  Their school took first place in 3 of the 4 divisions and my daughter set another new PR for the 5k.  Now it's on to districts next weekend.  Saturday morning I ran a 10k and set a new PR also - and took 2nd in my AGSmile.  The run felt so easy (totally flat course helped with that). 

I've been starting to look at my calendar for 2010.  I would like to do a couple of sprint tri's and possibly one Oly (if the training keeps up) along with a spring half marathon, possibly a fall half marathon and some shorter running races mixed in.  I like doing tri's but I don't know that I'll ever get to the point where I do more of those than I do running races.  Seems kind of the opposite of what most of you guys do but I guess I'm still just a runner at heart.  Who knows though, that may change some day.

So a question for you.  This is in regards to my spring half marathon but it could apply to any type of race, I guess.  I'm trying to decide between 2 races.  The Little Rock half is at the beginning of March and would be an out-of-town race for me.  Go!St Louis is mid-April and would be local.  Registration is the same for either if I register before Nov 1st.  There would be some travel costs associated with Little Rock but they would be minimal since I have family there that I could stay with.  From what I can tell, the courses are similar - hilly but manageable with the right training.  Little Rock is the one that I would really like to do but my concern is the weather at that time of the year.  Not for the race itself - I'm more afraid of a late-winter snowstorm coming in and preventing me from getting there.  The issue with Go!St Louis is that if my daughter makes the soccer team at school again this year, it could cause a conflict.  I was registered for this race in 2009 and had to back out because of a fundraiser for the soccer team that parents were expected to help out at (not that I minded helping out but why did it have to be scheduled for that particular weekend?).  I know that I can't predict what's going to happen and I'll be taking my chances with either one, I just don't know which to register for (unfortunately doing both is not an option).  I also know that no one else can make the decision for me.  I think I'm going to go with Little Rock.  It's the one I really want and I can always do the other next year.  Thanks for letting me talk this out - it helped!

2009-10-19 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2467419

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
soccermom15 - 2009-10-19 2:38 PM

Hey guys!  First of all - Doug, thanks for the pen.  It arrived over the weekend.  Very nice!

It turned out to be a good weekend in our household.  My daughter's XC team did very well in their conference meet on Friday afternoon.  Their school took first place in 3 of the 4 divisions and my daughter set another new PR for the 5k.  Now it's on to districts next weekend.  Saturday morning I ran a 10k and set a new PR also - and took 2nd in my AGSmile.  The run felt so easy (totally flat course helped with that). 

I've been starting to look at my calendar for 2010.  I would like to do a couple of sprint tri's and possibly one Oly (if the training keeps up) along with a spring half marathon, possibly a fall half marathon and some shorter running races mixed in.  I like doing tri's but I don't know that I'll ever get to the point where I do more of those than I do running races.  Seems kind of the opposite of what most of you guys do but I guess I'm still just a runner at heart.  Who knows though, that may change some day.

So a question for you.  This is in regards to my spring half marathon but it could apply to any type of race, I guess.  I'm trying to decide between 2 races.  The Little Rock half is at the beginning of March and would be an out-of-town race for me.  Go!St Louis is mid-April and would be local.  Registration is the same for either if I register before Nov 1st.  There would be some travel costs associated with Little Rock but they would be minimal since I have family there that I could stay with.  From what I can tell, the courses are similar - hilly but manageable with the right training.  Little Rock is the one that I would really like to do but my concern is the weather at that time of the year.  Not for the race itself - I'm more afraid of a late-winter snowstorm coming in and preventing me from getting there.  The issue with Go!St Louis is that if my daughter makes the soccer team at school again this year, it could cause a conflict.  I was registered for this race in 2009 and had to back out because of a fundraiser for the soccer team that parents were expected to help out at (not that I minded helping out but why did it have to be scheduled for that particular weekend?).  I know that I can't predict what's going to happen and I'll be taking my chances with either one, I just don't know which to register for (unfortunately doing both is not an option).  I also know that no one else can make the decision for me.  I think I'm going to go with Little Rock.  It's the one I really want and I can always do the other next year.  Thanks for letting me talk this out - it helped!

LITTLE ROCK ALL THE WAY....Don't let a little (potential) thing like weather dictate plans....I'm signing up for the Hypothermic Half in February here. It could be -30F for all I know. We can wear more clothes right?
It'll be fun to do an out-of-town one, and if the in-town one could conflict, i say GO LITTLE ROCK!!
2009-10-19 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
LR for sure.  Don't let weather stand in the way of a race your really want to do!  And its a good opportunity to see family.  Just make sure to wear your finishers medal to the dinner table and ask everyone 10 times each where theirs is.

Also you should be in taper for Lone Star during Go! St.Louis so that won't work. ;-)

edit.  i commented in your RR but congrats again on a great race this weekend!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-10-19 3:52 PM
2009-10-19 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I've considered LR a couple of times, but have yet to pull the trigger.  I think the weather will be fine and if you are into it the Clinton Library would be great to visit.  I'm trying to visit as many Presidential Libraries as possible and think his would be very "interesting".   Definitely go for it!
2009-10-19 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2467592

User image

Champion
marietta
suzy.  the george bush library is in college station.  hour and change from houston.  not sure if you will have time but it's awesome. 
2009-10-19 6:10 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

2009-10-19 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2467664

User image

Extreme Veteran
swbkrun - 2009-10-19 7:10 PMPosted on ST.. Pretty cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gabMYMUsZtw&feature=player_embedded

very cool.. it's pretty interesting to see the different styles between pros.. i noticed that some seem to have a lot of knee bend in their full down stroke (6:00 position) and some with very little. my fitter fooled around with that to see what position worked for me in terms of power and quad usage.. and he was surprised that the thing that worked best for me was little knee bend (i produced the most power for the longest period of time). He said most people he worked with produced more power with more knee bend..
2009-10-19 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2467621

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-10-19 5:33 PM suzy.  the george bush library is in college station.  hour and change from houston.  not sure if you will have time but it's awesome. 

WOW, great idea.  Wonder if I can turn that into staying an extra day??? Wink

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-10-19 7:14 PM
2009-10-20 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2467755

User image

Champion
Morning everyone.

Suzy what do they have at presidential libraries that make them worth visiting?  never been to one.
2009-10-20 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2468241

User image

Champion
marietta
check this out. 

lots of amazing history.  for example.  the theater at the george bush library is lined with framed letters, originals of course, from each president.  its incredible to stand there and read a letter washinton, lincoln, etc... wrote, or at least it is to me. 

houston has a couple of good museums you might be interested in. nothing compared to what you have of course.  here's more.  natural science is cool.  holocaust is incredible on different levels.  and of course we love the zoo.
2009-10-20 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2468312

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-10-20 8:56 AM check this out. 

lots of amazing history.  for example.  the theater at the george bush library is lined with framed letters, originals of course, from each president.  its incredible to stand there and read a letter washinton, lincoln, etc... wrote, or at least it is to me. 

houston has a couple of good museums you might be interested in. nothing compared to what you have of course.  here's more.  natural science is cool.  holocaust is incredible on different levels.  and of course we love the zoo.

LOL, I was planning on hitting some new bars...

2009-10-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2467755

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
SSMinnow - 2009-10-19 8:13 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-10-19 5:33 PM suzy.  the george bush library is in college station.  hour and change from houston.  not sure if you will have time but it's awesome. 

WOW, great idea.  Wonder if I can turn that into staying an extra day??? Wink

Way back in my college days, when I was on the Purdue archery team, I spent a week in College Station for the outdoor nationals (A&M hosted in 1997).  I considered skipping my flight home and just having my wife (fiance at the time) fly down there to live.  What a blast that place was!
Tony, you mention visiting some new bars...College Station has them (or did 12 years ago).
2009-10-20 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2468241

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2009-10-20 7:13 AM Morning everyone.

Suzy what do they have at presidential libraries that make them worth visiting?  never been to one.

I am a politico and like American history although I never got to take it in college because I was a BS and MBA.  It gives me the chance to see what was going on during their reign (e.g Ford pardoning Nixon, Kennedy and the Bay of Pigs, etc) , how they handled it.  You get a decent peak into their lives pre and post Presidency, read letters people (famous and otherwise) wrote to them etc.  We did Fords when I did the Grand Rapids marathon and Kennedy's when we were in Boston the last time.   Both were very different, but very interesting at least to me.
2009-10-20 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I AM OFFICIALLY BORED WITH RUNNING! I'M TIRED OF BEING INJURED, I'M TIRED OF BEING HUNGRY, I'M TIRED OF BEING TIRED!!!   I AM BORED WITH TRAINING AND THIS SEASON HAS BEEN TOO LONG!   I STARTED WITH MY FIRST RACE AT THE BEGINNING OF MAY SO I WAS TRAINING ALL WINTER AND I STILL AM NOT DONE!  ENOUGH ALL READY.  LETS JUST RACE THIS RACE AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Thank you, I feel better now Smile
2009-10-20 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I guess I have a serious question for all you marathon runners.  Put aside the point of my injury for a moment......how important is it (mentally) to break the 20 mile mark on a training run?  Friends keep saying since I've done 18 I'll be fine, but they all have 22 miles as their longest runs.  Granted the are full IM training and I am only donig the marathon, but it is my first so I want to know what to expect.  I've always heard the first 20 miles are easy and the last 10K is the hard part.  If that's so then I think I should at least know what the 20 miles feels like right?   HELP!!!!
2009-10-20 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2468576

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-10-20 10:53 AM I guess I have a serious question for all you marathon runners.  Put aside the point of my injury for a moment......how important is it (mentally) to break the 20 mile mark on a training run?  Friends keep saying since I've done 18 I'll be fine, but they all have 22 miles as their longest runs.  Granted the are full IM training and I am only donig the marathon, but it is my first so I want to know what to expect.  I've always heard the first 20 miles are easy and the last 10K is the hard part.  If that's so then I think I should at least know what the 20 miles feels like right?   HELP!!!!

My 22 miler was one of my best runs so that was good mental prepardness for me.  I think you will be fine.  I think all the tri races gets you more pumped up and knowledgable about what your body is going to do under stress.  (at least this is what I am telling myself...)

Also would you like some cheese to go with that whine, I have some left over from my whine ; )

2009-10-20 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2468585

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-10-20 10:56 AM
tahrens - 2009-10-20 10:53 AM I guess I have a serious question for all you marathon runners.  Put aside the point of my injury for a moment......how important is it (mentally) to break the 20 mile mark on a training run?  Friends keep saying since I've done 18 I'll be fine, but they all have 22 miles as their longest runs.  Granted the are full IM training and I am only donig the marathon, but it is my first so I want to know what to expect.  I've always heard the first 20 miles are easy and the last 10K is the hard part.  If that's so then I think I should at least know what the 20 miles feels like right?   HELP!!!!

My 22 miler was one of my best runs so that was good mental prepardness for me.  I think you will be fine.  I think all the tri races gets you more pumped up and knowledgable about what your body is going to do under stress.  (at least this is what I am telling myself...)

Also would you like some cheese to go with that whine, I have some left over from my whine ; )

Funny food story during my crappy run on sunday I was hungry and was thinking aide station food really sounded good,   orange slices, crackers, pretzels, flat coke.... guess I am ready to race    And I'll take some Gouda, it is sooo gooooda!!
2009-10-20 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2468558

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-10-20 9:45 AM I AM OFFICIALLY BORED WITH RUNNING! I'M TIRED OF BEING INJURED, I'M TIRED OF BEING HUNGRY, I'M TIRED OF BEING TIRED!!!   I AM BORED WITH TRAINING AND THIS SEASON HAS BEEN TOO LONG!   I STARTED WITH MY FIRST RACE AT THE BEGINNING OF MAY SO I WAS TRAINING ALL WINTER AND I STILL AM NOT DONE!  ENOUGH ALL READY.  LETS JUST RACE THIS RACE AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Thank you, I feel better now Smile

Too funny.  Here I am feeling sorry for myself because everyone else is training for a marathon or their last triathlon and I have nothing.  I can't even really do speedwork until this leg is 100%.  Guess the phrase the grass is always greener still applies....

How important is breaking the 20m?  Refresh my memory, is this your first?  If yes, not so important.  You are going hurt during the last 10K whether you did 20m or 24m as your longest long run.   As I progressed as a runner, I did 6-8 long runs all the way up to 26m and I think mentally it helped me stay focused and work hard through fatigue pretty well.  Was it totally necessary to do so many?  Looking back I would say I am not sure, but Tony's coach (and my old one) seemed to think so and I had great results with him.  Don't fret.  You are prepared and you don't want to risk hurting that calf, right?
2009-10-20 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2468576

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
tahrens - 2009-10-20 9:53 AM I guess I have a serious question for all you marathon runners.  Put aside the point of my injury for a moment......how important is it (mentally) to break the 20 mile mark on a training run?  Friends keep saying since I've done 18 I'll be fine, but they all have 22 miles as their longest runs.  Granted the are full IM training and I am only donig the marathon, but it is my first so I want to know what to expect.  I've always heard the first 20 miles are easy and the last 10K is the hard part.  If that's so then I think I should at least know what the 20 miles feels like right?   HELP!!!!

I've done 3 runs around 20m (19.5 the longest) during this round of training.  So I don't think you need to break the 20m mark.  I did one or two during the last marathon plan.

I think it's just as important to get to the start line mentally fresh and physically healthy.  If doing another long run jeopardizes that then IMO it's not worth it.

2009-10-20 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2469097

User image

Elite
san francisco
sdalessio - 2009-10-20 10:48 AM
tahrens - 2009-10-20 9:53 AM I guess I have a serious question for all you marathon runners.  Put aside the point of my injury for a moment......how important is it (mentally) to break the 20 mile mark on a training run?  Friends keep saying since I've done 18 I'll be fine, but they all have 22 miles as their longest runs.  Granted the are full IM training and I am only donig the marathon, but it is my first so I want to know what to expect.  I've always heard the first 20 miles are easy and the last 10K is the hard part.  If that's so then I think I should at least know what the 20 miles feels like right?   HELP!!!!

I've done 3 runs around 20m (19.5 the longest) during this round of training.  So I don't think you need to break the 20m mark.  I did one or two during the last marathon plan.

I think it's just as important to get to the start line mentally fresh and physically healthy.  If doing another long run jeopardizes that then IMO it's not worth it.

I only have 2 20 milers left as my last long run preps, Tracy, and part of the reason for that is that we want to avoid injury.  Yesterday's 18 miles felt long but no pain.  I actually felt like running 8 more would have been doable (at that pace and HR)  I think you have the mental toughness to finish the last 6.2, and especially with your calf, it is not worth it to risk re-injury at this point.  Don't fret about it, you're going to do great!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383