BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-22 6:09 AM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!
Originally posted by stevesflyshop

Does anyone use recovery/compression tights after a long workout? It seems like my quads are aching more than they ever have. I did a 3 mile recovery run this morning and I'm still sore. I've never used them before and didn't know if they would help or not.

Thanks

Steve

I've never used full tights but I have calf sleeves that I wear after long runs (following a wicked bout of calf cramps after a half mary this fall). Maybe they are voodoo, but they seem to ward off some soreness I had before.

2013-05-22 6:54 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
So, my first race (Patriot HIM, Freetown, MA) is coming up in 3 1/2 weeks, and I feel like a kid who is trying to cram for a test he doesn't think he is ready for. No doubt, my training has been not been ideal this spring due to a number of things, but the swim will be fine, bike OK. The run, however may be total misery. I've been fighting a hammy injury since January, and its finally feeling much better, but its limited my run training to the point where my long run to date has been 8 miles, and i've nto had a single week where I've topped 20 mpw running. To save myself a bit of misery, I moved to a 9/1 run/walk strategy on runs which seems to be working for me, and keeps the injury in check.

There's no doubt I'm doing this race, but I'm curious if anyone here has gone into a race knowing they are quite undertrained in one of the sports, and trying to not reinjury something which has been a problem? My race goal is to finish. I did this race last year, but had a bike crash 35 miles in which broke my bike in half (really!) and ended my day, and most of my 2012 season. Thoughts?
2013-05-22 7:58 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by enders_shadow
Originally posted by stevesflyshop Does anyone use recovery/compression tights after a long workout? It seems like my quads are aching more than they ever have. I did a 3 mile recovery run this morning and I'm still sore. I've never used them before and didn't know if they would help or not. Thanks Steve
I've never used full tights but I have calf sleeves that I wear after long runs (following a wicked bout of calf cramps after a half mary this fall). Maybe they are voodoo, but they seem to ward off some soreness I had before.

I use under armor compression shorts after hard rides (I wish I bought the full tights, but hard to sport under a pair of regular shorts).  Agree with everyone, not sure if it works or placebo effect but seem to feel good while they are on and afterwards as well. 

2013-05-22 9:08 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Mike_D So, my first race (Patriot HIM, Freetown, MA) is coming up in 3 1/2 weeks, and I feel like a kid who is trying to cram for a test he doesn't think he is ready for. No doubt, my training has been not been ideal this spring due to a number of things, but the swim will be fine, bike OK. The run, however may be total misery. I've been fighting a hammy injury since January, and its finally feeling much better, but its limited my run training to the point where my long run to date has been 8 miles, and i've nto had a single week where I've topped 20 mpw running. To save myself a bit of misery, I moved to a 9/1 run/walk strategy on runs which seems to be working for me, and keeps the injury in check.

There's no doubt I'm doing this race, but I'm curious if anyone here has gone into a race knowing they are quite undertrained in one of the sports, and trying to not reinjury something which has been a problem? My race goal is to finish. I did this race last year, but had a bike crash 35 miles in which broke my bike in half (really!) and ended my day, and most of my 2012 season. Thoughts?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm racing Vineman 70.3 in July and have literally zero run training due to a knee injury.  I've had to readjust my goals and accept the fact that I'll be walking most/all of the run leg.

My advice would be to not cram too hard!  Increasing your run training too much right now is more likely to result in injury (the old injury or a new one) than get you to where you want to be.  Adjust your goals, accept the fact that you'll have to walk portions of the run, and keep in mind that it basically gives you a guaranteed PR for your next HIM distance (when you will be healthy!). 

2013-05-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Fingers are crossed for a speedy return to the saddle, Fred. Good to see there is a solid plan of action to resolve the issue.

I posted over on Tri Talk about my first HR threshold test as I'm trying to establish training zones on the bike. I'll repost here as I'm guessing this may not be a one-time event and probably will be looking for guidance from our group here. I know this is likely best done inside on a trainer but I don't have that option so it was done outside in the early morning on an isolated stretch of bike path that runs down to SF Bay. Hoped for calm conditions but got gusty winds.  OK, so I did the test today and think I screwed it up.  Here's what the plan was:

Warm-up: 15 min @ zone 1, then 5 min as 30 sec @ zone 4/ 30 sec @ zone 2, then 5 min at zone 2

Main set: 20 min all out test.  Use avg HR from this set to calculate HR
threshold

Cool Down: 10 min @ zone 1Total - 55 min.

At the end of the day, the avg HR during the main set came in at 149 which, when plugged into the calculator gave me my zone information.  Great!  Except that when I looked at the max values for 5c- Power they were 158-163.  Does this in any way correspond with max HR?  If so, I obviously didn't go hard enough on the main set as I've seen higher on hill climbs (OK, not a lot higher, only 169) and WAY lower than my running max HR of 193.  I know that the bike max HR can be lower than running by a fair amount, but 30 bpm? 

Here's what the HR looked like:

LT HR 1

The HR dip at 40 minutes came as a result of a 180 degree turn I had to take on the Bike trail with the ride up to that point being into a gusting wind and the rest of the set with the wind at my back.Never having done this before, I can't interpret all of this to really tell if I actually did it right.  Not having zones established beforehand I did the z2/z4 portion by RPE, and when I did the main set I started hard but not all out as I wanted to be able to maintain the effort for the entire 20 minutes and finish strong.  I accomplished that but am concerned that perhaps I started out the main set holding back too much.

All my HR training has been running related, so that's all I have to relate to (and am biased toward), but for my effort level I feel that my HR should have been higher.  Thoughts?  Guidance?

2013-05-22 11:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by Fred D

I thank everyone for the kind words regarding my back injury. I am much better with mainly back spasm going on. I have a massage tomorrow for 1 hr and then PT with a back guru Thursday. I suspect I will be on the bike next week and swimming but running we will see. I am getting good solid medical advice from the doc, PT etc and won't rush back. Appreciate everything folks and I will work harder to be more present here than I have been for the last few days.

Glad things don't seem serious and you'll be wise with your comeback.

I've been really busy recently and have been trying to keep up as best I can. Things are looking good for my HIM coming up next weekend...just trying to put on the finishing touches.

2013-05-22 2:05 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Fingers are crossed for a speedy return to the saddle, Fred. Good to see there is a solid plan of action to resolve the issue.

I posted over on Tri Talk about my first HR threshold test as I'm trying to establish training zones on the bike. I'll repost here as I'm guessing this may not be a one-time event and probably will be looking for guidance from our group here. I know this is likely best done inside on a trainer but I don't have that option so it was done outside in the early morning on an isolated stretch of bike path that runs down to SF Bay. Hoped for calm conditions but got gusty winds.  OK, so I did the test today and think I screwed it up.  Here's what the plan was:

Warm-up: 15 min @ zone 1, then 5 min as 30 sec @ zone 4/ 30 sec @ zone 2, then 5 min at zone 2

Main set: 20 min all out test.  Use avg HR from this set to calculate HR
threshold

Cool Down: 10 min @ zone 1Total - 55 min.

At the end of the day, the avg HR during the main set came in at 149 which, when plugged into the calculator gave me my zone information.  Great!  Except that when I looked at the max values for 5c- Power they were 158-163.  Does this in any way correspond with max HR?  If so, I obviously didn't go hard enough on the main set as I've seen higher on hill climbs (OK, not a lot higher, only 169) and WAY lower than my running max HR of 193.  I know that the bike max HR can be lower than running by a fair amount, but 30 bpm? 

Here's what the HR looked like:

LT HR 1

The HR dip at 40 minutes came as a result of a 180 degree turn I had to take on the Bike trail with the ride up to that point being into a gusting wind and the rest of the set with the wind at my back.Never having done this before, I can't interpret all of this to really tell if I actually did it right.  Not having zones established beforehand I did the z2/z4 portion by RPE, and when I did the main set I started hard but not all out as I wanted to be able to maintain the effort for the entire 20 minutes and finish strong.  I accomplished that but am concerned that perhaps I started out the main set holding back too much.

All my HR training has been running related, so that's all I have to relate to (and am biased toward), but for my effort level I feel that my HR should have been higher.  Thoughts?  Guidance?

How did you feel after the 20 minute test. In reality, if you have done the test right, you should almost literally fall off your bike, or be in such a dazedy state that the act of putting one foot down takes extreme concentration. You really are digging yourself into a black hole. This is primarily why I don't test too often. It's just not safe to do most of the time (considering traffic, stop signs, etc), and I usually use smaller races or TTs as tests.

That being said, that doesn't mean the test you did is not of value. You can still use this to determine your training zones, but if you ever feel that during training these zones are slightly off, don't be affraid to adjust them accordingly. The goal of these tests is really to give you a ballpark of your fitness. I'd say you're in the ball park.
2013-05-22 2:19 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Originally posted by Mike_D

So, my first race (Patriot HIM, Freetown, MA) is coming up in 3 1/2 weeks, and I feel like a kid who is trying to cram for a test he doesn't think he is ready for. No doubt, my training has been not been ideal this spring due to a number of things, but the swim will be fine, bike OK. The run, however may be total misery. I've been fighting a hammy injury since January, and its finally feeling much better, but its limited my run training to the point where my long run to date has been 8 miles, and i've nto had a single week where I've topped 20 mpw running. To save myself a bit of misery, I moved to a 9/1 run/walk strategy on runs which seems to be working for me, and keeps the injury in check.

If your goal is to finish, and your run training is sub par, you will need to adjust accordingly. There really is no need to cram your run training at this point. Don't even worry about your long run distance because it won't matter. Just focus on running consistantly over the next 3.5 weeks. If that means staying with a 8 mile long run, so be it. Running fitness is more about your total running than any single long run. So don't try to cram in a 12 miler if it means it wrecks your other mid week runs.

As far as race day, know that the effort you put in on the swim and bike will impact your run. Swim easy, bike conservatively, and use your run/walk approach. I wish I could sugar coat your race and say that you might be able to swim and bike to your current abilities and tough it out on the run, but a HIM is no joke, and it will exploit your weaknesses without mercy unless you compensate for them early on. The fact that you have asked about this shows that you have taken the first step in being honest with yourself...the really hard part is executing the race accordingly. We all have egos...
2013-05-22 7:34 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by tri808
How did you feel after the 20 minute test. In reality, if you have done the test right, you should almost literally fall off your bike, or be in such a dazedy state that the act of putting one foot down takes extreme concentration. You really are digging yourself into a black hole. This is primarily why I don't test too often. It's just not safe to do most of the time (considering traffic, stop signs, etc), and I usually use smaller races or TTs as tests. That being said, that doesn't mean the test you did is not of value. You can still use this to determine your training zones, but if you ever feel that during training these zones are slightly off, don't be affraid to adjust them accordingly. The goal of these tests is really to give you a ballpark of your fitness. I'd say you're in the ball park.

With your description, I obviously did not go hard enough, so will have to repeat at some point.  I'm lucky enough to have a bike path that goes by a wetland and out to SF Bay, so early morning is pretty deserted and thus no traffic, stop signs, etc. - just the occasional goose, rabbit, squirrel or snake.  Until then, I think I'll go into the calculator and tweak the result and raise the Avg HR basis by 5 points to get me closer.  Thanks for the feedback!

2013-05-22 7:40 PM

User image

With your description, I obviously did not go hard enough, so will have to repeat at some point.  I'm lucky enough to have a bike path that goes by a wetland and out to SF Bay, so early morning is pretty deserted and thus no traffic, stop signs, etc. - just the occasional goose, rabbit, squirrel or snake.  Until then, I think I'll go into the calculator and tweak the result and raise the Avg HR basis by 5 points to get me closer.  Thanks for the feedback!

It usually takes a few tries before you actually dial it in. Inevitably, you'll do a test where you go too hard and blow up before the 20' is over. But in reality, it's impossible to know what your limit is until you go over it. It's just part of the learning experience.
2013-05-22 11:10 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Now achieving a good Threshold test is a challenge. I like that! It also seems like training is really moving forward and I'm keeping up with it. Today was a 3000 swim and 11.5 mile run with a follow-up 57 mile ride on the Vineman 70.3 course (most of it) tomorrow. I just hope the wind dies down a bit as today during the run it was howling. One gust actually stood me up and brought me almost to a standstill. I felt for those I saw riding into it today.

2013-05-22 11:35 PM
in reply to: Philothea0806

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by Philothea0806 So is swimming always such a struggle or does it finally click? I am taking lessons but it is always so hard and it just seems like I have to try so hard and have to plow through the water vs glide. This leg of the tri is my weakest and really for me the most important to become efficient at. I am not worried about fast (if I can get 2 - 2:15 min/100m I would be very happy, currently 2:30-2:40/100 m) If I want to even think about the HIM I have to figure out the swim. Bike - no problem to get the distance between now and October, and I have done a 1/2 marathon before (doing a walk/run). Swimming suggestions?
You're doing the right thing in taking lessons, but swimming more so than either of the other two disciplines (in my experience) takes a ton of patience.  How long have you been taking lessons?  I'd say keep with it and stay patient.  Swim as much as you reasonably can.  Do you use paddles and a pull buoy at all?  I find that really helps me to work on my glide and stay long and smooth in the water.

Also, in my experience it doesn't just all of a sudden all click. It more comes in the form of minor changes in your stroke that add up over time.  The littlest things can make a big difference, but even the littlest things take a lot of time to click.  But they will, I swear.

2013-05-22 11:37 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
I finally go for my bike fit tomorrow.  Pretty excited about that and hopefully after that I'll be more comfortable on the bike which will lead to more time in the saddle, which is the biggest thing I'm missing right now.
2013-05-23 3:14 AM
in reply to: Philothea0806

User image

Originally posted by Philothea0806

So is swimming always such a struggle or does it finally click? I am taking lessons but it is always so hard and it just seems like I have to try so hard and have to plow through the water vs glide. This leg of the tri is my weakest and really for me the most important to become efficient at. I am not worried about fast (if I can get 2 - 2:15 min/100m I would be very happy, currently 2:30-2:40/100 m) If I want to even think about the HIM I have to figure out the swim. Bike - no problem to get the distance between now and October, and I have done a 1/2 marathon before (doing a walk/run).
Swimming suggestions?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but thats Joe for bumping this back up.

I'm not a great swimmer, but my advice is always to work on form and fitness. I think many beginners work too much on form and not nearly enough on fitness. By fitness I means swimming more yardage, and swimming hard. I know people are afraid of swimming hard if it means your form degrades, but assuming your form is only degrading on the last 25ish yards of your intervals, I don't think that's a problem. The fitness gains you get when swimming to that point are worth it. On top of that, increasing your fitness also increases your form. The act of swimming faster naturally streamlines your body.

So I think you've got the form part covered with coaching. But you can help your fitness by simply getting int he pool as much as possible and working on short intervals. Start with something like 5x50's on 15 second rest and/or 10x25's on 10 seconds rest where you're swimming hard. Swim an easy 100 in between and repeat. As those become more doable, work on moving to 10x50's and 5x100's.

I generally try to include about 1500 yards worth of hard swimming within a 3000 yard workout. If you're currently doing 1500 yard workouts, aim for 500-700 yards of hard swimming. The really good swimmers will do about 2500-3000 yards of hard swimming within a 5000 yard workout.

As far as swimming "clicking," for me it did click at one point, but it was more to do with finally being comfortable in the water and convincing my mind that I wasn't going to drown. Once I got to that point, my brain seemed like it stopped worrying about survival skills, and more about focusing on the workout. You can waste a lot of enegy when your mind is nervous about breathing.
2013-05-23 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Originally posted by Mike_D

If your goal is to finish, and your run training is sub par, you will need to adjust accordingly. There really is no need to cram your run training at this point. Don't even worry about your long run distance because it won't matter. Just focus on running consistantly over the next 3.5 weeks. If that means staying with a 8 mile long run, so be it. Running fitness is more about your total running than any single long run. So don't try to cram in a 12 miler if it means it wrecks your other mid week runs.

As far as race day, know that the effort you put in on the swim and bike will impact your run. Swim easy, bike conservatively, and use your run/walk approach. I wish I could sugar coat your race and say that you might be able to swim and bike to your current abilities and tough it out on the run, but a HIM is no joke, and it will exploit your weaknesses without mercy unless you compensate for them early on. The fact that you have asked about this shows that you have taken the first step in being honest with yourself...the really hard part is executing the race accordingly. We all have egos...

Thank you for this. You are correct -- I'm making peace with the fact that this will not go as I'd hoped it would. Yet, I'm not giving up, and will adjust according. But no doubt that will be hard. My swimming is really taking off and I have some real specific goals for that part of the race, and the bike I had some goals as well. But you are right -- if this is going to end even remotely well, it needs to start from the very start with a conservative plan. I do have another HIM in August where, assuming my healing continues, I could push everything more than in this race.
2013-05-23 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by TTom Now achieving a good Threshold test is a challenge. I like that! It also seems like training is really moving forward and I'm keeping up with it. Today was a 3000 swim and 11.5 mile run with a follow-up 57 mile ride on the Vineman 70.3 course (most of it) tomorrow. I just hope the wind dies down a bit as today during the run it was howling. One gust actually stood me up and brought me almost to a standstill. I felt for those I saw riding into it today.

I'm jealous!  I'm racing Vineman this year as well, but won't get to pre-ride much of the course (will probably drive it the day after I fly in, and might ride a portion of it the day before the race).  I also train in a very flat area, so I'm hoping all the work I'm doing on the trainer, and have previously done on hills, will be sufficient. 

Sounds like you've had a really good week of training -- keep it up!  Hope you have a good ride on the course today!

2013-05-23 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

How did you feel after the 20 minute test. In reality, if you have done the test right, you should almost literally fall off your bike, or be in such a dazedy state that the act of putting one foot down takes extreme concentration. You really are digging yourself into a black hole. This is primarily why I don't test too often. It's just not safe to do most of the time (considering traffic, stop signs, etc), and I usually use smaller races or TTs as tests. That being said, that doesn't mean the test you did is not of value. You can still use this to determine your training zones, but if you ever feel that during training these zones are slightly off, don't be affraid to adjust them accordingly. The goal of these tests is really to give you a ballpark of your fitness. I'd say you're in the ball park.

Personally I've never done a bike LT test on the open road and have only done them on my trainer. IMO the open road is not ideal for LT testing for a wide assortment of reasons. The advantage in doing them on the trainer are: 1) consistent terrain (ie no hills, wind, etc), 2) safety (no cars, animals, people), 3) Comparability in results (because the trainer environment is consistent you can easily compare sessions over the years).

And yes, you should feel pretty bad after doing one of these tests, but don't beat yourself up if you don't. If you feel you pushed "pretty" hard, you can easily use those paces as guidelines in your training for your zones. You may find you can push harder because maybe they are understated, so you can make some micro-adjustments. This is not exact science and on any given day your LT test will never be 100% accurate (even if you pushed to the max) because of such factors as day-to-day fatigue, anxiety, stress-levels, diet, etc.
2013-05-23 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by Philothea0806

So is swimming always such a struggle or does it finally click? I am taking lessons but it is always so hard and it just seems like I have to try so hard and have to plow through the water vs glide. This leg of the tri is my weakest and really for me the most important to become efficient at. I am not worried about fast (if I can get 2 - 2:15 min/100m I would be very happy, currently 2:30-2:40/100 m) If I want to even think about the HIM I have to figure out the swim. Bike - no problem to get the distance between now and October, and I have done a 1/2 marathon before (doing a walk/run).
Swimming suggestions?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but thats Joe for bumping this back up.

I'm not a great swimmer, but my advice is always to work on form and fitness. I think many beginners work too much on form and not nearly enough on fitness. By fitness I means swimming more yardage, and swimming hard. I know people are afraid of swimming hard if it means your form degrades, but assuming your form is only degrading on the last 25ish yards of your intervals, I don't think that's a problem. The fitness gains you get when swimming to that point are worth it. On top of that, increasing your fitness also increases your form. The act of swimming faster naturally streamlines your body.

So I think you've got the form part covered with coaching. But you can help your fitness by simply getting int he pool as much as possible and working on short intervals. Start with something like 5x50's on 15 second rest and/or 10x25's on 10 seconds rest where you're swimming hard. Swim an easy 100 in between and repeat. As those become more doable, work on moving to 10x50's and 5x100's.

I generally try to include about 1500 yards worth of hard swimming within a 3000 yard workout. If you're currently doing 1500 yard workouts, aim for 500-700 yards of hard swimming. The really good swimmers will do about 2500-3000 yards of hard swimming within a 5000 yard workout.

As far as swimming "clicking," for me it did click at one point, but it was more to do with finally being comfortable in the water and convincing my mind that I wasn't going to drown. Once I got to that point, my brain seemed like it stopped worrying about survival skills, and more about focusing on the workout. You can waste a lot of enegy when your mind is nervous about breathing.

Agree with Jason here. The nice thing about swimming is no matter how many days you swim you can go hard in almost every session (at least for some parts of the workout). For me personally, I have found swim training to be the key to my triathlon training because I can do a lot of it and it doesn't beat up by 45 year old body like running does. I'm not a particularly fast swimmer, but have made huge gains in only a couple years of swimming. I mix up my workouts and every "main set" has some hard stuff even if it's short intervals like 10x50 or 10x100. I don't get too bogged down with toys or drill and have found I improve much better with volume and just hard swimming (the type where you finish an interval and are huffing and puffing).
2013-05-23 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Now achieving a good Threshold test is a challenge. I like that! It also seems like training is really moving forward and I'm keeping up with it. Today was a 3000 swim and 11.5 mile run with a follow-up 57 mile ride on the Vineman 70.3 course (most of it) tomorrow. I just hope the wind dies down a bit as today during the run it was howling. One gust actually stood me up and brought me almost to a standstill. I felt for those I saw riding into it today.

Looking forward to seeing race reports from people doing Vineman. I have family in CA and my wife wants me to do that race one of these years (I think her interest has something to do with the vineyards)!
2013-05-23 11:20 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by sbsmann

Personally I've never done a bike LT test on the open road and have only done them on my trainer. IMO the open road is not ideal for LT testing for a wide assortment of reasons. The advantage in doing them on the trainer are: 1) consistent terrain (ie no hills, wind, etc), 2) safety (no cars, animals, people), 3) Comparability in results (because the trainer environment is consistent you can easily compare sessions over the years). And yes, you should feel pretty bad after doing one of these tests, but don't beat yourself up if you don't. If you feel you pushed "pretty" hard, you can easily use those paces as guidelines in your training for your zones. You may find you can push harder because maybe they are understated, so you can make some micro-adjustments. This is not exact science and on any given day your LT test will never be 100% accurate (even if you pushed to the max) because of such factors as day-to-day fatigue, anxiety, stress-levels, diet, etc.

I know a lot of people prefer the trainer for these, but I have to say that this is perhaps the ONLY way in which I'm like Cavendish.  I just can't get the numbers on the trainer that I do on the road.  Not entirely sure why that is, as you'd think it would be easier to ride a constant and higher power in a controlled environment, but I just don't seem to have figured out how to do that.

One benefit (although I admit it's challenging to find a good stretch of road for a 20' non-stop hammerfest) is that I can set my training paces outside based on riding outside.  I know that with all the variety in outdoor riding (terrain, wind, turkeys - both the feathered kind and the kind driving cars), it can be hard to nail numbers if you're not doing a TT, but I figure I can get close enough to apply the right training stress.

I always think about FTP as a way to guage and measure my workouts, not as anything of interest or use in and of itself...

Just my approach.  YFTPMV  

Matt

2013-05-23 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

Originally posted by Philothea0806 So is swimming always such a struggle or does it finally click? I am taking lessons but it is always so hard and it just seems like I have to try so hard and have to plow through the water vs glide. This leg of the tri is my weakest and really for me the most important to become efficient at. I am not worried about fast (if I can get 2 - 2:15 min/100m I would be very happy, currently 2:30-2:40/100 m) If I want to even think about the HIM I have to figure out the swim. Bike - no problem to get the distance between now and October, and I have done a 1/2 marathon before (doing a walk/run). Swimming suggestions?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but thats Joe for bumping this back up. I'm not a great swimmer, but my advice is always to work on form and fitness. I think many beginners work too much on form and not nearly enough on fitness. By fitness I means swimming more yardage, and swimming hard. I know people are afraid of swimming hard if it means your form degrades, but assuming your form is only degrading on the last 25ish yards of your intervals, I don't think that's a problem. The fitness gains you get when swimming to that point are worth it. On top of that, increasing your fitness also increases your form. The act of swimming faster naturally streamlines your body. So I think you've got the form part covered with coaching. But you can help your fitness by simply getting int he pool as much as possible and working on short intervals. Start with something like 5x50's on 15 second rest and/or 10x25's on 10 seconds rest where you're swimming hard. Swim an easy 100 in between and repeat. As those become more doable, work on moving to 10x50's and 5x100's. I generally try to include about 1500 yards worth of hard swimming within a 3000 yard workout. If you're currently doing 1500 yard workouts, aim for 500-700 yards of hard swimming. The really good swimmers will do about 2500-3000 yards of hard swimming within a 5000 yard workout. As far as swimming "clicking," for me it did click at one point, but it was more to do with finally being comfortable in the water and convincing my mind that I wasn't going to drown. Once I got to that point, my brain seemed like it stopped worrying about survival skills, and more about focusing on the workout. You can waste a lot of enegy when your mind is nervous about breathing.

As for having that "click" moment, for me it happened when I figured out breathing. I used to breathe 1, 2, 3, breathe, so it was a 4-count, but then figured out to breathe 1+2+3 breathe, so the breathing was part of the stroke, and for me, swimming became much more relaxed. My second aha moment was when I figured out the high elbow, which I am still working on, but at least now I know what my elbow should be doing!  I am confident your day will come when swimming is not a struggle.

Another story - in July 2012 I did my first HIM (Racine) and I swam it 14 minutes faster than my first Oly in July 2011. So the longer distance took way less time - and that gain happened bc of form & fitness, like Jason suggested. Setting up a swim schedule helped me gain strength and fitness needed for swimming, and getting coached in that year between helped with form.

2013-05-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by sbsmann

Personally I've never done a bike LT test on the open road and have only done them on my trainer. IMO the open road is not ideal for LT testing for a wide assortment of reasons. The advantage in doing them on the trainer are: 1) consistent terrain (ie no hills, wind, etc), 2) safety (no cars, animals, people), 3) Comparability in results (because the trainer environment is consistent you can easily compare sessions over the years). And yes, you should feel pretty bad after doing one of these tests, but don't beat yourself up if you don't. If you feel you pushed "pretty" hard, you can easily use those paces as guidelines in your training for your zones. You may find you can push harder because maybe they are understated, so you can make some micro-adjustments. This is not exact science and on any given day your LT test will never be 100% accurate (even if you pushed to the max) because of such factors as day-to-day fatigue, anxiety, stress-levels, diet, etc.

I know a lot of people prefer the trainer for these, but I have to say that this is perhaps the ONLY way in which I'm like Cavendish.  I just can't get the numbers on the trainer that I do on the road.  Not entirely sure why that is, as you'd think it would be easier to ride a constant and higher power in a controlled environment, but I just don't seem to have figured out how to do that.

One benefit (although I admit it's challenging to find a good stretch of road for a 20' non-stop hammerfest) is that I can set my training paces outside based on riding outside.  I know that with all the variety in outdoor riding (terrain, wind, turkeys - both the feathered kind and the kind driving cars), it can be hard to nail numbers if you're not doing a TT, but I figure I can get close enough to apply the right training stress.

I always think about FTP as a way to guage and measure my workouts, not as anything of interest or use in and of itself...

Just my approach.  YFTPMV  

Matt

Matt,

I definitely see the value in FTP testing outside and ironically, I found I can usually go a bit harder outside than my trainer zones tell me. I think that has something to do with wind & hills & the ability to not have a continuous/constant pressure like you would on a trainer.

I think my underlying reason for not doing them outside really comes down to safety. At the end of one of these rides, I just wouldn't feel like a very "safe" cyclist if you know what I mean
2013-05-23 3:34 PM
in reply to: sbsmann

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-23 3:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-23 9:46 PM

Regular
SF Bay area

Fred, glad to hear the progosis is looking good.  You've probably told a lot of people to not rush back to quickly, now that challenge falls to you!

Did the Vineman 70.3 course ride today.  I'm really glad I did, lots of learning that you don't get from race reports or elevation charts.  Posted a summary of it over on the Vineman 70.3 thread (here) if anyone wants to see how it went and my take on the course.  Found I need to still work on nutrition/hydration a bit, but I'm close as after the ride (which turned out to be ~61 miles) my schedule called for a 20 minute run and I felt pretty good from an energy standpoint at the end of that run.  Granted, 2.3 miles is way different from 13.1, but at least I didn't feel I was starting with a deficit.  I used two bottles of Infinit for the first 2 hours then Stinger waffles for the rest of the way.  Broke the cardinal rule of "No camelbak on a road bike" and am glad I did as there was NO opportunity for buying anything to drink for 95% of the ride. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51