BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-16 8:42 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Poor pookie Br ... Bil ... By .... B-something, brigby ...

He gots crashed and gots a plate in the busted collarbone now.

A week ago, had the ground of a banked turn give out. Front wheel goes and there is not much to do. Shoulder drove right into the ground. Had to put the handle bar back in place but was able to ride/walk the few miles out of the trail. Thought it was going to be a sprain to light tear as this hurt less than something else a few years back. X--ray showed a nice big split if the collar bone with a piece at a funny angle. Took the suggestion of having a plate put in to insure it healed right. No plate would need too much caution & hassle, like x-rays for 8 weeks straight plus not being that sure it would come together. in the surgery it turns out that there were 16 pieces that had to be put back together, so very glad to have both gotten in to see the doctor and had the surgery relatively quickly as the fragments can tear up the tissue. Rehab is going to take some time. Unsure exactly as the damage was worse than believed before surgery. Think it was already a few months before this.

Pain has actually been lower than expected. Surrounding tissue has been worse, stressed from the impact and working hard to hold in place. Kind of fun when something like blowing my nose set off a hard lat cramp.

Oh no! Hope you heal up soon!

2015-11-16 8:51 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

I had a really fun time at my race Saturday; got a little banged up, but that is trail running!  Here's the race report 

2015-11-16 10:55 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

A week ago, had the ground of a banked turn give out. Front wheel goes and there is not much to do. Shoulder drove right into the ground. Had to put the handle bar back in place but was able to ride/walk the few miles out of the trail. Thought it was going to be a sprain to light tear as this hurt less than something else a few years back. X--ray showed a nice big split if the collar bone with a piece at a funny angle. Took the suggestion of having a plate put in to insure it healed right. No plate would need too much caution & hassle, like x-rays for 8 weeks straight plus not being that sure it would come together. in the surgery it turns out that there were 16 pieces that had to be put back together, so very glad to have both gotten in to see the doctor and had the surgery relatively quickly as the fragments can tear up the tissue. Rehab is going to take some time. Unsure exactly as the damage was worse than believed before surgery. Think it was already a few months before this.

Pain has actually been lower than expected. Surrounding tissue has been worse, stressed from the impact and working hard to hold in place. Kind of fun when something like blowing my nose set off a hard lat cramp.

Think the most painful part may actually be dealing with sticky bandages & tape.

2015-11-16 1:53 PM

User image

Seattle

Think the most painful part may actually be dealing with sticky bandages & tape.

Oh crap, Ben!!! I had no idea. You just fly under that radar.

Man. So, you will be busy with rehab. Is any kind of training in the cards?

2015-11-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Getting our first snow in Santa Fe, although the mountains have been getting it for a couple weeks. 

Pretty

2015-11-16 1:58 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

Getting our first snow in Santa Fe, although the mountains have been getting it for a couple weeks. 

Pretty

Nice!  But I am a bit jealous!!

2015-11-16 2:01 PM

User image

Seattle

I really have been meaning to post my bio (yep, 32 pages later...) particularly because I am in a strange place with my racing and training. Maybe I can get some feedback.

When I get a minute I am going to post it. I'm sure I will get that minute soon, right? 

2015-11-16 2:30 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

Ben - wow, sounds nasty and painful.  Heal well and heal quickly!

Glad to hear both Marys are on the mend.

Darren - it was good to hear from ya briefly, hope all is going well.

Chris - sounds like your trip and tour were very fun!

Ann-Marie - uh oh, boo-boos.  Trails have a way of biting people sometimes.  Heal up quickly, I'll check out the RR later.

Janyne - Zoe looks to be keeping you on your toes these days, the adorable little fluff ball that she is!

Uh, now I'm stalling out.  I know there were more people and things to address but I forgot.  Swiss cheese brain, my apologies.  I've been very busy with work, hockey, and organizing/cleaning Dad's house and my own.  There is definitely a lesson being learned as we go through Dad's house as to our own tendencies to hold onto things that really don't need kept.  Not that he or my mom were hoarders, very far from it, but just stuff we come across and say, "Now why did s/he [or they] keep that?"

2015-11-16 2:42 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I didn't have an x-ray pic or anything like that to show. Mostly just looking forward to getting the stitches out next Wednesday. After that is probably a few more weeks still entirely in the sling. Hoping to at least be in a stationary recumbent bike at that time. Therapy will start some time after the stitches are out I believe. Just some very basic motions for now so i don't lose everything. shoulder shrugs, elbow bending, grabbing a ball.

Haven't seen any Dr Stein style creativity. 

(2x15_Sword_of_Destiny_(79).png)

Attachments
----------------
2x15_Sword_of_Destiny_(79).png (943KB - 3 downloads)
2015-11-16 3:11 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I really have been meaning to post my bio (yep, 32 pages later...) particularly because I am in a strange place with my racing and training. Maybe I can get some feedback.

When I get a minute I am going to post it. I'm sure I will get that minute soon, right? 

I was tempted to ask those that know me to write my bio. One sentence each. Could be interesting
2015-11-16 3:47 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I was tempted to ask those that know me to write my bio. One sentence each. Could be interesting

Master of the mini taper is a good start

2015-11-16 4:08 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy Monday!
I think I am this [ ] close to figure out my swimming issues (or rather: front crawl issues). Those damn legs. I am trying to do my best to keep them as close to the border of water and air, but they keep going down. I don't bend my knees, I kick from hips, I have my feet like ballerina, I do the "coin" trick, I don't know what else...

I tried to swim with that fancy foam between my knees and it was extremely helpful. I could just go on and on.... Once I had to use my own awesome legs - I was praying to be back to the wall... Has anyone experienced this whole leg drag and was able to figure it out? Please tell me it is fixable...!

Congrats to all the weekend racers How do you feel today?
Mary
2015-11-16 4:11 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I didn't have an x-ray pic or anything like that to show. Mostly just looking forward to getting the stitches out next Wednesday. After that is probably a few more weeks still entirely in the sling. Hoping to at least be in a stationary recumbent bike at that time. Therapy will start some time after the stitches are out I believe. Just some very basic motions for now so i don't lose everything. shoulder shrugs, elbow bending, grabbing a ball.

The doctors look impressed
2015-11-16 4:20 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83 Happy Monday! I think I am this [ ] close to figure out my swimming issues (or rather: front crawl issues). Those damn legs. I am trying to do my best to keep them as close to the border of water and air, but they keep going down. I don't bend my knees, I kick from hips, I have my feet like ballerina, I do the "coin" trick, I don't know what else... I tried to swim with that fancy foam between my knees and it was extremely helpful. I could just go on and on.... Once I had to use my own awesome legs - I was praying to be back to the wall... Has anyone experienced this whole leg drag and was able to figure it out? Please tell me it is fixable...! Congrats to all the weekend racers How do you feel today? Mary

I hear ya' Mary. My kick was (is) my biggest issue. I started working with a coach at one point who made me do kick sets with a paddle board and no fins. That'll make you work on the effectiveness of the kick.  Mine was a combination of not working enough from the hip and not kicking hard enough. He told me to act like I was kicking a bug off my foot. I don't know that kicking like that all the time is sustainable for me but my kick did improve... until I gave up swimming altogether

2015-11-16 4:36 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Happy Monday! I think I am this [ ] close to figure out my swimming issues (or rather: front crawl issues). Those damn legs. I am trying to do my best to keep them as close to the border of water and air, but they keep going down. I don't bend my knees, I kick from hips, I have my feet like ballerina, I do the "coin" trick, I don't know what else... I tried to swim with that fancy foam between my knees and it was extremely helpful. I could just go on and on.... Once I had to use my own awesome legs - I was praying to be back to the wall... Has anyone experienced this whole leg drag and was able to figure it out? Please tell me it is fixable...! Congrats to all the weekend racers How do you feel today? Mary

I hear ya' Mary. My kick was (is) my biggest issue. I started working with a coach at one point who made me do kick sets with a paddle board and no fins. That'll make you work on the effectiveness of the kick.  Mine was a combination of not working enough from the hip and not kicking hard enough. He told me to act like I was kicking a bug off my foot. I don't know that kicking like that all the time is sustainable for me but my kick did improve... until I gave up swimming altogether

I know Yanti had saved one of the dumbest looking videos another had posted on this (chickens & wacky props), but it does work. The sinking is more balance and core use to fix. Feels really weird & awkward at first but need to learn how to use the core correctly to accomplish this. Legs are to drive rotation and can be used for propulsion at times. Shouldn't be so much for lift.

2015-11-16 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Right--if your legs are going down it is usually a matter of body position and sometimes swim-specific core strength to hold that position. I have trouble visualizing how the chicken fits into it--hope she posts the video!

2015-11-17 4:19 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Right--if your legs are going down it is usually a matter of body position and sometimes swim-specific core strength to hold that position. I have trouble visualizing how the chicken fits into it--hope she posts the video!

Back in May this year I attended a Tri training camp. My swim was awful. The instructor concentrated on my body position because of my weak kick and sinking legs. One of the things that helped was to imagine that you're swimming down hill. I used to put an emphasis on slightly bending at the waist (even though the instructor said that I still looked like I had a straight body to them). That slight "perceived" bend was enough to shift my center of balance more forward, raising my legs.
Oh, and TJ, you were lucky using a board. She had me doing 8 lengths of kick drills with no board/fins. I thought I was going to drown
2015-11-17 6:43 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I know Yanti had saved one of the dumbest looking videos another had posted on this (chickens & wacky props), but it does work. The sinking is more balance and core use to fix. Feels really weird & awkward at first but need to learn how to use the core correctly to accomplish this. Legs are to drive rotation and can be used for propulsion at times. Shouldn't be so much for lift.

I had it bookmarked on my old computer but not this new one! Had to use some serious Google Fu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5nE5FBPsQ

Really, really good ... for anyone.

2015-11-17 6:57 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Absolutely it gets better, if you keep seeking, trying, giving time and effort, and you certainly are

We forget that as children it took a while to learn how to balance on two legs to walk, and then to walk with good balance, and then to walk with endurance.

We forget that when we learned how to ride a bike, there was a lot of balancing and falling and time involved with learning how to go around corners, uphill, downhill, different speeds.

We think of the swim as a small proportion of triathlon, give it a small proportion of our training time, but then expect to improve in swimming like we improve in cycling and running, which we give massive time.

I'm just making general statements which may or may not apply to you--it's easy to forget that any skill, including swimming, takes X time to get OK at (never mind good).

2015-11-17 7:29 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

About swimming and maybe kicking

As a possible tip for Maria and maybe useful or not reminders for all of us ...

(With this caveat--it's impossible to say what needs to be different/worked on/focused on/tweaked and how in someone's specific swim stroke without actually seeing it)

The drills/activities toward the end of the video are GREAT for establishing good body position in the water. You really have to feel/put yourself into it. It takes time. I would do them both before and after swims.

Once you can actually get into the streamline position from balled-up and/or vertical, then try light flutter kicking while keeping your arms stretched forward. Breathe however you need to when you need to, then resume. If it becomes a struggle, resume getting into the streamline position before starting to kick lightly again.

2015-11-17 7:30 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Master
Northern IL

I had it bookmarked on my old computer but not this new one! Had to use some serious Google Fu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5nE5FBPsQ

Really, really good ... for anyone.

That's it!

2015-11-17 10:03 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Darren, the Manatee representative in Wales. Cyclist, sometimes runner, infrequent swimmer. Trainer Road/Zwift addict. Ironman and ultra run finisher. Haulage expert. Father of two (Fin and Emmy?).  Don't mention weekends to him.

2015-11-17 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

With my dislocated shoulder, I was allowed to use the trainer at hope pretty quickly.  I'm not sure how it will be with the clavical though. 18 pieces!  yikes! 

2015-11-17 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by jmkizer

Mary in Chicagoland, what is the first initial of your last name?

It is G, why? Mary

I updated the roster.  Mary S in Denver and Mary G in Chicago. :-D

2015-11-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Darren, the Manatee representative in Wales. Cyclist, sometimes runner, infrequent swimmer. Trainer Road/Zwift addict. Ironman and ultra run finisher. Haulage expert. Father of two (Fin and Emmy?).  Don't mention weekends to him.

Well said!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54777 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67354 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28405 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11971 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.