BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-03-17 4:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by Jason N

So if my saddle can't really go much further forward, there is no way to drop the bars/pads without compromising fit angles?  If what I'm reading is right, the saddle needs to go further forward than the bars go down?

To preserve all angles, saddle goes forward, pads go forward and down. Everything is just rotating around the BB

If you can't go forward and you just go down you are closing the hip

Edited by marcag 2016-03-17 4:47 PM

2016-03-17 5:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

So if my saddle can't really go much further forward, there is no way to drop the bars/pads without compromising fit angles?  If what I'm reading is right, the saddle needs to go further forward than the bars go down?

To preserve all angles, saddle goes forward, pads go forward and down. Everything is just rotating around the BB If you can't go forward and you just go down you are closing the hip

That's what I figured.  I tried moving down and I was getting unusual fatigue in my quads where my HR was well below threshold.  Hips did feel closed off.  Though I was surprised at how far forward you recommended the saddle go for a given drop in pad level.  Most saddles can't go forward 5 cm, unless you were already in a super slack road bike position...so I'm wondering how much lower one can actually go to begin with.

Edited by Jason N 2016-03-17 5:53 PM
2016-03-17 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag

To preserve all angles, saddle goes forward, pads go forward and down. Everything is just rotating around the BB If you can't go forward and you just go down you are closing the hip

That's what I figured.  I tried moving down and I was getting unusual fatigue in my quads where my HR was well below threshold.  Hips did feel closed off.  Though I was surprised at how far forward you recommended the saddle go for a given drop in pad level.  Most saddles can't go forward 5 cm, unless you were already in a super slack road bike position...so I'm wondering how much lower one can actually go to begin with.

I could go 2 forward, 1.13 down 1.48 out
Basically I would be riding 1.47 degrees steeper or rotating 1.47 degress around the BB
My pads need to do the same which is why they gou out and down.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-17 6:13 PM
2016-03-18 6:32 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

I actually did have room to move my saddle forward about 1.5 cm.  Tried that and it helped.  40k TT this Sunday then I can put that bike away for the rest of the year...or maybe sell it.  I really don't enjoy riding that bike at all.

2016-03-19 6:47 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

I actually did have room to move my saddle forward about 1.5 cm.  Tried that and it helped.  40k TT this Sunday then I can put that bike away for the rest of the year...or maybe sell it.  I really don't enjoy riding that bike at all.

Point to point or out and back ?

2016-03-19 11:26 AM

User image

Out and back.  Should be fairly breezy as we've been having 20+ mph winds the past week.  I think it might die down into the 15-20 range by Sunday though.  Pretty typical for this race either way.  My main concern is always traffic as there isn't much shoulder or room for cars to pass.  Not high traffic, but not low enough where you can bury tour head.  Just isn't enough road on this island to have a 40k anywhere safer. 

2016-03-19 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Out and back.  Should be fairly breezy as we've been having 20+ mph winds the past week.  I think it might die down into the 15-20 range by Sunday though.  Pretty typical for this race either way.  My main concern is always traffic as there isn't much shoulder or room for cars to pass.  Not high traffic, but not low enough where you can bury tour head.  Just isn't enough road on this island to have a 40k anywhere safer. 

If you don't mind, send me the file post race to do a CDA calc

2016-03-19 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I raced a 10k this morning -- feeling like my running is making some progress (pretty happy with the time, the pacing was a bit of a cluster, but some of that was due to the wind, though mostly due to inexperience, I think).  Race report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=539932&posts=1#M5172882 

2016-03-19 6:35 PM

User image

Are there any weather factors you need me to capture.  It's 100% at sea level. 

2016-03-20 5:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Are there any weather factors you need me to capture.  It's 100% at sea level. 

Barometric pressure. Relative Humidity, temperature and wind direction (if known)
But they can usually be found on a weather site after the fact
2016-03-20 9:12 AM

User image

Using Kaawa as the city (this is where the turn around is, start is in Laie), at 4:10 am the temp is 71, humidity 73%, dew point 62%, pressure 29.98, wind East 13 mph and forecast is for temp humidity and wind to remain about the same till around 8am when I should finish with temps maybe going to 73.  It can be a little gusty along the coast. 

2016-03-20 7:21 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nicole/Jason-good work in your races.  Enjoyed the race reports.

Was headed outside to ride on the tri bike this morning when I noticed a slit/crack in the sidewall of the rear tire. Didn't feel like swapping it out so just rode on the rollers/trainer.  Got in a pretty good workout with about 40 minutes of intervals 2X10 and 4X5 at 90-95% FTP.

I have been using Conti 4000s and 4000s II for the last couple  of years and suspect I will replace the worn tire with the same.  Anyone have a better recommendation for a good training/race tire.  I run the same thing on my race wheels but with latex tubes.  Seems the Conti 4000s have scored well in rolling resistance testing and offer a fairly high level of durability.  

2016-03-20 11:21 PM

User image

Ended up doing 57:49 on a pretty windy day.  Maybe 15-20 steady with gusts.  285 AP, paced evenly first half and second half.  Power did sag to 283, but unloaded the last 10 minutes to bring it back up.  Good enough for 4th overall and only the usual suspects beat me out. 

2016-03-21 7:08 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Ended up doing 57:49 on a pretty windy day.  Maybe 15-20 steady with gusts.  285 AP, paced evenly first half and second half.  Power did sag to 283, but unloaded the last 10 minutes to bring it back up.  Good enough for 4th overall and only the usual suspects beat me out. 

Nice job Jason. Strong effort!

2016-03-21 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

nice!

why hanging up the tri bike ?
2016-03-21 2:37 PM

User image

RR Here

Marc, honestly I just don't like riding that bike at all.  I probably need a completely new fit, and maybe even a different bike in order for me to not only be comfortable on it, but faster.  With only 3 flat TTs each year on our schedule, it's just not worth my time, money, or effort to find a better solution.  

2016-03-21 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
I finally got my official invite to IM Kona via Legacy Program. I have done 16 IM's and this was my second year on the Legacy list. For people such as myself (MOP), this is my only way to ever do Kona. I read lots on the ST site and it does seem as though the list of people who have done 12 will keep growing year after year. I don't know if anyone else in this group cares to get there this way, but its good for me. My best friend is currently at 5, and by the time she gets there who knows what the waiting list will look like. Anyway, I did get an initial letter last summer assuring me a spot if I maintained eligibility, and they did follow through on it.
Jim
2016-03-21 7:30 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Congratulations.  I got in through the Hawaii State Residency lottery, and even if I didn't, I would never be the type to knock someone for taking that type of slot.  I know there are people that may not care to get in that way for themselves, but if you want to go, and you're not the KQ type, then you take what you can get.

It's a very special place.  The vibe all week gives you goosebumps...even if you aren't racing.  My advice is to take it all in, but also make sure you budget enough time to stay off your feet as well.  You literally can walk around or do tons of things during race weeks and wear yourself out without doing much "training."

2016-03-21 8:07 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by jimmyb I finally got my official invite to IM Kona via Legacy Program. I have done 16 IM's and this was my second year on the Legacy list. For people such as myself (MOP), this is my only way to ever do Kona. I read lots on the ST site and it does seem as though the list of people who have done 12 will keep growing year after year. I don't know if anyone else in this group cares to get there this way, but its good for me. My best friend is currently at 5, and by the time she gets there who knows what the waiting list will look like. Anyway, I did get an initial letter last summer assuring me a spot if I maintained eligibility, and they did follow through on it. Jim

Jim-awesome to get the confirmation.  Bet it will be a memorable experience.

Jason-really enjoyed the race report on the TT.  Would love to do one and see if I could sniff an hour.  Interesting to read your thoughts at different stages of the race....especially over the last part with the balance of pushing it versus blowing up.

Jason/Wannabefaster-any thoughts on the shorter cranks....or are you still in Spartan depression? 

2016-03-21 8:11 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Congratulations.  I got in through the Hawaii State Residency lottery, and even if I didn't, I would never be the type to knock someone for taking that type of slot.  I know there are people that may not care to get in that way for themselves, but if you want to go, and you're not the KQ type, then you take what you can get.

It's a very special place.  The vibe all week gives you goosebumps...even if you aren't racing.  My advice is to take it all in, but also make sure you budget enough time to stay off your feet as well.  You literally can walk around or do tons of things during race weeks and wear yourself out without doing much "training."

I did Kona as my first IM, via lottery, and had a great time. Truly an amazing experience.

I second what Jason says about not getting too wrapped up in doing everything. It can be pretty crazy. Although, I would say don't get so wrapped up in the race that you neglect the 'experience' either. I suspect that as a 16 time IM finisher you will have a much better sense of how to meter out your pre-race energy than I did. Doing Kona as a first IM was a bit intimidating to say the least and I think my nerves sucked some of the fun out of it. I think it would have been a very different event if I had more prior race experience. Too bad I am going to have to keep racing, injury free, in to my 70s to qualify to go back :-)
2016-03-22 9:22 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Marc (and all):

A good write up from Lionel Sanders about the bike fitting that Marc attended awhile ago with Lionel Sanders:

http://lsanderstri.com/

I was disappointed that Marc didn't get credit for the shorter crank suggestion. :-)

It may be very interesting to see what Lionel does on the bike now that he is more comfortable.......

2016-03-22 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Marc (and all):

A good write up from Lionel Sanders about the bike fitting that Marc attended awhile ago with Lionel Sanders:

I was disappointed that Marc didn't get credit for the shorter crank suggestion. :-)

It may be very interesting to see what Lionel does on the bike now that he is more comfortable.......

Andy was generous enough to give credit on the FB thread. That was nice. Not necessary but appreciated.

We will see what the new position nets him on the aero tests.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-22 11:00 AM
2016-03-22 7:16 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'll have to read that one.

Marc - looking for your input on cassette recommendations for Tremblant.  I've got an 11-26 on the bike at the moment, but wonder if I should look for a little more gearing for the climbs in the last 1/3 of the race.  

2016-03-23 8:09 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Marc (and all):

Apparently the camelback will be measured
2016-03-23 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
If anyone of you are interested, here is the linkm(http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x4d06v_INSEP_TV_science-triathlon-conf-26-27-nov-2015-english/1) to the Science and Triathlon Conference in Paris from a few months ago, lots of great topics and very reputable people to listen to and learn from

- Strength training
- Training Load
- Nutritional Strategies
- Sustainable and consistent training approach for the long-term
- Training/competing in extreme conditions

Edited by bcagle25 2016-03-23 8:44 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57256 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.