BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-10-05 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3132979

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
SSMinnow - 2010-10-05 6:28 AM
badgerintx - 2010-10-04 9:19 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-10-04 8:24 PM Anyone listen to the EN podcast on outseason swimming?  As a weaker swimmer, I cannot imagine totally eliminating it, but do see value on focusing on the biggest bang for the buck.  Thoughts???

Suzy, I have totally drank the EN "koolade" and am starting the 20 week intermediate outseason plan next week and plan on following the program to the letter.  That being said, I am out of the pool until at least January after the 1/2 marathon I have scheduled.  Any extra time I have will be put towards running.  I may swim once in a while for balance and recovery, we'll see.  

I guess we will see what happens as I start to prepare for Knoxville and get back into the pool. 

Do I get to comment??

Dino

Interesting responses so far.  I'm not surprised that the strong swimmers support it and the weaker ones are less likely to consider it.    I am hoping this year, instead of spending 5 days in the pool in the off-season for 30-40 minutes at a crack, I can do Master's twice a week for an hour and call it good enough until I start IM training. Got a response back from my coach, and he didn't support it at all for someone swimming slower than a 1:50/100.  His comment was it wouldnt allow me to improve, but maintain where I am at currently.  Not something either one of us want to see.  Of course, I'm lucky.  I have a little more time than most to workout.

Good luck Dino!!  I do like a lot of what EN has to say so will be eager to watch your progress leading up to REV3!

I haven't listened yet either but I do think that I have come to recognize that yards in the pool are not going to make me faster.  I think I have plateaued with my current technique an although I don't plan to eliminate swimming in the off season, I am much less concerncerd about getting in the pool 3 days a week like I have been in season.  When I do get in the pool, I am focused much more on technique and drills and less on yards and speed.  I believe that any speed I loose through fitness over the winter will be quickly regained when I start back on a regular routine.  Granted, I might not get much faster than I am today but will get back to where I have been.  I really think that I have to gain first in the bike and then in the run...and maximizing my run effort off the bike.

The pool will not go away for me during the winter but it will be less than it was most of the season.

2010-10-05 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3133255

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gdale - 2010-10-05 7:48 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-10-05 6:28 AM
badgerintx - 2010-10-04 9:19 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-10-04 8:24 PM Anyone listen to the EN podcast on outseason swimming?  As a weaker swimmer, I cannot imagine totally eliminating it, but do see value on focusing on the biggest bang for the buck.  Thoughts???

Suzy, I have totally drank the EN "koolade" and am starting the 20 week intermediate outseason plan next week and plan on following the program to the letter.  That being said, I am out of the pool until at least January after the 1/2 marathon I have scheduled.  Any extra time I have will be put towards running.  I may swim once in a while for balance and recovery, we'll see.  

I guess we will see what happens as I start to prepare for Knoxville and get back into the pool. 

Do I get to comment??

Dino

Interesting responses so far.  I'm not surprised that the strong swimmers support it and the weaker ones are less likely to consider it.    I am hoping this year, instead of spending 5 days in the pool in the off-season for 30-40 minutes at a crack, I can do Master's twice a week for an hour and call it good enough until I start IM training. Got a response back from my coach, and he didn't support it at all for someone swimming slower than a 1:50/100.  His comment was it wouldnt allow me to improve, but maintain where I am at currently.  Not something either one of us want to see.  Of course, I'm lucky.  I have a little more time than most to workout.

Good luck Dino!!  I do like a lot of what EN has to say so will be eager to watch your progress leading up to REV3!

I haven't listened yet either but I do think that I have come to recognize that yards in the pool are not going to make me faster.  I think I have plateaued with my current technique an although I don't plan to eliminate swimming in the off season, I am much less concerncerd about getting in the pool 3 days a week like I have been in season.  When I do get in the pool, I am focused much more on technique and drills and less on yards and speed.  I believe that any speed I loose through fitness over the winter will be quickly regained when I start back on a regular routine.  Granted, I might not get much faster than I am today but will get back to where I have been.  I really think that I have to gain first in the bike and then in the run...and maximizing my run effort off the bike.

The pool will not go away for me during the winter but it will be less than it was most of the season.

Agree with George. Currently,  my coach has me swimming once a week pretty much just working or technique and staying in the water.
2010-10-05 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3133162

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
dalessit - 2010-10-05 8:16 AM So for those that are thinking about Rev3, what distance are you planning on doing?

I am pretty sure I am in for the Oly and not the HIM, leaves more time for partying...

I really want to do the HALF if I am going to travel that far, etc. , however, the OLY fits much better into my "out-season" and training plans for my A race in July.  The OLY would also probably make the travel home easier (I could leave on Sunday PM) but I am waiting to see how I feel as I finish up out-season and when I start HIM training in March to make the final decision.  The race falls 9 weeks into my 18 week HIM training plan.  If I feel good and rested, well-trained, and have my swim form back, I will do the half as a training race for July with some specific goals, like maybe beating John's transitions times!  Laughing  

Partying?  Isn't that called Carbo-loading if you do it before you race?

Have we come up with a Hotel location for the group so Reservations can be made? 

2010-10-05 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3133162

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-10-05 9:16 AM So for those that are thinking about Rev3, what distance are you planning on doing?

I am pretty sure I am in for the Oly and not the HIM, leaves more time for partying...

i may be convinced to do the swim on a HIM relay if anyone racing has a better half that's interested.  or tracy, that would make a nice work out for you!

2010-10-05 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3133474

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-05 9:12 AM
dalessit - 2010-10-05 9:16 AM So for those that are thinking about Rev3, what distance are you planning on doing?

i may be convinced to do the swim on a HIM relay if anyone racing has a better half that's interested.  or tracy, that would make a nice work out for you!

ahh fyi its not Augusta!!!

Maybe you could you do T2?
2010-10-05 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3133570

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2010-10-05 11:49 AM
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-05 9:12 AM

ahh fyi its not Augusta!!!

Maybe you could you do T2?

awesome!!!!!

2010-10-05 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3133322

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
badgerintx - 2010-10-05 9:15 AM
dalessit - 2010-10-05 8:16 AM So for those that are thinking about Rev3, what distance are you planning on doing?

I really want to do the HALF if I am going to travel that far, etc. , however, the OLY fits much better into my "out-season" and training plans for my A race in July.  The OLY would also probably make the travel home easier (I could leave on Sunday PM) but I am waiting to see how I feel as I finish up out-season and when I start HIM training in March to make the final decision.  The race falls 9 weeks into my 18 week HIM training plan.  If I feel good and rested, well-trained, and have my swim form back, I will do the half as a training race for July with some specific goals, like maybe beating John's transitions times!  Laughing  

Partying?  Isn't that called Carbo-loading if you do it before you race?

Have we come up with a Hotel location for the group so Reservations can be made? 

I am leaning towards the Sheraton Four Point which is across the street from the race location and one of the preferred hotels.  It seems a little nicer than the Holiday Inn which is right on property, but I can be flexible.

Re: distance.  I'm wishy washy...I totally gave up on Boston and now I am having second thoughts....why? NFC.  The HIM if I don't do Boston or the Oly if I do.  Of course all subject to approval.  Either way, I'll be there with bells on.
2010-10-05 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3133604

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2010-10-05 11:58 AM Either way, I'll be there with bells on.

just bells?  awesome! 
2010-10-05 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Be forewarned, for LoneStar I think we sent 10 x the amount of e-mails as there were mentor group posts... We still have 8 months until the race so make sure your mailbox limits are removed...
2010-10-05 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3133617

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-05 11:02 AM

just bells?  awesome! 

HA!  I'll probably have rings on my fingers too....you know kind of like this....you young people probably have never even heard this....
2010-10-05 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3133728

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2010-10-05 12:39 PM

just bells?  awesome! 

HA!  I'll probably have rings on my fingers too....you know kind of like this....you young people probably have never even heard this....

Just you and Rob Suzy, way before my time... ; )

2010-10-05 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3133728

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2010-10-05 11:39 AM

just bells?  awesome! 

I must resemble this remark because that song meant nothing to me! 
2010-10-05 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3133474

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-05 10:12 AM

Ok just to complicate things b/c that is what i do in life.  I could be up for joining that HIM relay team and doing the run part.  That way if Tony did the Olympic, he would done in plenty of time to take over kid duty while I wait for my chip.  :-)

So John -- we just need a biker!
2010-10-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3133952

User image

Master
My hackles are up.

I was out doing a decently easy lovely 4-mile run today, late morning. On my way back, I was running in the bike lane on a not-very-busy street. I choose running on the road to the sidewalk when it's safe, because I prefer the camber, softer surface, and don't like the undulations of driveways. I'm very aware of car and bike traffic and always hop up on the sidewalk if there is a cyclist or a wide car coming my way.

So anyway, happily running along when I hear a hostile shout, "GET UP ON THE D*M#  SIDEWALK!!" I turn to see a camo-wearing truck-driving bitter old man totally getting PO'ed at me, yelling at me to get off the road. I am going against traffic. He is going in the same direction as I am (opposite side of the road), so I am not affecting him in the least!! WTF? Seriously???? He shot me dirty looks and shouts as he took a left turn in front of me (with tons of room --  I was not at the intersection yet). Of course after my adrenaline calmed down I came up with numerous choice come-backs, but I'm glad I took the high road and held my tongue. I was wearing a pink skirt with pink spankies, and maybe in hindsight I should have flashed him some pink cougar bootie.

And lest you think I'm judging him for wearing camo and driving a truck, I AM NOT. I happen to train my dog for hunt tests (it's one of my main non-tri, non-kid hobbies) and I, too, wear camo (and am learning how to handle a gun alongside my dog, etc.). I'm just judging him for being grumpy. And rude.

OK. PHEW. Got that off my chest. Sorry if I sound bitter. If I can't gripe about this stuff here, where can I?
2010-10-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3134015

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2010-10-05 2:20 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-05 10:12 AM

Ok just to complicate things b/c that is what i do in life.  I could be up for joining that HIM relay team and doing the run part.  That way if Tony did the Olympic, he would done in plenty of time to take over kid duty while I wait for my chip.  :-)

So John -- we just need a biker!

AWESOME!!!  c'mon tracy where are you!?!?  

2010-10-05 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3134047

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-10-05 2:29 PM My hackles are up.

I was out doing a decently easy lovely 4-mile run today, late morning. On my way back, I was running in the bike lane on a not-very-busy street. I choose running on the road to the sidewalk when it's safe, because I prefer the camber, softer surface, and don't like the undulations of driveways. I'm very aware of car and bike traffic and always hop up on the sidewalk if there is a cyclist or a wide car coming my way.

So anyway, happily running along when I hear a hostile shout, "GET UP ON THE D*M#  SIDEWALK!!" I turn to see a camo-wearing truck-driving bitter old man totally getting PO'ed at me, yelling at me to get off the road. I am going against traffic. He is going in the same direction as I am (opposite side of the road), so I am not affecting him in the least!! WTF? Seriously???? He shot me dirty looks and shouts as he took a left turn in front of me (with tons of room --  I was not at the intersection yet). Of course after my adrenaline calmed down I came up with numerous choice come-backs, but I'm glad I took the high road and held my tongue. I was wearing a pink skirt with pink spankies, and maybe in hindsight I should have flashed him some pink cougar bootie.

And lest you think I'm judging him for wearing camo and driving a truck, I AM NOT. I happen to train my dog for hunt tests (it's one of my main non-tri, non-kid hobbies) and I, too, wear camo (and am learning how to handle a gun alongside my dog, etc.). I'm just judging him for being grumpy. And rude.

OK. PHEW. Got that off my chest. Sorry if I sound bitter. If I can't gripe about this stuff here, where can I?

so this really wasn't a big deal, was it?

HA! you should have flashed him, that would have been AWESOME!!!!!

that sucks and that suckiest part about it is there isn't much you can do.  if you go after him you risk putting yourself in jeopardy.  if you don't then you stew about it.  of course having said that, every time i see a blue convertible volvo i check to see if its got a texas license plate frame, from my incident last month.  9 times out of 10 these losers are cowards when not surrounded by an engine and some sheet metal. 

laugh it off and know you got to a grumpy old man without even trying... so you win.  ha.

now, about this running in the bike lane nonsense...?  

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-05 1:51 PM

2010-10-05 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3134086

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-05 11:45 AM

that sucks and that suckiest part about it is there isn't much you can do.  if you go after him you risk putting yourself in jeopardy.  if you don't then you stew about it.  of course having said that, every time i see a blue convertible volvo i check to see if its got a texas license plate frame, from my incident last month.  9 times out of 10 these losers are cowards when not surrounded by an engine and some sheet metal. 

laugh it off and know you got to a grumpy old man without even trying... so you win.  ha.

I know,I know, I know. I WOULD NOT DO IT IF I DIDN'T FEEL SAFE!!! Not a busy road, not a busy time of day, HUGE shoulder. Of course anything can happen. Does this mean we should run at all on roads that don't have bike lanes OR sidewalks? I have some of those too (but they have shoulders). These are not high traffic areas, residential with slow speed limits, etc.

But I like the spin of getting to a grumpy old man without even trying. Now I'll just spend the rest of my day feeling smug.
2010-10-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3134114

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-10-05 2:58 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-05 11:45 AM

I know,I know, I know. I WOULD NOT DO IT IF I DIDN'T FEEL SAFE!!! Not a busy road, not a busy time of day, HUGE shoulder. Of course anything can happen. Does this mean we should run at all on roads that don't have bike lanes OR sidewalks? I have some of those too (but they have shoulders). These are not high traffic areas, residential with slow speed limits, etc.

But I like the spin of getting to a grumpy old man without even trying. Now I'll just spend the rest of my day feeling smug.

i don't know.  i guess if their are no other options than yes. 

smug, ha!  good for you.
2010-10-05 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3134047

User image

Champion
kkcbelle - 2010-10-05 1:29 PM My hackles are up.

If the road isn't a busy one, I always run on the shoulder...way better surface than concrete. I've had people veer at me to scare the crap out of me so in general, I'm a trail girl so it doesn't happen often.  I see this behavior way more in biking in Wisconsin.   Typically they're driving an F150 or dump truck.  I never react...that is exactly what they want.  My training partner would go ballistic all summer long and I think that just adds fuel to the fire.

With the recent hit of Dave's friend given his high profile within the bike community, I am hoping more buttheads see that if they hit someone they pay the conequences.  The fact of the matter is everytime we run or bike on the roads we endanger ourselves.  Pathetic.
2010-10-05 2:34 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I had this type of thing happen last week. 3 of us guys were out biking on a country road. No traffic,etc,etc. We can hear a vehicle coming up behind us, so we made sure we were single-file,etc. 25ish year old guy slows and yells "FRICKAFRICKAFRAKAFRAG" or something like that. He stops about 1/2 km ahead or us. We start talking about what is this reject going to do now. He then comes back towards us, slows down to ~20mph, leans out his window and yells"FRIGAFRACKAFRAGGAAAA" So we just kept biking. Noticed he turned his truck around again, but this time he came by us at 100 million miles an hour, and then continued on.
That was really the first time something like that happened to me. I really do not understand what people think they are gaining by doing it. Or the reason behind why they are doing it. Have to admit I was a little pi$$ed at the punk at the time, and I was happy they was three of us out there. You never know...
2010-10-05 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
hold it. 

you switched a key word there.  a shoulder is not the same thing as a bicycle lane.  about 1 minute of google time shows this.....

in washington state pedestrians must use sidewalks if they are there.  here

a bicyclist can use either the shoulder or bike lane.  here

all that said,  this is worth repeating...."The fact of the matter is everytime we run or bike on the roads we endanger ourselves.  Pathetic." 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-05 2:36 PM

2010-10-05 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3134150

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2010-10-05 12:17 PM
kkcbelle - 2010-10-05 1:29 PM My hackles are up.

If the road isn't a busy one, I always run on the shoulder...way better surface than concrete. I've had people veer at me to scare the crap out of me so in general, I'm a trail girl so it doesn't happen often.  I see this behavior way more in biking in Wisconsin.   Typically they're driving an F150 or dump truck.  I never react...that is exactly what they want.  My training partner would go ballistic all summer long and I think that just adds fuel to the fire.

With the recent hit of Dave's friend given his high profile within the bike community, I am hoping more buttheads see that if they hit someone they pay the conequences.  The fact of the matter is everytime we run or bike on the roads we endanger ourselves.  Pathetic.

That happened to me, grumpy old man in a big truck, early Sunday morning, nary a soul in sight, and I am running against traffic, huge two lane residential street, PLENTY of room, we're talking huge!!! and he veers towards me, honking his horn loud as can be, screaming at me to get on the sidewalk!  huh?  really?  how am I bothering you, again?  i am running faster than you can frickin drive, old man, that's what i said to myself, smiled and waved and kept on my merry way.  HA!  This happened last spring sometime, and can you tell, it still bugs me???  redneck in sf.  dawg.
2010-10-05 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Don't want to rain on the RANT fest going on....   but this should remind all of us how careful we need to be on the roads. 

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/104354109.html

Be safe!

Dino

2010-10-05 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
damn man.  very sorry to hear this.   yeah, be safe!!!!!!!
2010-10-05 3:08 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Oh, Dino, I am so sorry. 

Let's all be safe out there.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328