BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-15 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Happy Thursday morning group.

I am drinking my FREE Tax/Earth Day Starbucks coffee.  This morning was cool and crisp and I got in a lovely, peaceful run around the monuments this morning.  And no pollen - at least not yet.

I'm getting out my funk and getting ready for Lonestar!  Watch out Texas - hear I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010-04-15 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2793396

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
sdalessio - 2010-04-15 9:23 AM Happy Thursday morning group.

I am drinking my FREE Tax/Earth Day Starbucks coffee.  This morning was cool and crisp and I got in a lovely, peaceful run around the monuments this morning.  And no pollen - at least not yet.

I'm getting out my funk and getting ready for Lonestar!  Watch out Texas - hear I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GGggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  Go get em tiger!!!!!
2010-04-15 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2793389

User image

Expert
tahrens - 2010-04-15 8:21 AM Only the coolest of triathletes can pull off the two watch look, so welcome to the elite club Wink

Tracy - I will be sporting the 2 watch look at Lonestar although I will have them on separate arms.  And before the boys chime in and hassle me, it is b/c some people in our household make sacrifices and don't have a power meter.

So I will use my Garmin (per coach's orders) to monitor my bike effort and I like my other watch for keeping an overall time.  It's easy to me to hit lap for splits.  I also cannot grasp the multisport function on my watch so even if I set it up correctly I never hit lap at the right time and get everything all screwed up.
2010-04-15 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
The caffeine is flowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I have a real question ...

I may be slow to this party train but I have discovered the wonderfulness of butt cream on those long rides.  Normally I would not be concerned enough to use it for a sprint or olympic but feel that it would be a good idea for Lonestar.

So is there a tactful, discrete way of applying it w/o running off to a port-o-john?  I wear a trisuit during races and it was a bit awkward trying to get to that area before my last training ride.

Real, helpful answers need only respond, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2010-04-15 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2793439

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
sdalessio - 2010-04-15 9:38 AM The caffeine is flowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may be slow to this party train but I have discovered the wonderfulness of butt cream on those long rides.  Normally I would not be concerned enough to use it for a sprint or olympic but feel that it would be a good idea for Lonestar.

So is there a tactful, discrete way of applying it w/o running off to a port-o-john?  I wear a trisuit during races and it was a bit awkward trying to get to that area before my last training ride.

I've always applied it while I"m getting ready in the morning and it's stayed fine.  Can you try a few swim/bike bricks in your tri shorts where you've applied the cream at the beginning and see how it feels?  I usually use Body Glide in the crease of my legs / hips and butt cream in other "as needed" areas.
2010-04-15 8:47 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
sdalessio - 2010-04-15 7:38 AM The caffeine is flowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha so many answers!!!
But I use Chamois Butt'r. It rocks. Why cant you just apply it under your suit, before the swim? Would it loose it effectiveness? I was planning on doing that. As well, putting a little bit in a container and throwing it in the bento box just in case.

2010-04-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2793466

User image

Expert
TrevorC - 2010-04-15 8:47 AM

Ha so many answers!!!
But I use Chamois Butt'r. It rocks. Why cant you just apply it under your suit, before the swim? Would it loose it effectiveness? I was planning on doing that. As well, putting a little bit in a container and throwing it in the bento box just in case.

That's a good idea.  I can try the before the swim.  I was just worried that it would wash away and not be as effective.

We've gotten hooked on dznuts which may be more geared towards guys but I don't care.  It adds a nice numbing effect which is awesome for those long rides.
2010-04-15 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2010-04-15 8:38 AM The caffeine is flowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe you weren't around yet for my experience w/ this at buffalo springs.   i think you came into the group shortly after i told this story...

i used it for training so figured i'd use it for that race.  went to the shop and bought a new tube.  fast forward to swim exit.  i come out of the water kinda beat up, (47:xx), not a great swim but hey its my first 70.3.  get to my rack. toss the wetsuit. helmet on. shoes on.  grab the tube of butt paste, give it little squeeze but nothing comes out. the first inkling of panic shows up.  so i figure its got dry stuff at the nozzle so i give it real good squeeze.  butt paste blasts out the back end of the tube and all over me.  i forgot to take that little shiny thing sticker thing off the part its supposed to come out. dude next to me is on the floor laughing.  it was awesome.  i just scooped some off my top, shoved it down the shorts and away i went. 

i don't think it can hurt any to slap some on, sam.  and i wouldn't think twice about anybody being concerned you're doing it in transition.  i promise there will be others and i be surprised if anyone even notices.  just remember that stuff is still on your hands at the mount line.  maybe be a little extra cautious when getting on.

edit.  i don't use anything anymore.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-15 9:00 AM
2010-04-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2793484

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
sdalessio - 2010-04-15 9:52 AM
TrevorC - 2010-04-15 8:47 AM

Ha so many answers!!!

That's a good idea.  I can try the before the swim.  I was just worried that it would wash away and not be as effective.

We've gotten hooked on dznuts which may be more geared towards guys but I don't care.  It adds a nice numbing effect which is awesome for those long rides.

Assos cream is good stuff.  It gives a cooling, tingling sensation which sounds kinky but the cooling feeling is nice after long hours of riding and friction.

Just a word of caution about applying cream in T1.  MAKE SURE YOUR HANDS ARE CLEAN!   It would be aweful to have any residual sand or dirt on your fingers when applying it.

Edited by tahrens 2010-04-15 9:05 AM
2010-04-15 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
sdalessio - 2010-04-15 9:38 AM The caffeine is flowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK Well this might not be the answer you are looking for. But my motto is "There is no modesty in Triathlon" (Or at least that is my experience.)

If it were me, Honestly I would probably just reach down my pants and apply it. I have done so before a group ride as descretely as possible.

Granted I am also the person who has changed in a parking lot after a parctice swim in bike with a towel wrapped around me so I might not be the best female to ask LOL
2010-04-15 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2793396

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2010-04-15 8:23 AM Happy Thursday morning group.

Free coffee?? That is a beautiful thing!! It's my daughter's 8th birthday today (and was my late grandmother's birthday too)... Poor thing this year has realized that lots of people don't like April 15. But she is a walking party, so it'll all be just fine for her.

Happy Lonestar prep!!! So excited for everyone!! 

2010-04-15 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey there!  I need a kick in the butt pleaseSmile.  Ever since my half marathon last Sunday I've had zero motivation to work out.  I did go for a walk one night, did one bike workout at the gym and went swimming once, but had to force myself to do those.  I'm so behind this week I'll never catch up.  Guess I need to start concentrating on my next race to get me in the training mode! 

I really want to start concentrating on my bike workouts.  I'd like to up them to 3 times a week even though my plan only calls for 2.  It's definitely where I need the most work though.  I'm just not really sure what to do.  I don't have a trainer (bike or humanSmile), no bike computer, not even a cadence sensor - although I have been considering getting one to go with my 305.  So what types of workouts can I do on the bike without all the gadgets?  Do I just go out and ride?  Can I do things like hill repeats similar to what I would do for a run?  There's a park nearby that's a 1 mile hilly loop that might be good for something like that.  Any advice on simple, gadget-free bike workouts would be appreciated!
Janet
2010-04-15 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2793497

User image

Expert
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-15 8:57 AM
sdalessio - 2010-04-15 8:38 AM The caffeine is flowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe you weren't around yet for my experience w/ this at buffalo springs.   i think you came into the group shortly after i told this story...

i used it for training so figured i'd use it for that race.  went to the shop and bought a new tube.  fast forward to swim exit.  i come out of the water kinda beat up, (47:xx), not a great swim but hey its my first 70.3.  get to my rack. toss the wetsuit. helmet on. shoes on.  grab the tube of butt paste, give it little squeeze but nothing comes out. the first inkling of panic shows up.  so i figure its got dry stuff at the nozzle so i give it real good squeeze.  butt paste blasts out the back end of the tube and all over me.  i forgot to take that little shiny thing sticker thing off the part its supposed to come out. dude next to me is on the floor laughing.  it was awesome.  i just scooped some off my top, shoved it down the shorts and away i went. 

i don't think it can hurt any to slap some on, sam.  and i wouldn't think twice about anybody being concerned you're doing it in transition.  i promise there will be others and i be surprised if anyone even notices.  just remember that stuff is still on your hands at the mount line.  maybe be a little extra cautious when getting on.

edit.  i don't use anything anymore.

Too funny and I may have read that from your race report.  But that is a story worth repeating. 

I will make sure to use clean hands and clean them off before heading out w/ my bike.
2010-04-15 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
New Mexico
I am so pissed at my legs! Ok, so I got severe shin splints last year - bone scans and all. I took November and December off of running. I got new shoes, orthotics and started back up in January - no issues, February - no issues, March - BAM and they're back. They're not terrible and they're regular shin splints that work themselves out after a few minutes of running - not the kind I had before. However, I really want to start increasing my distances but I'm afraid of really screwing them up again.

Am I doomed to run on tracks and treadmills except for race days? The hills in my neighborhood are what seemed to bring them out again. Flat neighborhoods don't exist in hill country (it's actually the geographical name of the area). I know I overstride some and I probably need to increase my spm, and I'm working on that, but it's just me off.

I think I just wanted to vent - but if anyone has suggestions PLEASE help me out here. I'm desperate. lol
2010-04-15 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2793547

User image

Regular
New Mexico
  so i figure its got dry stuff at the nozzle so i give it real good squeeze.  butt paste blasts out the back end of the tube and all over me.  i forgot to take that little shiny thing sticker thing off the part its supposed to come out. dude next to me is on the floor laughing.  it was awesome.  i just scooped some off my top, shoved it down the shorts and away i went.  

LOL!
2010-04-15 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2793545

User image

Expert
soccermom15 - 2010-04-15 9:12 AM Hey there!  I need a kick in the butt pleaseSmile.  Ever since my half marathon last Sunday I've had zero motivation to work out.  I did go for a walk one night, did one bike workout at the gym and went swimming once, but had to force myself to do those.  I'm so behind this week I'll never catch up.  Guess I need to start concentrating on my next race to get me in the training mode! 

I really want to start concentrating on my bike workouts.  I'd like to up them to 3 times a week even though my plan only calls for 2.  It's definitely where I need the most work though.  I'm just not really sure what to do.  I don't have a trainer (bike or humanSmile), no bike computer, not even a cadence sensor - although I have been considering getting one to go with my 305.  So what types of workouts can I do on the bike without all the gadgets?  Do I just go out and ride?  Can I do things like hill repeats similar to what I would do for a run?  There's a park nearby that's a 1 mile hilly loop that might be good for something like that.  Any advice on simple, gadget-free bike workouts would be appreciated!
Janet

I'm sure the bike gurus in the group could send some specific workouts but you could approach the week w/ your bike like run workouts.  One easy/scenic/recovery type ride - one interval/hill repeat/tempo type ride and one long weekend ride.

The easy and long ride is pretty straight forward.  For the other ride, you have that hill to do repeats or find a loop to do intervals and ride hard one lap, easy the next or break it up around the loop if it a big loops or put your HR strap on and ride at Z3 for a period of time working up to 20 min. straight then maybe even 2 sets of that.

Hope that helps - that's kind of what my workouts this season have been.  :-)

2010-04-15 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
 Raise The Roof 1 

Like Sam, I am starting to get excited about coming to Texas....did my first cresendo run today and LOVED it.  Haven't done any speedwork since last September so it was an awesome feeling and a welcome change.  Planning to take my wetsuit to the pool tomorrow to test it out...I am hoping to be faster than John in it, but I suppose I shouldn't hold my breathe! 

GURU agreed to replace the seat post (how generous of them), but not sure when I will get it so I will be riding it cockeyed until then...my Seven is getting shipped to TX today via FedEx Ground for a mere $150 round trip which includes $5000 replacement value insurance.  Not a bad deal....

Sam, I think I am more modest than most people in this group.  I apply BG or Hammer Seat Saver before I leave the house.  I could see taking some with me in my special needs bag, but would hit the bathroom to apply it during a race.  No one is going to see me put my hands down my pants....

2010-04-15 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2793569

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2010-04-15 10:23 AM   

Like Sam, I am starting to get excited about coming to Texas....did my first cresendo run today and LOVED it.  Haven't done any speedwork since last September so it was an awesome feeling and a welcome change.  Planning to take my wetsuit to the pool tomorrow to test it out...I am hoping to be faster than John in it, but I suppose I shouldn't hold my breathe! 

GURU agreed to replace the seat post (how generous of them), but not sure when I will get it so I will be riding it cockeyed until then...my Seven is getting shipped to TX today via FedEx Ground for a mere $150 round trip which includes $5000 replacement value insurance.  Not a bad deal....

Sam, I think I am more modest than most people in this group.  I apply BG or Hammer Seat Saver before I leave the house.  I could see taking some with me in my special needs bag, but would hit the bathroom to apply it during a race.  No one is going to see me put my hands down my pants....

Seriously, my plan is to unzip the tri suit, and apply.  Also will have a towel to clean hands before and after.

Edited by dalessit 2010-04-15 9:29 AM
2010-04-15 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2793553

User image

Champion
Jeannie

Has anyone ever watched you run? either at a runnng store or through a gait analysis with your PT? If not, I highly recommend it.

I am going to assume your shoes are fine and you are not ramping up mileage like a crazy person.  Right?  If so, one of the primary reasons for shin splints is overstriding. When you overstride, you are actually creating a braking effect each time your foot makes contact with the ground.  That reveberates up the body and can cause shin splints.  As an early runner that happened to me.  I started shortening my stride and working on increasing turn-over.  While I never formally did this, you can count the number of times your left foot (or right) hit the ground in 60 seconds....the goal is around 90, but like RPM's on a bike can vary.  A year ago after an injury I had a gait analysis done and cadence was measured. I am a runt and I have worked hard on this over the years, but it was around 100.  That might be a little too far on the other side of things, not sure.  Last question, heavy heel striker?  If so, that could also cause a similar breaking effect because that foot is in front of you.  I would start with the cadence and then rethink running form if you need to somewhere down the line.  I will be considering a change in the Fall.

Let me know your thoughts.

Suzy

moxie - 2010-04-15 9:16 AM I am so pissed at my legs! Ok, so I got severe shin splints last year - bone scans and all. I took November and December off of running. I got new shoes, orthotics and started back up in January - no issues, February - no issues, March - BAM and they're back. They're not terrible and they're regular shin splints that work themselves out after a few minutes of running - not the kind I had before. However, I really want to start increasing my distances but I'm afraid of really screwing them up again.

Am I doomed to run on tracks and treadmills except for race days? The hills in my neighborhood are what seemed to bring them out again. Flat neighborhoods don't exist in hill country (it's actually the geographical name of the area). I know I overstride some and I probably need to increase my spm, and I'm working on that, but it's just me off.

I think I just wanted to vent - but if anyone has suggestions PLEASE help me out here. I'm desperate. lol

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-04-15 9:32 AM
2010-04-15 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2793581

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
dalessit - 2010-04-15 10:27 AM

Sam, I think I am more modest than most people in this group.  I apply BG or Hammer Seat Saver before I leave the house.

Seriously, my plan is to unzip the tri suit, and apply. 

I like the menthol bag balm, good stuff, and I've had no issues applying it before the swim and having it last - but then again, I wear a wetsuit or my Xterra Velocity suit over my tri suit.
2010-04-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2793569

User image

Expert
SSMinnow - 2010-04-15 9:23 AM  Raise The Roof 1 

I agree Suzy and I used to be VERY modest but after having kids you lose a certain degree of dignity/modesty that you never get back.  So I may be able to suck it up and slap on some stuff quickly or I'll wimp out and go w/ before the swim.

2010-04-15 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2793581

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2010-04-15 9:27 AM

Seriously, my plan is to unzip the tri suit, and apply.  Also will have a towel to clean hands before and after.

Well geez let's see how quickly I get kicked out of the race if I just unzip my suit and apply.  I think topless is frowned upon by the officials!
2010-04-15 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2793589

User image

Regular
New Mexico
SSMinnow - 2010-04-15 9:29 AM Jeannie

Has anyone ever watched you run? either at a runnng store or through a gait analysis with your PT? If not, I highly recommend it.

I am going to assume your shoes are fine and you are not ramping up mileage like a crazy person.  Right?  If so, one of the primary reasons for shin splints is overstriding. When you overstride, you are actually creating a braking effect each time your foot makes contact with the ground.  That reveberates up the body and can cause shin splints.  As an early runner that happened to me.  I started shortening my stride and working on increasing turn-over.  While I never formally did this, you can count the number of times your left foot (or right) hit the ground in 60 seconds....the goal is around 90, but like RPM's on a bike can vary.  I am a runt and I have worked hard on this over the years, my cadence is around 100.

Suzy

I know I overstride and my strides are way too long. Even the short video of my tri last weekend showed that and it was like 2 seconds of my running. I haven't had a stride analysis - I'm not sure where to get one but I'm pretty sure it will just confirm the overstriding bit. I've only been increasing my milage by .25 miles per week - although I've had a poor record of running this months and last due to chest colds, time constraints, etc.

I do need to do a stride count -  you're absolutely right about that. My shoes are good - I went to a tri store and they checked everything out, recommended the right shoes and orthotics, etc. So I guess I know what I need to do then.

Question - keep running on them, or take yet another break? I hate taking breaks - I've come so far and I hate to lose the momentum. *end whine*
2010-04-15 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2793618

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
moxie - 2010-04-15 10:37 AM

I know I overstride and my strides are way too long. Even the short video of my tri last weekend showed that and it was like 2 seconds of my running. I haven't had a stride analysis - I'm not sure where to get one but I'm pretty sure it will just confirm the overstriding bit. I've only been increasing my milage by .25 miles per week - although I've had a poor record of running this months and last due to chest colds, time constraints, etc.

I do need to do a stride count -  you're absolutely right about that. My shoes are good - I went to a tri store and they checked everything out, recommended the right shoes and orthotics, etc. So I guess I know what I need to do then.

Question - keep running on them, or take yet another break? I hate taking breaks - I've come so far and I hate to lose the momentum. *end whine*

Are you a heal striker? Are you reaching too far out in front of you with your feet? Both of these cause a rapid deceleration followed by acceleration. Additionally, if you are a heal striker, you tend to also push off running on your toes, using your Tibialis anterior, which is a small muscle, gets tired and overused very quickly, leading to shin pain. If this is causing the pain, you may need to modify your stride to find some way to push the effort from your shin to larger muscle groups, either by less forward reach, less stride, more of a midfoot strike, etc. There are many different "strides" you can use, just find the correct one for you.

I learned a great trick in high school cross country. Fill dixie cups with water and freeze them. Use them to ice your shin after every run, and that should help a bunch!

Other issues that can cause shin pain do include strains and compartment syndrome. If your issue is one of these, you don't want to run. If it is the former, you should be OK running, just ice and use common sense as to intensity and when to stop.

Edited by tjtryon 2010-04-15 10:01 AM
2010-04-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2793618

User image

Champion
Jeannie

How bad is the pain? does it subside into the run? or hurt the entire time?

My suggestion would be to take a day or two off, and then ease back into it....do a sufficient w/u where you are working on shortening your stride (I stand taller to remind myself to do this - and no wise cracks Trevor)...if after your warm-up your legs are not in a lot of pain, you can continue to run (but ask yourself if your stride is shorter-don't zone out), followed by a short cool-down.  I would ice using the DIXIE cup method or fill a bucket with ice and water and alternate 5 minutes in/5 minutes out to take down inflammation.  It is really trial and error on how much you should do....with soft tissue stuff I push it a little more, but overdoing it will only hurt you in the long run.

Suzy

moxie - 2010-04-15 9:37 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-04-15 9:29 AM Jeannie

I am going to assume your shoes are fine and you are not ramping up mileage like a crazy person.  Right?  If so, one of the primary reasons for shin splints is overstriding. When you overstride, you are actually creating a braking effect each time your foot makes contact with the ground.  That reveberates up the body and can cause shin splints.  As an early runner that happened to me.  I started shortening my stride and working on increasing turn-over.  While I never formally did this, you can count the number of times your left foot (or right) hit the ground in 60 seconds....the goal is around 90, but like RPM's on a bike can vary.  I am a runt and I have worked hard on this over the years, my cadence is around 100.

Suzy

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328