General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2010-05-24 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2236122

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

FWIW - I was out riding the course on Saturday.  As I was heading past CDA park I saw 3 guys heading to the swim start with wetsuits.  I do not know how long they stayed in but with 5 weeks to go this is a good sign. 

2010-05-24 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
WA
FWIW - I was out riding the course on Saturday. As I was heading past CDA park I saw 3 guys heading to the swim start with wetsuits. I do not know how long they stayed in but with 5 weeks to go this is a good sign.

Especially since our pool is closing June 5th for a month, T. I guess they'll let us use Ironwood... for what that's worth.
2010-05-24 9:57 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I'm trying not to panic, but I had to cut my long ride short this weekend and only got in 65 when it was supposed to be 100.  My husband flatted out and we went through his spare as well so that ended our day.

Then...yesterday evening we set out to run 17 miles.  Only got in just over 3 miles due to the weather- a storm moved in with thunder/lightining.  By then the gym was closed so the treadmill was not an option.  Mother nature was not cooperating to say the least.

This weekend was a total bust for training- but there's not much I could have done.  So this weekend I'll be riding 100 miles and I'm still trying to decide if I should try and make up yesterday's run.  It's supposed to storm again this evening so my only option maybe to run 17 on the treadmill, which sounds extremely painful.  My max was 15 miles last year when I trained for IM Cozumel and that got pretty boring.  I would hate to repeat that but I guess it's better than nothing??

I'm just having a hard time letting go my missed workouts- guilt is such a horrible feeling!
2010-05-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2877891

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
achen2iron - 2010-05-24 8:57 AM FWIW - I was out riding the course on Saturday. As I was heading past CDA park I saw 3 guys heading to the swim start with wetsuits. I do not know how long they stayed in but with 5 weeks to go this is a good sign. Especially since our pool is closing June 5th for a month, T. I guess they'll let us use Ironwood... for what that's worth.

????? WTF ?????   Are you talking about LLAC?
2010-05-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2877894

User image

Regular
runnergirl - 2010-05-24 7:57 AM

It's supposed to storm again this evening so my only option maybe to run 17 on the treadmill, which sounds extremely painful.  My max was 15 miles last year when I trained for IM Cozumel and that got pretty boring.  I would hate to repeat that but I guess it's better than nothing??

Uggh.. I feel your pain.  I was on travel last week in your neck of the woods last week and did 19 miles on the treadmill one night and 17 the next.  I hope to never see a treadmill again.
2010-05-24 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2877239

User image

Tampa, FL
trilund - 2010-05-23 11:32 PM

and rain this time of year?  Needless to say I did not get my Epic ride to Stanley in.  I was hoping for some serious hill training in central Idaho near the Sawtooths.  Instead it turned out to be 8 miserable hours on the trainer (A 140 miles of fun...)  Well, not so much.  Atleast I was able to catch up on some movies. 

Eight hours and 140 miles on the trainer is hard core. My record is 110 miles and I hope I never break that record. Nice job!

2010-05-24 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2878001

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
jodavis21 - 2010-05-24 11:28 AM

It's supposed to storm again this evening so my only option maybe to run 17 on the treadmill, which sounds extremely painful.  My max was 15 miles last year when I trained for IM Cozumel and that got pretty boring.  I would hate to repeat that but I guess it's better than nothing??

Uggh.. I feel your pain.  I was on travel last week in your neck of the woods last week and did 19 miles on the treadmill one night and 17 the next.  I hope to never see a treadmill again.

Wow- I am speechless. 

I'm still debating if I need to "make it up" this evening.  I did upload a new playlist to my iPOD so I have plenty of new songs to keep me occupied and help pass time

On a better note- I have my 12/27 cassette ordered and should get it installed later this week so I can test it out on my long ride this weekend.

Also switched to Cobb V Flow Max plus saddle (or something like that) since I was having MAJOR issues with my old road saddle.  Can't wait to ride- hoping for more comfortable/faster riding since I'll be able to ride in aero now.

Also had a CDA race dream last night- it was before the swim.  That's my 2nd CDA swim/race start race I've had recently....it seems to recurring and always pre-swim. 
2010-05-24 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2878194

User image

New user
runnergirl - 2010-05-24 12:17 PM

Wow- I am speechless. 

I'm still debating if I need to "make it up" this evening.  I did upload a new playlist to my iPOD so I have plenty of new songs to keep me occupied and help pass time

On a better note- I have my 12/27 cassette ordered and should get it installed later this week so I can test it out on my long ride this weekend.

Also switched to Cobb V Flow Max plus saddle (or something like that) since I was having MAJOR issues with my old road saddle.  Can't wait to ride- hoping for more comfortable/faster riding since I'll be able to ride in aero now.

Also had a CDA race dream last night- it was before the swim.  That's my 2nd CDA swim/race start race I've had recently....it seems to recurring and always pre-swim. 

My cassette is a 12-26. I talked to my bike shop guy about switching over to 12-27 and he said it wasn't worth the $70 plus $20 install fee to get one more tooth and a slightly better gear ratio for my bailout gear.
Anyone have any thoughts on that advice? He also said my rig and components won't accomodate anything beyond a 12-27 9-speed without having to change out other components and that wouuld drive cost up significantly.
2010-05-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2878353

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

spathrw - 2010-05-24 1:08 PM
runnergirl - 2010-05-24 12:17 PM

Wow- I am speechless. 

My cassette is a 12-26. I talked to my bike shop guy about switching over to 12-27 and he said it wasn't worth the $70 plus $20 install fee to get one more tooth and a slightly better gear ratio for my bailout gear. Anyone have any thoughts on that advice? He also said my rig and components won't accomodate anything beyond a 12-27 9-speed without having to change out other components and that wouuld drive cost up significantly.

I currently have a 10 speed 12/25.  So essentially all I had to do was pay for the casette since we have the tool and my husband can swap out the casettes himself.  For me the change was pretty inexpensive and I'll have 2 extra gears- which I know I will probably need. I rode up a hill this weekend that I've heard is comprarable to the some of the grade son the CDA course for the steeper hills. I was able to remain seated and was in my 2nd to easiet gear.  However, the hill was short and I know if it was longer I'd be in my easiest gear in the small chain ring and wouldn't be able to "spin" as much.  So that's what made me decide to go with the 12/27.

I didn't go with a compact crank- it would have been way to expensive having to swap everything out.

I hear so many conflicting stories on gearing to use- some insist on a compact crank, others use their normal gearing, some use a 12/27... I think it all depends on your climbing ability and what you're comfortable with.  And how much money you truly want to spend. 

2010-05-24 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2872806

User image

New user

Vancouver (not BC), Washington (not DC)
idahodan - 2010-05-20 10:10 PM
Triscottbendor - 2010-05-20 6:18 PM

Is anyone planning on riding the course the weekend of May 29/30 or June 5/6?  Would be interested in riding with others my first time on the course.

I have a friend coming from Vancouver one of those weekends. Will be his first time on the course as well. Would be happy to have more join us for the tour.

Sounds great, Dan.  I'm planning on coming weekend of June 5/6.  I plan to ride on Sat the 5th.  If there are a few others that want to ride, that is super.

Looking forward to it and thanks!
2010-05-24 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2878121

User image

Regular
D-Smoke - 2010-05-24 10:01 AM
trilund - 2010-05-23 11:32 PM
and rain this time of year?  Needless to say I did not get my Epic ride to Stanley in.  I was hoping for some serious hill training in central Idaho near the Sawtooths.  Instead it turned out to be 8 miserable hours on the trainer (A 140 miles of fun...)  Well, not so much.  Atleast I was able to catch up on some movies. 
Eight hours and 140 miles on the trainer is hard core. My record is 110 miles and I hope I never break that record. Nice job!

Hardcore or stupid, I am not sure which...  However, I must clarifiy.  I did break the 8 hours into two 4 hour sessions.  Saturday night then 7 hours of sleep and 4 more hours of spin on Sunday morning (140 miles).  I don't think I watched a full movie in 1-2 years.  I watched 4 during those 8 hours.  Avatar was awesome. 

First OW Swim tomorrow night in 55 degree water.  I can't wait!Yell

I hope everyone's training is going well!  Crunch time!

2010-05-24 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2877911

User image

Veteran
WA
T in Liberty Lake - 2010-05-24 7:01 AM

achen2iron - 2010-05-24 8:57 AM FWIW - I was out riding the course on Saturday. As I was heading past CDA park I saw 3 guys heading to the swim start with wetsuits. I do not know how long they stayed in but with 5 weeks to go this is a good sign. Especially since our pool is closing June 5th for a month, T. I guess they'll let us use Ironwood... for what that's worth.

????? WTF ?????   Are you talking about LLAC?

Yes, unfortunately. I talked to Kat this AM and she confirmed. I wish they could wait a couple of weeks.
2010-05-26 2:02 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Well, broke 500 miles biked so far this month, shooting for 625 or so with a 100 miler on Saturday (hope it doesn't rain).  The run walk thing is not working so well yet, still limited to 7-11 miles total before I need to stop.  Hopefully I can get that thing stabalized a bit over this next month.  Swim is a bit better than it has been, got a solid continuous 4500 faster than I have in the last year (still slow, but not as slow).  I am not looking forward to a swim in the low 50's though, brrrrr, still some time for summer to arive.  

How's everyone else doing training wise, the last big hurrah with 2 big weeks left or so to build before it is all over but the crying, er taper.    
2010-05-26 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2882411

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-26 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2882593

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
UrsusAdiposimus - 2010-05-26 9:07 AM Just had my "tune-up" HIM on Sunday and it went perfectly - all my numbers are exactly where I was hoping they'd be (although that's classified lest I jinx myself......).

Now I have a recvery week, then two total monster weeks in a row of 18-20 hours then taper. Oh and lucky me I get to move from NY to VA in the middle of my taper. Fun fun

Awesome "tune-up" race you had there mister speedy!  You had some impressive times! Looks like you're ready for IM CDA...

I also have 2 more big volume weeks- this week and next week.  This week I'm riding 100 miles and next weekend I have a 95 mile mountain ride with 8,600 feet of climbing.  And then taper....
2010-05-26 11:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Just two more big weeks (I think).  Hoping to take advantage of Memorial Day weekend for a long brick on Sat, long run Sunday and 3-mile OW swim on Monday.  Then I'll look at a plan and see what I should be doing the rest of the way.  I'm guessing less volume, more intensity and a lot of swimming.

2010-05-26 4:57 PM

Elite
Alturas, California
So I am doing my walk, jog, shuffle thing today, trying to find the magic distance that I can maintain for.....say 26.2 miles.... and ya wind... rain... and hailstones.   Sigh.  I was wishin I had a hat or golves or something.  I hope spring comes soon. 
2010-05-27 12:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but your posts always bum me out.  I know you're having some bad luck lately, but I think some positive thinking can make all the difference in the world.  If nothing else at least you'll enjoy the experience a little more.  Cheer up man. Laughing
2010-05-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2873556

Expert
Kansas City, MO

spathrw - 2010-05-21 10:06 AM
runnergirl - 2010-05-21 10:01 AM
achen2iron - 2010-05-21 10:00 AM Just a heads up... I was riding with a gal earlier this week who rode the course last Sunday and she said people have been throwing tacks on the road. This was out in the Rimrock/Ohio Match area. One of the guys that is a volunteer course monitor for the race was out sweeping them up. I guess he lives on the course and checks it from time to time.

That sucks- I wish people wouldn't do that.  I will be sooo mad if I get multiple flats during the race- not cool at all.
Tacks on the road! I don't understand why some people are just so mean - what is the motivation behind this? obviously whoever is doing this has zero clue how much sacrifice of time, energy, and money we all put into completing this event. I think the race organizers should be made aware of this and have additional bike support available and staged at those areas identified as places where flats may occur. Or at the very least spotters and volunteers ready to call in oncourse help during race to clean up road and help fix flats. I am not planning on carrying more than 1 spare tube.

I will be (not just b/c of the potential tack issue) carrying one spare tube and a small patch repair kit but plan to also throw an extra tube in my special needs bag for the bike as well....  hopefully this will be enough for flats.

On a side note for nutrition I have found that I really agree with uncrustables (PBJ's) in my work outs, for me at least it seems to be a good mix of carbs and protein....just thought I would throw that out for people still working on nutrition....  

This week and next are big weeks for the wife and I and then a three week taper.      Almost there guys!!!   Good Luck!!

2010-05-27 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2884471

Tampa, FL
Baowolf - 2010-05-26 5:57 PM

So I am doing my walk, jog, shuffle thing today, trying to find the magic distance that I can maintain for.....say 26.2 miles.... and ya wind... rain... and hailstones.   Sigh.  I was wishin I had a hat or golves or something.  I hope spring comes soon. 

How are you approaching this? Are you running until you have to walk or mixing the run/walk/run until the calf stops your running?

Edited by D-Smoke 2010-05-27 8:12 AM
2010-05-27 10:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Does anyone bring a spare TIRE along on the IM bike course.  I'll be bringing 2 tubes and I'll probably put a few more, along with some spare CO2 cartridges, in my special needs, but I'm not sure if I should worry about the tire.  I have a bunch of slightly used ones that I have folded up and banded in their "original" packaged shape and I can wedge one between the rear bottles in my X-Lab.  I always take an extra tube on long rides and while I've never needed it, I've been debating about bringing one on the bike for CDA.

Also, regarding special needs...are we able to retrieve the bags for unused items after the event?

2010-05-27 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2885796

Expert
Kansas City, MO

halfironmike - 2010-05-27 10:17 AM Does anyone bring a spare TIRE along on the IM bike course.  I'll be bringing 2 tubes and I'll probably put a few more, along with some spare CO2 cartridges, in my special needs, but I'm not sure if I should worry about the tire.  I have a bunch of slightly used ones that I have folded up and banded in their "original" packaged shape and I can wedge one between the rear bottles in my X-Lab.  I always take an extra tube on long rides and while I've never needed it, I've been debating about bringing one on the bike for CDA.

Also, regarding special needs...are we able to retrieve the bags for unused items after the event?

Not sure on the tire deal, I don't... not sure I have seen one but I am sure some people will......but as you know the tire is a little bulkier and harder to transport.

As for the special needs bag, YES, they are available at 8 or 9 am the next day, but it is a cluster f*&k to find it....  In 2008 they just through them all into 3-4 big boxes and you had to dig through to get yours......  I found mine in 2008 but it probably took me 15-20 minutes...

2010-05-27 10:57 AM

Regular

Exellent info regarding the SN bags.  I was wondering about that myself.

Regarding training, this week and last have been my biggest ever.  I'm SO looking foward to the upcoming recovery week.

I have newfound respect for those that have gone through this before and know better. Smile

2010-05-27 11:08 AM

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
how 'bout those of us who have gone through this and apparently DON'T know better?!?!? Cool
2010-05-27 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2885986

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
velcromom - 2010-05-27 12:08 PM how 'bout those of us who have gone through this and apparently DON'T know better?!?!? Cool

I kinda think it's worse when you know what you're getting yourself into.  Everytime I do my long run the day after my long ride, my legs are heavy, I'm tired, etc I can't help but think that the IM run will feel A LOT worse.  And then I wonder why I keep putting myself through all of this
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 53