General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-06-07 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Nice riding everyone this weekend..I'm jealous

I've done two IM, so my current feeling is if swim is canceled so what I'm doing the race.  My swim is by far my worst disciple and when last year two of the tris I did canceled the swim I was fine with it and a little happy. Not that I want swim canceled but if it is, what can I do? Accept it and move on. I do get the idea that for some being a first it would be more upsetting.

I have condo, air tickets, paid my entrance fee...now just need my knee to get healthy so I can train. Plus my kids are super excited to go.

Just saw TV clip of them picking up oil on beaches in FL. I'm sad what this means for the environment.

2010-06-07 6:13 PM

User image

Regular
Ventura
Just heard that the oil slick is 72 hours from panama beach ...
2010-06-07 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
I'm counting on five months of wind, waves and biology to break up, disperse and digest the oil. 

Oil is a naturally occuring substance, and there are critters that digest the stuff naturally occuring in the Gulf and on the beaches.  Feed them the stuff and they will multiply.  We'll just have to see if there's enough time between now and then.  Also to see if the well remains mostly contained. 

But anyway, If I get all oiled up, just think how fast I'll be able to swim. Smile

I'm also thinking that room rates may be bottoming out here in the near future.
2010-06-07 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2906713

User image

Veteran
Kansas
jashac - 2010-06-07 6:28 PM I'm counting on five months of wind, waves and biology to break up, disperse and digest the oil. 

Oil is a naturally occuring substance, and there are critters that digest the stuff naturally occuring in the Gulf and on the beaches.  Feed them the stuff and they will multiply.  We'll just have to see if there's enough time between now and then.  Also to see if the well remains mostly contained. 

But anyway, If I get all oiled up, just think how fast I'll be able to swim. Smile

I am worrier by nature over things that interfere with my plans.  But I saw this evening there is a plan to replace the current cap with a larger one later this month that will capture nearly all of the oil still leaking out.  While my trust in BP isn't exactly high, I do think within the next 30 days this will become more of a clean up effort, as opposed to a major continuing leak issue.  4 to 5 months should be sufficient for human activity and nature to make IMFL a go come November, as jashac notes.  There, that is my optimism for the day!
2010-06-08 12:56 AM
in reply to: #2907271

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
cjkelly0729 - 2010-06-08 7:53 AM
jashac - 2010-06-07 6:28 PM I'm counting on five months of wind, waves and biology to break up, disperse and digest the oil. 

I am worrier by nature over things that interfere with my plans.  But I saw this evening there is a plan to replace the current cap with a larger one later this month that will capture nearly all of the oil still leaking out.  While my trust in BP isn't exactly high, I do think within the next 30 days this will become more of a clean up effort, as opposed to a major continuing leak issue.  4 to 5 months should be sufficient for human activity and nature to make IMFL a go come November, as jashac notes.  There, that is my optimism for the day!

I figure the same thing...if they manage to cap it and contain the spill sometime soon their is hope!  If not...well...it's a bad situation all around....
2010-06-08 10:56 AM

User image

New user

Coppell
Hopefully they can move to one of the bays and still get the swim in.

2010-06-08 4:57 PM

User image

Regular
Ventura
At a Triathlon, Swimmers Beat Out the Tar Balls

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/us/07triathlon.html?src=mv
2010-06-08 5:44 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Interesting thread on other board about IMFL.

This was one post that I think sums up what WTC could do well:

Well, as a first time ironman participant, I'm extremely concerned regarding the state of affairs in the gulf. The last news I saw said that PC would be expecting the oil in ~72 hours. Obviously, this petty triathlon is just a small pimple in the cosmos, but I'm a little agitated given the significance of this event in my life. I do NOT want to come home and explain to all of my "fans" that "yes I finished ironman florida" but "no, it wasn't a real ironman, more like a long brick". And also, let me say that I'm sure the RD and staff are as shell-shocked as the rest of us are. Not trying to accuse anybody of misconduct, just concerned with the outcome given the financial pressures. I'm of the opinion that there are 3 best case scenarios if Panama City suffers from a worst-case scenario as far as the oil goes and a swim in the gulf is out.
(listed below in order of my personal preference).

1) Make full disclosure of contingency plans providing location of alternate venue for IMFL swim. This would let me stop worrying and concentrate on what I need to do.
2) Cancel IMFL and give entrants a credit & slot to other WTC or non-WTC iron distance races. This would need to be done early enough for us to ramp up training, lay in travel plans, etc. IMKY, IMAZ, B2B, Grand Floridian, etc would all be viable.
3) Cancel IMFL and just give me my money back. Let WTC file for their millions against BP. WTC has bigger pockets and a greater motivation to pursue the lost revenue. I imagine BP looks at me losing my "fun money" about the same as I look at my daughter losing a dime. This would also allow closure on my part and provide me the information necessary to adapt my training for other events, assumming I can gain entry.

Obviously, WTC has a financial incentive to continue the event despite no swim. But given the vast amount of time before the event, they should either fully engage in making a swim available, or commit to just cancelling the whole enchilada, and do it early enough so that we, the racers, can adjust our lives. (See Ironman Japan) If they just cancel the swim, I'm sure they'll have a crapload of people doing the brick and they'll make a crapload of money. But like my grandfather always said "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

I would really like WTC to share some ideas of what possibilities they are considering...it would be nice to know:

A: that no matter what they will have the race and if swim is canceled race will be handled such and such way
B: They are looking into other swim venues
C: They will have solid plan formulated by xxx date and will contact us or post it to the website
2010-06-08 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
That is a good post Kathy!  For me, this is my first IM and probably my only chance to do one for the next 15-20 years.  I work in a demanding job that takes up a lot of hours and my DH and I are going to start a family after IMFL.  I would not be able to do my job, have time with my children and train for an Ironman.  There is no way.  If I end up just doing a really long brick I would not be a happy camper and it would totally take away from my experience.  Even worse if they turn it into a duathlon that would take a lot of the fun away for me because I'm primarily a strong swimmer.

What do you all think, if we can get together a number of registrants for IM in one petition or something, would it get more notice then us all sending individual e-mails?  I can probably access most of the people in my region and in the Ottawa region that are planning on IMFL.  Through the different communities here and on other websites, I bet we could get a decent percent of the total people signed up for the race.
2010-06-08 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2909433

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
KathyG - 2010-06-09 2:44 AM Interesting thread on other board about IMFL.

Well, as a first time ironman participant, I'm extremely concerned regarding the state of affairs in the gulf. The last news I saw said that PC would be expecting the oil in ~72 hours. Obviously, this petty triathlon is just a small pimple in the cosmos, but I'm a little agitated given the significance of this event in my life. I do NOT want to come home and explain to all of my "fans" that "yes I finished ironman florida" but "no, it wasn't a real ironman, more like a long brick". And also, let me say that I'm sure the RD and staff are as shell-shocked as the rest of us are. Not trying to accuse anybody of misconduct, just concerned with the outcome given the financial pressures. I'm of the opinion that there are 3 best case scenarios if Panama City suffers from a worst-case scenario as far as the oil goes and a swim in the gulf is out.

1) Make full disclosure of contingency plans providing location of alternate venue for IMFL swim. This would let me stop worrying and concentrate on what I need to do.
2) Cancel IMFL and give entrants a credit & slot to other WTC or non-WTC iron distance races. This would need to be done early enough for us to ramp up training, lay in travel plans, etc. IMKY, IMAZ, B2B, Grand Floridian, etc would all be viable.
3) Cancel IMFL and just give me my money back. Let WTC file for their millions against BP. WTC has bigger pockets and a greater motivation to pursue the lost revenue. I imagine BP looks at me losing my "fun money" about the same as I look at my daughter losing a dime. This would also allow closure on my part and provide me the information necessary to adapt my training for other events, assumming I can gain entry.

Obviously, WTC has a financial incentive to continue the event despite no swim. But given the vast amount of time before the event, they should either fully engage in making a swim available, or commit to just cancelling the whole enchilada, and do it early enough so that we, the racers, can adjust our lives. (See Ironman Japan) If they just cancel the swim, I'm sure they'll have a crapload of people doing the brick and they'll make a crapload of money. But like my grandfather always said "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

I would really like WTC to share some ideas of what possibilities they are considering...it would be nice to know:

A: that no matter what they will have the race and if swim is canceled race will be handled such and such way
C: They will have solid plan formulated by xxx date and will contact us or post it to the website

The post from the other board has decent points...but what she misses is that much of our entry fee has already been spent...there is no way they could refund everyone's entry fee...just not possible.

I too hope that they come up with some contingency plans.  It would be nice to "know".
2010-06-08 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
SE
i'd be game for a petition.

2010-06-08 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Reading through the ST thread makes me even more anxious. I'll be extremely annoyed pissed if they don't let us know the swim is canceled due to the oil until a day or two before the race. If it's canceled for other weather related reasons I can deal with that.

On a happier note I put on the jammers today for the first time this year. Did a 500 last night in 9:33 and did a 500 tonight in 8:36 so apparently they do make a bit of a difference since I felt like I was putting out the same effort for both sets.
2010-06-08 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
So Ironman had donated $100k to the oil spill relief efforts, but no news on IMFL.

http://ironman.com/mediacenter/pressreleases/ironman-allocates-100000-for-donation-toward-gulf-coast-oil-spill-relief
2010-06-09 10:02 AM

User image

Expert

That is an interesting post Kathy.  I didn't read the other thread yet, but what you posted has some valid points.  I saw a commercial by BP the other day saying "we will make it right" and "we will honor all claims".  Yes, we Ironman triathletes are probably the least of the worries, but the thought did cross my mind that if it gets cancelled, it's because of them and they need to make it right.  Doubt very seriously it will be a claim they would care about, but there are costs associated with the race for all of us.  And please don't flame me for thinking that as I know that the environment and other issues are MUCH more important than a race in the grand scheme of things.

I would, however, like to know what backup plans they are considering, though, so I can plan MY backup plans.  I still want to be optimistic and hope that IMFL can take place as planned, but I also want to have an option in case it doesn't.

2010-06-09 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
I promise I don't sit around getting drunk on Kool Aid everyday, but if it ends up that the new cap is placed on the well around the end of June, and what remains from that point on is a clean up effort, than I am confident a swim in the Gulf off Panana City Beach in November is not in jeopardy.  This is all contingent on the most of the oil being captured, which according to the Admiral overseeing the operation, not BP, is very likely by the end of the month.  That provides 4 months for clean up and human and natural breakdown of the remaining oil. 

Keep your heads up everyone.  We'll all be together at the pre-banquet reminding one another how often we watched that damn underwater camera ...

Edited by cjkelly0729 2010-06-09 1:59 PM
2010-06-11 5:27 AM

User image

Master

http://ironman.com/mediacenter/pressreleases/ironman-allocates-100000-for-donation-toward-gulf-coast-oil-spill-relief

2010-06-11 5:30 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Nice of WTC to donate $100K for clean up efforts...nice publicity but I'd rather they tell their registered athletes what their contingency plans are.

First swim this morning for me post op...geez rare for me to be excited to swim.
2010-06-11 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2909669

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
jldicarlo - 2010-06-08 8:56 PM
KathyG - 2010-06-09 2:44 AM Interesting thread on other board about IMFL.

The post from the other board has decent points...but what she misses is that much of our entry fee has already been spent...there is no way they could refund everyone's entry fee...just not possible.

I too hope that they come up with some contingency plans.  It would be nice to "know".

Sure there is.  Sue BP for loss of revenue.  At this point, who is really going to side with BP?
2010-06-11 2:47 PM

Being the optimistic type, I'm trying to firm up my travel plans and would be grateful for any thoughts on accomodation for IMFL. Cost isn't a particular issue, but location is. I've looked at various options but not being familiar with PCB I don't know where the various hotels/condos are relative to the starting/registration area. Unfortunately the Boardwalk Beach Resort is full, so I would be grateful for any input. The Marriott looks nice, as does the Edgewater Beach but I'm not sure how handy they will be for the race.
Thanks in advance. 
2010-06-11 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Do you want to stay at condo or hotel? There are lots and lots of places to choose from and it being the off season of big resort area you can find great deals. Most places don't fill up and you can get places last minute easily.

We are renting a 3 bedroom condo at Shores of Panama for a week.

You can look at units on Vbro and see what is near by. It is about a 8 minute walk to transition.
2010-06-11 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

Shores of Panama is really nice, we stayed at the Sunbird 2008 and it was great too. This year we are staying at Gulf Crest. It's super close to the finish line (unless they move it) and it's on mile one of the run course. There is a sight VRBO.com that you can find some great deals.

2010-06-11 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
I agree with using vrbo.com to find a place.  Last year I stayed in Sunbird, but this year have a house rented that is one street off of the run course.
2010-06-11 3:45 PM

Thanks, VBRO looks to be a good resource. Ideally looking for a condo so can have easy access to kitchen / laundry. Travelling over from UK on 28th Oct until the 8th Nov so want to make sure we have somewhere pleasant to stay
2010-06-11 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2916449

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
KathyG - 2010-06-11 2:59 PM
We are renting a 3 bedroom condo at Shores of Panama for a week.

You can look at units on Vbro and see what is near by. It is about a 8 minute walk to transition.

Is that before or after the ironman?  

Glad to hear the pike is back in the water.

I'm thinking about making my reservations now as well.  Got to figure out if my grown kids are coming or not.  They both should be in college at the time, but who know's what will actually be.  Three bedroom or one -- I suppose I could go look at prices.
2010-06-11 5:50 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
I've already got a reservation at the summit next door to the boardwalk. Haven't paid in full yet but the deposit has been sent off. Will wait until more news to send the rest of the money.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104