BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-01-08 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3978665

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
SSMinnow - 2012-01-08 8:39 PM
copa2251 - 2012-01-08 3:46 PM Following Kim's success with run-walks in the marathon, what do the other marathon runners here feel about a run-walk strategy?

I've used them for long runs for a few years and found my race times have improved and injuries have decreased but in the actual race I've just walked the aid stations. In my last HM I had to stop for a prolonged period twice when my knee gave way but still hit my target time (1:49) so it makes me wonder if running non-stop is overrated!

I haven't run a stand alone marathon in a several years, but like you I did walk the aid stations in my IM marathon both times.  I think it is the only way to get through it at a reasonable pace.

My everyday running includes periods of walking in almost every run.   I may walk for 3' as part of a warm-up or cool-down, do 10" strides with a 30" walk after each, walk 90" between mile repeats, walk down a hill after hill repeats, etc.   This approach was introduced by my new coach as a way to get in great intensity while preventing injury.  It seems to work well for me.  When it comes to stand alone running races, I run 100% of the time though. 

Given Kim's Success with the run/walk, I'm also very curious with every ones thoughts/experiences with this approach.  I've had others in my old running club mention that they do this during long runs, halfs and fulls.

I have done this during training runs on a sporadic basis... mainly attempts to drop my HR; nothing structured.  However, I too try to run every single step of a race, no matter the distance.  

Edit: I did walk the water stations in both my HMs last year, if that counts.  I still can't drink from a wax cup, run and NOT drown myself.... HAHA!

Any additional thoughts from the MG???

Edited by Scalded_Dawg 2012-01-08 9:18 PM

2012-01-08 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3977753

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

SSMinnow - 2012-01-08 8:18 AM 3:40:25!  A BQ performance with a casual walk through the park! AMAZING.

Awesome job Kim. Love the costume. Can't wait to see the pics. And read the report.

Tiana

2012-01-08 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3978848

User image

Master
Scalded_Dawg - 2012-01-08 7:14 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-01-08 8:39 PM
copa2251 - 2012-01-08 3:46 PM Following Kim's success with run-walks in the marathon, what do the other marathon runners here feel about a run-walk strategy?

I've used them for long runs for a few years and found my race times have improved and injuries have decreased but in the actual race I've just walked the aid stations. In my last HM I had to stop for a prolonged period twice when my knee gave way but still hit my target time (1:49) so it makes me wonder if running non-stop is overrated!

I haven't run a stand alone marathon in a several years, but like you I did walk the aid stations in my IM marathon both times.  I think it is the only way to get through it at a reasonable pace.

My everyday running includes periods of walking in almost every run.   I may walk for 3' as part of a warm-up or cool-down, do 10" strides with a 30" walk after each, walk 90" between mile repeats, walk down a hill after hill repeats, etc.   This approach was introduced by my new coach as a way to get in great intensity while preventing injury.  It seems to work well for me.  When it comes to stand alone running races, I run 100% of the time though. 

Given Kim's Success with the run/walk, I'm also very curious with every ones thoughts/experiences with this approach.  I've had others in my old running club mention that they do this during long runs, halfs and fulls.

I have done this during training runs on a sporadic basis... mainly attempts to drop my HR; nothing structured.  However, I too try to run every single step of a race, no matter the distance.  

Edit: I did walk the water stations in both my HMs last year, if that counts.  I still can't drink from a wax cup, run and NOT drown myself.... HAHA!

Any additional thoughts from the MG???

I've done run-walk in training and previous marathon racing and during my IMs. One summer, after having two kids in as many years, I ran three marathons (PR'ed in all 3) using Galloway's methods exclusively. Used Galloway for the next 3 marathons and had 2 more PRs. Then ran a marathon running all the way and tanked -- in hindsight I think I was over-trained and under-tapered, but who knows. I tend only to run anymore, with occasional walking if I need to get liquids (I, too, have not mastered running and drinking). Might do a June marathon with girlfriend who will use Galloway, and if I do long runs with her we'll probably do run/walk. I do find that, for long runs, it makes a huge difference in terms of recovery time and energy level even later that day. I have been able to run/walk 24 miles early in the morning and then do anything a mother of young children does on a weekend day... That's much harder when you run the 24 w/o the walk breaks!!

I'm a fan of run/walk for injury prevention, recovery, to break up monotany, etc. And really, anything that gets people out there and challenging their limits is what it's all about IMO. I also did a lot of run/walk as I built back up gradually during IM training post hamstring tear...

2012-01-08 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3978848

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

I built up my running endurance last spring using a run/walk split, but haven't gone back to it since then.  I have given a lot of thought to it lately though, as I am looking to run a HM later this year.  I was thinking of experimenting on longer runs during the summer/early fall to see how it affected my times.  After seeing today's results, I'm hoping it makes me run like Kim.  Tongue out

Regarding drowning, do you bend the cup and drink from the "v"?

Edited by tdl1972 2012-01-08 10:23 PM
2012-01-09 12:47 AM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Kim.... Amazing! Great great stuff and what a way to start the year!!!
2012-01-09 5:48 AM
in reply to: #3978943

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
tdl1972 - 2012-01-08 11:22 PM

Regarding drowning, do you bend the cup and drink from the "v"?

Yeah David, I pinch the top of the cup together and then pretty much suck the water out of the smaller opening; as you would a straw.  All the while, huffing thru my nose for air... that's where the drowning occurs.  At times I get over zealous tipping the cup up and water comes out the top end and right down my nose.... and Murphy's Law requires that to happen while inhaling.

Hey, I get a really nice sinus cavity flush while I'm at the water station!  yuck!

Thanks for the run/walk thoughts Kyla!

Edited by Scalded_Dawg 2012-01-09 5:49 AM

2012-01-09 6:50 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

I can't imagine you lose any significant time by walking for a few paces to get a drink, better to get the fluids in than have to wait for another mile or so.

I read an article by Amby Burfoot in Runners World where he says he now treats every run as an interval session using walk breaks, when he runs long the walk breaks allow him to maintain a consistent aerobic pace and on shorter runs the walk breaks separate his speed intervals. I like any advice that gives me an excuse for being a slacker!

2012-01-09 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3979146

User image

Master
Maryland
copa2251 - 2012-01-09 7:50 AM

I can't imagine you lose any significant time by walking for a few paces to get a drink, better to get the fluids in than have to wait for another mile or so.

I read an article by Amby Burfoot in Runners World where he says he now treats every run as an interval session using walk breaks, when he runs long the walk breaks allow him to maintain a consistent aerobic pace and on shorter runs the walk breaks separate his speed intervals. I like any advice that gives me an excuse for being a slacker!

Anyone training is NOT a slacker!! Do what works for you and kudos for listening to your body and working it!

2012-01-09 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3979235

User image

Elite
san francisco
Terps421 - 2012-01-09 5:43 AM

Anyone training is NOT a slacker!! Do what works for you and kudos for listening to your body and working it!

Yeah! What she said! I have lots of thoughts on this after my experiences this weekend...one thing that stands out is to stick with the full walk interval and get up to speed fairly quickly on the run part...make sure you don't lull into the pace of those around you, they will be slower than you right when you finish your walk and you will pass a bunch (who will pass you back). If all goes well, you will not see them again after about mile 24! Takes willpower and faith! I am a believer! That ice cream was the BEST ever! My legs and feet do not hurt at all today!
2012-01-09 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Dayum.  I really need to be better about keeping up with you guys....

Am I the only one who doesn't workout with music?  I don't even listen to music in the car.  I swear if it wasn't for my girlfriends teenage daughter I wouldn't even know of Katy Perry.

Hawt damn, Kim!  Mrs Speedy!  So incredibly impressed by you. Love the costume too!

Kyla- Congrats on the 100 day challenge!  

Rachel- many prayers to your cousin and all your family.  I canNOT imagine the pain of losing a child.

Deb- I also find TM running more difficult.  I've always assumed its bc 1) I do it rarely as I don't have one for regular use and 2) mental block bc there is less outside stimulation to keep you from realizing you're a hamster on a wheel.

2012-01-09 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3979315

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
mighty mom - 2012-01-09 8:26 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't workout with music?  I don't even listen to music in the car.  I swear if it wasn't for my girlfriends teenage daughter I wouldn't even know of Katy Perry.

Hawt damn, Kim!  Mrs Speedy!  So incredibly impressed by you. Love the costume too!

Rachel- many prayers to your cousin and all your family.  I canNOT imagine the pain of losing a child.

Deb- I also find TM running more difficult.  I've always assumed its bc 1) I do it rarely as I don't have one for regular use and 2) mental block bc there is less outside stimulation to keep you from realizing you're a hamster on a wheel.

Nope, you are not alone.  I don't run with music anymore either.  There have been studies that suggest it is a motivator though and you may actually run longer/push harder if you use it.  I quit because I felt I needed to learn how to stay focused under duress since this is the way I always race.

2012-01-09 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I've never really trained at a distance/time long enought to need a walk/run, but for my upcoming HIM training, maybe this may make sense on the longer (1:30+) planned runs?

Also, a big shout out to how great it is to find a masters swimming class. Have been in it 5 weeks, and can sense a big difference in my swim. Feels great. Went early this AM to warm up, and ended up doing a mile straight, before class even started. Got to 400 yards and it felt good, so I decided to see where it went. Total workout was just shy of 3000 yards. Would have been more, but had to bail early on class due to work reasons. Feeling good about my swim as i head into HIM training.
2012-01-09 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
No music here either. I always find my run pace changed with the beat of the music, and that wasn't much fun. Plus, most of my running is very early AM in the dark, and I like to be aware of what is going on around me.
2012-01-09 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3979296

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
kt65 - 2012-01-09 8:17 AM
Terps421 - 2012-01-09 5:43 AM

Yeah! What she said! I have lots of thoughts on this after my experiences this weekend...one thing that stands out is to stick with the full walk interval and get up to speed fairly quickly on the run part...make sure you don't lull into the pace of those around you, they will be slower than you right when you finish your walk and you will pass a bunch (who will pass you back). If all goes well, you will not see them again after about mile 24! Takes willpower and faith! I am a believer! That ice cream was the BEST ever! My legs and feet do not hurt at all today!

I'm in total awe Kim!!!  You are an amazing runner.

On the run/walk front, I think it is an awesome approach and as demonstrated by Kim does not mean a slow approach.  I used it early on in my training and I have a friend who always runs that way to prevent injury and she's pretty speedy. 

But like any training it takes practice and planning.  For me the hardest part, it overcoming the mental stigma of walking in a race.  That is where I need the most discipline.

2012-01-09 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3979335

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SSMinnow - 2012-01-09 9:33 AM
mighty mom - 2012-01-09 8:26 AM

Nope, you are not alone.  I don't run with music anymore either.  There have been studies that suggest it is a motivator though and you may actually run longer/push harder if you use it.  I quit because I felt I needed to learn how to stay focused under duress since this is the way I always race.

That makes sense.  I do have an iPod which I got for xmas yrs ago, just have never set it up.  I can also see myself getting into trouble by losing myself into the music and not paying attention to my surroundings. 

Question for the MG.  My biggest worry come IM is my nutrition and I've completely revamped my entire diet to eating well.  With this I've been tracking my diet on myfitnesspal and found I'm only getting in about 40-50% of my daily recommended values of calcium and iron.  Protein could be up 10-20 gms too.  Any food ideas for beefing those values up w/o increasing fat/cholesterol?   

2012-01-09 8:51 AM

User image

Regular

Thanks for the treadmill feedback.  Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.  I'll look for the triathlete magazine article.  Is that the newest issue?  The last one I got was the Kona one, so I'll have to look for it.  Generally, I can break it up enough to stay sane, and I'm not going to worry about it if I walk 1 minute out of every 10-15.

As for music, I generally don't train with it.  My exceptions are running on the track by myself (which won't happen as much now that I have a treadmill) and training on the treadmill or bike trainer, although in those cases I generally watch tv instead.  I ran with it when I first started, but stopped when I realized I needed to run without for races.  I found I actually prefer running without.

I'm looking forward to this week, because we get back into a real routine.  My kids go back to preschool, which gives me a 2 hour block twice a week to train in.  (I'm a stay at home mom).  Obviously, I can't do everything then, but I love having that obligation free time.  My coached swim starts up again tonight as well and I'm still a new enough swimmer that I can really use the feedback.

Plus, I'll be doing a little bit of a swim focus for a few weeks.  I managed to get both of my kids into swim lessons at exactly the same time, at a time when there is lane swim.  It's only 30 minutes, twice a week, but I figure that little bit of extra can be really good for me, particularly if I keep my other swimming.  I'm not planning on working really hard during those short sessions, but rather really focusing on technique.

The only frustration is I was really looking forward to spin class starting up too, but my husband scheduled an appointment during that time, so I have to miss the first one.  ARG!  Doesn't he know that I am number 1?  

2012-01-09 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Oh and forgot to include... I've been looking at a Nov break to FL. 
2012-01-09 9:52 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Oh my goodness, my legs are still so sore from Saturday's return to running.  Ugh.......
2012-01-09 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Jeff (hubby) signed up for IM St. George!!!   I'm going to Sherpa in Utah!   I'm really excited for him - and for me!  All of the adrenaline and enthusiasm of the Ironman...and it won't hurt a bit!!

And Kim, can't believe nothing hurts.  I need some coaching from you, girl.

I am  big believer in the run/walk marathon, although I don't have a pattern.  I run until I can't, then I walk for 30 seconds or so, then pick it back up.   It's been working for me, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way.

14 weeks.......

2012-01-09 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3979598

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
velcromom - 2012-01-09 10:59 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Jeff (hubby) signed up for IM St. George!!!   I'm going to Sherpa in Utah!   I'm really excited for him - and for me!  All of the adrenaline and enthusiasm of the Ironman...and it won't hurt a bit!!

And Kim, can't believe nothing hurts.  I need some coaching from you, girl.

I am  big believer in the run/walk marathon, although I don't have a pattern.  I run until I can't, then I walk for 30 seconds or so, then pick it back up.   It's been working for me, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way.

14 weeks.......

One of the best days of the year.  Anyone else from the MG racing? 

Congrats to Jeff!

2012-01-09 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3979598

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

Congratulations Jeff. Good luck in St George.

What is Sherpa in Utah?

Tiana

Edited by tritiny 2012-01-09 10:25 AM

2012-01-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3979411

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

mighty mom - 2012-01-09 8:54 AM Oh and forgot to include... I've been looking at a Nov break to FL. 

Cool!

Regarding your diet question, do you take a multi-vitamin? extra calcium?  if not, it could be a way to get the missing minerals.  As my workouts lengthen, chocolate milk becomes my recovery beverage and that also is a way to get the calcium without a lot of fat.  I am also an egg eater (it is a very high quality protein), but that will add a little cholesterol to your day.

I think nutrition is most people's undoing at the IM distance.  Finding what works in training is as important as the training itself.  I applaud your healthful eating, but don't undereat during this time.  You need CHOs, protein and fats to fuel that body!

2012-01-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3979667

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
tritiny - 2012-01-09 8:24 AM

Congratulations Jeff. Good luck in St George.

What is Sherpa in Utah?

Tiana

a Sherpa is the person that helps haul all of your gear at a big race - gets you food, makes the day as easy as possible outside of the actual race.  Kinda like a wife, ya know?!?  I did it in Canada for him, but now I know my way around lots more - this is going to be fun!  Plus, I owe him for how well he's taken care of me at Boston and other races I did solo.

2012-01-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3979692

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SSMinnow - 2012-01-09 11:29 AM

mighty mom - 2012-01-09 8:54 AM Oh and forgot to include... I've been looking at a Nov break to FL. 

Cool!

Regarding your diet question, do you take a multi-vitamin? extra calcium?  if not, it could be a way to get the missing minerals.  As my workouts lengthen, chocolate milk becomes my recovery beverage and that also is a way to get the calcium without a lot of fat.  I am also an egg eater (it is a very high quality protein), but that will add a little cholesterol to your day.

I think nutrition is most people's undoing at the IM distance.  Finding what works in training is as important as the training itself.  I applaud your healthful eating, but don't undereat during this time.  You need CHOs, protein and fats to fuel that body!

I was thinking multi-vitamin too.  Love eggs and eat them regularly.  I'm trying not to focus on the calories as much as eating quality food with the right balance of nutrients.  Adding a glass of chocolate milk and exchanging spinach instead of mixed greens might be enough.  Just need to play around with it a bit more.  ?Been looking at a Zone type diet with 40-30-30.  (Again, not trying to be super number conscious or strict just thinking about tweaking things so that generally I'm hitting the right balance.)  Do you think it's more important to find the right ratio or do you try to hit an amount based on number of grams/BW?

2012-01-09 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Some good pictures from this Cyclocross Nationals Race this weekend if anybody is interested:  

Here

FYI, that's me on the left in the black striped hat and sunglasses in the Saturday images 52 / 53 / 54 / 55 working on my National level heckling, doing some dollar hand-ups, and ringing the cowbell.  We actually handed up a full 12 pack of beers later in the day during the 35-39 and 30-34 masters races.  The ladies next to us were from the Univ of Iowa and were handing out their phone numbers on little sheets of paper.  

It was AWESOME to see the talent out there.  Guys that ran away from the field during our CX season around here were in the back 1/2 of the field on the National stage after the 1st lap.  And smooth, the guys at the tip of arrow were powering away from the field while looking they were out for a Sunday morning group ride.    

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117