BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-06-04 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4244247

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
ArielLIlB - 2012-06-04 5:06 PM

Hi everyone! Quick drive by -

Jo - AMAZING!  Did you see the screen shot on here?? I was reading through the updates day after, and it was still exciting. What an accomplishment! can't wait to read about it.

My race...well, was cold and wet and windy. So no blazing times, but it's my first DU, so it's a PR either way! haha! My race report is up  It would have been so much fun if it was nice out.  As it was, well, I was quite sick of the rain within the first hour.

Wow, those were some tough conditions - very well done!

2012-06-04 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4244471

User image

Melon Presser
KansasMom - 2012-06-05 6:40 AM
TriAya - 2012-06-04 1:48 PM

I was gonna say. I think TMI is a Manatee pre-req.

Oh, good. Here's my question.

During the summer, I run a lot at night. And I mean, sometimes late-late, like starting the run after 10:00 p.m. I just have to because it's so dang hot during the day and the heat starts early in the morning.

Anyway, normally, I would never dream of running in just shorts and a running bra, but I am considering it on these late night runs because wearing a shirt is really uncomfortable.

So my question is, would it be okay if I wore a running bra and shorts with my lovely mesh/reflective vest and my head lamp if it is after 10:00 p.m. and maybe no one will notice what I'm not wearing?

I am a 34/36D, if that makes a difference. And I'm 50. It's not like I'm a 34B and 20 years old; I wouldn't even hesitate if that were the case.

Sorry if this is TMI or puts a nasty picture in your brain. I'll try to cleanse your brain with a cute kitty.

cute kitty

No no no! Don't Tom-Demerly us!

I have no idea what the TMI part of your post is.

If it were legal (which it is in many places, including, not surprisingly Austin, but surprisingly, New York) and not painful (which is nowhere for us D girls) I'd tell ya to run topless. It's a free country! Wear what you like!

Also, nobody, and I mean nobody ever remembers what anyone else running wears. I only remember stuff like guys carrying boom boxes (during a MARATHON), barefoot runners (but only because he was running with a pregnant lady), the guy who was carrying a baby but had a Chihuahua in the stroller, etc. I definitely don't remember what people wear when I'm just out for training runs, not even if it really, really, really, really stood out.

2012-06-04 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4244488

User image

Master

During the summer, I run a lot at night. And I mean, sometimes late-late, like starting the run after 10:00 p.m. I just have to because it's so dang hot during the day and the heat starts early in the morning.

Anyway, normally, I would never dream of running in just shorts and a running bra, but I am considering it on these late night runs because wearing a shirt is really uncomfortable.

So my question is, would it be okay if I wore a running bra and shorts with my lovely mesh/reflective vest and my head lamp if it is after 10:00 p.m. and maybe no one will notice what I'm not wearing?

I am a 34/36D, if that makes a difference. And I'm 50. It's not like I'm a 34B and 20 years old; I wouldn't even hesitate if that were the case.

Sorry if this is TMI or puts a nasty picture in your brain. I'll try to cleanse your brain with a cute kitty.

Oh man, do your thing! Certainly no complaints here Wink Really, you should, and everyone should, do what makes them comfortable. YOU are the one out there working your butt off! 

The only thing that goes into my head is red flags of safety. But obviously running at night as a female has its risks regardless. 

This would be my only concern.  Other than that, if that is what you have to be comfortable to be able to get your training in, I say go for it.  Likely with your reflective vest (I call mine the dork vest), no one will notice anyway...

2012-06-04 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4243159

User image

Master
Orlando
jmkizer - 2012-06-04 10:44 AM
melbo55 - 2012-06-04 10:36 AM

Brie and Janyne, please update us with how your races went!

3 Mountain Madness went well.  I had fun and I have to admit that it did cross my mind a few times that more gears might help.  Surprised  

The ride takes place near Mount Airy, NC -- and yes, they do have a Andy Griffith Museum.  I think that one of the attractions is riding the the squad car.  A lot of people from the Raleigh area went up for the ride this year so I saw a lot of friends at the start and finish.  The weather was great -- about 60 and sunny at the start ant low 70s at the finish.  All three climbs well.  I posted photos in my training log and did a ride report.

It's great to do an event where everyone has smiles on their faces at the end.

I can't even imagine riding those hills   Congrats!

2012-06-04 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
KansasMom - 2012-06-04 6:40 PM

cute kitty

Who cares what anyone else thinks, if you feel comfortable do it.  Of course, Orlando just got voted one of the worst dressed cities, so what do I know

Cute kitty!

2012-06-04 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4244530

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-06-04 7:03 PM
KansasMom - 2012-06-04 6:40 PM

Who cares what anyone else thinks, if you feel comfortable do it.  Of course, Orlando just got voted one of the worst dressed cities, so what do I know

Cute kitty!

Awesome! I think Seattle took second place on that one. Go us!

2012-06-04 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4244481

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
KansasMom - 2012-06-04 7:44 PM
Artemis - 2012-06-04 3:34 PM

I DO remember that!  There were some great pics.  I also loved the Elvis run.

We found out that there is a 10k at Virginia Beach for Halloween that will let us bring E in the jogging stroller!!  I'm trying to convince my hubby that we should dress up as the Incredibles.  I think it would be pretty easy to pull off and a really fun family costume.

Oh, Jen! Please, please do this. It would be so cute.

Wouldn't it be so awesome?!  I'm so excited about the idea.  He's pretty convinced that it would be ok.  He's not super sold on the tights, but I did say that he gets to wear shorts over.

2012-06-04 7:20 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
KansasMom - 2012-06-04 7:40 PM

cute kitty

I think you're going to get a lot of guys asking you for pictures.  

2012-06-04 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Felicia, I've been considering the same thing (although I don't think I was a D even when I was pregnant!). I am much more aero.... But I'm about your age. I run in the morning so I'm considering getting one of the mesh-like shirts they have at REI to get at least some sun protection. Wear what's comfortable!

As for my day, I did a 23 minute swim. I'm TAPERING, in my head that sounds like I'm PMSing or I'm ovulating Surprised. But it was funny because when I started 23 was a long swim!

2012-06-04 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4244115

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2012-06-04 5:12 PM

• ..That's pole dancing in a tacky Christmas sweater, thank you very much. All part of bringing sexy back. 

At our family reunions the following things have happened:

-60 acre forest fire

-overturned bayliner ski boat

-totaled 2011 shelby mustang

-corvette broke through iced over lake they were driving on 

the list actually goes on but I am starting to feel a little self conscious. Maybe what I am asking is for you to all pray for my safe journey and getting run miles in is not what I should be worried about. 

• I'll be keeping you, your family, your automobiles and the surrounding acreage in my prayers

Haywood sounds cool, what a place filled with history. Enjoy the event!
    2012-06-04 9:20 PM
    in reply to: #4244569

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida
    Artemis - 2012-06-04 8:20 PM

cute kitty

I think you're going to get a lot of guys asking you for pictures.  

Yeah, and not pics of cute cats either.

2012-06-04 10:23 PM
    in reply to: #4244677

User image

Master
    Central Kansas
    rrrunner - 2012-06-04 8:26 PM

Felicia, I've been considering the same thing (although I don't think I was a D even when I was pregnant!). I am much more aero.... But I'm about your age. I run in the morning so I'm considering getting one of the mesh-like shirts they have at REI to get at least some sun protection. Wear what's comfortable!

Thanks, everyone. I wore a shirt under my reflective vest tonight -- it was just 80 degrees. But I am really warm out there. It's only going to get hotter. So I'm thinking that eventually, I will be donning an orange or green running bra sans shirt under my reflective vest. Weren't we just talking about bringing sexy back??? Surprised

Yanti -- I did post that kitty in Tom's honor. He's so funny. "Here's a random question. Oh, and a kitty."

Chris -- Hmmm. I don't know about people wanting a picture of me -- what with the reflective vest and head lamp . . . and then there's the semi-asthmatic wheezing . . . and today, my left leg brushed up against my filthy bike chain (I swear, I cleaned it last week), so I have this lovely splotchy grease spot up and down the outside of my left calf . . I'm just a mess! lol

Salty -- It's pretty safe where I run. Just tonight, I probably ran into a dozen people I know well out and about, either walking, riding, playing tennis, etc.

Edited by KansasMom 2012-06-04 10:26 PM
    2012-06-04 10:50 PM

User image

Elite

MANATEES!!!!!!!!

Wow what a buzz to read all your support and how you tracked me and everything!  Awesome!

It was the GREATEST day EVER!!!!  When we arrived in Cairns on Saturday it was raining so hard, still very warm but wet.  I was worried - I don't ride in the rain that often or that well!  It cleared up in the evening when I was chatting with MACCA!!!!!!!  He had just got the news he didn't make the Olympic team - I told him he so should have how he was my hero and then I got a hug and photo!  Awesome - he was in high spirits - proving he is happy whatever happens, don't let your competitors see you're rattled!  What a player!

Sunday however was glorious - hot and sunny beautiful.  I'll briefly run through but the main will be on the race report..later.

The water - brown and yucky, couldn't see your hand in front of your face.  Jet skis were sent in for half an hour to churn up the water - later we learned this was because there was a salt water crocodile in there so they wanted to scare it off - oh and a shark apparently (wouldve swum way faster had I have known!!)

Swim - long but I loved it, felt confident in there - no panic really after the first 20m or so.  Couldn't draft, everyone was crazy with their sighting, I swam so close to the buoys I was dead straight but not many toes around going as straight as me!  Took an age to do that first 820m with the tide against us but when we turned for home we rocketed along.  I got run over by Macca about then too - mmmmm.

Out of the water - calf cramps both legs on the 500m run to transition.  I knew I was in trouble then   The bike - the bit I dreaded - well it couldn't have gone smoother.  I mounted with no dramas first part I was actually doing about 27-28kph until we hit the HILLS.  Yeah not just the one like I thought more like 8-10 winding hairpin bends with steep descents and very steep ascents.  Lots of people walking up.  Not me!!! So proud I just pedalled - occasionally i would drop to 7kph but I endeavoured on the steep climbs to stay at 11kph.

Then the ride back to transition about 30km - well I was smashed!  Not much left to give.  My speed should have been around 28kph but I struggled to get to 24 or 26.

About this time I stopped worrying about cut off times - not one vehicle out there cutting off so I figured they weren't going to bother with us Halvies!

Dismounted, didn't fall, another calf cramp though.  Started my run, a little hot now and out of breath.  So I did a few kms of run/walk 1min 1min.  First aid station I had a coke and some watermelon as well as water and lots of ice down my crop top!  I could then manage a 2min/1min run walk. I was well on target.

10km in massive calf cramp in right calf - felt like i'd torn it as i have in the past.  Walked it out.  Ran again, this time cramp in both legs.  Walked it out.  Discovered I could run 45secs and walk one minute, seemed to work.  Every aid station ate and drank everything!  A lovely girl gave me some salt tablets and I think they kicked in by the end - didn't account for the heat element!

I was over the cutoff in the end but not by as much as it seems.  Cut off was 7.30 and my time was actually 7.39 as we started late.  I didn't care!  On my run the IM were coming through, high fived Macca a few times, cheered on Cam Brown - oh man he suffers in the heat!  That little freckled face of his!

Some acquaintances from Melbourne were in fancy dress about 600m from the end - they had chalked out a 100m no walk zone - I had to run there they wouldn't let ANYBODY walk.  Macca gave them all a hug every time he went through - I'm in love.

Then Nicki's husband Alan was right beside me - he said Jo, you got 500m you're running this home, switch off your brain, switch off the pain and let's go, he ran beside me to the end - my cramps disappeared and there it was the finish line!

The day is a blur!  I loved every minute - never got down even once - didn't get emotional, smiled all day, thanked every volunteer, every policeman, every fire truck that hosed me down!

We stayed til about 9pm watching the IM finishing - just amazing.

What would I do differently:

Swim - wear my sleeveless wettie, who cares about jellyfish, i'm way too restricted in a full and my shoulders get sore.  Oh swim faster, there's crocs in that water!!

Bike - oh more T.I.T.S!!!!  Not worried about my lack of actual road time, but more hill training on the trainer - really hard stuff.

Run - well cater for the heat, salt tablets, bananas, milk etc.

All in all - well I'll be doing it again next year folks!!!!!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT - MANATEES ROCK!!!!!

2012-06-04 10:52 PM

User image

Elite

my hero...

(macca and me.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    macca and me.jpg (7KB - 13 downloads)
    2012-06-04 10:57 PM

User image

Elite

and again......

(macca.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    macca.jpg (40KB - 8 downloads)
    2012-06-04 11:30 PM
    in reply to: #4244890

User image

Master
    Central Kansas
    jobaxas - 2012-06-04 10:50 PM

MANATEES!!!!!!!!

Wow what a buzz to read all your support and how you tracked me and everything!  Awesome!

It was the GREATEST day EVER!!!!  When we arrived in Cairns on Saturday it was raining so hard, still very warm but wet.  I was worried - I don't ride in the rain that often or that well!  It cleared up in the evening when I was chatting with MACCA!!!!!!!  He had just got the news he didn't make the Olympic team - I told him he so should have how he was my hero and then I got a hug and photo!  Awesome - he was in high spirits - proving he is happy whatever happens, don't let your competitors see you're rattled!  What a player!

Sunday however was glorious - hot and sunny beautiful.  I'll briefly run through but the main will be on the race report..later.

The water - brown and yucky, couldn't see your hand in front of your face.  Jet skis were sent in for half an hour to churn up the water - later we learned this was because there was a salt water crocodile in there so they wanted to scare it off - oh and a shark apparently (wouldve swum way faster had I have known!!)

Swim - long but I loved it, felt confident in there - no panic really after the first 20m or so.  Couldn't draft, everyone was crazy with their sighting, I swam so close to the buoys I was dead straight but not many toes around going as straight as me!  Took an age to do that first 820m with the tide against us but when we turned for home we rocketed along.  I got run over by Macca about then too - mmmmm.

Out of the water - calf cramps both legs on the 500m run to transition.  I knew I was in trouble then   The bike - the bit I dreaded - well it couldn't have gone smoother.  I mounted with no dramas first part I was actually doing about 27-28kph until we hit the HILLS.  Yeah not just the one like I thought more like 8-10 winding hairpin bends with steep descents and very steep ascents.  Lots of people walking up.  Not me!!! So proud I just pedalled - occasionally i would drop to 7kph but I endeavoured on the steep climbs to stay at 11kph.

Then the ride back to transition about 30km - well I was smashed!  Not much left to give.  My speed should have been around 28kph but I struggled to get to 24 or 26.

About this time I stopped worrying about cut off times - not one vehicle out there cutting off so I figured they weren't going to bother with us Halvies!

Dismounted, didn't fall, another calf cramp though.  Started my run, a little hot now and out of breath.  So I did a few kms of run/walk 1min 1min.  First aid station I had a coke and some watermelon as well as water and lots of ice down my crop top!  I could then manage a 2min/1min run walk. I was well on target.

10km in massive calf cramp in right calf - felt like i'd torn it as i have in the past.  Walked it out.  Ran again, this time cramp in both legs.  Walked it out.  Discovered I could run 45secs and walk one minute, seemed to work.  Every aid station ate and drank everything!  A lovely girl gave me some salt tablets and I think they kicked in by the end - didn't account for the heat element!

I was over the cutoff in the end but not by as much as it seems.  Cut off was 7.30 and my time was actually 7.39 as we started late.  I didn't care!  On my run the IM were coming through, high fived Macca a few times, cheered on Cam Brown - oh man he suffers in the heat!  That little freckled face of his!

Some acquaintances from Melbourne were in fancy dress about 600m from the end - they had chalked out a 100m no walk zone - I had to run there they wouldn't let ANYBODY walk.  Macca gave them all a hug every time he went through - I'm in love.

Then Nicki's husband Alan was right beside me - he said Jo, you got 500m you're running this home, switch off your brain, switch off the pain and let's go, he ran beside me to the end - my cramps disappeared and there it was the finish line!

The day is a blur!  I loved every minute - never got down even once - didn't get emotional, smiled all day, thanked every volunteer, every policeman, every fire truck that hosed me down!

Swim - wear my sleeveless wettie, who cares about jellyfish, i'm way too restricted in a full and my shoulders get sore.  Oh swim faster, there's crocs in that water!!

Bike - oh more T.I.T.S!!!!  Not worried about my lack of actual road time, but more hill training on the trainer - really hard stuff.

Awesome, Jo! Just awesome. And MACCA. <sigh>

Crocs . . . sharks . . . hair pin turns. You are amazing. So strong.

I love the energy and excitement that flows from your writing. I can tell you had a great time. You make me want to try it.

2012-06-05 12:35 AM

User image

Master
    jobaxas - 2012-06-04 8:50 PM

MANATEES!!!!!!!!

Oh, Jo, tears reading this!  I'm sooooooo glad you had such a great time, despite crocs and sharks and calf cramps.  I had hoped that you got some Macca love, I'm sure it helped Laughing.  So proud of you!  I hope you are getting some well deserved rest!

2012-06-05 12:39 AM

User image

Elite

mmmm forgot to say on the Monday we were scheduled to fly out at 10.35am - after much delay and boredom we finally left at 9.45pm...got home to bed at 3am today and up for work at 6am.  Not the envisaged rest!

Early night tonight - I feel like i'm falling through the day here!

2012-06-05 3:52 AM

User image

Elite
    RACE REPORT'S UP!
    2012-06-05 8:08 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Of course it's OK.  The main thing is to be comfortable.  Honestly, your headlamp will blind anyone who is out and about anyway (if not, get a stronger headlamp).

2012-06-05 8:20 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area
    jobaxas - 2012-06-04 11:50 PM

MANATEES!!!!!!!!

It was the GREATEST day EVER!!!!

It's great to hear from you and I'm so glad that you had so much fun!  Thank you for sharing it with us Smile

2012-06-05 8:43 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Jo-  Sounds like a great race!  Great job powering through those cramps!!

Salty- Enjoy the crazy family reunion, just keep a fire extinguisher close at hand

Felicia- Run in what is comfortable, you wont be the only one out there.

As for me, a off day so double workout, mowing the lawn, groceries for today and much the same tomorrow.

2012-06-05 8:52 AM
    in reply to: #4245319

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area
    Tripopo - 2012-06-05 9:43 AM

As for me, a off day so double workout, mowing the lawn, groceries for today and much the same tomorrow.

Is that a lawn mowing-grocery brick or ???

2012-06-05 8:58 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
    Yeah brain is still not quite back to normal...  tried to spell progress as progreress yesterday and couldn't figure out why it was wrong...  need to get a workout in
    2012-06-05 9:17 AM
    in reply to: #4245214

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida
    jmkizer - 2012-06-05 9:08 AM

Of course it's OK.  The main thing is to be comfortable.  Honestly, your headlamp will blind anyone who is out and about anyway (if not, get a stronger headlamp).

OK, now for my actual answer: Comfort wins! If you feel safe, then do it. And really, if it matters, look around at what people are wearing when they are exercising. I looked in my closet and realized I have more spandex than Olivia Newton John. It may not be the best look, but it is the most comfortable. So, if less clothes = more comfort, then "you go girl"!

Today's words of wisdom come from one of my favorite BTers "Sulk. I wanted to keep talking about sexxeh bike porn and enjoying T.I.T.S..." Anyone care to guess?
    New Thread
    CLOSED
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80