Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2009-02-09 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1953135

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED

trying1 - 2009-02-09 4:16 PM Hi everyone, I hope everyone had a great weekend.  Mine was so so (so part of the post is me complaining)..  It was great to spend time with the baby, wife, and friends and also great to get the first real ride of the year in on my new bike (new for me).  Only reason why it was so so was due to all the traffic I had to deal with in the city (pedestrian and cars).  I think I almost got hit like 5 times by cars and almost ran over some people in central park (some cabbies are so dangerous, they do anything to get a fare).  Pedestrians for some reason think it's ok to walk in rows in the middle of the streets going through central park.  I don't believe they know it's an active street.  It's weird the runners run in the running lane the bikers bike towards the rt of the street yet people walking don't use the side walk.  There were a group of parents talking to each other not paying attention to their children and there were a group of us riding that almost hit the kids.  It's crazy, parents need to pay attention to what's going around their kids especially in NYC.  The parents were surprise we were angry with them!

On a separate note, does anyone have any running workouts they can suggest?  I’ve been reading about tempo runs but don't really understand them as many articles say different things.  It seems like my running is getting worse while everything else seems to be improving.  I used to never have problems with improving the run but since November I’ve either stayed at the same level or declined.

City riding is an art and does take time to get used to. 

As far as running workouts I will repeat my suggestion for using the runnersworld.com plans

Here are a few examples of the tempo/speed runs that are in my plan, the other runs are either short or long runs at a certain pace.

Tempo

Distance 5 miles

1.5 mile warmup
3 miles @ 9:22/mile
1.5 mile cooldown
Speed

Distance 5 miles
1 mile warmup
1 mile @ 8:51
1/2 mile jog
1 mile @ 8:51
1/2 mile jog
1 mile cooldown

Tempo workouts are best done on a flat course speed is best done at the track IMO

These are 2 early workouts in my 16 week 1/2 marathon plan they are a lot longer now but you get the idea.

Also for swim plans, someone here pointed me out to www.swimplan.com and it has some great workouts.  I do use the BT plans but sometimes when in-between plans I use some of the other website offerings, and for pure running I prefer the runnersworld ones.

Edited by dalessit 2009-02-09 4:42 PM

2009-02-09 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Good suggestions on the running improvements. I, like Tracy, use the speed drill techniques for improving my runs. You will occassionally hit plateaus during your trainng and this is not necessarily bad. Your body needs to adjust to the different things you are doing. I on the other hand rarely listen to my own advice and pay the price of being exhausted and worn down.
The runners world suggestion from Tony is also very good. It was through there that I learned to slow down my distance runs and not try to go at the same speed as the shorter runs.

I had a good swim today and think I finally have a good technique down. Now to work up to the IM distance so that I will be ready for the HIM.
2009-02-09 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I made it outside for a run on Saturday.  It was a glorious day!!  Well, it was 45º and cloudy, but I was outside running!  It felt so good.  Of course, on Sunday I started getting sick again with a bad cold.  I already told work that I would not be in tomorrow.  I hate this!  I just started feeling better from the last time I was sick.  I am coughing so much there is no way I can work out.  It is frustrating to really get back into working out after taking WAY TOO MUCH time off, only to get sick again!!  UGH!!

Karen

2009-02-09 10:24 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
My week is looking rather bleak!  I have been fighting a sticking flu/bug for almost a week, and it has caught up with me... I am having to take today off to get some rest.  On Sunday we fly out to follow the Tour of California around for a week of cycling, wine, friends, and fun!!! Should be a blast.  We are renting an RV and following the Tour from Monday-Friday... I can't wait, and I would love to feel well rested before hand! 
2009-02-09 10:24 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Kick that cold Karen...I love Zicam...it has fended off many a cold.

Stanley, that is so hard to do in Manhattan...can you go super early on the weekends to avoid the stroller/rollerblading crowd? When I lived out there, I thought walking on the sidewalks was tough, let alone riding on city streets! Yikes, you are a trooper.

One thing I found to help me with improving my running, for me, coming back from an injury, was to slow my long run down and initially I did 6 min run/1 min walk, then extended to 8/1, then 10/1. It helped me maintain my pace...and I didn't get reinjured. This was just last spring. By summer, I was up to continuous long runs of up to 80 minutes and had reduced the pace of the long run from 10:30/mi to 9:30/mile.

Just need to find time to get out there. You will do fine!

Holly--gonna go give you some inspires for this week!

2009-02-10 6:55 AM
in reply to: #1953882

User image

Champion

swbkrun - 2009-02-09 11:24 PM My week is looking rather bleak!  I have been fighting a sticking flu/bug for almost a week, and it has caught up with me... I am having to take today off to get some rest.  On Sunday we fly out to follow the Tour of California around for a week of cycling, wine, friends, and fun!!! Should be a blast.  We are renting an RV and following the Tour from Monday-Friday... I can't wait, and I would love to feel well rested before hand! 

Missed this one, wow, that sounds like a blast.  I will be looking for you on TV.  make sure you wear some kind of red devil costume and chase the racers so I can spot you : )

Hope you are feeling better.

2009-02-10 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Hey Steve and Karen. Take care of yourselves and get better. Don't over work yourselves until you are better or you will keep getting a relapse. Better to take a few extra days off or reduce your workouts until then. It will be better in the long run. Then you can go crazy with the training.
2009-02-10 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Looks like it is starting to warm up a little for you guys up North to start getting out and training...I know you are excited about that.  I was running yesterday about noon and started to realize what we are going to be in store for down here in a couple of months.  It was already hot as HELL!

I am looking at joining a running group here in Auburn called AORTA.  These guys have runs 5 days a week and on Saturday do a long run and have water stops out on the course.  The good thing is they meet about 5:15 during the week and then about 6:30 on Sat.  I am thinking this could really motivate me to improve and also make some good company and competition while training. 

I already have a cycling group that is starting to ride again now that it is getting warmer....there is usually someone riding 4 days during the week, and I am swimming with my masters group.  Now I guess I am a little concerned that I am tending to RELY on these groups to get my training done.  Do any of you see any negatives in this other that the group not meeting a specified workout as it is on my schedule.  I am thinking that the consistency and time should over-ride specifics.

Hope you guys with the CRUD start feeling better.

Steve...Have fun on the tour.  I hope you have been taking your steroids so that you can keep up for the week. 

Barry 

2009-02-10 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1954110

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-02-10 9:12 AM

Looks like it is starting to warm up a little for you guys up North to start getting out and training...I know you are excited about that.  I was running yesterday about noon and started to realize what we are going to be in store for down here in a couple of months.  It was already hot as HELL!

I am looking at joining a running group here in Auburn called AORTA.  These guys have runs 5 days a week and on Saturday do a long run and have water stops out on the course.  The good thing is they meet about 5:15 during the week and then about 6:30 on Sat.  I am thinking this could really motivate me to improve and also make some good company and competition while training. 

I already have a cycling group that is starting to ride again now that it is getting warmer....there is usually someone riding 4 days during the week, and I am swimming with my masters group.  Now I guess I am a little concerned that I am tending to RELY on these groups to get my training done.  Do any of you see any negatives in this other that the group not meeting a specified workout as it is on my schedule.  I am thinking that the consistency and time should over-ride specifics.

Hope you guys with the CRUD start feeling better.

Steve...Have fun on the tour.  I hope you have been taking your steroids so that you can keep up for the week. 

Barry 

IMO if you are getting in good miles in each group you should be good.  Running and riding with faster people will make you faster.

2009-02-10 9:03 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

GM All....Steve watch out with the STEROIDS! I don't want to see you interviewed by Peter Gammons anytime soon, explaining that everyone else was doing it. What a joke. Maybe because I'm a Yankee hater(Stanley sorry maybe?), but an athlete like A-Rod admits to doing it now. And saying that he wasn't sure what exactly it was you was using? C'mon these guys lives have been monitored by dieticians,coaches and disipline. How do you not know what your putting in your body? I hate it when these guys come out and say crap like that.

2009-02-10 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

one thing that has been hard is doing alot of this training on my own. I have started to run a bit with a girl who i used to work with. She is a runner.....dones some marathons, 1/2,etc. So distance wise she could hammer me, but i can keep up with her pace so she is a nice compliment for me.

As well, i had started to chat on the BT website here with some people around Calgary. I was looking for someone who was just getting started up in this crazy world as well. I ended up chatting with this girl who is looking for someone to train occasionally with. Turns out, she does some part-time lifeguarding at the pool I swim at. I never go on Tuesday mornings but i went today 'cause she said she would be there. So we chatted, and i think we are going to try to get together a bit so that will be nice. She can help me out with my swimming stroke.

2009-02-10 9:53 AM

User image

Pro

Trevor I think that the more you get into the sane world of triathlon's you will see that it is a pretty SMALL WORLD!!! Especially with BT guiding you along the way.  I mean if you are taking a vaca anywhere in the world, you can find people here on BT to meet up with and train, show you around, or give you advice on what to do... I have met up with people here is Seattle when they have been on vaca, or here on a business trip!  It is great!

Regarding the whole steroid, blood doping thing... The Tour of Cali is put on by a company called Amgen... They are actually a cancer "fighting" company so they produce EPO!  It has a lot of people in the cycling world upset... SAYING they are encouraging the use of EPO !!! I have a friend that works at this company and she said that it is actually the complete opposite!  $3000 worth of VIP passes.... I am not sure which side I support.... Just know I got free booze, and food all week !!!

2009-02-10 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1954354

User image

Expert
B'ham
swbkrun - 2009-02-10 7:53 AM

$3000 worth of VIP passes.... I am not sure which side I support.... Just know I got free booze, and food all week !!!

Does that include any samples of their products?  We'll all be monitoring your logs to see if there are drastic improvements in the next few weeks

2009-02-10 1:03 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Very funny, Trevor. I am a Yankee hater, too, just because they seem to have GOBS of $$$$ to throw around. But I am a Barry Bonds/Giants fan, so I will probably take crap for that. I wish I could find a group around here that meets that early on a Sat or Sun...I envy you, and end up doing all of my runs alone, which can sometimes be lonely...well at least I have Ripley but hate to run her longer than 8 miles...

Steve--get better! you can't drink all that free booze if you're sick~

Have a terrific day everyone.
2009-02-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1954956

User image

Expert
B'ham
Kim - start your own group.  We have an informal group made up of co-workers and their friends that go for runs early on Saturday pretty regularly.  Sometimes there are only a couple people, sometimes as many as 13.
2009-02-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1954956

User image

Expert
B'ham

It has to be the blazing fast connection, definetly not user error.

Edited by cadmus 2009-02-10 1:19 PM

2009-02-10 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1954354

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
swbkrun - 2009-02-10 10:53 AM

Trevor I think that the more you get into the sane world of triathlon's you will see that it is a pretty SMALL WORLD!!! Especially with BT guiding you along the way.  I mean if you are taking a vaca anywhere in the world, you can find people here on BT to meet up with and train, show you around, or give you advice on what to do... I have met up with people here is Seattle when they have been on vaca, or here on a business trip!  It is great!

Regarding the whole steroid, blood doping thing... The Tour of Cali is put on by a company called Amgen... They are actually a cancer "fighting" company so they produce EPO!  It has a lot of people in the cycling world upset... SAYING they are encouraging the use of EPO !!! I have a friend that works at this company and she said that it is actually the complete opposite!  $3000 worth of VIP passes.... I am not sure which side I support.... Just know I got free booze, and food all week !!!

Absolutely - I've met up with others as well, and have had a great time!

If I was recovering from cancer and EPO would help, I think I would take the EPO and give up my pro sports aspirations!

Have a great week Steve - as always, I'm incredibly jealous!  Don't be putting a stick in anybody's wheel! Laughing

2009-02-10 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1953448

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
gadgetlaw - 2009-02-09 7:23 PM

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I made it outside for a run on Saturday.  It was a glorious day!!  Well, it was 45º and cloudy, but I was outside running!  It felt so good.  Of course, on Sunday I started getting sick again with a bad cold.  I already told work that I would not be in tomorrow.  I hate this!  I just started feeling better from the last time I was sick.  I am coughing so much there is no way I can work out.  It is frustrating to really get back into working out after taking WAY TOO MUCH time off, only to get sick again!!  UGH!!

Karen

That's terrible - right when we finally have some excellent weather.  Hope you feel better quick! Smile

2009-02-10 2:03 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Kim,Kim, Kim....Think of it this way....Would you be a Bonds fan if he had played for ayone other than your hometown team? What if he had played for Oakland? For me, I am a Yankee hater only because one of my best buddies had such a man-cruch on Jeter its unreal!! But that being said, if it came out that a guys like Jeter was a Roidhead, I would be disappointed. He seems like such a good guy. Bonds on the other hand.......He just doesn't seem to get it. The guy just comes across as conceited,pompus dick to be honest.  He is my least favorite player. But that being said, if he played for my team, I'd probably like him too. How's that for a really poor arguement?

2009-02-10 6:03 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
But...but...but...Trevor!!!! okay, the thing is, it's not okay to cheat even if everyone else is cheating...but why does he have to be the front runner for all of these haters....pitchers were doing it, too....awww if you had been there for one splash hit into the night against the hated Dogders when we had no chance of the playoffs the year he hit 73...awww dang, i don't really have an argument, do I?

kim tucks tail between legs...and skulks off...
how do you use that red font anyway???
2009-02-10 6:18 PM

User image

Pro
Kim in order to use RED FONT you just type (RED FONT)---- After the word... Works everytime!!!! Foot in mouth

2009-02-10 6:46 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
i'm not falling for that!
2009-02-10 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1955640

User image

Pro

kt65 - 2009-02-10 4:46 PM i'm not falling for that!

Shoot... I tried!  I couldn't explain how to do it!!?  I think Bob taught me how to do it a while back.  I will see if I can dig something up!

2009-02-10 8:04 PM
in reply to: #1953885

User image

Extreme Veteran

kt65 - 2009-02-09 11:24 PM Kick that cold Karen...I love Zicam...it has fended off many a cold. Stanley, that is so hard to do in Manhattan...can you go super early on the weekends to avoid the stroller/rollerblading crowd? When I lived out there, I thought walking on the sidewalks was tough, let alone riding on city streets! Yikes, you are a trooper. One thing I found to help me with improving my running, for me, coming back from an injury, was to slow my long run down and initially I did 6 min run/1 min walk, then extended to 8/1, then 10/1. It helped me maintain my pace...and I didn't get reinjured. This was just last spring. By summer, I was up to continuous long runs of up to 80 minutes and had reduced the pace of the long run from 10:30/mi to 9:30/mile. Just need to find time to get out there. You will do fine! Holly--gonna go give you some inspires for this week!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!  

2009-02-10 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

I just signed up for my first triathlon on April 18.  This will be a sprint called Mullet Man in Orange Beach Alabama.  The tri will be held at the Mullet Toss at the Flora Bama Lounge.  The festivites include a contest where a mullet (fish) is tossed across the state line (flora bama is located right on the Alabama Florida line).  The flora bama is known for its music and entertainment and is a destination in the area...in other words...a great place for a party.

So,  I think the game plan will be to get the swimming, biking, and running out of the way early and let the fun begin.  Probably be a good way to celebrate the completion of my first triathlon.

With about 2 months to go, anyone got any training ideas.  Should I just keep building my endurance for my Sept. HIM and let this fall in, or should I do something specific for the sprint?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73