BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-05-12 11:00 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Had a great race guys! I'll get my RR up soon.  It was a lot of fun to get out there racing again.  The swim/bike was good, and my lack of running fitness showed, but it was all good, and I beat out another guy in a sprint finish (which I love to do).

Nice

How's knee feeling today?

2014-05-12 11:09 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
ooohh funny dog name I came across recently: Hairy

LOL makes me giggle!
2014-05-12 11:24 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by StaceyK I need some help Manatees. I need to find a name for our puppy that is staying. This is her (bit of an old photo she is twice this size now):

OMG soooo cute!

2014-05-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master

Originally posted by jbwills Did a race as a speed workout today. I was not sure if I was going to be able to run the race due to work, but was able to. Finished faster than expected. I am glad that I got the speed workout in today because my speed workout tomorrow looks like it will not happen due to some "happenings" around here. I am not sure I am up to running 3.5 miles in body armor. But finished the 5k (3.5 miles) in 27:25 today, averaged 7:49 PPM. Did not do a RR just logged it as a run day. Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.

Well done!

Hopefully the "happenings" aren't happening anymore. Be safe.

2014-05-12 11:32 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk ooohh funny dog name I came across recently: Hairy LOL makes me giggle!

hehehe!

even better if the cat's name was Tom and the owner's name was "Richard".

2014-05-12 11:45 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Naming the puppy: I was thinking Manny for the manatees, but that might not work for a girl dog name.

Could go with Minnie.  Kind of close and would be pretty funny for a mastiff.

2014-05-12 11:52 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Had a great race guys! I'll get my RR up soon.  It was a lot of fun to get out there racing again.  The swim/bike was good, and my lack of running fitness showed, but it was all good, and I beat out another guy in a sprint finish (which I love to do).

Nice

The knee was good.  I think I've put in the requisite three months for a soft tissue injury recovery, and now I'm back.  Fortunately I didn't miss any of the triathlon season, though my run has a very long way to go (but it will get there).

Last night I was playing around with a spreadsheet to follow a 10% increase pretty strictly.  I want to make sure I do the building process is 100% safe.

But ya, I was racing alongside this high school kid for the entire swim/bike/run, and a couple times in the run he said that he felt pretty good and was going to go on ahead.  I said, yeah, go for it, but I always stayed with him. :D  At the end he tried to take off again, but I knew if I was relatively close to him, my kick would get him. And it did!  As I passed him, he said, "Aw, man!"

2014-05-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by laffinrock

Naming the puppy: I was thinking Manny for the manatees, but that might not work for a girl dog name.

Could go with Minnie.  Kind of close and would be pretty funny for a mastiff.

I like the irony in that name.  And it comes with a semi-manatee tie in!

2014-05-12 11:53 AM

User image

Seattle

Nice

The knee was good.  I think I've put in the requisite three months for a soft tissue injury recovery, and now I'm back.  Fortunately I didn't miss any of the triathlon season, though my run has a very long way to go (but it will get there).

Last night I was playing around with a spreadsheet to follow a 10% increase pretty strictly.  I want to make sure I do the building process is 100% safe.

But ya, I was racing alongside this high school kid for the entire swim/bike/run, and a couple times in the run he said that he felt pretty good and was going to go on ahead.  I said, yeah, go for it, but I always stayed with him. :D  At the end he tried to take off again, but I knew if I was relatively close to him, my kick would get him. And it did!  As I passed him, he said, "Aw, man!"

Just keep in mind that 10% increase really is supposed to be at the high end and shouldn't increase every single week unless you are really feeling good/not having any injury setbacks. 

2014-05-12 12:01 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I have just been doing lots of easy running lately so I let loose just a little yesterday with the Oiselle girls. We did about 11-12 miles just under 7:00 min/mile and it felt really good. It's the 'fastest' that I have run in a while. 

I can't wait to get this surgery out of the way and jump back into some training. I'm guessing my legs will be rarin' to go!

2014-05-12 12:05 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Nice

Sweet!!  Bet that felt great.

2014-05-12 12:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I have just been doing lots of easy running lately so I let loose just a little yesterday with the Oiselle girls. We did about 11-12 miles just under 7:00 min/mile and it felt really good. It's the 'fastest' that I have run in a while. 

I can't wait to get this surgery out of the way and jump back into some training. I'm guessing my legs will be rarin' to go!

So great that you got out there and had some fun!  That has to be good for the soul.  Maybe you can do some walking and/or biking during your recovery to keep the legs in shape.  I know it'd be boring compared to running but still better than nothing and not as much impact.  What day is the surgery?

2014-05-12 12:15 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Excellent work, Foxy, Jonathan and Chris!  Yes, please stay safe, Jon.

Other Jonathan - savor the time before your race.  Do some positive mental imagery - picture yourself racing the race you want, each part; being strong/fast/whatever your main goal is and having fun doing it.  So exciting!

Or maybe Tease for Manatees? 

2014-05-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Nice

Just keep in mind that 10% increase really is supposed to be at the high end and shouldn't increase every single week unless you are really feeling good/not having any injury setbacks. 

Is 10% so critical when the mileage is so low?  I mean, I'm doing 2.5 and 3 mi runs right now.  I'm still following a 10% trajectory with a rest week every fourth week.

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-05-12 12:25 PM
2014-05-12 12:24 PM

User image

Seattle

So great that you got out there and had some fun!  That has to be good for the soul.  Maybe you can do some walking and/or biking during your recovery to keep the legs in shape.  I know it'd be boring compared to running but still better than nothing and not as much impact.  What day is the surgery?

Yeah, I am trying to pack it lots of fun stuff this week (training and other) pretending like I am 20 again

My surgery is next Monday the 19th. 

2014-05-12 12:31 PM

User image

Seattle

Nice

Is 10% so critical when the mileage is so low?  I mean, I'm doing 2.5 and 3 mi runs right now.  I'm still following a 10% trajectory with a rest week every fourth week.

Considering that it's been a pretty long while since you have had any significant volume and have had persistent injury? Maybe. 

Only you can really know what's appropriate but I would be extremely conservative. 

I would also emphasize consistency (working up to getting out there every day) vs any longer runs or speed. 

2014-05-12 12:58 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by StaceyK I need some help Manatees. I need to find a name for our puppy that is staying. This is her (bit of an old photo she is twice this size now):
LOVE HER  Salty thanks for the instagram primer. My friend and I joke about how we are at or around 40 and just barely hanging on to popular culture. We don't want to be like our parents and posting on our own FB timeline because we don't get the difference between that and posting on someone ELSE's timeline :D

Heh heh heh! I love this! 

My mom would always write me messages in other people's comment sections and stuff. Haha!

I hope I can always be somewhat savvy and relevant. That's my lifetime goal.

2014-05-12 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Nice

Considering that it's been a pretty long while since you have had any significant volume and have had persistent injury? Maybe. 

Only you can really know what's appropriate but I would be extremely conservative. 

I would also emphasize consistency (working up to getting out there every day) vs any longer runs or speed. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  I'm going to run at Maff for the next while, and skip long runs until I can get back to running for an hour (which is several months away in this slow build).

2014-05-12 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Salty, how many days a week do you think I should be running? Three? Four?

2014-05-12 1:52 PM

User image

Seattle

As much as you can without it compromising quality swimming and biking workouts.  

2014-05-12 2:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

As much as you can without it compromising quality swimming and biking workouts.  

It depends on what you want to do with your running. Generally people can do pretty well by consistently getting in 4-5 runs a week. More is good too, but is hard for many to do outside of a run focus, or a run heavy schedule. Like when trying to make very significant improvements in their running or training for a bigger running race. 3 can work ok, but it's less running and missing a day is a bigger deal as you're not running as often. I think the 4-5 gives you some more room to do some things.

To start, just get the runs in. So get in more runs of maybe 20-30 minutes first, and then start to do something with them. Build up to that, don't make a sudden jump. From there, see how things are going. The 10% isn't a hard, fast rule. Just a helpful guideline towards an upper limit. People can do more than that in the early going because the amounts are so small, but do remember that you're coming off an injury. I can't remember much about it (how it happened or much of what the issue was) other than you were affected for some time. Planning out like you had said can be ok to make sure that you don't do build up too much, but be sure those numbers do not become targets to hit. You'll have to learn how to read what's going on and respond accordingly. You might just go flat for several weeks straight to build up some more longer term load before increasing again. It takes some time to learn how things from several days ago, or the week prior, may affect the future.

2014-05-12 4:00 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yeah, I am trying to pack it lots of fun stuff this week (training and other) pretending like I am 20 again

I think I missed something.  Just saw your post in Tri Talk and your surgery is on your tailbone?  Why did I think it was a lumpectomy or something similar?

2014-05-12 5:21 PM

User image

Seattle

I think I missed something.  Just saw your post in Tri Talk and your surgery is on your tailbone?  Why did I think it was a lumpectomy or something similar?

Oh, yeah. It's confusing because I waited a couple of years and dumped all my problems on my doc at once.

I do have a lump there but as of now it's a non-issue and I just have a follow up appointment to confirm  it's a non-issue. No surgery needed as of now. 

2014-05-12 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4975867

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
I have started wearing orthotics again after not having to wear them for a couple of years. Seems I have developed Morton neuroma in my left foot. Walking in them is not too difficult and does ease the pain of the neuroma. Running is out of the question for the moment. Gonna have to use baby steps to adjust and will only train a mile at a time until I've totally gotten used to them, if that is possible. That's life. I didn't mention this last time I posted but I did suffer a loss. Not to me and mine, after all the tornado didn't touch down near my home. But it did major destruction to the marina where I kept my boat. It is a total right off and I won't be using it this fall to go to IMChoo. Oo la.
2014-05-13 7:58 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Ok we think we have come up with a name. I was getting their breakfast and our girl was so excited that she was spinning in circles (which made me smile and a bit sad at the same time because our girl that passed away earlier this year used to do the same thing). So anyway we think we will name her

LLADNEK all in a spin with her call name being Dizzy or something along those lines.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64692 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28172 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16395 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100376 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.