BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-12-04 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2542781

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!!
Oh and deeper wheels are faster when it gets windier, just harder to control in some cases, so your wind resistance is lessened when you ride deeper wheels...

2009-12-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2542781

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-12-04 10:24 AM
tahrens - 2009-12-04 10:08 AM Please excuse me if I missed the answer in previous wheel discussions, but I don't see the purpose of buying race wheels and separate training wheels.  If she gets SRAM power tap built into the wheel why not buy a wheel that is appropriate for both?  I know Stinger and HED make great wheels that are built for training and racing. That is my plan anyway when the finances allow. I have several friends that have that setup and love it. Now if she were going with a full disc that would be different but I don't think that was the plan.  And to tack on to Doug's point about deep wheels and wind resistance, just remember that the deeper the wheel the greater the weight so there is a balance to be had there.  Also the type of terrain you ride. I laugh when I see guys around here mashing up our hills on full discs.  If you plan on doing some descent hill work (which I believe IMWI has) then keep that in mind when you are adding weight with a deep wheel.  Just my uneducated 2 cents. 

Main reason for more than one set (if you can afford) is to reduce the chance of banging them up.  Every wheel can be used for both training and racing, though if you use a carbon braking surface you need special brake pads that cost more so that would add a bit more expense. 

If you pay 2k for a set of wheels would suck if you pull a John  and have to replace wheels as well as the bike.

hehe and to correct your post, Power tap goes in the hub, SRM (not SRAM) is the power meter that is built into the crankset.

Thanks. Obviously I am still learning all this myself.  Keep chatting, it is very educational.
2009-12-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

New user

hello all, its going to be my first season doing tri's, going to start out doing a couple of sprints and then graduate to the olympic. That is my goal anyway. Its always been hard for me to ask for help with anything, i know im one stubborn SOB, but here i am swallowing my stubbornise and am asking for help. I really like the tight nit part of this website, you folks rock, cant wait to run into you guys at some of the races. Later
2009-12-04 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2542831

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-12-04 10:41 AM
dalessit - 2009-12-04 10:24 AM
tahrens - 2009-12-04 10:08 AM Please excuse me if I missed the answer in previous wheel discussions, but I don't see the purpose of buying race wheels and separate training wheels.  If she gets SRAM power tap built into the wheel why not buy a wheel that is appropriate for both?  I know Stinger and HED make great wheels that are built for training and racing. That is my plan anyway when the finances allow. I have several friends that have that setup and love it. Now if she were going with a full disc that would be different but I don't think that was the plan.  And to tack on to Doug's point about deep wheels and wind resistance, just remember that the deeper the wheel the greater the weight so there is a balance to be had there.  Also the type of terrain you ride. I laugh when I see guys around here mashing up our hills on full discs.  If you plan on doing some descent hill work (which I believe IMWI has) then keep that in mind when you are adding weight with a deep wheel.  Just my uneducated 2 cents. 

Main reason for more than one set (if you can afford) is to reduce the chance of banging them up.  Every wheel can be used for both training and racing, though if you use a carbon braking surface you need special brake pads that cost more so that would add a bit more expense. 

If you pay 2k for a set of wheels would suck if you pull a John  and have to replace wheels as well as the bike.

hehe and to correct your post, Power tap goes in the hub, SRM (not SRAM) is the power meter that is built into the crankset.

Thanks. Obviously I am still learning all this myself.  Keep chatting, it is very educational.

hehe, np.

all this being said I own a $150 front wheel and a $500 used powertap rear wheel with a cover I never take off.

When I get my tri-spoke it will stay on at all times.

2009-12-04 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2542832

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
BEVO88 - 2009-12-04 9:41 AM hello all, its going to be my first season doing tri's, going to start out doing a couple of sprints and then graduate to the olympic. That is my goal anyway. Its always been hard for me to ask for help with anything, i know im one stubborn SOB, but here i am swallowing my stubbornise and am asking for help. I really like the tight nit part of this website, you folks rock, cant wait to run into you guys at some of the races. Later

Hey

Are you planning to join our Mentor Group?  If so, give us some details on who you are.....I see you are going to be at Lonestar with a bunch of us.....should be a good time.

Suzy
2009-12-04 11:11 AM

User image

New user

i would love to join the group, my stats are as follows...im 6'1, 210 lbs, my target weight i want to be at is at the most 190 for races. i have competed in a few 5 and 10k running races, done a few volunteer jobs at some kids tri's and going to be at the hel of du on the 12th of Dec...just to volunteer this time. Im just really excited to get started training and do some races. My baby "Bevo II" is a 08 Fuji Roubaix road bike, when i get alot better i plan on getting the real deal Tri bike. I have been in the air force for 12 years now and in decent shape, been married for 7 years to a beautiful wife who is also in the air force, she is currently deployed to afghanistan and will be back at the end of January. This is one of her dreams is to do a full tri, so to accomodate i am training up right now so when she gets home we can get it going. Sorry my name is Eric Hilton

Edited by BEVO88 2009-12-04 11:16 AM

2009-12-04 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2542541

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
ashort33 - 2009-12-04 5:14 AM

At the risk of losing my man card - I agree with Suzy (about both men and women).  While it is all fun and games for the boys in the MG, I am not sure that the ladies on our team find this appropriate.  

You must be wearing Capri's right now !
2009-12-04 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hi gang. Just thought I would pop in for a quick hello.  I haven't been training too much lately. Between work and assorted health issues I have been laying low. I am off today so I thought it would be a great chance to catch up to some. Kim and Roni if I read it right you are both racing on the weekend. Go girls go.  I missed out on some pretty weird and sidetracked threads here. ( read that fantasy football) . Any way I have managed to keep up with swimming. Our last session for this year is next week. While I haven't really done anything new there, I find it is so great just to be out with other athletes training and having some fun while doing it. I'll be glad when we can get into some running and riding training as well. It sounds like I am going to have to improve on my cycling and running to keep up with some of the others and that suits me just fine.

anyway ttfn and have a good weekend everyone!

2009-12-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2543062

User image

Champion
marietta
BEVO88 - 2009-12-04 11:11 AM

i would love to join the group, my stats are as follows...im 6'1, 210 lbs, my target weight i want to be at is at the most 190 for races. i have competed in a few 5 and 10k running races, done a few volunteer jobs at some kids tri's and going to be at the hel of du on the 12th of Dec...just to volunteer this time. Im just really excited to get started training and do some races. My baby "Bevo II" is a 08 Fuji Roubaix road bike, when i get alot better i plan on getting the real deal Tri bike. I have been in the air force for 12 years now and in decent shape, been married for 7 years to a beautiful wife who is also in the air force, she is currently deployed to afghanistan and will be back at the end of January. This is one of her dreams is to do a full tri, so to accomodate i am training up right now so when she gets home we can get it going. Sorry my name is Eric Hilton

typical air force.  showing up late.  and your username  wtf is that?  BEVO!?!  i was commissioned (navy) out of a&m in 98.  clearly you and i are not going to get along.

lol!  welcome to the group eric.  is your wife at bagram?

edit.  ha i was just going to tell you to ping famlec but i see he chimed in. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-04 11:43 AM
2009-12-04 11:42 AM

User image

Pro
Eric- Welcome to the group!  I think you will a good fit for this group!  Thanks for your SERVICE by the way!  A group of people here will be going to Lonestar.  Some doing the 1/2 (a couple their 1st one!), others doing the Olympic!  Should be a great weekend!

Suzy- I know a few people that are using the SRM that way that can train w/ it 24/7 on the bike.  Doesn't matter what wheels you are going to be using.

Tracy- One crack in the carbon of a race wheel renders it a TOTAL LOSS!  I am not willing to take that chance in training.  Hence having 2 set's of wheels.  I'm suprised your Doug hasn't filled you in on this yet !

Rob- Health issues?  What is going on?

TO ALL OTHERS---- WINTER WEIGHT as I call it is good for your body, and soul!  It is ok.  Don't stress over it.  Once you start back to the normal routine of in and out training you will shed that weight quickly.... Just be smart/careful what you are eating/drinking (ok maybe not worrying about the drinking too much !)
2009-12-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2542832

User image

Master
Small Town
BEVO88 - 2009-12-04 10:41 AM hello all, its going to be my first season doing tri's, going to start out doing a couple of sprints and then graduate to the olympic. That is my goal anyway. Its always been hard for me to ask for help with anything, i know im one stubborn SOB, but here i am swallowing my stubbornise and am asking for help. I really like the tight nit part of this website, you folks rock, cant wait to run into you guys at some of the races. Later

Hey hey Eric, glad to see that you opted to swing in here!  I'm certain that you'll get acquinted here quickly.  We're prolly the tightest knit group on BT - IMO.

Most of us have been together in this MG for... what about a little more than a year?  Some have been in the same group for 2 years (if I'm not mistaken).  Don't hesitate to ask questions, there's enough well educated people here to give you the most informative answer you'll never want to read but you'll be glad to know you've got the right answers.

2009-12-04 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2543128

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-12-04 12:38 PM

typical air force.  showing up late.  and your username  wtf is that?  BEVO!?!  i was commissioned (navy) out of a&m in 98.  clearly you and i are not going to get along.

So John, got any pictures of you in your Cracker Jack uniform?  Were you a seaman???

hehe, welcome to the group Eric.
2009-12-04 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Jeremy what you have neglected to tell Eric is that we can give him the best information on what NOT to do during his training, and races !
2009-12-04 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Health issues. Let's see. started about a month or so ago. Stomach aches, headaches, weak all over and  tired all the time. Several weeks ago I spent the whole weekend in bed sleeping. two weeks ago I slept 27 hours in a 48 hour time span. I sleep on the train both to and from work. I am eating like crazy but not gaining weight. Everytime I eat I get severe stomach cramps and it seems everytime I try to exercise I get sick again. Then about a week ago I somehow twisted my back and had to stop training completely for a bout 10 days. Add that to the glut issue I had before my HIM which has never completely gone away and it adds up to a pain in the you know what. On top of all that we are crazy busy at work.  I did  a swim on Tuesday with the tri club and by yesterday I just didn't have it in me to get to work. Although I was feeling a little better today took it off too (as much for a mental break as a physical one). Just a bad spell for me which I know I will get over and soon be back up to speed. I was going to go to the doctor today but it seems she's off sick.

2009-12-04 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2543303

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-12-04 12:49 PM

So John, got any pictures of you in your Cracker Jack uniform?  Were you a seaman???

keep talking pal.  i'll make some calls to my peeps over in rome.

2009-12-04 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2543340

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

fattyfatfat - 2009-12-04 2:03 PM
dalessit - 2009-12-04 12:49 PM

keep talking pal.  i'll make some calls to my peeps over in rome.

Hey John is that the guys with the big white hats or the guy with the small round white hat and his boss

Edited by Redknight 2009-12-04 1:13 PM

2009-12-04 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
At least it wasn't a picture of two pontiff's kissing. Wink
2009-12-04 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2543383

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

DougRob - 2009-12-04 1:17 PM At least it wasn't a picture of two pontiff's kissing. Wink

OMG -  I know you didnnttt....

ETA - I was thinking there was only one Pontiff anyway - until I wiki'ed it...  apparently the term can be used more generically....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiff

I guess you do actually learn something new everyday!

Edited by ashort33 2009-12-04 1:24 PM
2009-12-04 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2543062

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Welcome Eric - sounds like you are a fellow Texan...  Seems that we have all the major TX cities covered now...  Get in here and start to mix it up some...  This group is a wealth of knowledge - some of which is actually useful!

2009-12-04 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2542515

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2009-12-04 7:45 AM Bike people.....here is my issue.  I was told that being light a set of race wheels would not be able to be very beefy. So, the typical deep wheels are out.  Does that make sense to you all? For what it is worth, Paco (bike guru) said the smoothness of the shifting is caused by the internal cables (said a lot more, but that is all I understood :).  If they are set up correctly the shifting will be smooth with either the DA or SRAM.....

Tony, going with the Powertap pro.  Saris is local and Paco is pretty certain he can work a trade to get a better value.  I don't really understand the "build it into the wheel" concept.  Paco said if I switch wheels for a race, I won't be able to use it.  What do you use? same issue?

PS. Thanks a lot Barry.  I thought the kissing girl thing was a distant memory. Why do men like to see kissing girls anyway?  I would not be the least intersted in seeing two hot guys kissing each other.  BLECH!

Suzy in regards to the shifting, based on my experience using the same bike (i'm pretty sure the same cables) i had durace 7800 and then switched to a mixture of SRAM force and red and the shifting on the SRAM seemed quicker and more responsive.  the durace sometimes had to think about the change in gears while the SRAM just did it when I commanded it to.  the 7900 might be different also i heard the new ultegra is pretty nice.
2009-12-04 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2543316

User image

Elite
san francisco
Redknight - 2009-12-04 10:55 AM

Health issues. Let's see. started about a month or so ago. Stomach aches, headaches, weak all over and  tired all the time. Several weeks ago I spent the whole weekend in bed sleeping. two weeks ago I slept 27 hours in a 48 hour time span. I sleep on the train both to and from work. I am eating like crazy but not gaining weight. Everytime I eat I get severe stomach cramps and it seems everytime I try to exercise I get sick again. Then about a week ago I somehow twisted my back and had to stop training completely for a bout 10 days. Add that to the glut issue I had before my HIM which has never completely gone away and it adds up to a pain in the you know what. On top of all that we are crazy busy at work.  I did  a swim on Tuesday with the tri club and by yesterday I just didn't have it in me to get to work. Although I was feeling a little better today took it off too (as much for a mental break as a physical one). Just a bad spell for me which I know I will get over and soon be back up to speed. I was going to go to the doctor today but it seems she's off sick.

Thanks for the well wishes, Rob!  Take care of yourself!  I know it seems like the "current health malady" but maybe ask your doctor about a possible Vitamin deficiency?  Up in your parts, not too much sun...could it be Vit D deficiency?  Could also be mono if you are having headaches, too (epstein barr)  well, just an eye doctor here, your real doctor will check for all of that stuff. 

Yay, so glad we made it to a new page. 
Welcome to the group Eric.  Look forward to sharing our many training tips, mistakes, etc.

I don't leave for Sacramento until tomorrow morning.  I think I will drive the course this time to get a feel for what to expect.  Other than that, will pick up race packet and recline at the hotel room.  Roni is coming into the bay area today, but sadly, it seems we will miss each other! 

2009-12-04 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2543274

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
JHagerman - 2009-12-04 1:39 PM 
Don't hesitate to ask questions, there's enough well educated people here...

I think there's plenty of educationally challenged here as well   -    John, you listening?  Andy?  Trevor?  Tony?

Welcome, Eric.

2009-12-04 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2543465

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
kt65 - 2009-12-04 2:50 PM ...could it be Vit D deficiency?  Could also be mono if you are having headaches, too (epstein barr)  well, just an eye doctor here, your real doctor will check for all of that stuff. 

Kim may be onto something.  I was feeling miserable for a while as well.  Just wanting to sleep constantly.  Was found to have EXTREMELY low Vitamin D.
Doc, put me on 50,000 iu twice a week.
Maybe a placebo effect, but I'm feeling much better.
2009-12-04 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2543383

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2009-12-04 1:17 PM At least it wasn't a picture of two pontiff's kissing. Wink

LMFAO!!! 
2009-12-04 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hi Eric

First, thanks to you and your wife for serving this country. My dad was a three time purple heart front line army guy in WWII so I have an appreciatiion for those in the military.

Like Jeremy said, a lot of us have been together for a while so don't get overwhelmed by the pages we spew out in a day.  Join in when you can....one thing that would be helpful if you are up for it is to log your workouts...that way we can send you inspires when you do good stuff and scold you when you don't!

We all have our own little areas of expertise so no question is stupid and if you have thoughts to offer on any topic don't hesitate to sound off....can't remember for sure if it is John or Andy who is our beer expert....

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-12-04 2:04 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383