BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-12-09 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!!
I am going to be the rebel on all this pedal efficiency talk and throw this out there......does anyone do one legged pedaling drills on a basic trainer? (besides me obviously)    I try to incorporate a 3-5 min set per leg every time I ride a trainer.  It demonstrates quite a bit about if you push and pull evenly and how to maneuver the mechanics of your stroke so you don't get "stuck" or "pop" the motion.  For those of us who don't have CTs I highly recommend it. Good physical feedback without the technical data.

Suzy, send some of that snow my way. We are in the 40's with rain - YUCK!!!!  I would much rather be snowed in. Just got the new bookclub book, a six back of Woodchuck cidar, baked a chocolate cake last night and all the x-mas decorations are up. There would be nothing better than curling up in my Snuggie and reading, eating and drinking the day away.  I might even go crazy and do a YOGA video. Such a wild woman.

2009-12-09 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2549959

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tahrens - 2009-12-09 9:40 AM I am going to be the rebel on all this pedal efficiency talk and throw this out there......does anyone do one legged pedaling drills on a basic trainer? (besides me obviously)    I try to incorporate a 3-5 min set per leg every time I ride a trainer.  It demonstrates quite a bit about if you push and pull evenly and how to maneuver the mechanics of your stroke so you don't get "stuck" or "pop" the motion.  For those of us who don't have CTs I highly recommend it. Good physical feedback without the technical data.

Suzy, send some of that snow my way. We are in the 40's with rain - YUCK!!!!  I would much rather be snowed in. Just got the new bookclub book, a six back of Woodchuck cidar, baked a chocolate cake last night and all the x-mas decorations are up. There would be nothing better than curling up in my Snuggie and reading, eating and drinking the day away.  I might even go crazy and do a YOGA video. Such a wild woman.

hehe there was a lot of discussion on one legged drills as well, quite a few people said that makes you good at pedaling with one leg...

I think the most important thing is to make sure you are using the right muscles, maybe focusing on the pedal stroke helps you to engage the correct muscles.
2009-12-09 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I was taught to do one legged drills 30 years ago. That was before CTs and we did them on the road. They are a great drill. Tony the people you refer to are short-sighted at best. Are they fun? No. But they do show you where the dead spots in your pedal stroke are and from that you can work on using developing a pedal stroke that uses your muscles more efficiently. One thing to bear in mind the smoother you are on the bike the better. You will waste less energy. I remember vividly getting screamed at for my technique riding up hills. My upper body was all over the place. The coach yelling at me made me keep my upper body as still as possible. Oh, and by the way he blew by me up the hill, and he was 67 years old!As to Andy's question from a while ago. I do not think uneven leg force distribution will significantly affect your Watts. However such form will probably tire you out faster than equal force from both legs.Doug
2009-12-09 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2549996

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-12-09 7:51 AM
tahrens - 2009-12-09 9:40 AM I am going to be the rebel on all this pedal efficiency talk and throw this out there......does anyone do one legged pedaling drills on a basic trainer? (besides me obviously)    I try to incorporate a 3-5 min set per leg every time I ride a trainer.  It demonstrates quite a bit about if you push and pull evenly and how to maneuver the mechanics of your stroke so you don't get "stuck" or "pop" the motion.  For those of us who don't have CTs I highly recommend it. Good physical feedback without the technical data.

hehe there was a lot of discussion on one legged drills as well, quite a few people said that makes you good at pedaling with one leg...

I think the most important thing is to make sure you are using the right muscles, maybe focusing on the pedal stroke helps you to engage the correct muscles.

My tri spin group we do a bunch of single leg low candence and high cadense drills. Really shows you were your deadspots are. And a good way to keep a 'quiet upperbody'

Edit: Doug beat me to the answer!!

Edited by TrevorC 2009-12-09 9:13 AM
2009-12-09 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2550066

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Thats a good point guys, doing it more for keeping your upper body from swinging all over the place, which is definitely a waste of energy.

But does 1 legged drills help you pedal any more efficiently?  Maybe that is what they were saying it didn't didn't do.

BTW, fun discussion here.
2009-12-09 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In regards to technique, particularly running. If you're getting injured or have pain running based on your technique shouldn't you consider a new one that lowers the impact to your problems areas? I made a recent trip to a sports doctor due to my constant knee pain/problems. After his initial analysis of my body and running he recommended that I change my running technique because it's causing major impact in all the wrong places. I made a comment based on the BT video posted on this site and ask him will I get further injured switching running techniques. He literally said "that's horse sh**." He said 1) you're causing damage to your knees and feet as is if I don't stop, within a yr i'll need surgery and 6 month rehab and highly likely have arthritic knees and feet if I keep going as is 2) proper running technique is about physics for every action there is a reaction, you don't want the action or reaction in the wrong places 3) Typically people don't modify the intensity/distances while learning a new technique, to him that logically means injuries. He said learning a new technique takes time and most people are impatient to learn unless they're forced to. He said we live in a time of instant gratification, if you are patient and if you're taught/coached properly you will not get injured. He also recommended "Chi Running" and a running coach. Since so many of my friends already recommended the book I'm giving it a try.

2009-12-09 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2550109

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-12-09 10:21 AM Thats a good point guys, doing it more for keeping your upper body from swinging all over the place, which is definitely a waste of energy.

But does 1 legged drills help you pedal any more efficiently?  Maybe that is what they were saying it didn't didn't do.

I think it does. It taught me not to throw my body weight from side to side (like Doug was talking about with keeping your upper body still) and remember to pull as much as push.  If anyone remembers Phil Liggett from the Tour commentaires he is always talking about Dancing on the Pedals. You don't want to mash down with every stroke but stay light and balanced.  I was taught that when you stand on a bike you should think about painting the bottom of your butt with the seat. In other words, move the bike not your body. Single leg drills help with that. That leads to a cautionary tale to riding a trainer or spin class. When you stand there you can't move the bike so it is very different than riding on the road. Just something to keep in mind. Nothing substitues butt in the saddle on the road time.
2009-12-09 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2550123

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
trying1 - 2009-12-09 10:26 AM In regards to technique, particularly running. If you're getting injured or have pain running based on your technique shouldn't you consider a new one that lowers the impact to your problems areas? I made a recent trip to a sports doctor due to my constant knee pain/problems. After his initial analysis of my body and running he recommended that I change my running technique because it's causing major impact in all the wrong places. I made a comment based on the BT video posted on this site and ask him will I get further injured switching running techniques. He literally said "that's horse sh**." He said 1) you're causing damage to your knees and feet as is if I don't stop, within a yr i'll need surgery and 6 month rehab and highly likely have arthritic knees and feet if I keep going as is 2) proper running technique is about physics for every action there is a reaction, you don't want the action or reaction in the wrong places 3) Typically people don't modify the intensity/distances while learning a new technique, to him that logically means injuries. He said learning a new technique takes time and most people are impatient to learn unless they're forced to. He said we live in a time of instant gratification, if you are patient and if you're taught/coached properly you will not get injured. He also recommended "Chi Running" and a running coach. Since so many of my friends already recommended the book I'm giving it a try.

I think I am buying into this philosophy.  Going through so much therapy now I plan on emerging with not only an improved body but an improved running technique. I want to learn to run in a new style so I don't repeat what got me here in the first place.
2009-12-09 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2550168

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-12-09 8:34 AM
dalessit - 2009-12-09 10:21 AM Thats a good point guys, doing it more for keeping your upper body from swinging all over the place, which is definitely a waste of energy.

I think it does. It taught me not to throw my body weight from side to side (like Doug was talking about with keeping your upper body still) and remember to pull as much as push.  If anyone remembers Phil Liggett from the Tour commentaires he is always talking about Dancing on the Pedals. You don't want to mash down with every stroke but stay light and balanced.  I was taught that when you stand on a bike you should think about painting the bottom of your butt with the seat. In other words, move the bike not your body. Single leg drills help with that. That leads to a cautionary tale to riding a trainer or spin class. When you stand there you can't move the bike so it is very different than riding on the road. Just something to keep in mind. Nothing substitues butt in the saddle on the road time.

I agree Tracy..When we do standing drills on the traine rin our group, we keep our bums floating above the saddle, and keep our arms loosely attached to the bars(not stiff hard shoulders), with a quiet upperbody.
We have a couple of guys in our group who can stand out of the saddle and ride without touching their bars. I find that amazing.
2009-12-09 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hey Tracy...this is for you. We no longer have a mailbox because it is buried by the snow, but our backyard is open if you want to come over for some hot chocolate and coffee liquer.

Doug's comments make sense to me.  One of my workouts is a high cadence spin session followed by 1''/1'/2" rec on single leg drills.  While I have NO dead spots any longer, my spinscan numbers are in the mid 50s to low 60s indicating I could be more efficient throughout the stroke. Still working on where to find that efficiency.  Also agree with Barry on the "Push/Pull" philisophy.  When I do it, my SS#s increase substantially.

One errant comment on equal weight distribution.  My left leg takes a greater load than my right all the time, usally 57/43 or greater.  My fear is an overuse injury. Trying to work on that too which has proved frustrating.

Stan, I have had people talk about POSE and Chi running and honestly I think a good PT can give you enough insite into getting the correct running form without following a specific method.  I have made corrections to stride length and improved muscle imbalances on my right side working with a PT, but still have a leg length discrepancy that causes me issues from time to time, like now. POSE or Chi will not overcome body deficiencies if you have them (nor will running barefoot which seems to be the craze). Case in point, Barry and his IT Band and me and my foot.  Got to fix the root cause to get back to 100%.  Just my two cents.

2009-12-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2550293

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2009-12-09 11:05 AM Hey Tracy...this is for you. We no longer have a mailbox because it is buried by the snow, but our backyard is open if you want to come over for some hot chocolate and coffee liquer.

Doug's comments make sense to me.  One of my workouts is a high cadence spin session followed by 1''/1'/2" rec on single leg drills.  While I have NO dead spots any longer, my spinscan numbers are in the mid 50s to low 60s indicating I could be more efficient throughout the stroke. Still working on where to find that efficiency.  Also agree with Barry on the "Push/Pull" philisophy.  When I do it, my SS#s increase substantially.

One errant comment on equal weight distribution.  My left leg takes a greater load than my right all the time, usally 57/43 or greater.  My fear is an overuse injury. Trying to work on that too which has proved frustrating.

Stan, I have had people talk about POSE and Chi running and honestly I think a good PT can give you enough insite into getting the correct running form without following a specific method.  I have made corrections to stride length and improved muscle imbalances on my right side working with a PT, but still have a leg length discrepancy that causes me issues from time to time, like now. POSE or Chi will not overcome body deficiencies if you have them (nor will running barefoot which seems to be the craze). Case in point, Barry and his IT Band and me and my foot.  Got to fix the root cause to get back to 100%.  Just my two cents.

Suzy, that's exactly the point my doctor was trying to get across to me and what I believe in as well.  The point is if you're getting injured based on your current technique don't be afraid to change your technique to help your problem areas..  IE making corrections in your stride is in fact changing your technique.  The doctor purely made a suggestion based on my body and current technique that i need a change and be patient while making that change.  I'm definitely not saying Chi Running is the way to go (especially since i'm not that far into the book) or that it's for everyone.  I'm just giving it a try..

2009-12-09 11:20 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

One more thing. I play mental games with myself on the bike. I think of my legs as pistons and just keep pumping them . When I am in a race and my quads start to burn on the bike, either in the last /3 or on a hill, I shift some of the work load to other muscles.

To to do this I concentrate on pulling up instead of pushing down. The one-legged drills really come in to play on this as I am using the same muscles I am trying to train in such drills.

This was a LOT harder before clipless pedals!

Doug

2009-12-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2550408

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I've read Chi Running. It's a great book! Even if you don't use the technique in its entirety, there is a lot of great information in it for both technique and mental training. I would love to go to a chi running clinic to really get the form down, because I find it very difficult to perfect from the book alone. However, I do use some of the exercises regularly and try to focus on some of the ideas that seem to be problem areas for me.

Of course, I just love to read as much as I can on subjects that interest me. My view is, take the things out of it that you find valuable, and let the rest go. I'm reading "Born to Run" right now. Thanks for the recommendation guys! I'm really enjoying it... fascinating

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-12-09 11:30 AM
2009-12-09 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2550470

User image

Champion
marietta
roni_runnw - 2009-12-09 11:25 AM I've read Chi Running. It's a great book! Even if you don't use the technique in its entirety, there is a lot of great information in it for both technique and mental training. I would love to go to a chi running clinic to really get the form down, because I find it very difficult to perfect from the book alone. However, I do use some of the exercises regularly and try to focus on some of the ideas that seem to be problem areas for me.

Of course, I just love to read as much as I can on subjects that interest me. My view is, take the things out of it that you find valuable, and let the rest go. I'm reading "Born to Run" right now. Thanks for the recommendation guys! I'm really enjoying it... fascinating

x2.  sucks for the 0430 workouts but hard to put down.
2009-12-09 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2549679

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-12-09 6:07 AM 15.5 inches of snow so far....another 4 inches coming this morning. Blizzard conditions, below zero temperatures, highways closed, the plows are stuck....who wants to visit me now?

Holy Cow and I was proud of myself for riding through our last inch of snow on Monday.  My kids would be in hog heaven w/ that much snow once the blizzrd conditions died down.
2009-12-09 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Suzy- You mentioned something awhile ago about drinking a "green drink" every morning. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I also have a question for those of you who have done IM; How long did it take you to recover afterward? How long before you were ready to get back to heavy training?

I'm planning my 2010 season, and there's a 50 mile Ultramarathon close to my home  October 8, 2010. I'm trying to figure out if it would be realistic to do after doing IMCDA on June 26th. It would give me about 3 1/2 months inbetween, and the course is fairly easy for a 50. I'm just not sure how quickly I could get back to long mileage after the IM.

2009-12-09 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2550514

User image

Elite
Raleigh
roni_runnw - 2009-12-09 12:44 PM Suzy- You mentioned something awhile ago about drinking a "green drink" every morning. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I also have a question for those of you who have done IM; How long did it take you to recover afterward? How long before you were ready to get back to heavy training?

I'm planning my 2010 season, and there's a 50 mile Ultramarathon close to my home  October 8, 2010. I'm trying to figure out if it would be realistic to do after doing IMCDA on June 26th. It would give me about 3 1/2 months inbetween, and the course is fairly easy for a 50. I'm just not sure how quickly I could get back to long mileage after the IM.

Now here is a question I am TOTALLY unqualified to answer! Laughing
2009-12-09 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2550514

User image

roni_runnw - 2009-12-09 12:44 PM Suzy- You mentioned something awhile ago about drinking a "green drink" every morning. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

IMHO - Very realistic!  I did IMFL in Nov and am training to do a marathon in March (4 months between). 
However, mine is only a 26.2 mile marathon Smile 

Edited to add:  GO FOR IT !!!

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-12-09 12:23 PM
2009-12-09 12:36 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
The running form and pedaling discussions are extremely interesting. 

I hate the one pedal stuff, but I do it.  I enjoy the challenge and it has allowed to be able to crank out a higher cadence without bouncing.
And when I was running Sunday night I was watching my shadow and it looks like I favor one leg a little.  Which got me thinking about finding someone to check this out.
How do you all go about locating coaches?  Or sports med people? 

And, Suzy, I would LOVE that snow.  Much better, IMO, than what we're getting.  35*, 20-30 winds, and rain changing to flurries and back. 

SNOW, SNOW, I WANT SNOW!!!
2009-12-09 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2550489

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
fattyfatfat - 2009-12-09 12:35 PM
roni_runnw - 2009-12-09 11:25 AM I've read Chi Running. It's a great book! Even if you don't use the technique in its entirety, there is a lot of great information in it for both technique and mental training. I would love to go to a chi running clinic to really get the form down, because I find it very difficult to perfect from the book alone. However, I do use some of the exercises regularly and try to focus on some of the ideas that seem to be problem areas for me.

I broke down and bought Doug the Vibram five fingered shoes for barefoot running and this book to go with it.  But I think I am going to steal it right after Christmas and read it first  
2009-12-09 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2550662

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
BigReub - 2009-12-09 12:36 PM The running form and pedaling discussions are extremely interesting. 

I hate the one pedal stuff, but I do it.  I enjoy the challenge and it has allowed to be able to crank out a higher cadence without bouncing.
And when I was running Sunday night I was watching my shadow and it looks like I favor one leg a little.  Which got me thinking about finding someone to check this out.
How do you all go about locating coaches?  Or sports med people? 

And, Suzy, I would LOVE that snow.  Much better, IMO, than what we're getting.  35*, 20-30 winds, and rain changing to flurries and back. 

SNOW, SNOW, I WANT SNOW!!!

I would focus on a good PT.  I am sure there are many ways to find a good one, I asked my sports med doc who he likes to work with (inside or outside of his network), talked to a few runners and looked at the Universty of WI Madison sport med program since they work with college level athletes everyday.   One caveat, some are great at working with football players, but not so good when working with runners or triathletes....search for the one who knows your sport.

Take my snow, please!

2009-12-09 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2550840

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-12-09 1:41 PM

I broke down and bought Doug the Vibram five fingered shoes for barefoot running and this book to go with it.  But I think I am going to steal it right after Christmas and read it first  

sweet.  VFF's are great for one arm swimming.  it counter balances the carotid muscle across the 5th alluvial plane which in turn relaxes the parathyroid cavity.  the result.  a much faster T2.  obviously.  

2009-12-09 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2550877

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2009-12-09 12:51 PM

sweet.  VFF's are great for one arm swimming.  it counter balances the carotid muscle across the 5th alluvial plane which in turn relaxes the parathyroid cavity.  the result.  a much faster T2.  obviously.  

Crap you beat me to it. That was my post. huh???

Suzy, if it makes you feel better we are getting a ton of snow as well right now, and we're colder than Madison.
2009-12-09 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2550899

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-12-09 1:56 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-12-09 12:51 PM

Crap you beat me to it. That was my post. huh???

Suzy, if it makes you feel better we are getting a ton of snow as well right now, and we're colder than Madison.

oh no.  i know exactly what she's talking about.  check the book out.  its a great read.  pain in the neck to find and the wait list at the library is 45 deep. 

2009-12-09 2:04 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
I love it when I get to work and find you guys have been very busy at BT!!!  I'm interested in the pedal efficiency convo, it is something I am really going to work on now that my HIM is less than 4 months away!  How did that happen?

The only thing I will add about the running is that I am/have been a heel striker which in part led to my first developing PF back in 2001 after Big Sur (which in turn led to not running for 6 years after that!  Couch potato. 
I have read alot about Chi and Pose methods of running and a mid foot strike for me was relatively "easy" to incorporate into my stride/gait as long as I concentrate on it.  That, coupled with increasing my cadence to 90/min vs the 80 or so I was at really lessened the degree of impact even if I strike somewhere in between heel and mid.  At a few points on Sunday, I was starting to fade, looked at my watch and saw a 9 min pace and started focusing on cadence, focused on counting 30 per 20 sec (which had dropped) and it totally brought me back to pace.  For me, a lack of  concentration at times and I get really sloppy with my stride and posture. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383