BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-12-09 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2550873

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!!
Ok, so I'm all for supplements.  Does anyone know anything about Kona Endurance products?  They have a promo right now that if you buy 2 Kona Endurance Pro bottles, that you'll also get 6 bottles of another product.  I've been on their email list for a while ( several months ) and this is the first huge promo that I've seen.

So I guess that if I saw this promo randomly, I'd pass it off as some sales gimmick. 

But I wonder if anyone has looked into or tried this before as a sports supp.  Let me know what you think.

Kona Endurance

2009-12-09 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2550946

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
JHagerman - 2009-12-09 2:09 PM Ok, so I'm all for supplements.  Does anyone know anything about Kona Endurance products?  They have a promo right now that if you buy 2 Kona Endurance Pro bottles, that you'll also get 6 bottles of another product.  I've been on their email list for a while ( several months ) and this is the first huge promo that I've seen.

So I guess that if I saw this promo randomly, I'd pass it off as some sales gimmick. 

But I wonder if anyone has looked into or tried this before as a sports supp.  Let me know what you think.

Kona Endurance

I don't, but the guy who hocks them friended me on FB and I thought he was someone else....all I got was a lot of sales stuff and promotions....hid him since I didn't like the tactic.
2009-12-09 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2550873

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
SSMinnow - 2009-12-09 2:51 PM
BigReub - 2009-12-09 12:36 PM The running form and pedaling discussions are extremely interesting. 

I hate the one pedal stuff, but I do it.  I enjoy the challenge and it has allowed to be able to crank out a higher cadence without bouncing.
And when I was running Sunday night I was watching my shadow and it looks like I favor one leg a little.  Which got me thinking about finding someone to check this out.
How do you all go about locating coaches?  Or sports med people? 

And, Suzy, I would LOVE that snow.  Much better, IMO, than what we're getting.  35*, 20-30 winds, and rain changing to flurries and back. 

SNOW, SNOW, I WANT SNOW!!!

I would focus on a good PT.  I am sure there are many ways to find a good one, I asked my sports med doc who he likes to work with (inside or outside of his network), talked to a few runners and looked at the Universty of WI Madison sport med program since they work with college level athletes everyday.   One caveat, some are great at working with football players, but not so good when working with runners or triathletes....search for the one who knows your sport.

Take my snow, please!

Suzy, I assume you are talking Physical Therapist, right?
My best friends' wife is a PT (he's an OBGYN).  I'll give them a shout and start from there (actually just her - I don't need what he's providing).

If I brought up my dad's truck and my car hauler you think I could haul enough snow to cover my lawn?

Edited by BigReub 2009-12-09 9:14 PM
2009-12-10 6:41 AM
in reply to: #2551688

User image

Extreme Veteran
BigReub - 2009-12-09 10:13 PM
BigReub - 2009-12-09 12:36 PM The running form and pedaling discussions are extremely interesting. 

I hate the one pedal stuff, but I do it.  I enjoy the challenge and it has allowed to be able to crank out a higher cadence without bouncing.
And when I was running Sunday night I was watching my shadow and it looks like I favor one leg a little.  Which got me thinking about finding someone to check this out.

And, Suzy, I would LOVE that snow.  Much better, IMO, than what we're getting.  35*, 20-30 winds, and rain changing to flurries and back. 

I would focus on a good PT.  I am sure there are many ways to find a good one, I asked my sports med doc who he likes to work with (inside or outside of his network), talked to a few runners and looked at the Universty of WI Madison sport med program since they work with college level athletes everyday.   One caveat, some are great at working with football players, but not so good when working with runners or triathletes....search for the one who knows your sport.

Take my snow, please!

My best friends' wife is a PT (he's an OBGYN).  I'll give them a shout and start from there (actually just her - I don't need what he's providing).

If I brought up my dad's truck and my car hauler you think I could haul enough snow to cover my lawn?
All mine are from referrals like my wifes OB (triathlete as well) and my masseuse (who is also triathlete and trainer). My next search is for a good PT (i think she means physical therapist as well). What Suzy said makes sense. The last time I used a PT was in high school rehabing a knee from a basketball injury and she was as tough as nails. She had me in tears but after several long months my knee felt as good as new..
2009-12-10 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2550928

User image

Extreme Veteran
kt65 - 2009-12-09 3:04 PMI love it when I get to work and find you guys have been very busy at BT!!!  I'm interested in the pedal efficiency convo, it is something I am really going to work on now that my HIM is less than 4 months away!  How did that happen?

The only thing I will add about the running is that I am/have been a heel striker which in part led to my first developing PF back in 2001 after Big Sur (which in turn led to not running for 6 years after that!  Couch potato. 
I have read alot about Chi and Pose methods of running and a mid foot strike for me was relatively "easy" to incorporate into my stride/gait as long as I concentrate on it.  That, coupled with increasing my cadence to 90/min vs the 80 or so I was at really lessened the degree of impact even if I strike somewhere in between heel and mid.  At a few points on Sunday, I was starting to fade, looked at my watch and saw a 9 min pace and started focusing on cadence, focused on counting 30 per 20 sec (which had dropped) and it totally brought me back to pace.  For me, a lack of  concentration at times and I get really sloppy with my stride and posture. 
Kim I'm still marveling over the amazing job you did in your race and how much you improved over the yr. All I can say is wow.Thanks for the input on the running. Hopefully I'll be able to incorporate the book's concepts and technique as easily as you. From what i've read so far and what people have told me about the Chi Running technique, I think my 2 yr old son already does it (the posture and foot strike). I've been asking him to run back and forth in our apt so I can see him run...
2009-12-10 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2551855

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
trying1 - 2009-12-10 7:41 AM
BigReub - 2009-12-09 10:13 PM

Take my snow, please!

All mine are from referrals like my wifes OB (triathlete as well) and my masseuse (who is also triathlete and trainer). My next search is for a good PT (i think she means physical therapist as well). What Suzy said makes sense. The last time I used a PT was in high school rehabing a knee from a basketball injury and she was as tough as nails. She had me in tears but after several long months my knee felt as good as new..

x2 recommendations are the way I have found my running coach (from suzy) and actually almost went with her tri-coach as well but ended up finding someone local who came well recommended.

2009-12-10 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
It's funny how a training program and/or coach really gets you focused.  Week 1 - so far, so good.  I've actually gotten myself up early twice this week for workouts.  That did not happen over the past 2 months.

Look John - I'm back on the war path!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  When I pass you at Lonestar (b/c men always seem to swim off before the ladies), can I pat you on the bum as I pass you?  

I joked w/ my neighbor about this at the OBX marathon.  And did pass him around mile 7 but he sounded like he was going to die so I took pity and passed on the a*s slap.  Please John, don't disappoint me - I want you to be looking strong when I zoom past.  ;-)
2009-12-10 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
My coach was talking about this during our initial meeting - his girlfirend was talking about it.

Anyways - it sounds like fun.  There is something wrong w/ people who say that.  Just like those who say an IM looks like fun.  We are all crazy.  LOL

http://www.americantriple-t.com/
2009-12-10 7:54 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
you can pat me on the bum anytime sam.  but in g-town ya better do while we're standing on the dock or the beach cause that's the last you'll see of it. 

as far as triple-t goes... there may or may not be a swmbkrun run member or two with this race on the short list.  just say'in
2009-12-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2551947

User image

Elite
san francisco
sdalessio - 2009-12-10 5:49 AMMy coach was talking about this during our initial meeting - his girlfirend was talking about it.

Anyways - it sounds like fun.  There is something wrong w/ people who say that.  Just like those who say an IM looks like fun.  We are all crazy.  LOL

Sam, I clicked on the link to see that you could do it as part of a two person team, and thought oh, that's cool, do you get to choose which race distances each team member does? And then read on to see that the team starts and finishes each race together. Wow!Now, THAT is super cool. I think that should be the next SWBKRUN mentor group get together! I will say right now that I will be there if we do that!
2009-12-10 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2551963

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2009-12-10 7:56 AM
sdalessio - 2009-12-10 5:49 AMMy coach was talking about this during our initial meeting - his girlfirend was talking about it.

Sam, I clicked on the link to see that you could do it as part of a two person team, and thought oh, that's cool, do you get to choose which race distances each team member does? And then read on to see that the team starts and finishes each race together. Wow!Now, THAT is super cool. I think that should be the next SWBKRUN mentor group get together! I will say right now that I will be there if we do that!

drafting is allowed in the second OLY.  could be lots of fun or very dangerous if you're riding with me.

2009-12-10 8:13 AM

User image

OK, I will admit it.....I am doing the NC Triple T.    And I will also admit it is the race that I am most excited about  

Who's going to join me???????
2009-12-10 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2552004

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Not sure if the discount is still valid but they had 10% coupon on ST for the NC TTT

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2611023
2009-12-10 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2551963

User image

Expert
kt65 - 2009-12-10 7:56 AM

There is a team part but not in the sense of switching off.  Each members does all the distances then there is some combined score or something.

Sounds like we are racking up the SWBKRUN mentor group fall races - Augusta 70.3 and Triple T.
2009-12-10 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2552028

User image

dalessit - 2009-12-10 9:23 AM Not sure if the discount is still valid but they had 10% coupon on ST for the NC TTT

Discount is good until 1/1/10...so you guys need to sign up soon    Smile.
ATTNC10_SLOWTWITCH  (all caps)
2009-12-10 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2550123

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
trying1 - 2009-12-09 9:26 AM In regards to technique, particularly running. If you're getting injured or have pain running based on your technique shouldn't you consider a new one that lowers the impact to your problems areas? I made a recent trip to a sports doctor due to my constant knee pain/problems. After his initial analysis of my body and running he recommended that I change my running technique because it's causing major impact in all the wrong places. I made a comment based on the BT video posted on this site and ask him will I get further injured switching running techniques. He literally said "that's horse sh**." He said 1) you're causing damage to your knees and feet as is if I don't stop, within a yr i'll need surgery and 6 month rehab and highly likely have arthritic knees and feet if I keep going as is 2) proper running technique is about physics for every action there is a reaction, you don't want the action or reaction in the wrong places 3) Typically people don't modify the intensity/distances while learning a new technique, to him that logically means injuries. He said learning a new technique takes time and most people are impatient to learn unless they're forced to. He said we live in a time of instant gratification, if you are patient and if you're taught/coached properly you will not get injured. He also recommended "Chi Running" and a running coach. Since so many of my friends already recommended the book I'm giving it a try.

Have you looked at or are you familiar with POSE running?  I think they may be similar and am wondering if you know the difference in the two. 

2009-12-10 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2552066

User image

Expert
Havin'Fun - 2009-12-10 8:35 AM
dalessit - 2009-12-10 9:23 AM Not sure if the discount is still valid but they had 10% coupon on ST for the NC TTT

Discount is good until 1/1/10...so you guys need to sign up soon    Smile.
ATTNC10_SLOWTWITCH  (all caps)

Ok there might be something really wrong w/ me if I sign up for the Triple T and the Goofy Challenge for the Disney Marathin Weekend all in Jan.  Would that make me some kind of real endurance athlete?  HA HA HA

I never thought I would have breathed those words in a million years.
2009-12-10 8:57 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I was not aware that the teams in the Triple T had to both do the entire thing. The drafting and staying together make it interesting. Do you pick a teamate with similar abilities? One with complimentary abilities? Tough call.

Anyway, while I am glad this is here in NC, and I may go out to cheer on some people, it is only 2 weeks after Augusta 1/2 IM, my A race, so not for me this year. Cry

On another note, the marathon training continues with a slow biuld up in milage.
2009-12-10 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2552112

User image

Expert
DougRob - 2009-12-10 8:57 AM I was not aware that the teams in the Triple T had to both do the entire thing. The drafting and staying together make it interesting. Do you pick a teamate with similar abilities? One with complimentary abilities? Tough call.

Anyway, while I am glad this is here in NC, and I may go out to cheer on some people, it is only 2 weeks after Augusta 1/2 IM, my A race, so not for me this year. Cry

On another note, the marathon training continues with a slow biuld up in milage.

Keep up the good work w/ the marathon training!
2009-12-10 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
i'd think similiar because of the basis for starting position, that second OLY being BSR, and the pressure would really be on the runner to really pace the swim and bike correctly in order to catch up if you went complimentary.  (not that pace isn't critical for everyone that weekend)

fun stuff.

2009-12-10 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2552004

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Havin'Fun - 2009-12-10 9:13 AM OK, I will admit it.....I am doing the NC Triple T.    And I will also admit it is the race that I am most excited about  

Who's going to join me???????

Sorry Linda, but I'm saving my 140.6 for Canada, not that I could even dream about keeping up with you on the swim or the run!!   But I will most certainly be there to cheer!  WOW.  I would recommend booking hotels NOW.  There isn't much in White Lake and it fills up very fast.  If you seriously need a partner I would be happy to introduce you to Carol (Keyone on BT). She lives our way and just did Beach 2 Battle. She is a beast at all three events and a super nice lady. I'll bet she could be talked into something crazy like this. She is really bumbed about THE DUKE and Bandits going away. 

Edited by tahrens 2009-12-10 9:34 AM

2009-12-10 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey guys.  Been a while since I've been around here.  I skimmed over the last 30 or so pages that I missed - most of it was over my head anywayTongue out.  Just wanted to let you know that I'm still around.  My biking and swimming have slacked off a little over the last month or so.  I've been trying to concentrate more on my running to get ready for my half marathon in March.  I had a slight set-back this past week - the tendonitis in my right leg started acting up again.  Always seems to happen at about this point in my half training.  Hopefully with just an easy week or so of running I'll be back to normal and can start building up again. 

I've got the first race in a winter series this Saturday - 5 races total, one every 2 weeks between now and the beginning of February.  I'll be doing the series with my daughter.  Our first race is a short one, only 3k, but it's going to be cold!  Temp will probably be around 30* at race start but at least we won't have snow to deal with.  We got lucky and missed the really bad stuff.  All we got here was the gusty winds (up to 50mph) and really cold temps. 
Janet
2009-12-10 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2550662

User image

Champion
marietta

personal recommendations for sure big guy.   this made me think a little more back when i was looking around. 

also a cool blog to follow... agree w/ him or not.   i like yesterday's take on pool work,  "...what I typically see when athletes try to apply more power is that rather than speed up, they simply flail faster".  that would be me.
2009-12-10 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2547886

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
dalessit - 2009-12-07 11:06 AM
kickitinok - 2009-12-08 11:00 AM Hi - I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I came here in hopes of finding a mentor as I was told that December was the month to do so on this site. Is this group still open? I've notice most are "Closed" or "Full". I'm training for my first tri in June 2010 and could use a lot of help, support, info, and encouragement. kicitinok

Welcome to BT.

Not sure when they are going to open up the new Mentor program, They are probably getting the new mentors set up now.  We are still active from the last one and this thread will go by-by into the archives and a new one created.

That being said the group is always open so come on in and just move over to the new thread with us when it gets started, make sure you post your info so we all know what kind of experience you have, goals, races, etc.
Thanks for your reply SWBKRUN. This site has a LOT of info and links so I am just trying to navigate my way around and get oriented. When you say to be sure and post my info, where do I do this? On my profile? In my signature line? I"m starting a training log...will that suffice? When is this group moving to a new thread, and what will it be called? As you see, I have lots of questions
2009-12-10 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2552559

User image

Champion
marietta
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 11:34 AM
dalessit - 2009-12-07 11:06 AM
kickitinok - 2009-12-08 11:00 AM Hi - I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I came here in hopes of finding a mentor as I was told that December was the month to do so on this site. Is this group still open? I've notice most are "Closed" or "Full". I'm training for my first tri in June 2010 and could use a lot of help, support, info, and encouragement. kicitinok

Welcome to BT.

Not sure when they are going to open up the new Mentor program, They are probably getting the new mentors set up now.  We are still active from the last one and this thread will go by-by into the archives and a new one created.

That being said the group is always open so come on in and just move over to the new thread with us when it gets started, make sure you post your info so we all know what kind of experience you have, goals, races, etc.
Thanks for your reply SWBKRUN. This site has a LOT of info and links so I am just trying to navigate my way around and get oriented. When you say to be sure and post my info, where do I do this? On my profile? In my signature line? I"m starting a training log...will that suffice? When is this group moving to a new thread, and what will it be called? As you see, I have lots of questions

whats up!  take a look at the first few pages of this thread found here .  you'll see we all put up some info about ourselves.  just follow suit. 

your logs.  please use the logs here on BT.   valuable not only for keeping track of what you are doing but also so we might be better able to answer training related questions you have.

always feel free to ask any question you might have.  no question is dumb.  some people have an awesome background in one sport...HAvin'Fun is our fish (swimmer)  DougRob has a ton of bike expereince,  SSMinnow is our runner and I just sit back and talk sh*t.  But we're all new to triathlon here, except for the mentor himself,  so we all have lots to learn.  good chance someone else in the group might have the same question. 

now go check out those first couple pages and post a profile!

WELCOME!!!!

edit.. and get a signature as cool as mine! 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-10 12:04 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383