BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-01-12 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3985911

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
mighty mom - 2012-01-12 10:17 AM
dalessit - 2012-01-12 10:08 AM
mighty mom - 2012-01-12 9:41 AM
DougRob - 2012-01-12 9:27 AM
mighty mom - 2012-01-12 7:18 AM

Started to look at flights this morning.  Do I bring the kids or not?  It will be Nicholas' first week of school (1st grade) so I'm hesitant based on that alone.  Alexa can miss daycare no problem.  But then there is the issue with the hotel room (reservation at the Concourse Hotel with 2 Queen beds).  They are night owls and, from experience at Timberman, they fought bedtime pretty hard.  Then there is the issue of what would they do all day.   Overall, I really want them there but when I think of the logistics I wonder if its better for them to stay home. Thoughts???

I have a lot of questions. Who will look after your kids while you race? They are 3.5 and 5.5 years old so they will need someone there while you are out on the course for 4-6 hours. I don't sleep well before most races, so if you are the same then their being night-owls might not be a big deal. My biggest issue with having my kids at a race was 2 years ago, It was their first time and they were in constant need of attention, This was a major distraction for me up until the race started. It was real hard to get my head into the race.

Having said that, I am hoping to bring them to Florida for my full IM. My wife will have them in tow and other MG members are bringing their kids. Other than that race and the Sprint in my neighborhood I actually prefer not to have them at my races. Kind of like when I played hockey. That took all my concentration and was a great escape from everything in daily life.

Are there any activities at the race for families with Kids? That might make a difference.

Ha!  You mean 14-16 hours, right?  If they come, help comes too.  You're right, they will be a distraction.  But I really want them there.  I guess I'm wondering what there is for the kids to do while their parents are prepping/racing.  I don't want to make them miserably bored but having them there will be a huge motivator.  Too selfish? 

I forget, which race are you doing again? 

IM Moo.  All my other races are close enough that they can show up for the run/finish without torturing them for longer than necessary.

hmm, that's a lot more time to have little ones out all day and keep them entertained at the race site.  From experience the tought part is on your husband, trying to keep kids entertained while at the same time trying to see you out on the course.  For our kids I don't think I could do both for that length of time on my own.

At Lonestar I saw a sitter  with a family, she had the kids out to see mom off then took the kids back to the hotel room so dad could watch mom during the day, then I would assume bring them back out at some point to see the finish, IMO this would be awesome but something that would take some setup time and finding a sitter willing to do that.

2012-01-12 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Elite
Raleigh
My daughter and a freind cheered the racers on at the Sprint through the neighborhood last year. The best part was their signs: "This is the worst parade ever!" and "I am proud of you random stranger!"
2012-01-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3986024

User image

Master
Maryland

DougRob - 2012-01-12 10:53 AM My daughter and a freind cheered the racers on at the Sprint through the neighborhood last year. The best part was their signs: "This is the worst parade ever!" and "I am proud of you random stranger!"[/QUOTE]

I like that!

2012-01-12 10:13 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Yesterday was a real crappy day, but today is AWESOME !:

I just won a pair of race wheels in a raffle from FSseries! I thought they drew the winner a while ago and I had lost. I need new wheels but was not willing to spend the $.

2012-01-12 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3985911

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
mighty mom - 2012-01-12 9:17 AM

IM Moo.  All my other races are close enough that they can show up for the run/finish without torturing them for longer than necessary.

As regular MOO volunteer I would suggest leaving the little ones at home.  Madison is truly a college town, the race course is partially on campus, and IM does not cater to the younger ones so whomever is watching them will have a much longer day than you!!!  Plus, on campus they may get a little more education than you want them to have.  To say that  the downtown Madison is very liberal would be an understatement.  

My very wise Bride always reminds me that Triathlon is not a spectator sport!!!  The only races she ever even thinks about attending are my HIM's and then usually shows up for part of the run only after she finishes her Spa appointment!  Laughing  

2012-01-12 10:31 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I think having your kids and family at the race is a Necessity.  The to also make a big sacrifice during your training season.  Remember it's not about the race itself.  It's about the Journey.  Taking your kids through the Ironman village, and swimming with them in the water, etc.... That's what it's about.  Yes you'll be nervous but the kids will help distract those nerves.  I am all for having them there.

2012-01-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3986080

User image

Master
Maryland
DougRob - 2012-01-12 11:13 AM

I just won a pair of race wheels in a raffle from FSseries! I thought they drew the winner a while ago and I had lost. I need new wheels but was not willing to spend the $.

Wow, congrats Doug, you deserve it!

2012-01-12 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

My first IM was last year and I had my wife and 3 kids stay home.   I would have loved to see them at the finish line when I came across but the logistics were too hard.  I spent time at the race with friends and concentrated on the race.   Even though I had prepared a week before the race, there are a lot of things to get done the night before.   It was actually, peace of mind for me.  I would have been worried on race day that the kids weren't bored or that my wife wasn't having too hard of a time.  Stay focused on the race. 

Next IM I am hoping they are there.  I will be more comfortable with what I have to do and get done before the race.  Since this was my first IM, there were too many unknowns that you have to have time to prepare for.  

As a compromise, you may want to get two hotel rooms.  It will be pricy but might give you a place to escape when you have to get things done or just need to be alone with your thoughts. 

2012-01-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3985907

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
kkcbelle - 2012-01-12 10:17 AM

I had my kids (now 9 and 11) at my two IMs and it is a TON of work for whomever is caring for them. My kids think IM is a blast because they end up getting to spend a lot more screen time than usual and they like swimming in the hotel pool. But it is a LONG day and there is not a ton for them to do. (MOO may be different?)

My family never saw me on race-day morning and they opted out of the swim exit (OK by me). The first IM I let them opt out of the bike entirely, and they hung out at a friend's lakeside house :45 from the race. They met me half-way through the run and at the finish. Finish was about 2 hours past my daughter's bedtime. Year two we had extra help (husband plus my parents), and again they opted out of swim exit, but they did see me twice on the bike and at a point on the run where I passed them twice and then at the finish. Pictures from the day show everyone at a restaurant for lunch, and I know the kids hung around playing their DS's much of the time!

I wanted the kids to see me finish, I'm glad they were there. They are glad they were there. But again, it is a TON of work for whomever is in charge of them. Leading up to the race I just checked stuff in and basically wanted to rest up and not do a ton... So I relied on others to keep them entertained/tired, or I chose sit-by-the-indoor-pool-at-the-hotel duty so I could rest while they played (and give my husband a small break).

This was my concern.  I can see why you want them there and I think it's a great way to set an example for them.  That said, I think you should let the person (or people) going with you decide.  You will likely need some support for yourself, and the kids will need A LOT of care and attention.  Will there be enough "help" to go around. 

Maybe they can go see one of your BIG races when they're a little older and self-sufficient.  Remember, in the end, you need to do what feels right for YOU Smile

2012-01-12 11:31 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Congrats on the Race Wheels, Doug, that is awesome. Christina, I think if you want them there, you can make it happen, as long as you have help. The Concourse Hotel has a really nice swimming pool and is a few blocks from the swim start/transition area/run start and finish. Kathy went to the swim start, stayed til I *eventually* got done, went to have breakfast, went up to the room to take a nap, played a little on her computer, had lunch, made it out to T2 to cheer me in from the bike...I would think your kiddos could play at the pool, take a nap, etc, cheer you in from the bike, then go to see you at a few points during the run, or just come up to the turnaround since its a two lap course. Suzy can help more with that sort of planning, Paul has that course down. They can go to dinner, nap,etc, and come out for your glorious finish. The hard part will be the day(s) before the race and staying off your feet, not getting stressed out, etc...so excited for you! I don't have kids, but think that would be the hardest part, the days before the race, I just needed to be quiet and rest...not sure how parents ever have time to do that! Eta...get that race day tracking thing so your peeps know where you are...and don't lose it on the run course a half mile into the marathon! Hearts will stop and people will be frantic!

Edited by kt65 2012-01-12 11:59 AM
2012-01-12 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

My Doug just about went through the computer!   He saw that "Doug" had won the wheels and thought it meant him!    Darn you Doug ROB!!!!!!!  Those were going on MY bike!Wink

2012-01-12 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3986130

User image

Champion
marietta

swbkrun - 2012-01-12 11:31 AM I think having your kids and family at the race is a Necessity.  The to also make a big sacrifice during your training season.  Remember it's not about the race itself.  It's about the Journey.  Taking your kids through the Ironman village, and swimming with them in the water, etc.... That's what it's about.  Yes you'll be nervous but the kids will help distract those nerves.  I am all for having them there.

couldn't agree more.  WE got there, not me.  one of the best memories of the day was hanging out with them on race morning...   i simply can imagine not having them around at the start and finish.  

suzy, dino just put a bit hit on moo as a potential 2013 venue!

2012-01-12 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

AWESOME!  how about some details!?!

2012-01-12 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3986341

User image

Extreme Veteran

As for kids at the IM, it is something I struggled with as well.  One of the (many) reasons I wanted to do an IM was to show the kids that a big part of life is that with time and effort comes reward.  I often feel that my kids want such immediate gratification that if they do not immediately succeed, they give up.  I wanted to show them that things can be a challenge, but the best rewards are the ones that you work hard for.

As a result, I would have loved to have had them in Florida with me, and to see me finish.  But, after reflecting on it, I decided that it was too much of a challenge to bring the kids.  I needed quiet time and down time in the days leading up to the race and in the day after.  And having them there meant that my wife would have to assume an even greater burden -- because she could not have them at home in their own beds and routines.  But I can easily have gone the other way as well, assuming that the childcare conditions were covered.

I guess ultimately my 2 cents is nothing more than the phrase that you hear repeatedly in this group:  Whatever works for you.

P.S. IMFL did have a video feed from the race.  And my wife kept my eldest son up past his bedtime to see me cross the finish.  I am told that he saw me cross the finish line and heard the announcer say my name, and he started jumping up and down with excitement.  I did not cry when I crossed the finish line, but hearing that story (30 minutes later) made me break down. 

2012-01-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3985472

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
mighty mom - 2012-01-12 6:18 AM

Started to look at flights this morning.  Do I bring the kids or not?  It will be Nicholas' first week of school (1st grade) so I'm hesitant based on that alone.  Alexa can miss daycare no problem.  But then there is the issue with the hotel room (reservation at the Concourse Hotel with 2 Queen beds).  They are night owls and, from experience at Timberman, they fought bedtime pretty hard.  Then there is the issue of what would they do all day.   Overall, I really want them there but when I think of the logistics I wonder if its better for them to stay home. Thoughts???

We're talking MOO?

This is coming from the non-mom so take it for what it is worth. Unless your husband plans on hanging out with them a lot alone, I wouldn't bring them.  There are NO kid activities as a lead up to the race.  You end up having to register, practice swim, go to the dinner, bring your bike and all crap to Monona Terrace the day before and it takes time and a toll on your psyche.  The day of the race they are at an age where they probably woudn't want to potentially see mom for 13-16 hours, right?    What if you are really sick during the event? or after? would that scare them?  If I were a mom these are the things I would ask myself......

Having said all that, there might be baby-sitting services you can coordinate through the hotel.  Just another random thought.

2012-01-12 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3986551

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-12 1:45 PM

The raffle was run by a local race timing company FSseries. For $20 you get a chance at either an $1800 pair of wheels or a single disc wheel. Winner chooses the wheel stickers color too. The company that makes them is www.hawk-racing.com. Since my SPecialized S-works is limited in the disc wheels that will fit due to the narrow rear stays, I am going with the set of wheels. I have to talk to them about which ones will work best for me. The 80mm carbon clinchers look nice as do the Veyron wheels.

2012-01-12 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3986130

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

swbkrun - 2012-01-12 8:31 AM I think having your kids and family at the race is a Necessity.  The to also make a big sacrifice during your training season.  Remember it's not about the race itself.  It's about the Journey.  Taking your kids through the Ironman village, and swimming with them in the water, etc.... That's what it's about.  Yes you'll be nervous but the kids will help distract those nerves.  I am all for having them there.

LOVED seeing my kids on the course.  It totally gave me a boost when I saw them.  We arranged activities for them and my wife was awesome getting them around the city.  Even their cousins  (same age 5 and 7) came out to watch.  Bring the kids if you can.

2012-01-12 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

For all of those that recommended bringing the kids, what would your spouses say about it?  Afterall, they are the ones shouldering the responsibility (I almost used the word--burden).  I would think their perspective would be equally or more important than your own.

Christina, only you and your man can answer that one.

Fatty--The area is totally rocking during MOO.  You can see everything you want to see in the land of the libs.

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-01-12 3:23 PM
2012-01-12 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3987002

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
SSMinnow - 2012-01-12 1:23 PM

For all of those that recommended bringing the kids, what would your spouses say about it?  Afterall, they are the ones shouldering the responsibility (I almost used the word--burden).  I would think their perspective would be equally or more important than your own.

Fatty--The area is totally rocking during MOO.  You can see everything you want to see in the land of the libs.

The wife and I have had conversations about this very thing.  I have also been the one taking the kids through the crowds and to the Porta Johns.  Our conclusion is that: 1) it is important for the kids to see us doing positive things and 2) they get to go to places they would not otherwise have gone.  We always do something just for them during the trip.   It is sometimes hard (not burden Suzy) but worth it. 

2012-01-12 4:46 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
We took all 4 kids to Lousiville this past August and they are little.  They had a blast!!  Even though the day didn't end the way I wanted, the kids thought it was the best day ever and Isaiah still asks when we are going back to Kentucky!  I couldn't imagine not having them there.
2012-01-12 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3987002

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2012-01-12 4:23 PM

jarrett is all in!  i'm lucky.  we discussed it a length before signing up for all three IM's.  we realized the logistical mistake we made the first go around and pulled the plug on it, i think you have to be able to do that with anything.

and you are absolutely right, suz.  jarretts perspective is just as important as mine.  again, we discussed it at length and planned as best we could taking many things into account.  communication was key throughout the entire process.  like i said, this is a WE thing (our family)  not a me thing. this is just my little slice of the world.

i don't care about your libs or palin's, i'm happy to hang out with you as long as the beer is cold and the boobs warm.

2012-01-12 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3986757

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
DougRob - 2012-01-12 2:47 PM
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-12 1:45 PM

The raffle was run by a local race timing company FSseries. For $20 you get a chance at either an $1800 pair of wheels or a single disc wheel. Winner chooses the wheel stickers color too. The company that makes them is www.hawk-racing.com. Since my SPecialized S-works is limited in the disc wheels that will fit due to the narrow rear stays, I am going with the set of wheels. I have to talk to them about which ones will work best for me. The 80mm carbon clinchers look nice as do the Veyron wheels.

This is awesome Doug, Congrats!!  

2012-01-12 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Okay, my vote is no on little kids.  It's not only a long day, it's a long week.  You've got the stuff you have to do - check-in, bike/bag drop off, etc - and you'll want to drive the bike course, bike the run course, and get a swim or two in.  Then there's the athlete dinner/meeting.  You seriously need to stay off your feet as much as you can for the 48 hours prior.  More than anything, you've taken a year to get ready for this, and you want to avoid distractions.  Not that my kids are loud, or wrestle, or want to eat lots of junk......but many kids do.  Wink

My vote is to find a place (friends, Grandparents, other family) that will make it a vacation for them, to.....and bring home presents!!

Edited by velcromom 2012-01-12 5:48 PM
2012-01-12 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3986547

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-12 12:44 PM

suzy, dino just put a bit hit on moo as a potential 2013 venue!

Ok, it has a been a really long week and my brain is completely fried from Year End, Inventories, and Union Negitations .....  I did what??

2012-01-12 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3987185

User image

Master
Maryland
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-12 6:02 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-01-12 4:23 PM

jarrett is all in!  i'm lucky.  we discussed it a length before signing up for all three IM's.  we realized the logistical mistake we made the first go around and pulled the plug on it, i think you have to be able to do that with anything.

and you are absolutely right, suz.  jarretts perspective is just as important as mine.  again, we discussed it at length and planned as best we could taking many things into account.  communication was key throughout the entire process.  like i said, this is a WE thing (our family)  not a me thing. this is just my little slice of the world.

i don't care about your libs or palin's, i'm happy to hang out with you as long as the beer is cold and the boobs warm.

HA HA HA HA!!!

Oh, how I wish I could be there with all of you!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117