BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-12-11 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2554256

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!!
SSMinnow - 2009-12-11 12:04 PM Hey Doug...Thanks, but the 404s are not possible for me.  I had three bike fitters tell me the depth was too great given my size.  I blow all over heck with my very basic Cane Creek wheels so those would send me flying.  One of the Serrotta fitters suggested the 303's, but my builder thinks Zipps are crap.  He has built over 20,000 wheels himself so he is finicky and particular.  We are still hashing out wheels, but I do not know I am going to have a set of training wheels and race wheels.  He suggested Reynolds or Mavics for the training set.  Thoughts?

I've heard good things about the Mavics and I've been told by several biking professionals I respect that ZIPPS aren't necessarily crap, but they are over charging for name recognition.  They have recommended to me to look at other brands for equal if not higher quality and much lower cost. 

2009-12-11 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2554256

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2009-12-11 12:04 PM Hey Doug...Thanks, but the 404s are not possible for me.  I had three bike fitters tell me the depth was too great given my size.  I blow all over heck with my very basic Cane Creek wheels so those would send me flying.  One of the Serrotta fitters suggested the 303's, but my builder thinks Zipps are crap.  He has built over 20,000 wheels himself so he is finicky and particular.  We are still hashing out wheels, but I do not know I am going to have a set of training wheels and race wheels.  He suggested Reynolds or Mavics for the training set.  Thoughts?

My race wheels are Eastons and I have a set of Eastons for training. I also have a Mavic front wheel for training they are rugged and priced competitively. I have too many wheels form days gone by (probably 16 in total). I wonder if there is a market for "vintage" wheels?
2009-12-11 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
B'ham
I just signed up for the Jingle Bell Run (arthritis foundation) tomorrow.  You can make eye contact again, I'm not here to solicit donations

2009-12-11 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Race wheels?

So here is my take and see who agrees with me.  Damm those things are EXPENSIVE!  They look really COOL!  If I had a couple thousand extra dollars I would definitely have me some nice looking bling on my bike. 

Maybe get me an extra 1 to 2 miles per hour which might shave 15 minutes on a HIM.  If I am a MOP'er does it really matter?  I guess my thought is ... unless I have a chance to podium, or am competing with someone and that extra time is going to make a big difference, why bother. 

Could be the difference is someone like Suzy making a podium spot...go for it and the wheels might get you there, but for someone like myself that can't RUN the entire HIM, I think it would be a waste.  But they still are WAY COOL.
2009-12-11 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2554468

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Plainsman AU - 2009-12-11 1:21 PM Race wheels?

So here is my take and see who agrees with me.  Damm those things are EXPENSIVE!  They look really COOL!  If I had a couple thousand extra dollars I would definitely have me some nice looking bling on my bike. 

Maybe get me an extra 1 to 2 miles per hour which might shave 15 minutes on a HIM.  If I am a MOP'er does it really matter?  I guess my thought is ... unless I have a chance to podium, or am competing with someone and that extra time is going to make a big difference, why bother. 

Could be the difference is someone like Suzy making a podium spot...go for it and the wheels might get you there, but for someone like myself that can't RUN the entire HIM, I think it would be a waste.  But they still are WAY COOL.

I'm with you Barry.  The only reason I am considering them in the future is for my IM. Any extra energy saved is worth it to me over that distance.  I understand the value of energy efficiency gained with upgrading wheels and it is a question of balance of cost to comfort.  Until I can place I don't want to be a total FRED out there.   I think race wheels are like a lot of things in this sport, fun to have, pretty to look at, worth the money most of the time, but are a fun option, not a requirement.  And I think it is a matter of where people choose to spend their fun money.  Some like to travel, others collect art, triathletes buy gear. 

Edited by tahrens 2009-12-11 1:00 PM
2009-12-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2554468

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2009-12-11 12:21 PM Race wheels?

I completely agree with you.  I don't need them, I want them!  Just like I really don't need a new tri bike.....my Seven would have been just fine especially for IMWI's bike course.   For once in my life I want to look like Tony, one of the cool cats....

PS I noticed you did not respond to my bikini request....what are you waiting for? man-up!

2009-12-11 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2554539

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-12-11 12:59 PM

I'm with you Barry.  The only reason I am considering them in the future is for my IM. Any extra energy saved is worth it to me over that distance.  I understand the value of energy efficiency gained with upgrading wheels and it is a question of balance of cost to comfort.  Until I can place I don't want to be a total FRED out there.   I think race wheels are like a lot of things in this sport, fun to have, pretty to look at, worth the money most of the time, but are a fun option, not a requirement.  And I think it is a matter of where people choose to spend their fun money.  Some like to travel, others collect art, triathletes buy beer.

i'm with you guys.  but i'm liking tony's set up and i'm pretty sure it was under 500 so there options.

edit.  what is a FRED?

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-11 1:38 PM
2009-12-11 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2554636

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2009-12-11 1:36 PM
tahrens - 2009-12-11 12:59 PM

I'm with you Barry.  The only reason I am considering them in the future is for my IM. Any extra energy saved is worth it to me over that distance.  I understand the value of energy efficiency gained with upgrading wheels and it is a question of balance of cost to comfort.  Until I can place I don't want to be a total FRED out there.   I think race wheels are like a lot of things in this sport, fun to have, pretty to look at, worth the money most of the time, but are a fun option, not a requirement.  And I think it is a matter of where people choose to spend their fun money.  Some like to travel, others collect art, triathletes buy beer.

i'm with you guys.  but i'm liking tony's set up and i'm pretty sure it was under 500 so there options.

edit.  what is a FRED?

Oh no! If you have to ask, you are definitely FRED material. 
2009-12-11 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2554594

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-12-11 1:19 PM
Plainsman AU - 2009-12-11 12:21 PM Race wheels?

I completely agree with you.  I don't need them, I want them!  Just like I really don't need a new tri bike.....my Seven would have been just fine especially for IMWI's bike course.   For once in my life I want to look like Tony, one of the cool cats....

PS I noticed you did not respond to my bikini request....what are you waiting for? man-up!

MAN UP????    DONE!    I'll take one for the team...Your turn.    Disclaimer...This photo will self destruct by the end of the day.  lol
2009-12-11 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

forgive me for quoting Wikipedia John.....

Fred (bicycling)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Fred" is a derisive term used by "serious" road cyclists to describe other cyclists who do not conform to serious road cyclists' norms with regard to dress and equipment, and appear amateurish to them. The term is generally reserved for men, while the rare female Fred is sometimes called a "Doris."

Recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive gear than his or her talent would warrant. For example, a Fred could be guy with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and buys a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey, and then rides it on a cycling path at 15 mph (25 km/h). Some use "Fred" in a somewhat similar matter, but more synonymous with a roadie poseur. Such a person is more aware of roadie culture, and wants to be seen as a roadie despite lacking in the requisite ability and style (whereas the other type of Fred may have purchased some high-end gear, but is oblivious to road cyclist ways).

2009-12-11 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
ahh.  thanks. 

wikipedia -10

2009-12-11 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2554378

User image

Elite
san francisco
DougRob - 2009-12-11 9:40 AM

My race wheels are Eastons and I have a set of Eastons for training. I also have a Mavic front wheel for training they are rugged and priced competitively. I have too many wheels form days gone by (probably 16 in total). I wonder if there is a market for "vintage" wheels?

You could always sell them as trainer wheels?  The guys at my bike shop gave me a rear mavic sl ssc wheel to use on my trainer that someone just told them to "get rid of" since he was upgrading his wheels.  They sold me the cassette and it's perfect!  But I would have paid a hundred or more for a good trainer wheel at performance or somewhere like that. 

I am getting Easton's for my bike and will use them for training and probably racing too.  I have been told they are very well made and not too deep since I am a lightweight, but deeper than my current mavics (on road bike) so a little bit aero.

Tracy, I am feeling all recovered now...going up and down stairs normally and excited for my first run on Monday   Coach okayed a February half marathon.  I'm excited to have a little revenge on the last 3 miles of that run.

Keep your chin up...you're tough!  

Edited by kt65 2009-12-11 3:18 PM
2009-12-11 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Yep, John hit the number.  I paid 800 bucks for my 2 wheels, and that includes the powertap for the back wheel.

In all honesty we could all race on a 20 year old road bike with clip on aero-bars and probably be within a decent amount of time of what we are on our tri bikes.  The more bling that you can afford you will shave some time off your ride.  It's all about justifying it vs. your budget. 

2009-12-11 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Bike Bling Talk

Kind of like back in my old fishing days, a buddy of mine and I used to always say when lookiing at our boat, all the rods and reels, and all the tackle. 

It ain't  about catching fish, but looking good trying to catch fish.  

Now I do all my fishing at Kroger
2009-12-11 6:39 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I am sorry I haven't been around much this week.... Got some stuff keeping me busy these days!  I hope that everyone has a FANTASTIC WEEKEND!!! I do see that we have a couple new members!  I Love it!  It is going to make for a fun transition to the new group here in the next couple weeks!!!
2009-12-11 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2553985

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Plainsman AU - 2009-12-11 7:54 AM
roni_runnw - 2009-12-10 4:20 PM
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 10:52 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Also, thanks for the inspire, Fat, and Tahrens don't worry - I'm not easily intimidated. I mean...I'm training for a triathlon at 44 y/o and 50lbs overweight, right?

Name: Trina

Status: Married with one grown child, two schnauzers, and one cat.

Current Training: Training for first sprint in Spring/Summer 2010. Still looking for the right first race. Started cycling in Spring 2009 and consider that my base.

2009 Races: Never raced.

2010 Goals: Participate in my first sprint triathlon. I'll see where I stand when it's race time. If I feel that I'm not ready I'll not race, and continue to train until I am ready. I am determined, but don't want to injure myself.

Other goals include hiring a swim coach to help with form and endurance. I also need to work up to the 5K run, so I'm doing walk/run intervals. I'm overweight, so I need to drop some weight before I get serious about running.

Weightloss: Definitely an issue with me. I need to drop 50lbs to be at my target weight. I need to get info on recommended diet, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Add'l info about me: I am self-employed, business is established so I'm cruising, have an empty nest, very goal oriented, ex-athlete (softball and volleyball), and desire better health so training for a tri seemed like a logical solution.

Hi Trina! Nice to meet you! You will definitely be ready for a tri by Summer! Have you looked at some of the training plans on this site? When I first found this site about 3 years ago, I had only biked recreationally on occasion, had never swam laps, and never ran a mile. I followed the basic "Couch to Sprint" training plan and finished my first sprint tri. After that I was hooked!

I also lost 55lbs, most of it before triathlons, by being more active, eating more mindfully, and counting calories.  I'm still down about 40lbs, but as you can see from the numbers it is important to continue to be mindful of your eating while training. The activity of training will help you burn more calories, but if you aren't careful it is easy to make up for all of those calories burned through what you're eating. I've done it quite successfully by gaining 15lbs over the last 1.5 years while training for marathons and triathlons.  Right now I'm busy getting my diet back under control with a goal of losing 20lbs. So feel free to send me a message, and we can trade tips, recipes, etc. There is a forum here on BT called "triing for weight loss" that has some support groups and other advice as well. I've also heard great things about Weight Watchers. If you don't want to "count calories" they have a system that makes it a bit easier. I think Doug (DougRob) is doing WW, hopefully he'll chime in on this too.

So when are the BIKINI pics going to start back?

Hmmm... maybe when I reach my goal. The monthly bikini pics were supposed to help motivate me, but it wasn't really working. And... well, I'm not really into public humiliation

2009-12-11 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2553863

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
tahrens - 2009-12-11 6:52 AM Good morning all.  Thank you for letting me rant yesterday.  I appreciate all your support.  I'll be patient, I promise.  And just for you John I will find some cheerleading photos.  No cracks about hairstyles or hand placements.

Trina - I second what everyone is saying about your first race. Super sprints are fantastic first races. Let us know what you choose, open water or pool, for there is different advise for each.  I would also recommend going to watch a sprint before you race one.  It will do a lot to settle your nerves on the funny little details like how to work a transition, where you can /can't get on your bike, what body marking is, how do you line up for the swim etc.  And you don't need lots of gear or nutrition for a sprint race - so don't get worried about that.

Rob - those sound like great kick drills. Once I am allowed to use my legs again I'm all over it. Providing I find a pool with a deep end, my pool is only lap lanes that stay around 4 ft deep.  Maybe I'll find a spot with a cute lifeguard so I can get some hot mouth to mouth when I sink.........(things that make you go hmmmmmm)

Tony - very pretty and wicked fast looking. But I don't see any PINK PLANET X's in the background SAM?!?!?!?!?!?

Reuben,  how are the vitamin D supplements going?

Kim and Roni - how are you ladies feeling?  Hope all is well on the post race recovery.  Epson salt baths are fabulous. Roni, all you have to do is go jump in the lake at Glacier National Park for a quick ice bath and you're good to go.

Andy - way to be a good son.  And I would say lugging carpet around definitly counts as a workout for the day.

All the soreness in my muscles is finally gone. It only took about 4 days, 5 for my right quad. The downhill really trashed my quads, but feeling good today, and itching to get back to training. I'm going to try a short run tomorrow or Sunday and see how it feels. Thanks for asking!
2009-12-11 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2554413

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
cadmus - 2009-12-11 9:55 AM I just signed up for the Jingle Bell Run (arthritis foundation) tomorrow.  You can make eye contact again, I'm not here to solicit donations

Have a great run tomorrow!
2009-12-11 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2555222

User image

Champion
Best I could do on short notice for a bikini picture.

2009-12-11 8:19 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
i have a 13 mile run tomorrow. so only a four pack of guinness tonight.  now its 3 and 1/2 pack because i just spit half of one all over the keyboard.  thanks. 

hysterical.
2009-12-11 8:47 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

The one week hiatus is over. back to the pool tomorrow morning!! Sweet. Check this out...

Sunday
Dec. 13
Monday
Dec. 14
Tuesday
Dec. 15
Wednesday
Dec. 16
Thursday
Dec. 17
Friday
Dec. 18

Cloudy with sunny breaksMainly sunnyCloudy periodsVariable cloudinessCloudy periodsSnow-rain showers
P.O.P.40%10%20%40%20%40%
High-11°F-4°F20°F32°F34°F34°F
Low-18°F-22°F-8°F20°F27°F22°F

Our weather is crazy here!!! We get the warm wind of the mountains and it change in a hearbeat.

2009-12-11 10:09 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

2nd dreadmill session after getting cleared by the ortho to "slowly" start running again...  You all know I have never been the strongest runner, but after almost 2 months away from running, it is like starting over again...  ugghh....  Hopefully the fitness will come back quicker and easier...

2009-12-12 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
holy crap that was weird.  i went to check in and there was no mg!!!  did anyone see that?  we've been archived so this means new blood!  awesome.

hope everyone has a great weekend.
2009-12-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2555666

User image

Champion
yeah, I was confused there for a moment.

Had a great ride this morning.  Our bike team does a training group during the winter.  Practiced double pace lines and TTT pace lines.  Worked on reaching out and touching the person next to you as you move up the pace line.  Gets you used to steering with your body vs your arms. 

Was a bit chilly but had a great time. 
2009-12-12 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Thanks Steve! 

Some amazing stuff has gone on here the past several months.  Looking forward to the next MG.  

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-12 2:58 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383