BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-01-12 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3987275

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
badgerintx - 2012-01-12 6:08 PM
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-12 12:44 PM

suzy, dino just put a bit hit on moo as a potential 2013 venue!

Ok, it has a been a really long week and my brain is completely fried from Year End, Inventories, and Union Negitations .....  I did what??

You basically told John that there is group sex on every corner on campus during IM.  He is very excited.

2012-01-12 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3985472

User image

mighty mom - 2012-01-12 7:18 AM

Started to look at flights this morning.  Do I bring the kids or not?  It will be Nicholas' first week of school (1st grade) so I'm hesitant based on that alone.  Alexa can miss daycare no problem.  But then there is the issue with the hotel room (reservation at the Concourse Hotel with 2 Queen beds).  They are night owls and, from experience at Timberman, they fought bedtime pretty hard.  Then there is the issue of what would they do all day.   Overall, I really want them there but when I think of the logistics I wonder if its better for them to stay home. Thoughts???

I was going to stay out of this, but I think you brought up an important concern that's been overlooked. Everything else aside, this would make it a no for me. 

2012-01-12 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Elite
san francisco

My rr's are done.  I wanted to wait til i got the photo download from brightroom...kathy surprised me and bought them...but some people are so impatient!!!

will edit when i get the real things...enjoy!  and thanks again for all of your support!

half here

full here

2012-01-12 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3987340

User image

Champion
marietta
gotta run - 2012-01-12 7:49 PM

Started to look at flights this morning.  Do I bring the kids or not?  It will be Nicholas' first week of school (1st grade) so I'm hesitant based on that alone.  Alexa can miss daycare no problem.  But then there is the issue with the hotel room (reservation at the Concourse Hotel with 2 Queen beds).  They are night owls and, from experience at Timberman, they fought bedtime pretty hard.  Then there is the issue of what would they do all day.   Overall, I really want them there but when I think of the logistics I wonder if its better for them to stay home. Thoughts???

I was going to stay out of this, but I think you brought up an important concern that's been overlooked. Everything else aside, this would make it a no for me. 

no.  not overlooked.  i certainly would not elect to propose racing ironman during the first week of school.  but i have to assume, based one her posting this question, christina already had this conversation with her husband and decided to go for it.

2012-01-12 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3987275

User image

Champion
marietta
badgerintx - 2012-01-12 7:08 PM
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-12 12:44 PM

suzy, dino just put a bit hit on moo as a potential 2013 venue!

Ok, it has a been a really long week and my brain is completely fried from Year End, Inventories, and Union Negitations .....  I did what??

nevermind suzy and her politics...

you said this "I would suggest leaving the little ones at home."  i won't do that, so no moo!

2012-01-12 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3987421

User image

fattyfatfat - 2012-01-12 8:41 PM

no.  not overlooked.  i certainly would not elect to propose racing ironman during the first week of school.  but i have to assume, based one her posting this question, christina already had this conversation with her husband and decided to go for it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so grumpy. That's what I get for posting quickly while doing other things! I should have added that my son is about the same age and has a hard time with transitions, so he would have an easier time staying home. That may not be true for other kids.

2012-01-12 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3987455

User image

Champion
marietta
gotta run - 2012-01-12 9:00 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so grumpy. That's what I get for posting quickly while doing other things! I should have added that my son is about the same age and has a hard time with transitions, so he would have an easier time staying home. That may not be true for other kids.

but you would not register for a race during a time that you felt would interfere with your family's schedule.  so you would not be in the position to figure out where the j man would have an easier time (at race or at home).  that's my point.  again, communicate and vet potential issues prior to signing up.  that's all.  

2012-01-12 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Thank you all for your perspectives and insight. I find them all valid which is why I am so torn. Yes, the first week of school is not ideal timing for my son but it is the best timing for me. And while education is incredibly important to me, I don't think missing two days of first grade is going to damage his development. I think my husband is going to have to make the final call. While I know I wouldn't hesitate if the roles were reversed, I also know it will be a lot of work.Congrats on the wheels, Doug!
2012-01-12 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3987490

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-12 9:19 PM
gotta run - 2012-01-12 9:00 PM

but you would not register for a race during a time that you felt would interfere with your family's schedule.  so you would not be in the position to figure out where the j man would have an easier time (at race or at home).  that's my point.  again, communicate and vet potential issues prior to signing up.  that's all.  

I agree, Fatty. MH and I sat down on multiple occasions discussing the pros and cons of every US IM. Thing is, we'd still be debating the decision even if I was racing LP over summer vacation.
2012-01-12 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3986080

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
DougRob - 2012-01-12 11:13 AM

Yesterday was a real crappy day, but today is AWESOME !:

I just won a pair of race wheels in a raffle from FSseries! I thought they drew the winner a while ago and I had lost. I need new wheels but was not willing to spend the $.

Congrats!!

2012-01-12 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3987515

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

mighty mom - 2012-01-12 6:34 PM Thank you all for your perspectives and insight. I find them all valid which is why I am so torn. Yes, the first week of school is not ideal timing for my son but it is the best timing for me. And while education is incredibly important to me, I don't think missing two days of first grade is going to damage his development. I think my husband is going to have to make the final call. While I know I wouldn't hesitate if the roles were reversed, I also know it will be a lot of work.Congrats on the wheels, Doug!

The biggest part of this is knowing yourself.....and your family!!!  We have an amazing cross-section of peeps in this MG, and we ALL want what is best for our families!!!

Out to dinner tonight with my youngest.....talked about hubby doing doing IMSG, and he advised me that he had a prior commitment.  I asked him what it was......and he said 'anything else'.  I laid on the mommy guilt, and he told me that he didn't feel like watching his dad puke.  lovely.  when I reminded him that he never had.....that was me....he scrambled.  HA!   And this is the kid that will be racing his first HIM in July.......

2012-01-12 9:32 PM

User image

Master
and I'm out to dinner with the youngest because hubby is traveling....again.  Being the breadwinner must really stink.  No sarcasm here.......
2012-01-12 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3987626

User image

Master

velcromom - 2012-01-12 7:32 PM and I'm out to dinner with the youngest because hubby is traveling....again.  Being the breadwinner must really stink.  No sarcasm here.......

My hubby may as well be traveling... burning the work candle at both ends. I try to be sympathetic, and I don't say things like, "I had such fun running with my pals today!!" It's hard on everyone when one is on the road or overworked, really. But yeah, I think it's harder on the breadwinners (except when my kids have really crappy days, which has happened more than once this week -- then I'd give anything to be doing PowerPoints at 8pm and giving presentations every single day!)!!

2012-01-12 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3986289

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
jfought - 2012-01-12 9:21 AM
kkcbelle - 2012-01-12 10:17 AM

I had my kids (now 9 and 11) at my two IMs and it is a TON of work for whomever is caring for them. My kids think IM is a blast because they end up getting to spend a lot more screen time than usual and they like swimming in the hotel pool. But it is a LONG day and there is not a ton for them to do. (MOO may be different?)

My family never saw me on race-day morning and they opted out of the swim exit (OK by me). The first IM I let them opt out of the bike entirely, and they hung out at a friend's lakeside house :45 from the race. They met me half-way through the run and at the finish. Finish was about 2 hours past my daughter's bedtime. Year two we had extra help (husband plus my parents), and again they opted out of swim exit, but they did see me twice on the bike and at a point on the run where I passed them twice and then at the finish. Pictures from the day show everyone at a restaurant for lunch, and I know the kids hung around playing their DS's much of the time!

I wanted the kids to see me finish, I'm glad they were there. They are glad they were there. But again, it is a TON of work for whomever is in charge of them. Leading up to the race I just checked stuff in and basically wanted to rest up and not do a ton... So I relied on others to keep them entertained/tired, or I chose sit-by-the-indoor-pool-at-the-hotel duty so I could rest while they played (and give my husband a small break).

This was my concern.  I can see why you want them there and I think it's a great way to set an example for them.  That said, I think you should let the person (or people) going with you decide.  You will likely need some support for yourself, and the kids will need A LOT of care and attention.  Will there be enough "help" to go around. 

Maybe they can go see one of your BIG races when they're a little older and self-sufficient.  Remember, in the end, you need to do what feels right for YOU Smile

Everyone is different and feel differently about this. We just had Avery with us in Hawaii at the swim start at 5:45 in the morning and managed to play all day and watch most of the race. (she was 14yrs old and it was Africa hot). I would not change it. Even more if so if I (or Kim) was racing. Keep it a family friendly event. This sport is suppose to be fun. If your in the hunt for price money I get it, but let's face it.... We aren't.
2012-01-12 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3987674

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2012-01-12 8:23 PM

I had my kids (now 9 and 11) at my two IMs and it is a TON of work for whomever is caring for them. My kids think IM is a blast because they end up getting to spend a lot more screen time than usual and they like swimming in the hotel pool. But it is a LONG day and there is not a ton for them to do. (MOO may be different?)

My family never saw me on race-day morning and they opted out of the swim exit (OK by me). The first IM I let them opt out of the bike entirely, and they hung out at a friend's lakeside house :45 from the race. They met me half-way through the run and at the finish. Finish was about 2 hours past my daughter's bedtime. Year two we had extra help (husband plus my parents), and again they opted out of swim exit, but they did see me twice on the bike and at a point on the run where I passed them twice and then at the finish. Pictures from the day show everyone at a restaurant for lunch, and I know the kids hung around playing their DS's much of the time!

I wanted the kids to see me finish, I'm glad they were there. They are glad they were there. But again, it is a TON of work for whomever is in charge of them. Leading up to the race I just checked stuff in and basically wanted to rest up and not do a ton... So I relied on others to keep them entertained/tired, or I chose sit-by-the-indoor-pool-at-the-hotel duty so I could rest while they played (and give my husband a small break).

This was my concern.  I can see why you want them there and I think it's a great way to set an example for them.  That said, I think you should let the person (or people) going with you decide.  You will likely need some support for yourself, and the kids will need A LOT of care and attention.  Will there be enough "help" to go around. 

Maybe they can go see one of your BIG races when they're a little older and self-sufficient.  Remember, in the end, you need to do what feels right for YOU Smile

Everyone is different and feel differently about this. We just had Avery with us in Hawaii at the swim start at 5:45 in the morning and managed to play all day and watch most of the race. (she was 14yrs old and it was Africa hot). I would not change it. Even more if so if I (or Kim) was racing. Keep it a family friendly event. This sport is suppose to be fun. If your in the hunt for price money I get it, but let's face it.... We aren't.

Ahhhh, they grow up so fast, don't they??!!

2012-01-12 11:49 PM

User image

Master

HEY!!! Hope springs eternal.......somebody may pay me (to race?!?!) someday!!!

Our kids have gone to so many places with us.....racing and not....and it's been a blast.  Just my experience....with ME racing a long race like an IM....wouldn't have been so good of a sharing moment!  IVs, medical personnel, eyes rolling back,  yadayada.  However, the baby is racing his first HIM in July - and it will be a family moment.  The trash talking has begun - and he will, in all probability - kick my tushy.

Jeff just called.....his plane just landed.....switcheroo back from single mom to wife.  YEA!!!

2012-01-13 4:09 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Congrats Doug on the wheels! Very exciting and a nice reward for all you hard training.

Quite an interesting debate about taking kids to your IM race, I can't really comment because I've never done anything longer than an Oly but this is the MG so off I go: I usually get to do my races alone because my wife is anti-exercise and thinks it's all so boring! However, on the few occasions when they've come I've felt much more relaxed and the kids have loved it. There's something very special about hearing "Go Daddy!" and looking around and seeing your kids in the crowd. I couldn't imagine running through the IM finish line without them being there - but I'm a big softy...!

2012-01-13 5:36 AM
in reply to: #3987698

User image

Elite
Raleigh
kkcbelle - 2012-01-12 11:56 PM
swbkrun - 2012-01-12 8:23 PM

Ahhhh, they grow up so fast, don't they??!!

Thank you Kyla! IWhen I read this I thought Steve was doingHiaku or some Zen thing. Laughing

2012-01-13 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3987626

Master
Charlotte, NC

velcromom - 2012-01-12 10:32 PM and I'm out to dinner with the youngest because hubby is traveling....again.  Being the breadwinner must really stink.  No sarcasm here.......

Mine is in Kuala Lumpur right now so I understand stinky travel. 

2012-01-13 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3987674

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
swbkrun - 2012-01-12 11:23 PM

Sadly, then they learn to talk and get an opinion, it's all down hill from there Wink

2012-01-13 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

I haven't said a peep so I'll throw in my 2 cents quickly.  All points are wonderful and illustrate all the different scenarios and philosophies.  I really think it comes down to what is right for you and your family at that given race.  Tony and I have brought the kids to many races (tri, bike and running) - some short and some long (all day).  Certain times like the JFK 50 that kept Tony constantly on the move in rural MD, we left the kids at home.  I was grateful to see a happy husband each stop instead of grumpy hubby and whiny kids.  But when we do bring them, the non-racing spouse plans activities for the kids b/c we have no illuisions that they will be excited to sit by the road for 4hrs. holding a sign to cheer for 5 secs.  That said it is wonderful to have a group hug at the end of the day.

And on our next racing note - Woo Hoo - kid free in Miami 2 weeks and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-01-13 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

*****  Let's stir the pot  *****

Why do you want to have your young children and spouse/significant other to suffer for 12 to 17 hours (Ok, 10 in Ryan's case) trying to catch a couple of glimpses of you?  I completely understand YOU wanting your kids at the finish line, but I am not sure that is not just a little selfish!  If the logistics work out where you can turn the trip into a family vacation at a fun location, or you can set up the logistics that they can come later in the day to watch one of your transistion's or watch you come down the chute great.  But, to expect them to be interested for that period of time because you are racing, is just crazy.  Plus with an IM there is all the other duties and tasks that must be completed throughout the weekend.  Ask around to some of the non-racing Spouses or other spectators, trying to move around the course and watching can be a lot of work and can be very stressful.  Even more so with kids in tow.     

Overall, the real goal is to make this a healthy lifestyle, not just a race focus.  My kids, and several of the older kids in this MG, all compete and race at one level or another.  That has much more to do with them seeing their parents putting a priority on being on our bikes at 5 in the AM, or out for a run early on the weekend, than a wall of race numbers in the garage or distant memory of you coming down the chute.  

As an example, I will abuse our fearless leader.  I know he disagrees with me on this issue because of his earlier post.  Birdy has not raced long in a couple of years, but I know he still considers himself an endurance athlete.  I would bet everybody that runs Cougar Hill with him would also more than agree with that opinion as he drops them on the hill like 3rd period French!  My point is that Avery will see this example as a youngin' and learn from it, whether she ever sees him come down the chute again in a race or not.    

2012-01-13 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Way to kill the thread Dino...
2012-01-13 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
So do you not go and watch your kids events because it's boring?
2012-01-13 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3988442

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

cbarnes1 - 2012-01-13 8:36 AM So do you not go and watch your kids events because it's boring?

DOUBLE POST

Edited by swbkrun 2012-01-13 11:13 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117