BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-06-08 4:58 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-06-08 5:18 PM
in reply to: TTom

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group
Originally posted by TTomMy schedule has Thursday/Friday as my heavy days, they were 60m bike with a20min transition run/2500 swim with a 13 mile run.  Today is a very welcome rest day, tomorrow is 1:15 ride with increments at PRE level 4/5.  Last night was supposed to be a great night of sleep, but unfortunately my daughter's dogs got into the snail bait and got poisoned.  I had to drive up to babysit and with all the kerfuffle only got about 2 hours of sleep.  Unfortunately one of the dogs did not make it, but the prognosis for the other one is cautiously optimistic.  Depending on how today/tonight goes, I may choose to take tomorrow as a second rest day (either total or by making the ride an easy ride) letting my body tell me what it needs.
Oh no, sorry about the dogs !
2013-06-08 5:20 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by spudone
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5
Originally posted by spudone

Hey all just dropping in, some of you know me.

I hit a big milestone Wednesday.  The route I rode was identical to a ride I did exactly 1 year ago, before my injury, and I beat my time on the key segments.  Oh and I didn't realize I was riding the same thing until I checked on Strava afterward.

Recovery is mostly done, time to improve!

Even having just "e-met" you, I'm glad for you that the injury is behind you.  Recovering is a pain (literally and figuratively!).

It's way more fun to improve.  Wink  Enjoy!

Matt

Thanks.  I've been lurking here because I have the Lake Stevens 70.3 coming up mid July.

Re: Fred -- my coach wants me riding 50 today and 80 tomorrow.  Zoiks.

I second the zoiks! Guess you really are back.
2013-06-08 5:47 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TTom My schedule has Thursday/Friday as my heavy days, they were 60m bike with a20min transition run/2500 swim with a 13 mile run.  Today is a very welcome rest day, tomorrow is 1:15 ride with increments at PRE level 4/5.  Last night was supposed to be a great night of sleep, but unfortunately my daughter's dogs got into the snail bait and got poisoned.  I had to drive up to babysit and with all the kerfuffle only got about 2 hours of sleep.  Unfortunately one of the dogs did not make it, but the prognosis for the other one is cautiously optimistic.  Depending on how today/tonight goes, I may choose to take tomorrow as a second rest day (either total or by making the ride an easy ride) letting my body tell me what it needs.

Oh man, sorry to hear about the dogs.  That's such a bummer for your daughter's family…  I hope the other makes it through (and you get some sleep and can ride).

Matt

2013-06-08 7:00 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

2013-06-08 7:13 PM

2013-06-08 7:18 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Fred D Ok I've had 4 runs with my new Hoka running shoes. Anyone tried these or interested in my thoughts?

Interested in your thoughts, yes.  Tried them, no.  I just switched over to Newtons and ran a training HM today in them (longest in them yet), but I'm always looking for the next thing!  

2013-06-08 8:18 PM

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Fred DOk I've had 4 runs with my new Hoka running shoes. Anyone tried these or interested in my thoughts?
I use Hokas. I have been battling a case of capsulitis in my foot and they allow me to run pain free and without my foot swelling up after my run like it would without them. I'm interested to hear how you've faired with them.
2013-06-08 10:20 PM
in reply to: amd723

Regular
SF Bay area
Thanks everyone, for your good thoughts.  The surviving dog isn't completely out of the woods, but the doctor is much more optimistic this afternoon.  Fingers remain crossed. 
2013-06-08 11:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I just got home from the bike ride across Nebraska. Today was the last leg and was supposed to be an easy morning. Only 45 miles. The problem was the last 20 were in the hills and in a downpour. I was drenched but glad to ride through it and not hop on a sag wagon, although I don't blame anyone that did. Altogether the route was about 475 miles. I'm going to download the Garmin data Monday and see how I did. I had planned to try my race nutrition plan but that went out the window when I saw the aid stations had fig newtons. I also did the whole ride in my 2XU triathlon shorts (several different pairs not just one) and "hardened" myself. There are actual indentions on my Adamo saddle. Other than some tired legs I feel pretty good overall. I do plan to take a couple days off from the bike though.
2013-06-09 12:44 AM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now...

I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down.

I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own.

Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!

2013-06-09 5:50 AM
in reply to: tri808

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by tri808Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now...I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down.I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own.Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!
Congratulations and happy birthday!
2013-06-09 7:23 AM

Master
Just South of Boston
Originally posted by tri808

Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now...

I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down.

I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own.

Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!

That is awesome! Congrats! Now quit posting and get riding :-)
2013-06-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

2013-06-09 9:56 AM

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by tri808 Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now... I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down. I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own. Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!
Sweet!  Hopefully weather conditions will be friendlier this time!  Happy birthday!
2013-06-09 11:00 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tri808 Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now... I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down. I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own. Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!

Congrats (on this thread - and any other where I see you've so much as posted a reply)!!!  Can't say it enough.  Laughing

On this end (just posted this on another thread, as my mind is crossing wires all over the place, but meant it for the HIM group!), just did a ~57 mile hill ride (with a crazy climber friend who is doing b2b next weekend and is all rested - ouch!) and a 2 mile run off the bike.  The run feels a LOT different after a long ride than a shorter (25 or so) one, although the legs came back under me at about the same point they usually do - or even a half mile earlier.

I definitely need to push the cycling for Timberman, though.  Should be a fun (and brutal) couple of months!

Great weekend of training, though - got a HM in off a 30' spin and a 1.5 mile OWS yesterday and the long ride/short run today.  Wiped out, but feel great!

Off to my now 11 y.o. daughter's b-day party at a water park.  This might be tougher than the ride…  Wink

Matt

2013-06-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: spudone

Veteran
Houston, Texas

For the first time in 11 months, I'm tentatively optimistic that my knee is, in fact, going to one day not be injured!  My physical therapist started doing Graston on my patellar tendon, scar tissue, and the quad muscles where they attach to my knee.  My knee has felt quite good since then.  

I promised myself I wouldn't try running until I have at least a week of my knee feeling good....I went out for a 7.2 mile walk this morning and it was hard to keep myself from running, but I'm trying to be patient with it so I don't end up putting myself back.  But I'm finally feeling like I'm seeing a light at the end of this long tunnel!  

Had a pretty awful ride yesterday, but I did learn a few things: 1. my gearing is not optimal for hilly courses (so I should probably do something about that before Vineman), and 2. drafting truly does work!  There were three guys on tri bikes who passed me and I decided to try to stick with them.  They pulled me along at 21mph for the last five miles of my ride and I was very grateful.  All I wanted to do was get off my bike and throw my saddle into a giant bonfire or something....so being able to blow through the last five miles at a quicker pace was definitely appreciated.

Here's to hoping the biking gets better soon!  And that maybe I'll be able to run a few miles on the Vineman course

2013-06-09 2:02 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Regular
SF Bay area
Nicole, great to hear things are healing up. Good job on being patient. You may start running a bit later, but push it too quickly and you could find yourself back a few weeks or more. And I agree with you - drafting sure is nice when you are tired and have a strong rider in front of you.
2013-06-09 5:11 PM

Had a crummy TT today. Legs just weren't recovered from Honu yet...so I did as best I could all things considered. Still rode a not too bad time of 1:02:14...which was only 74 seconds slower than last year despite putting out about 10% less power. Conditions were somewhat similar to last year, maybe a bit windier as the winning times were slower, so that shows at least my position changes and a few equipment changes have done well for me.
2013-06-10 6:06 AM

Master
Just South of Boston
So, i'm 5 days away from my first race (Patriot HIM) and have had an emotional bomb dropped. Friday night someone I've known my whole life died suddenly from a heart attack. He is only a year younger than me, and I've known him & his family nearly my whole life. He was married, 4 kids under age 13, and this was totally out of nowhere. No known health issues beforehand, and its all just stunning. He & his family have lived next door to my sister & her family for over 15 years as well, so there has always been a connection between our families. Last saw him last time I was at my sisters a few weeks ago. Funeral is tomorrow, and its just mind blowing to think what has happened. Its really something to ponder. The more I think about it, the more depressing it gets, and I'm not in a good place emotionally. Totally demotivating for this weekend as well. Maybe once I get beyond Tuesday I can think about the race on Saturday a bit more, but right now, its not really that important.
2013-06-10 8:06 AM

Veteran
Maryland

Super cool!  What a great early Birthday gift!  Happy Birthday!

2013-06-10 8:15 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

Regular
SF Bay area
Mike, so sorry to hear about your friend.  I know it is a very difficult to deal with as I found myself in your shoes a couple of years ago with the death my best friend.  For me the funeral was hard, but also a chance to really say goodbye and let me start the process of emotional healing.  Take the time to grieve and take care of yourself.  When race day comes, run like the wind.
2013-06-10 10:42 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

Mike...I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. My thoughts go out to you and his family. It's a harsh reminder that we should cherish everyday we wake up and appreciate everything we have in life...because it doesn't last forever.
2013-06-10 10:53 AM

Regular
Chicago

Tom - Very sorry to hear about your dogs and really hope your other dog pulls through. I have had some close calls with my dog friend and it's scary. Animals are very much a part of the family.

Fred and other Hoka runners - I'm interested to know what you think about the shoes!

Steve- congrats on finishing Bike Ride Across Nebraska! Is the course the same each year or is it different?

Jason - so exciting that you will be racing Kona! You didn't know it at the time, but the tough conditions at Hono 70.3 were preparing you for the big event. What a great bday present!

Matt - nice training weekend. I'm very jealous of all of the OWS you are getting in. Our lake is still too cold! I"m hopeful that this week I"ll be able to get into the water.

Nicole - glad the knee is healing up. I also had a similar relevation the first time drafting really clicked in my head. It's especially wonderful in getting you do go longer/faster than you would have otherwise done in training, and then when you do those distances on your own, not as intimidating.

Mike - very sorry on the loss of your friend. Take care of yourself this week.

So Saturday I posted that I was feeling pretty good after the long bike and brick run. That lasted for mayeb 2 hours. I took a nap and I woke up my body was completely exhausted. Fatigued feeling lasted throughout the weekend. The ride took a lot more out of me than I thought. But, my HR issues may be back to normal? Or at least getting there. Sunday's run was acutally a little high, I thought, but probably idicative of the fatigue I was feeling.

And calling all bike mechanics! On Saturday's ride I had a chain issue - lots of skipping at a set interval. I took a look at the chain and two of the links are stuck together. I gave it a good clean and lubed it up, but the links still stick together if I pedal backward. Pedaling forward seems to be OK but I"m not convinced that I have found a permanent solution. Any reasons to the cause or how I can fix it? Should I need to take it in? This chain has about 600 miles on it.

2013-06-10 2:49 PM
in reply to: doxie

Originally posted by doxie

And calling all bike mechanics! On Saturday's ride I had a chain issue - lots of skipping at a set interval. I took a look at the chain and two of the links are stuck together. I gave it a good clean and lubed it up, but the links still stick together if I pedal backward. Pedaling forward seems to be OK but I"m not convinced that I have found a permanent solution. Any reasons to the cause or how I can fix it? Should I need to take it in? This chain has about 600 miles on it.

Hmmm...I've never heard of that considering how new the chain is.

First thing I would check is if the link that is always locking up has a faulty pin or something maybe stuck in the link preventing the link from moving freely. You can check this by purposely dropping your chain to the inside. Just use your finger and pull the chain off the chainrings to release any chain tension. Then find the links that lock up and make sure they can move freely in both directions or there isn't something stuck in there. It could be that it's simply a faulty pin. Or if you're using a chain without a masterlink (one that requires a chain breaker to install), maybe the pin wasn't set properly?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51