BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Gratitude challenge!!!!
Inspired by Salty's no nonsense attitude with me that really helped me look for the "bright spots" in my runs--even though I am not that thrilled with most of them.....Also by Yanti's occasional "things that went well today" post and the most amazing book ("One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp for anyone interested)

Here's the challenge:  Find ONE thing every day that you are thankful for.  Post it in your log. That is it!

This makes me so happy.

A. because I thought you might want to kill me for my comments

B. because it's awesome

I pretty much did at the time, but then I had a grow the h3ll up talk with myself -and read that book

2013-10-03 2:29 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Melon Presser
Originally posted by melbo55

Gratitude challenge!!!!
Inspired by Salty's no nonsense attitude with me that really helped me look for the "bright spots" in my runs--even though I am not that thrilled with most of them.....Also by Yanti's occasional "things that went well today" post and the most amazing book ("One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp for anyone interested)

Here's the challenge:  Find ONE thing every day that you are thankful for.  Post it in your log. That is it!

I like this challenge.  Perhaps a silly question, but must it be a different thing each day?

I think the only guideline is gratitude ... but it'd be cool to post a different one each day and come to realize how they never run out anyway

I used to post in my log (or I'd have spells of weeks or months doing this, then not):

3 Things I Did Well Today

3 Things to Work On (aka what I didn't do so well)

3 Items of Gratitude

Such a simple little list went so far in feeling joy and living it in a practical way.

2013-10-03 2:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by rrrunner
Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by cdban66
Originally posted by switch

I think it was in the Ryan Hall section that Daniels spoke of this a little bit (I've seen it elsewhere too, but we have that one in common). And it was that idea of looking more at the process instead of things like World Champion. It's ok to want things like that, but still put more into the process of training and getting the most out of yourself.

Yes, I need to spend some more time thinking about it like this.  Really, that should "feel" better to me, as I have control over it, and not over the other

I'd like to actually LOVE to not give two-chits about the other part, but the type A person in me can't let that go.

and I would maybe like a little more of that competitive spirit. Wanna share? Smile

I don't know how you can be so fast and not have it?!  See, that's how ingrained it is for me, I can't even comprehend how you can't have it.  I'd gladly share it, if I thought that would work...

So much of running at long distance is running for a time, rather than racing to win (at least at the levels that I've done it), that I can see how it you don't really need it.  But the level that you are at, and the level you are most certainly going to, IDK.  I'll be surprised if it doesn't rear it's head

I've given a lot of thought to the "competative spirit". I wonder if it isn't a product of our environment. Let's take a child, we'll call her Little E. She shows promise at sports so she is encouraged to continue and doing well gives her the drive to win, which helps her work toward the win and so on. Now Little T on the other hand did not show promise at sports. Teachers and parents encouraged her in her academics and probably told her sports aren't her thing (this is not child abuse, see gen y thread). So Little T does not try to improve at sports, does not win and either never had or never developed the will to win.

It's a chicken and egg sort of thing I think.

Just a theory.

My .02

Is Little T more competitive with academics? Is E less in tune to academics? There may be a balance to this.

I am less competitive in sports and academics, both came easy and I didn't have to push hard so I became lazy (my story, I'm sticking to it). However, TW and I play Scrabble and it is cut throat. I believe this stems from the even playing field we are on.

I find the whole topic can be huge, far ranging and very individualized. I like your theory though.

Little T (theoretically, of course) is very competative academically. Like you, it came easy but she still worked to make sure every grade was as close to 100% as she could muster.

Little E... well, I get the (theoretical, of course) impression she is good at everything Laughing 

At this point is Little T theoretically pushing herself to be more well rounded, especially physically?

Ha. Well... Little T isn't so little anymore. But the question lies in whether the competative drive corrolates to the ability to push. As my times improve and I get closer to the podium I would like to dip in to that competative spirit to train harder... but it's just not there! I am improving, but I often question my ability to let myself ease off during training.

Since I am not interested in listening to cases interpreting the contraband forfeiture act, I will jump in here with my gut reaction to this topic. I don't know it is as simple as saying a person was or was not encouraged in a particular area that determines if they have that competitive spirit; I think it may be more a function of a person's basic personality and what is important to him or her. So while a person, because of circumstances, may not have been exposed to sports, when exposed at a later date she will still have the opportunity to exercise her competitive nature if, in fact, that is part of her personality.

that's a good point. Chrissie Wellington is a great example. She was very competative as a kid, but not in sports. Then when she got older and tried sports she channelled that competitiveness in to being a serious contender.

I agree with you both. This is a good topic of discussion over beers and burgers. To big for here and now. Let me know when you're available

2013-10-03 2:41 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, after the ongoing discussion of more concrete/specific goals, I'll test the water with these:

1. Get my 100M swim time < 2:00 by going to masters and working on my form
2. Get my 5K time < 30 min (standalone as primary goal, see if it can translate over to sprints) by running all winter
3. *gotta think of one for biking*
4. Complete a HM with an effort and result that I am happy with (proper training, proper execution)  this is somewhat about time but probably moreso being happy with time, effort and result.  This will hopefully take place Sunday, April 27, 2014 at the 'do-over' of the St. Luke's Half Marathon I did in 2013 as my first HM during which many of you know I had asthma issues and couldn't give it the proper effort.
5. Keep enjoying what I'm doing and remember why I'm doing it (my little gratitude attitude addition!)

2013-10-03 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I think it was in the Ryan Hall section that Daniels spoke of this a little bit (I've seen it elsewhere too, but we have that one in common). And it was that idea of looking more at the process instead of things like World Champion. It's ok to want things like that, but still put more into the process of training and getting the most out of yourself.

Yes, I need to spend some more time thinking about it like this.  Really, that should "feel" better to me, as I have control over it, and not over the other

I'd like to actually LOVE to not give two-chits about the other part, but the type A person in me can't let that go.

and I would maybe like a little more of that competitive spirit. Wanna share? Smile

I don't know how you can be so fast and not have it?!  See, that's how ingrained it is for me, I can't even comprehend how you can't have it.  I'd gladly share it, if I thought that would work...

So much of running at long distance is running for a time, rather than racing to win (at least at the levels that I've done it), that I can see how it you don't really need it.  But the level that you are at, and the level you are most certainly going to, IDK.  I'll be surprised if it doesn't rear it's head

I've given a lot of thought to the "competative spirit". I wonder if it isn't a product of our environment. Let's take a child, we'll call her Little E. She shows promise at sports so she is encouraged to continue and doing well gives her the drive to win, which helps her work toward the win and so on. Now Little T on the other hand did not show promise at sports. Teachers and parents encouraged her in her academics and probably told her sports aren't her thing (this is not child abuse, see gen y thread). So Little T does not try to improve at sports, does not win and either never had or never developed the will to win.

Just a theory.

My .02

Is Little T more competitive with academics? Is E less in tune to academics? There may be a balance to this.

I am less competitive in sports and academics, both came easy and I didn't have to push hard so I became lazy (my story, I'm sticking to it). However, TW and I play Scrabble and it is cut throat. I believe this stems from the even playing field we are on.

I find the whole topic can be huge, far ranging and very individualized. I like your theory though.

Little T (theoretically, of course) is very competative academically. Like you, it came easy but she still worked to make sure every grade was as close to 100% as she could muster.

Little E... well, I get the (theoretical, of course) impression she is good at everything Laughing 

At this point is Little T theoretically pushing herself to be more well rounded, especially physically?

Ha. Well... Little T isn't so little anymore. But the question lies in whether the competative drive corrolates to the ability to push. As my times improve and I get closer to the podium I would like to dip in to that competative spirit to train harder... but it's just not there! I am improving, but I often question my ability to let myself ease off during training.

Since I am not interested in listening to cases interpreting the contraband forfeiture act, I will jump in here with my gut reaction to this topic. I don't know it is as simple as saying a person was or was not encouraged in a particular area that determines if they have that competitive spirit; I think it may be more a function of a person's basic personality and what is important to him or her. So while a person, because of circumstances, may not have been exposed to sports, when exposed at a later date she will still have the opportunity to exercise her competitive nature if, in fact, that is part of her personality.

that's a good point. Chrissie Wellington is a great example. She was very competative as a kid, but not in sports. Then when she got older and tried sports she channelled that competitiveness in to being a serious contender.

I agree with you both. This is a good topic of discussion over beers and burgers. To big for here and now. Let me know when you're available

I'll join y'all on those FL beaches one of these days...

2013-10-03 2:42 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Originally posted by TriAya

Gratitude challenge!!!!

I like this challenge.  Perhaps a silly question, but must it be a different thing each day?

I think the only guideline is gratitude ... but it'd be cool to post a different one each day and come to realize how they never run out anyway

I used to post in my log (or I'd have spells of weeks or months doing this, then not):

3 Things I Did Well Today

3 Things to Work On (aka what I didn't do so well)

3 Items of Gratitude

Such a simple little list went so far in feeling joy and living it in a practical way.

I think it's a great idea if you can find something different each day.  We are surrounded by every day miracles that we often skip right over without a thought as we blast feet first through our day of work--family--training and friendships.   Finding something different may help us to see that sometimes that which we are looking for is never really all that far from us   (cue Dorothy's red slippers clicking there's no place like home)  It doesn't have to be anything huge or have a significant meaning to anyone else but you.....but it may help us all when we reach that "I want to scream" stage to look over our gratitude lists.

2013-10-03 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

For the sake of avoiding long quotes, this post is to all the theoretical "littles" :)

In my n of 1, I can tell you I came out of the womb this way.  I was premature, which back in the 70s was a big deal, and I was a scrapper from day one. 

If I am "in" to something, I am incredibly competitive.  If it doesn't hold my attention, I could give two-chits.  It doesn't really matter if I'm good at it or not, though, in fairness, I think we all tend to like things that we're good at, no?

I was lucky to have success in both sports and academics, but there are plenty of things I SUCK at.  Music? Suck.  Languages? Suck.  Relationships?  Suck (and no, not in that way, you naughties!)

Yeah, let's talk about this over burgers and beers:)  Where and when?

2013-10-03 2:51 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, after the ongoing discussion of more concrete/specific goals, I'll test the water with these:

1. Get my 100M swim time < 2:00 by going to masters and working on my form
2. Get my 5K time < 30 min (standalone as primary goal, see if it can translate over to sprints) by running all winter
3. *gotta think of one for biking*
4. Complete a HM with an effort and result that I am happy with (proper training, proper execution)  this is somewhat about time but probably moreso being happy with time, effort and result.  This will hopefully take place Sunday, April 27, 2014 at the 'do-over' of the St. Luke's Half Marathon I did in 2013 as my first HM during which many of you know I had asthma issues and couldn't give it the proper effort.
5. Keep enjoying what I'm doing and remember why I'm doing it (my little gratitude attitude addition!)

So excellent! 
2013-10-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Orlando

For the sake of avoiding long quotes, this post is to all the theoretical "littles"

In my n of 1, I can tell you I came out of the womb this way.  I was premature, which back in the 70s was a big deal, and I was a scrapper from day one. 

If I am "in" to something, I am incredibly competitive.  If it doesn't hold my attention, I could give two-chits.  It doesn't really matter if I'm good at it or not, though, in fairness, I think we all tend to like things that we're good at, no?

I was lucky to have success in both sports and academics, but there are plenty of things I SUCK at.  Music? Suck.  Languages? Suck.  Relationships?  Suck (and no, not in that way, you naughties!)

Yeah, let's talk about this over burgers and beers  Where and when?

Happy hour here in an hour!
2013-10-03 3:07 PM

User image

Seattle

For the sake of avoiding long quotes, this post is to all the theoretical "littles"

See, I think saying I am not competitive isn't 100% true. Because I am, without question.

But, I also have -eh- I dunno? Like, a logical governor. Which is great. It seems to keep me disciplined and healthy. BUT there are situations where I've got to be able to overcome that. Where I need to be able to throw that out the window and push myself to a place I am uncomfortable with. 

And perhaps that will come, when necessary. Which, as the moment, I don't believe it is.

2013-10-03 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Just a theory.

My .02

I thought that you were going a completely different way on this -

The Slowest Generation - Younger Athletes Are Racing With Less Concern About Time (WSJ)

Not that I agree with the article completely or anything, but this is where I thought you were headed.

2013-10-03 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hey Gang,

I have a couple of questions. 

1) How do you put the list of Manatees with the links on the front of your training log.  Many of you have this, and I would like to follow suit.

2) I would love to know what everyone's plans/goals are going into the off-season.  Some people have goals listed in the from part of their logs, but it would be nice to hear what people are reaching towards these days, if you don't mind sharing

My "A" race is November 10th.  After it I will re-evaluate, but will probably be more run focused.  I am planning a February 25k trail race and before that may do a December HM.  In March I may start a get faster program for all 3 sports, but we'll see.

What are your plans?

ETA:  i will also probably start back with TRX.

OK, so we should check back in with you November 11th?   I always find my self doing big time goal making DURING a race--do you guys do that? 

What are your goals for the 25K trail race? What does TRX do for you--is it something you "just" enjoy, or does it a specific complement to your SBR?  

Usually during the race I'm telling myself I am never doing this stupid thing again! So, I guess I do make goals during a race . My HM PR is 1:50, I think I'd like to challenge that time even though it is a longer, harder course. To do that I will have to pay attention to my running and get in some trail runs. Another goal is to not be attacked by the Everglades wildlife.

TRX is a great core and strength work out which I think benefits my overall fitness. Plus it's a nice change of pace.

2013-10-03 3:17 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

See, I think saying I am not competitive isn't 100% true. Because I am, without question.

But, I also have -eh- I dunno? Like, a logical governor. Which is great. It seems to keep me disciplined and healthy. BUT there are situations where I've got to be able to overcome that. Where I need to be able to throw that out the window and push myself to a place I am uncomfortable with. 

And perhaps that will come, when necessary. Which, as the moment, I don't believe it is.

OK, this makes a ton more sense.  See, you're just smart about it.  This is another reason why you'll be able to be a top performer.  My money is on you, girlfriend.
2013-10-03 3:24 PM

User image

Seattle

OK, this makes a ton more sense.  See, you're just smart about it.  This is another reason why you'll be able to be a top performer.  My money is on you, girlfriend.

So long as it does develop. Wink

Interestingly enough, while we are on this topic, I had an pretty epic breakthrough at practice last night. The group I was running with charged me with being the leader to "tame the beast" (keep them on pace) since they were butchering it and we had to do 3 x 2 miles (which is really hard BTW!!!!!!)

Let me preface by saying I am in my peak week before I taper down a little through a series of races. So, I was taking some calculated risk.

Anyhow, another girl was about 10 seconds ahead of us or so and we had two laps left. I though "eff it" and asked the girls if they wanted to work together to close the gap. It was a little ego-y, which I don't like, but I was using it as a experiment to get out of my comfort zone a little. 

2013-10-03 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So long as it does develop. Wink

Interestingly enough, while we are on this topic, I had an pretty epic breakthrough at practice last night. The group I was running with charged me with being the leader to "tame the beast" (keep them on pace) since they were butchering it and we had to do 3 x 2 miles (which is really hard BTW!!!!!!)

Let me preface by saying I am in my peak week before I taper down a little through a series of races. So, I was taking some calculated risk.

Anyhow, another girl was about 10 seconds ahead of us or so and we had two laps left. I though "eff it" and asked the girls if they wanted to work together to close the gap. It was a little ego-y, which I don't like, but I was using it as a experiment to get out of my comfort zone a little. 

And...?!?!
2013-10-03 3:32 PM

User image

Seattle
Oh, lol, sorry. We closed it. 

2013-10-03 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed Oh, lol, sorry. We closed it. 

When I'm in a situation with others around, be it a race or whatever, I do have a need to pass people in front of me. I guess that goes to what Chris was saying about having others around as a challenge.

So I finally logged my food intake for yesterday and today. I'm not sure how accurate it is historically but I'll be more aware of getting actual numbers going forward. According to the log I was at quite a caloric deficit yesterday. Again, not sure how accurate.

My sports watch died. A sign that I don't have to swim tomorrow? I think so...

2013-10-03 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

This is me to an extent... if there's a way to be competitive (generally with sports, I'm not that smart) I'll find a way, especially if I like the sport.  Even in the bootcamp classes I've done, there was a group of 3 of us that would make it competitive for us during EVERY class.  I didn't care that one of the guys used to run track and the other used to play pro ball for the Eagles, I wanted to beat them at whatever we were doing... well, as long as we weren't doing sprints.  I knew better. 

If it's something that doesn't hold my interest?  Nah, don't care at all. 

Interestingly, I suck at all the same things.  

So... when is this burgers & beer meet-up?  And can I have whiskey instead? 

2013-10-03 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

And because I *FINALLY* feel like I might get to keep the job that I've got... I felt like it was about time to put up some pics 

2013-10-03 4:10 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

This is me to an extent... if there's a way to be competitive (generally with sports, I'm not that smart) I'll find a way, especially if I like the sport.  Even in the bootcamp classes I've done, there was a group of 3 of us that would make it competitive for us during EVERY class.  I didn't care that one of the guys used to run track and the other used to play pro ball for the Eagles, I wanted to beat them at whatever we were doing... well, as long as we weren't doing sprints.  I knew better. 

So, I guess where I am at is that I can only push myself as hard as I can push myself. If that means beating people or beating a PR or whatever your measuring stick is, then great. But ultimately knowing I pushed as hard as I can push is most important. Because that is the only thing I can actually control. 

2013-10-03 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

And because I *FINALLY* feel like I might get to keep the job that I've got... I felt like it was about time to put up some pics 

Had to look on my phone to see them but CUTE!!!!!!!!

2013-10-03 4:15 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm faching crying laughing at this.

The fact that I was dying to know if you closed the gap or not combined with you forgetting to tell that part of the story, could not more perfectly sum up our competitive differences.

And to that end, I'm a faching loser :P 

Too freakin funny.

2013-10-03 4:17 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

And because I *FINALLY* feel like I might get to keep the job that I've got... I felt like it was about time to put up some pics  :)

This is awesome.  I've had the same job for 13 years, and I don't have any pictures up.  You've motivated me.

And, yes, that's interesting that we suck at the same things.

And, double yes, to the whiskey during the burger and beer meet-up.  Now, when is that?

2013-10-03 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

When I'm in a situation with others around, be it a race or whatever, I do have a need to pass people in front of me. I guess that goes to what Chris was saying about having others around as a challenge.

So I finally logged my food intake for yesterday and today. I'm not sure how accurate it is historically but I'll be more aware of getting actual numbers going forward. According to the log I was at quite a caloric deficit yesterday. Again, not sure how accurate.

My sports watch died. A sign that I don't have to swim tomorrow? I think so...

Wait? What?  Your sports watch doesn't do swim stuff?!  I joke, I joke...as I look adoringly at my 910xt and whisper "my precious".

Keep us posted on how the logging goes.  What site/app are you using?

2013-10-03 4:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So, I guess where I am at is that I can only push myself as hard as I can push myself. If that means beating people or beating a PR or whatever your measuring stick is, then great. But ultimately knowing I pushed as hard as I can push is most important. Because that is the only thing I can actually control. 

I read this like 3 times to make sure I had your meaning. This is a really good point and deserves some contemplation. In a recent 2.5 mile run my second mile was 8:47, which is really good for me. I wasn't particularly pushing for speed but I've been focusing on pushing myself, mentally, through times I want to slow down, or walk. I think that brings up my average pace by not walking/slowing down but it also conditions me to improve in the "easy" times.

ETA: the entire run averaged 9:05/mile

Edited by rrrunner 2013-10-03 4:25 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440