General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2012-08-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

Well I figure I might as well join in on the banter.

1.this will be IM number 2 for me. Did lake placid this past July(13:50)

2. Yes(see above answer)

3. My goal is to do better than last year. I screwed up and had a stomach flu the week before so had no appetite on the bike on race day. Really should have just force fed myself but couldn't get enough calories and bonked on the bike and run. I also have individual goals of, as my coaches and fiance say, "becoming a machine" and being able to drop a good hour off my bike and running what I know I can run in the marathon(Collegiate runner, so a 5 hour mary this past july was pretty dissapointing). I also have a huge goal of being consistant. Life got in the way a lot last year with graduating, finding a job, getting engaged, running track and cross, and moving which meant I missed a lot of long workouts on weekends in the winter and spring. I really don't want to miss any long workouts this year.

4. As far as questions go, my biggest one would be how to build up power on the bike but I have looked at Jorge's plan and am going to do that. Also on nutrition, I just need to find out what works for me and then not get sick and lose my appetite.

2012-08-10 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4356444

User image

dsmallacomb - 2012-08-10 8:00 AMOK--I was looking at a tune-up 70.3 race which is part of the Fink competitive plan on the first week or so in June. Any suggestions--Knoxville, Rev3 Quassy(conn.) or Eagleman. Open for any suggestions or ideas. I live in Basking Ridge, New Jersey.
Rev3 Quassy hands down. Rev3 puts on a top-notch event. Free to tickets to an amusement park on-site for the kiddies. Fresh water lake swim, just like LP. A very challenging hilly but scenic Bike and Run. Recover from Quassy and then you have the perfect amount of time to complete a Peak Training Block for LP.
2012-08-10 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4356484

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
TankBoy - 2012-08-10 7:29 AM
dsmallacomb - 2012-08-10 8:00 AMOK--I was looking at a tune-up 70.3 race which is part of the Fink competitive plan on the first week or so in June. Any suggestions--Knoxville, Rev3 Quassy(conn.) or Eagleman. Open for any suggestions or ideas. I live in Basking Ridge, New Jersey.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those races - they are all fantastic from what I can tell. I am probably WAY in the minority on this one, but would you ever consider NOT doing a HIM as a "tune up" race?

I am NOT planning a HIM tune up.  Biggest reason...none around me.  I am planning to do my own metric ironman (2.4 km swim, 112 km bike, 26km run) as a serious training day instead.  Got the idea from Friel's book "Going Long".  I really want to dial in the nutrition and pacing.  Anyone done this?  Thoughts?

2012-08-10 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4357016

User image

Extreme Veteran

Dream Chaser - 2012-08-10 12:24 PM
Rev3 Quassy hands down. Rev3 puts on a top-notch event. Free to tickets to an amusement park on-site for the kiddies. Fresh water lake swim, just like LP. A very challenging hilly but scenic Bike and Run. Recover from Quassy and then you have the perfect amount of time to complete a Peak Training Block for LP.

this

+ is a tough tough race... great prep for LP

I will be there as well!

2012-08-10 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

LP will be my first full IM, and I signed up for the Quassy Rev3 - I've done the Pat Griskus Olympic there the last two years, and the Timberman last year and this year - I'm hoping they will help me with LP.

2012-08-10 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4357371

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
camaleon - 2012-08-10 1:43 PM

this

I will be there as well!

(sneaking into the 2013 thread)

I'll be at the Rev 3 next year-I'm planning on doing both the OLY on Sat and 1/2 on Sunday=the 'revolution'. I may try to get up to LP to volunteer next year...we'll see how my schedule goes...

Quassy is GREAT training for LP, because the hills on the long course don't seem as steep on race day, but the grind is in the total distance. You must appropriately pace both loops of the bike. The long rides of 80+ miles practicing nutrition/hydration are more important for race day but the confidence that the Rev3 1/2 gives is very rewarding and you feel like you can handle any 'bears' in the Whiteface Mts.

2012-08-10 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4357513

User image

Regular
dtoce - 2012-08-10 3:43 PM
camaleon - 2012-08-10 1:43 PM

this

I will be there as well!

(sneaking into the 2013 thread)

I'll be at the Rev 3 next year-I'm planning on doing both the OLY on Sat and 1/2 on Sunday=the 'revolution'. I may try to get up to LP to volunteer next year...we'll see how my schedule goes...

Quassy is GREAT training for LP, because the hills on the long course don't seem as steep on race day, but the grind is in the total distance. You must appropriately pace both loops of the bike. The long rides of 80+ miles practicing nutrition/hydration are more important for race day but the confidence that the Rev3 1/2 gives is very rewarding and you feel like you can handle any 'bears' in the Whiteface Mts.

For 2012, I planned on doing the Kinetic Half in early May but had a conflict with a very important First Communion.  So then as a back up I registered for a race in Virginia called Monticelloman.  I got sick and did not start.  For 2013, I'm excited to go down to Raleigh for the inaugural IM 70.3 there on June 2.  I lived in Raleigh for seven years and the run course goes right past my old neighborhood.  I think they will open up registration for it in a couple of weeks.

For what its worth, I've never been to Quassy and never, ever heard anyone say something bad about how the race was run, the quality of the athletes etc.  It sounds like a fantastic Rev3 production.  I have heard moaning about the challenge of the course but I tend to think everything is doable if you choose the right pace and nutrition.  Not sure where you want to go on 95 so a Connecticut race might make more sense than heading south to Virginia.

2012-08-10 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Just booked a place to stay for next year - yay! I have a feeling it's a bit of a place that time forgot, but it has no minimum and it was super cheap, so I almost don't care. I would resent spending 2K on accomodations though.

As for HIM's, I think I will go with Hunter Mtn (HITS) in early June. It's in the Catskills mountains, (NY) about 5 miles from where I used to live.

2012-08-11 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4353154

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
cornick - 2012-08-08 11:36 AM

Round #2 for me! This time I'm hoping to not break anything 3 weeks before race date and go into it healthy and able to race rather than just finish.

Looking forward to this thread.

Rusty, glad to see you're doing it again!

Jeff

Jeff,I was checking out the forum and saw you in a couple of the videos. You are a bada$$. I broke my clavicle and ribs in a crit crash in April and I'm still not 100%. No idea how you managed that all day. Truly impressive. Joe
2012-08-11 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4356732

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
TeamAndyBU - 2012-08-10 8:19 AM

Well I figure I might as well join in on the banter.

1.this will be IM number 2 for me. Did lake placid this past July(13:50)

2. Yes(see above answer)

3. My goal is to do better than last year. I screwed up and had a stomach flu the week before so had no appetite on the bike on race day. Really should have just force fed myself but couldn't get enough calories and bonked on the bike and run. I also have individual goals of, as my coaches and fiance say, "becoming a machine" and being able to drop a good hour off my bike and running what I know I can run in the marathon(Collegiate runner, so a 5 hour mary this past july was pretty dissapointing). I also have a huge goal of being consistant. Life got in the way a lot last year with graduating, finding a job, getting engaged, running track and cross, and moving which meant I missed a lot of long workouts on weekends in the winter and spring. I really don't want to miss any long workouts this year.

4. As far as questions go, my biggest one would be how to build up power on the bike but I have looked at Jorge's plan and am going to do that. Also on nutrition, I just need to find out what works for me and then not get sick and lose my appetite.

Jorge's plan looks great for improving your bike. I'd also try to find a regular, serious, FAST group ride with some roadies. Riding regularly with guys that are much faster than you will really improve your power and handling ability on the bike. Nutrition wise I know a lot of folks that swear by Infinit and I find I tolerate perpetuam very well.
2012-08-11 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

Im in for my second go at IMLP.  My first was in 2010, where I finished in just over 14 hours way undertrained on an average of 7 hours a week training. 

My goal this time is to train consistently and see where that takes me.  Hopefully under 12 hours.

I LOVED the race and the experience the first time around and am really looking forward to going back.

2012-08-11 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina

I will join the party at IMLP also.

1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done LP before?
3. What are your goals for the 2013 race?
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc…

I did IMFL in 2011 and hoping to break 12:59:59 at IMLP.  Need to be ready for the hills on the bike!

Just spent 2 hours unsuccessfully searching for lodging.  Through all the usual hotel and condo search sites.  Any fresh ideas?

Kurt

2012-08-11 1:58 PM

Regular

Has everyone registered for Quassy?  Only reason I ask is that Mooseman is apparently no more, leaving Quassy for the pretty close to optimal time for the Fink program.  

General other question:  I started the Jorge program this weekend (good but ouch!), and for some of the HR intervals, I cannot see the variation in HR if the time interval is too short (ie 30 secs).  It calls for a pretty large increase or reduction in effort, which I try to do, but by perception.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Are any HR monitors better than others?  (I use a Garmin)

2012-08-11 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
I'm registered for Quassy.
2012-08-11 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4358568

User image

Colchester, VT

As for the HR question, I found this article (http://www.training4cyclists.com/5-steps-for-better-heart-rate-monitor-training/). Not saying it's right or wrong, but there is in fact a delay. You'll probably find more info if you google HRM delay.

3. Don’t use a heart rate monitor for pacing in anaerobic intervals

If you do short intervals with a length of less than 3minutes and don’t repeat them over and over again, then it is not a good idea to use your heart rate monitor for pacing. The reason is that your heart rate is delayed in the first 2-3 minutes of the intervals and thus will not reflect your current work. Anaerobic intervals should be done on feeling or optimally by pacing with a SRM crank, PowerTap or similar.

2012-08-11 7:03 PM

User image

New user

Orford, New Hampshire

This is my first IM!  I've been racing for 5 years including 3x Timberman 70.3 and a number of Oly and Sprint distance races. You will generally find me towards BOP. Now that I've finished my Master's degree I have some extra time on my hands.

I volunteered this year in the Ladies Transition tent and from 8-midnight at the last water stop on the run course. Volunteering was incredible and I learned a lot from the athletes.  I did swim one loop in Mirror Lake and it felt great.

To finish.

The bike will be my biggest challenge. I really need to work on getting faster and tackling as many hills as possible.  I am also looking at the Fink training plan along with plans in the Bernhardt book and the Fitzgerald book. I was injured last year and that along with finishing graduate work earned me about 20 extra pounds that I need to remove.

My other challenge will be time management between October and March while 1 son plays travel team ice hockey and the other son plays high school basketball. Should be interesting...

I did splurge on lodging at the Whiteface Lodge. My husband and boys will be very happy there and a happy family alleviates a lot of race day stress for me. I booked for 4 nights, we didn't want to be in LP for 5-7 days as we have other stuff going on next summer, and we can cancel relatively close to race day if something unexpected happens.

4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc&help)

I have my bike training zones set by power and not heart rate.  When a training plan states "bike in heart rate zone x for x minutes" does that mean I can bike in that corresponding power zone? 

Someone mentioned something about "Mooseman being no more". What is up with that? Mooseman is less than an hour's drive for me and I was planning on doing the 70.3 as a training race.

2012-08-11 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4358685

Regular
novitt - 2012-08-11 5:48 PM

As for the HR question, I found this article (http://www.training4cyclists.com/5-steps-for-better-heart-rate-monitor-training/). Not saying it's right or wrong, but there is in fact a delay. You'll probably find more info if you google HRM delay.

If you do short intervals with a length of less than 3minutes and don’t repeat them over and over again, then it is not a good idea to use your heart rate monitor for pacing. The reason is that your heart rate is delayed in the first 2-3 minutes of the intervals and thus will not reflect your current work. Anaerobic intervals should be done on feeling or optimally by pacing with a SRM crank, PowerTap or similar.

That's sort of what I figured, but thanks.  At some point I would love to get a power meter, but am not sure that is in the cards for a little while.  Are there any opinions with respect to crank vs. hub based (or pedal based, I guess) systems?  And those who use them, have they changed the way you ride/race that much?  Thanks in advance!

2012-08-13 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4358812

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
jsenc2002 - 2012-08-11 7:22 PM

Are there any opinions with respect to crank vs. hub based (or pedal based, I guess) systems?  And those who use them, have they changed the way you ride/race that much?  Thanks in advance!

I have the same questions about power meters.  I'm always intrigued, but I know nothing about them.

Also, if training by HR is supposed to keep the lactic acid from building (when in zone 2), how does training by power do that?  What if I'm riding a hilly route?  Doesn't staying at the same power even on a hill increase your HR and lactic acid build-up?

Tasr, thanks for the confirmation on changing cassette.  I'll see where my training takes me this year and then consider a 12-27 after a spring training camp in LP.

2012-08-13 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc&hellip 

Glad to see a 2013 group started!

1. Yes ... this will be my first IM. I've only raced 1 Sprint and 1 Oly so far. I hope to find an inexpensive HIM for next Spring, but may be jumping right to IM distance. I'm a lifelong runner and have run many marathons ... I biked a lot in High School and through college, but took a 25 year "break" from it until last summer when I bought my roadie (that I'll be riding for LP).

2. I volunteered this year in the gear bag area. Had a great time learning the flow of the course. I swam a loop and biked the loop once as well. I'll be doing significant climbing work through the gaps of Vermont this Fall and next spring.

3. My goal is to take my training to a point where I am starting with confidence that I can perform and enjoy the rewards of a solid training session. Somewhere in the 12 hour range would be ideal, but I'll truly be happy to finish feeling like I raced my plan.

4. No questions at this point. I'm looking forward to becoming part of this virtual community as we all prepare for the event. 

2012-08-13 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

Was finally able to start my training back up. 3 miles yesterday and 3 today.  HUGE RIGHT?!

Shoulder held up great and the legs are sore! 6 weeks removed from ANY training and 3 weeks removed from IMLP12 it's amazing what you lose!

49 weeks and counting.

2012-08-13 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4358490

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
Finally got a reservation for 3 nights at the Saranac Lake Inn!!  Whew, guess I shouldn't have waited 2 weeks.

2012-08-13 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4358812

User image

Colchester, VT
jsenc2002 - 2012-08-11 8:22 PM

That's sort of what I figured, but thanks.  At some point I would love to get a power meter, but am not sure that is in the cards for a little while.  Are there any opinions with respect to crank vs. hub based (or pedal based, I guess) systems?  And those who use them, have they changed the way you ride/race that much?  Thanks in advance!

Hub based power meters cost less, but they are specific to one wheel, so if you have race wheels and training wheels, you need two hub based power meters, so not cost effective in the long run. Crank based are more up front, but you can swap wheels anytime. Garmin is working on a pedal based power meter, but it has issues and last I knew it's release was delayed indefinitely. Personally, I woudln't go pedal based because it uses an algorithm to calculate power and isn't truly power based. You can buy an iPhone app that will do the same. Maybe try that to play with. I think hub and crank based systems are both great, but it comes down to # of wheel sets and amount of $$$ you want to invest. I have an SRM and love it. It wasn't that much more than others and is the gold standard of power. Power, like heart rate, is just a tool, so you have to use it smartly. It won't make you a better biker by itself.

2012-08-14 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Good morning peeps ...

How does this community work? Are we sharing our training along the way in a daily format? 

I guess I'm officially in a run-focus period for a while. It's already too dark to get my riding done before work, so I'll be shifting weekday rides to the afternoon/evenings until it's time to bring it all back indoors. But I've got a 12 week marathon training plan beginning at the end of the month, and I'm on an ultra team for the Reach the Beach relay in September, so I need to bring my mileage back up. Got 6 in this morning at a general aerobic pace. 

We decided to turn a basement guest room that was only getting used a few times each year into a training room, so I'll have a sweet set-up for trainer rides this winter. I moved the weights in there as well and had a nice inaugural weight session/core work last night.

I'm still looking for housing for IM weekend ... looking to rent a small cottage or apartment, and waiting to hear on one lead.  

2012-08-14 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4362079

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
BernardDogs - 2012-08-14 7:33 AM

Good morning peeps ...

How does this community work? Are we sharing our training along the way in a daily format? 

Morning!

This is the BEST place to ask about all sorts of stuff...obviously specific to LP.

• Training questions
  • Course questions (strategy, elevation, etc)
  • Places to stay
  • Who's doing what
  • Gear questions
  • Set up training trips (as some of us are local and will make several trips)

Hope that helps a little bit.

2012-08-14 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4362220

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
cornick - 2012-08-14 9:31 AM 

This is the BEST place to ask about all sorts of stuff...obviously specific to LP.

• Training questions
  • Course questions (strategy, elevation, etc)
  • Places to stay
  • Who's doing what
  • Gear questions
  • Set up training trips (as some of us are local and will make several trips)

Hope that helps a little bit.

Awesome. I'm in Burlington, VT and could see a few more training rides this fall. Then, of course, a bunch next spring.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59