BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-12-27 8:14 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Welcome back, Tsvi... good to see your icon again and welcome Judi and Judd - I'm liking the Virginia / Mid-Atlantic contingent!

Tsvi - are you thinking about coming up to C'ville for the Chris Greene lake swim again this year? I'd like another crack at that now that I've experienced it and see if I can ward off those leg cramps that killed my time last year.

Judi - did you do the Richmond Marathon? I'm glad to have done it, but I think will likely stick to half marathons (and under) from here on out. Richmond was a nice course though - loved the runs over the bridges and along the river. Don't ask me anything about mile 17+... lol.

Stu

2013-12-27 8:42 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-27 8:44 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Dublin, Ohio
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Hi Scott!

A world record! That's HUGE! I am in awe..........

I'm running as much as I am because I'm doing Boston in April. What a terrifying race! I've done it six times and the downhills beat up the body!

Love your post on the swimming drills. You are going to be a huge source of swimming information!

Louisville is going to be amazing!

Wendy
2013-12-27 8:53 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

Champion
Bronze member

Hi,

Is there room in this group for one more?

I am Robin, 53 and an adult onset athlete. I somehow stumbled upon triathlon when I was in a weight loss mode in 2008. I had started running doing the c25k program. I have always trained by myself and stumbled upon this site. I did my first sprint that summer and was never more proud of myself. Since then, minor but annoying health issues helped me put on the weight I have gained but I have still been plugging at races a few HMs and a couple of Olympic distances. like others here, I only really can do 2-3 races a year.

My goal this year is to shed the excess weight (40 lbs would be good) if for no other reason than it sure would be easier to run and bike! I would really like to do better that DFL in the NYC tri this year, too

Married for 18 years with two semi-adult step kids. (24 and 25).

2013-12-27 9:06 AM
in reply to: juneapple

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by juneapple Welcome back, Tsvi... good to see your icon again and welcome Judi and Judd - I'm liking the Virginia / Mid-Atlantic contingent! Tsvi - are you thinking about coming up to C'ville for the Chris Greene lake swim again this year? I'd like another crack at that now that I've experienced it and see if I can ward off those leg cramps that killed my time last year. Judi - did you do the Richmond Marathon? I'm glad to have done it, but I think will likely stick to half marathons (and under) from here on out. Richmond was a nice course though - loved the runs over the bridges and along the river. Don't ask me anything about mile 17+... lol. Stu

Yes, I did Richmond.  THe course is beautiful and all---but my body hated every minute of training. My knee quit at mile 18 and I had to walk it in to finish.

When is the lake swim in C'ville?  Sounds like a fun one and I have toyed with that in the past.

2013-12-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Veteran
Queens, NY
I'd like to join, please- still open?

I'm Megan; 48 adult onset athlete who started doing tris a few years; ago- then stopped, got into running, and then started tri-ing again last year. I finally completed an Olympic last year (NYC) and had a blast. I hope to tri it again this year along with my first HIM in September. I also completed my first marathon this fall - it was great, until my IT band went on strike about an hour after I was done. Never dealt with any limiters before so this is very frustrating, and slowing down has helped some hard lost pounds creep back on .

I'm 48, married 24 years with 4 kids age range 24-13, and have a somewhat demanding job.Anyone else in the NYC area?

2013-12-27 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4918777

Master
East Side of the Bay
Is there room for another gray?

I have been on BT for a few years now but have fallen off the Tri but not exercise wagon. Last year was mostly spent int he gym but I would like to get outside more and Tri again.

Past races have been sprint,only and I did a HIM in Sept 2011. I've completed a few half marathons and hope to do another this spring.

I am also an adult onset athlete since my mid-40's. I am 55 now. Married almost 35 years. One daughter launched and a second at home working and attending college. I work 3 days as an internal medicine doc and have lots of hobbies. Maybe too many. I also teach a Spin class at my gym on Wednesday nights. At least I get one ride in!

Hope there is room. TGIF everyone. One one Christmas cookie for breakfast today. Making progress!

Kathy
2013-12-27 10:13 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by ceilidh

Hi,

I am Robin, 53 and an adult onset athlete..

Hi Robin--you're in. Welcome to the forum!

Steve
2013-12-27 10:14 AM
in reply to: bluwatersoul

Regular
Originally posted by bluwatersoul

I'd like to join, please- still open?

I'm Megan; 48 adult onset athlete who started doing tris a few years; ago- then stopped, got into running, and then started tri-ing again last year.

Hi Megan:

We've added you to the forum team. Welcome.

Steve
2013-12-27 10:16 AM
in reply to: KOM

Regular
Originally posted by KOM

Is there room for another gray?

Hope there is room. TGIF everyone. One one Christmas cookie for breakfast today. Making progress!

Kathy

You're in Kathy. Welcome. Scott is our forum swimming expert....hopefully you won't mind standing in as our resident Doc?

Best,

Steve
2013-12-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: lutzman

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by lutzman

Hi,

Hi Robin--you're in. Welcome to the forum! Steve

GREAT.

I am currently trying to get my training together for the next few  months.. I have an Olympic plan set up but my foot surgery is not healed as far as I had hoped by now. I can't run.. heck, I can't even walk very well, so I am going to have to be heavy on the bike and swim. Of course getting to my pool is always a challenge. It is 35 minutes away and the hours are odd. Life's challenges. Can I count the Polar Plunge I am going to do on NY day as a training swim?

2013-12-27 10:41 AM
in reply to: woolverstone55

Regular
Originally posted by woolverstone55

I'd love to join the group!

Looking forward to meeting the group.
Cheers.

Welcome Ed. You're in the forum! Start posting!

Steve
2013-12-27 10:44 AM
in reply to: jfodness

Regular
Originally posted by jfodness

I am interested in joining your group. My name is Judd. I've been a recreational cyclist and runner for about 13 years. I'm looking forward to working with an experience mentor to help me reach my goals!

Welcome Judd. You're on the Gray Guy/Girl Forum team.

Steve
2013-12-27 10:50 AM

Regular

Can I count the Polar Plunge I am going to do on NY day as a training swim?

In my book, any polar swim counts DOUBLE!

Steve
2013-12-27 10:58 AM

Regular
Subject: Closing Out the Forum
Hi Gray Guy/Girl Team

We've hit 24 participants in our forum. I was thinking 25 is about the right number, so I'll probably close the forum to any additional new folks later today.

If anyone who is new is having second thoughts, or if you don't feel like you'll be that active, no worries. Just shoot me a personal message and I'll add a couple more new folks so we can try to keep our number around 25.

SPECIAL REQUEST--since we have a lot of new team members, PLEASE add your name at the end of your posts so we can get to know you by name. Also, if you can add an icon or, better still, a picture to your profile we'll see this every you post and it will help us get to know you better.

Happy training over the weekend and holiday. Let us know how it's going. Don't be a lurker!

Best regards,

Steve
2013-12-27 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4915093

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Yay on the double points for Polar Bears! I will be going in Naragansett Bay at noon. Snow angels on the beach is there is any white stuff around. It has to be white though ;-). I am feeling more inspired already!! Since there are 2 Kathy's in the group I am happy to go by KOM. I was at the start of a local race a few hears ago and someone yelled "hey Kathy". I large group of us 40+ AG turned around. Funny how names are cyclical. We determined everyone else lined up was named Susan, Beth or Judi.

2013-12-27 2:20 PM
in reply to: juneapple

Regular
Newport News
Stu
Yes I'm planning to do the Chris Green swim. May do the one mile this year under stand the reverse the directions of the swims each year, I breath on my right and like to cable the cable to that side too. Really got into swimming this year, competed in the Virgina Masters Fall meet in Virginia Beach set the male age group record 65-69 for the 1500m SCM, 29:14.00 (don't think it will stand long). Will be competing in The David Gregg III Memorial Meet in Richmond in February. Its SCY I plan on doing the 1650 Free along with several Free and Brest shorter distances (50-200).

Tsvi
2013-12-27 2:43 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dogpaddle Wow! Thanks Scott, I have added your site to my bookmarks bar! I will be visiting it often. When the pool opens back up I will be so happy to reach for the wall and hopefully feel and focus on the shoulder turn. I'm pretty sure one reason my stroke is so weak is a total disconnect of my core rotation with my stroke. I also think I don't rotate fully (one side worse than the other). I'll focus on brushing the hip and visualize turning that hip with my thumb. I think this could help. I've also noticed my swimming improves when I'm consistently doing core exercises. I'm sort of at a starting over point right now(not completely) but when I hit the pool later next week I'll be swimming 1500 to 2000 yrds 3 times a week and build from there. I usually average 2 mins/100 yds. I stare in awe when I see a swimmer with a powerful stroke. To me that is much "prettier"! Side note: I've also been told that my golf swing is pretty and not surprisingly it doesn't produce any power either! Thanks for your help. townsley

I am in the process of redoing all the 'Swimming Techniques' articles on my website and adding a couple additional articles - 'the catch.' and 'endurance training' to name a couple.  Hope to have that all done in the next week or so.

As to your body rotation and breathing.  It is not at all uncommon for a swimmer to have proper rotation to the normal breathing side and improper rotation to the non-breathing side.  The simplist way to fix this is a) concentrate on even body rotation and, b) learn bi-lateral breathing - breathing to both sides.  That will be a challenge at first but it will pay off in the long run.  Imagine being in an an open water swim in the ocean, you are only able to breath to your right side, and there is a 20 MPH wind and a 3 foot swell coming from the right.  You are going to be drinking a lot of tasty saltwater.  On the other hand, if you are able to breath to both sides, you simply breath on the side opposite the swell and presto, no intake of salt water.

The easiest way to learn bi-lateral breathing is to incorporate it into your workouts.  Maybe breath every third stroke.  If your swim fitness is such that you prefer to breath every stroke, then maybe breath to the left on odd number laps and too the right on even number laps.  Another way to learn quickly is to do your next workout only breathing to your weak side, then alternate breathing after that.

Hope that helps.

2013-12-27 2:57 PM

Veteran
Queens, NY

Hi,

Hi Robin--you're in. Welcome to the forum! Steve

GREAT.

I am currently trying to get my training together for the next few  months.. I have an Olympic plan set up but my foot surgery is not healed as far as I had hoped by now. I can't run.. heck, I can't even walk very well, so I am going to have to be heavy on the bike and swim. Of course getting to my pool is always a challenge. It is 35 minutes away and the hours are odd. Life's challenges. Can I count the Polar Plunge I am going to do on NY day as a training swim?

Hey Robin - I am thinking of doing the plunge with a few friends in NY also- have you done it before? I was gung-ho until the chilly run I had last night- now I'm not so sure!!
2013-12-27 7:24 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by JREDFLY I hope everyone is having a great day! I think it is unanimous that Scott was running away with our last contest and will be awarded the coveted Black Dog Mug - with bragging rights! Scott PM me your address. To give the new people an idea on how our contest works I will attach the last results I have due to the last thread disappearing (the names have been changed to protect the innocent). Stu can be thanked for creating this thoghtful matrix where it not only rewards the people that have quite a bit of weight to lose but gives points for not gaining weight and strong incentives for time working out. This is how it works: Gain 5 points for no weight gain. Gain 10 points for every pound loss and lose 10 points for every pound gained Gain 1 point for every 30 minutes working out (swim, bike, run or weight training) I will let the boss-man set the dates for the contest but we usually weigh-in and report on Sundays or Mondays at the latest and I try to post the weekly results by Tuesday night. It keeps everyone engaged and gets the competive juices going. For you new people, I was in your sneakers last year, please do not hesitate to ask questions the experienced people on this thread are thoughtful and a great resource. Happy holidays everyone. James

Are you only counting S/B/R workouts or any logged workout in this?  Just want to be fair since some of us do a lot of non S/B/R stuff too.

2013-12-27 9:20 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by QueenZipp

James

Are you only counting S/B/R workouts or any logged workout in this?  Just want to be fair since some of us do a lot of non S/B/R stuff too.

Again I would defer to the bossman but this question has come up before. This is the honor system here so like lifting weights or doing crossfit to better your conditioning for triathlons, yes they would count. Stacking wood or shoveling snow, although they are good workouts would not count because they are consideered more of a house chore. I kayak, golf, play pickup basketball and ski which are all a workout but I do not count them in my weekly totals. Bottom line is, let your conscience be your guide after all it is just a mug (although Stu might argue that poiint). The main thing is to stay engaged with your training and have fun. If we accomplish those two things we are all winners in my book. James

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-12-27 9:28 PM

2013-12-27 9:36 PM

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

James

Again I would defer to the bossman but this question has come up before. This is the honor system here so like lifting weights or doing crossfit to better your conditioning for triathlons, yes they would count. Stacking wood or shoveling snow, although they are good workouts would not count because they are consideered more of a house chore. I kayak, golf, play pickup basketball and ski which are all a workout but I do not count them in my weekly totals. Bottom line is, let your conscience be your guide after all it is just a mug (although Stu might argue that poiint). The main thing is to stay engaged with your training and have fun. If we accomplish those two things we are all winners in my book. James

You got it ! It's the honor system, but I would define "workout" as something specifically related to getting you in shape for Triathlon. Shoveling snow is tough, but really isn't about conditioning for our sport. Ditto golf, pick up B-ball, etc. Strength training...yes! Use your own judgement gang. It's not like there is a cash prize for winning.

Steve

2013-12-27 9:50 PM

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by JREDFLY

James

It is not just a mug.... it is the one and only (said in radio voice) Coveted Black Dog Mug of Martha's Vineyard with Bragging Rights.

Stu

P.S. Congrats Tsvi on your record-breaking performance! Judi, Chris Greene swim is in July. Look forward to seeing you both there and thanks for reminding me about the direction issue...

Welcome to all the new folks - lots of energy!
2013-12-27 10:25 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Stu
Yes I'm planning to do the Chris Green swim. May do the one mile this year under stand the reverse the directions of the swims each year, I breath on my right and like to cable the cable to that side too. Really got into swimming this year, competed in the Virgina Masters Fall meet in Virginia Beach set the male age group record 65-69 for the 1500m SCM, 29:14.00 (don't think it will stand long). Will be competing in The David Gregg III Memorial Meet in Richmond in February. Its SCY I plan on doing the 1650 Free along with several Free and Brest shorter distances (50-200).

Tsvi

Welcome back Tsvi - I would also like to offer Congrats on the AG record - that is awesome!
2013-12-27 11:10 PM

New user
Hingham, MA

Use your own judgement gang. It's not like there is a cash prize for winning.

Steve

WHAT - No new car like we did last year?

James
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18703 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.