BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-01-09 2:02 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Hit the trainer for an hour this morning and then will do a short run this afternoon. Finally got my torque wrench ordered and am ready to install my new saddle. Doh...it doesn't fit the type of rails I have. Dang...back to square 1. Now I need to find a new saddle asap, as just two rides on the trainer this week have solidified the idea that I cannot continue on the current one!

I'd like to do one of those saddle fittings, where they measure your ischial tuberosities (sorry...I'm a bone person, I cannot call them "sit bones") and then fit you to a saddle of the appropriate width, but I have no idea what that is called or where one goes to do that. Anyone know? I live in the sticks, but I'd be happy to drive a few hours to make my butt (and other parts) feel better for the many, many hours I'll be training this season.

2020-01-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by rmschwartz418 NAME: rmschwartz518/ Rob Strava https://www.strava.com/athletes/10459503LOCATION: Bay Area, CA STORY: I was planning on doing a triathlon for almost 10 years. Finally, about 5 years ago, I suffered through my first sprint. While the suffering was real, so was the enjoyment and is now a key part to my wellness - mentally, physically, socially, and emotionally. Truth is, I was inspired by my 8 year old daughter when she completed her first tri - story here on BT - https://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2727Since then, I've completed numerous sprints and olympics and 3 70.3 races. I'm also serving as a mentor in another group for the first time and want to see how the magic happens with a real happening group. FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with two amazing kids (boy/girl twins) who keep me active and engaged and inspire me to be better everyday. CURRENT TRAINING: I'm a morning person and my training reflects that. I currently train 6-9 hours a week with a rest day every other week. I'm up at 5:30, training by 6 and off to work by 8. Sometimes I double with a night time session. I blend a masters swim program, with a Zwift workout plan, and running on my own, along with strength work once or twice a week. THIS YEAR'S RACES: My last race was a 72.3 in Oregon called Beastman last July. The course was intentionally 2 miles longer on the bike. UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I'm currently training for Oceanside 70.3 and toying with the idea of an Ironman in the fall. I'll throw in a couple of Olympics throughout the summer and probably some OW US Masters swims and perhaps a running race or two. FAVORITE BEER: Calicraft CoolKidz, Pliny, Boont Amber - depends on my mood. Oh- and I brew.

You home brew???  You are in the right mentor group!

Welcome.  Glad you know how to mentor, because that's how it works around here - we all give and receive based on our successes and failures.  Saw you over on Strava, too.  You do any racing on Zwift?  I did a little bit a couple of years ago but haven't since and was thinking about it to prep for outdoor racing season.

2020-01-09 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hit the trainer for an hour this morning and then will do a short run this afternoon. Finally got my torque wrench ordered and am ready to install my new saddle. Doh...it doesn't fit the type of rails I have. Dang...back to square 1. Now I need to find a new saddle asap, as just two rides on the trainer this week have solidified the idea that I cannot continue on the current one! I'd like to do one of those saddle fittings, where they measure your ischial tuberosities (sorry...I'm a bone person, I cannot call them "sit bones") and then fit you to a saddle of the appropriate width, but I have no idea what that is called or where one goes to do that. Anyone know? I live in the sticks, but I'd be happy to drive a few hours to make my butt (and other parts) feel better for the many, many hours I'll be training this season.

I'm not sure I want to know how they do that. 

So your seat post clamps and saddle aren't compatible?  That sucks and I've never heard of that.  I've tried like five different saddles on four different bikes and they were all interchangeable.  My current Thompson seat post is REALLY configurable so it's pretty sensitive/tough to work with but through trial and error I've made it work (and safe).

2020-01-09 2:43 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

I ride on Zwift including some of the structured workouts, but haven't tried a race yet. I keep thinking about it - but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

First lesson I've learned about mentor groups - pick a name that grabs people.
2020-01-09 4:32 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Went to boot camp this morning (that's where I get my strength training). I did not do yoga yesterday, so need to get it in today, although I have my first day of my new axe throwing league (you read that right ) so hopefully I can squeeze it in! I really need to get a mat for my office. Ordering that right now...

Alcohol + throwing sharp, potentially deadly objects.  What could possibly go wrong???  

Haha they actually do a really good job of keeping things safe! I've done it a bunch and it's SO FUN. Last night was great, and everyone is really nice and helpful. Although you definitely end up standing around a lot. If I wasn't doing dry January I may have found myself a bit tipsy out of boredom!

Gretchen, you may get something like this soon! They are popping up everywhere!
2020-01-09 4:33 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

I'd love to try that but with optional pictures of certain politicians on the bullseye: is that allowed????

Started my arms workout today as finally feeling better. Back to work tomorrow so let's see if i can lift my coffee in the morning! My adviser is a world's strongest man contestant (he qualified for wsm england!) so i am keeping my actual weights hidden from him but following his instructions....eek!

I am pretty sure most people would not object to that! I certainly wouldn't!

2020-01-09 4:34 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Originally posted by Moonrocket I went running for the first time in forever today. It was painful. It pretty much sucked - but I feel so much better for having done it! It was only 3x jog 4min run 1min. But after the flu and my husband still hacking up a lung I figured I'd just start small. So, how do you stretch after jogging- I find my back gets a little sore. I hit the stationary bike for a bit yesterday. My daughter decided to do her homework in my basement gym area while I got my workout which was nice.

Congrats on the workout! I don't run so can't help you there but wow @ Provence btw - stunning! My sister lived in Dordogne for thirteen years, and I am a Francophile.

That was rollergirl who lived in Provence- I've lived in Dublin, Ireland but never France!

I have a question for the crew- I made a custom plan on BT that has 2 swims a week, 2 bikes a week and 2 runs a week. Is it cool to follow it but do 3 runs, 2 bikes and 1 swim? Having swam in college- I can usually pick that up pretty quick and running is my weak point. Also just from a crazy busy life perspective going to the pool takes a lot of time- and our current household schedule makes it really hard. Then say 3 months out from the race start swimming twice a week? I did a HIM relay last summer having swam maybe 8 times that year. And while not fast was still under 40 minutes vs 30 the year I did it and trained- so I feel like I have a lot more to gain on the run and bike than the swim.

Do what works for you! If you are more likely to get in 3 runs than 2 swims, do it. At least that's my opinion. I find the more complicated my training plan is, the less likely I am to stick to it at all.
2020-01-09 4:35 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I never knew axe throwing was a thing...
Nicole, you do a lot of fun things besides Tri

I like to keep busy!
2020-01-09 4:39 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome, Rob!

I skipped my workout this morning b/c I was at my axe throwing late last night. Wasn't going to get a workout in (heading up to PA for the PA Farm Show tomorrow!) but think I'm leaving a little later now so might try to get a run or swim in before.

Also haven't done yoga in the last 3 days, but gonna aim to get some in tonight. Oh and my new mat just arrived for my office, so next week, it's on! Lunchtime yoga every day (or at least most)!
2020-01-09 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hit the trainer for an hour this morning and then will do a short run this afternoon. Finally got my torque wrench ordered and am ready to install my new saddle. Doh...it doesn't fit the type of rails I have. Dang...back to square 1. Now I need to find a new saddle asap, as just two rides on the trainer this week have solidified the idea that I cannot continue on the current one!

I'd like to do one of those saddle fittings, where they measure your ischial tuberosities (sorry...I'm a bone person, I cannot call them "sit bones") and then fit you to a saddle of the appropriate width, but I have no idea what that is called or where one goes to do that. Anyone know? I live in the sticks, but I'd be happy to drive a few hours to make my butt (and other parts) feel better for the many, many hours I'll be training this season.

My bike shop has the Specialized memory foam measuring device. All I did was sit on it- I bought a saddle from them so they didn't charge anything for the measure- granted this was for my mountain bike. I needed a much wider saddle than I was using. It was very nice to no longer have to visit my dermatologist to deal with skin issues from a poor fit saddle. Maybe call around to specialized dealers to see if they have the memory foam thing you can sit on- they seem to have cornered that market. There's a picture of it at the bottom of this article https://funfitnessafter50.com/i-never-thought-id-buy-a-high-tech-bic...

It's really low tech. I think you could do it yourself with anything that leaves an impression- here is a thread on how people did it that look about as legit as the memory foam device in practical application. https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/9815/is-it-possible-to-...
2020-01-09 6:30 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by nicole14e
I skipped my workout this morning b/c I was at my axe throwing late last night.

Sure :-) This reminds me of some the reasons I got for kids missing quizzes when I was a TA.

Although the Ax throwing sounds like a blast! Do you actually have it spiral away from you like in the video?

I got a short stationary bike ride in today. Kind of crazy day - and I had hoped to ride 30 minutes but was going to be late so figured 25 was better than zero!

Welcome to the group Rob!

2020-01-10 12:50 PM
in reply to: #5265454

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks for those links, Kate! Certainly going to give the home methods a shot!

Medium run today, followed immediately by a thrashing session in the pool. My last swim was my last race, as evidenced by the fact my goggles are in my tri bag at home (ugh). Anyway, I’m going back to masters on Monday, so I kinda thought I should make sure I still knew the mechanics. I didn’t drown. I call it a success.

Mike—I don’t know how you do a session and then hop in the pool all the time! I was so worried I was going to cramp up! Our pool is kept at NCAA regulation (which I think is 68-72F—something the old ladies are always complaining about!!)
2020-01-10 4:12 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Yay! for sensibly temperatured pools! If you're cold go faster! 

First bike ride of the year tomorrow (signed up for a 25 mile charity ride mid March) and then arms workout as per my wsm masochist 'friend' after! 

2020-01-11 8:46 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Yay! for sensibly temperatured pools! If you're cold go faster! 

First bike ride of the year tomorrow (signed up for a 25 mile charity ride mid March) and then arms workout as per my wsm masochist 'friend' after! 

Ride done, convinced there was a head wind the whole way! And arms done. Ale later

2020-01-11 2:03 PM
in reply to: #5265591

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
LONG Saturday here. 90’ on the trainer, followed by some panic straightening of the house, then meeting with contractor. Next was short run and strength training. Then back home to move all the furniture out of our sitting room so the contractor can start redrywalling on Monday. Where does one put all of the furniture from one room in a completely furnished house?!? We are finding out!!
2020-01-12 12:45 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
7am on Sunday and I’m up for my masters swimming groupI know a lot of triathletes train in the morning but I am not one of those. This is very out of character for me. But I want to swim with this group, so.....
I might fall asleep and drown so if I don’t come back, it was nice knowing you...

2020-01-12 8:15 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in a really hard spin class yesterday morning before going to that debacle of a Ravens game last night.  My entire body hurts from all of the walking, stair climbing, and shouting.  

2020-01-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: #5265630

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Oh Mike. You spent money to watch that atrocity?!? I’m soooo sorry. That was a pitiful showing by the Ravens.

Long run for me today. I found the sweet spot where it had finally stopped raining and the temperature was above freezing. It makes for a nice change to run outside after a couple of days at the indoor track due to pouring down rain.
2020-01-12 2:50 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
So how did we all do on those weekly goals?

Mine were to hit 6 workouts and eat clean(ish)

6 workouts were hit (3 swims, 1 run, 1 ride, 1 strength)
Eating clean worked well Monday to Thursday, not so good at the weekend but OK.

Next week, same goals for me (2 swims, 2 rides, 1 run, 1 strength)
2020-01-12 3:24 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Goals for this week are

1. Start riding again

2. Stay off the pop until the w/e

3. Start either this: Karen Hauer - YouTube or some dumbbell exercises. 

Yes, managed a ride, no beer until Friday, two lots of dumbbell workouts, and I managed a teeny tiny bit of the Karen Hauer workout (she's a pro dancer on our equivalent of Dancing with the Stars but I am super unfit and was still not a 100%). 

Unsure of this week's goals yet so will get back to you all on that!

Btw who do I need to support in the NFL now?

2020-01-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Goals for the week:
- plan out my training to my first race.
- get back into regular training.
- get back to eating reasonably healthy (Its been hard with my wife's birthday, Christmas, travel, New Year's, my mother in law's birthday, and my birthday all in a row)

Did ok on my goals;
Planning is easy I'm following a Oly distance plan I've done before, but I've got more than half of it written out in my calendar, so now its official, starting tomorrow.
Didn't quite get back into "regular" but I did do 2 runs, 2 bikes and one swim if you count the 300 yards I did around the springs this morning after a nice 5 mi. trail run with my wife.
Eating wasn't awesome, but it was better than it has been. I'm going to meal prep tonight so this week should be good.

Goals for this week:
-Finish putting my training on the calendar.
-Hit 80%+ of my workouts for this week.
-meal prep and eat good.

Edited by riles32807 2020-01-12 3:46 PM

2020-01-12 4:41 PM
in reply to: riles32807

Hit two sets of goals this weekend:

1. Did all 3 of my workouts - long bike, long run, and swim
2. Bottled a batch of Sculpin clone and brewed a new batch of a hopped-up Amber.

Rest day tomorrow - the first in 14 days.
2020-01-12 5:27 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Goals for the week (Jan 7,2020):
1.) meal plan and grocery shop—done!
2.) hit every workout coach plans this week-done!
3.) get back on the grain free train (so far, so good)-done!

Goals for Jan 13
1.) hit all workouts coach plans
2.) swim 2x
3.) grain free all week, even date night

Sounds pretty much like last week.
2020-01-12 7:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thought you had got rid of me didn't you?
Back from my summer break, and back infront of a computer so I thought I'd track you down.

NAME: Andrew / Bullfrog

EXPERIENCE: I have been participating in endurance sports for about 10 years. Initially running to help lose some weight, then into Half Marathons before finding my way to Tris. I've completed multiple HM's, 12 sprint tris, 1 oly tri, 3 70.3's and 1 Ironman, 3 years ago. I've always lacked long term consistency, and my results/weight/and fitness all reflect that. My grand plan is to fix that consistency issue and make some real improvements to my fitness and health over the next few years.

FAMILY: Married with a 2 year old son, and a spoiled dog/running partner.

TRAINING: Currently 8 weeks away from Ironman NZ. Feel terrified and under prepared. But when I look at my training over the last 6 months compared to what I did prior to my previous Ironman, I am well ahead. I'm following a training plan from the 80:20 Trialthon book, so just need to trust that I guess.

RACING: Ironman NZ on March 7. Also have some HM's over the summer with a friend. Mrs Bullfrog said no Ironman next year, so either running, or 1 or 2 70.3's will be the focus after March.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: I've been lurking around BDAS for a few years now. I'm not the most prolific poster, but I do appriecate the feedback and accountability you can get here. Also I don't have any friends or family in real life that are into Tri's, so it's nice to be able to chat with people who share the interest/obsession.

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Mac's Hop Rocker Pilsner is whats in my fridge at the moment. But like to experiment with what ever is on tap when out and about. Typically pilsner or pale ale.

2020-01-12 7:54 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
It's nice to see lots of old faces, and some new ones for another go around...

Gretchen Congrats on entering the full distance, Exciting. August is a long time out, when are you going to start focusing your training on it?

Me I've just finished 2 very solid weeks training, So reasonably happy with how things are going.
wk 1: 3 bikes: 5 hr 15, 4 runs: 3 hr 45 just under 9 hrs total
wk 2: 1 swim: half hour, 4 bikes (1 was a short commute so barely counts): 6 hr 15, 3 runs: 3 hr 50. 10 and a half hrs total.

This week is a cutback week in the plan my goals for the week:
Goal 1: Swim 3 times
Goal 2: 7 hours plus for the week total
Goal 3: Get the TT bike out of storage, clean, service etc. for first ride in 2 years the following week.

Have a good week everyone.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 7237 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123