BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-02-14 3:11 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nathalie, nice solid week. Good job!

Yes, a good week, Fit Nat won that one.

I have 2 photos of me on my phone: one taken 5 years ago at my last race before I lost a bit of weight (Fat Nat) and one taken the following year, which is my profile picture here (Fit Nat). It's an ongoing battle betwenn those 2. Fat Nat was leading, due to sickness over the winter but Fit Nat took a long awaited victory this week.

Thanks for the report , good idea to treat this as a training run. More fun than an actual long training run on your own.

2022-02-14 3:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Nathalie, nice solid week. Good job!

Yes, a good week, Fit Nat won that one.

I have 2 photos of me on my phone: one taken 5 years ago at my last race before I lost a bit of weight (Fat Nat) and one taken the following year, which is my profile picture here (Fit Nat). It's an ongoing battle betwenn those 2. Fat Nat was leading, due to sickness over the winter but Fit Nat took a long awaited victory this week.

Thanks for the report , good idea to treat this as a training run. More fun than an actual long training run on your own.
2022-02-14 8:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all! Sounds like lots of good training is happening!

Nathalie, sorry to hear you've been sick again, but glad Fit Nat was able to take over last week.

Andrew, nice job on the run! Stinks there wasn't much to do before or after but glad you were able to get it in and did as you thought you would.

Nicole, nice work on the training and working on breathing during the swim. Definitely can be a tricky skill to get the hang of.

Mike, glad you had fun at the concert!

Jenn, a 3 week vacation sounds pretty wonderful! Take advantage for sure.

Edited by nicole14e 2022-02-14 8:51 AM
2022-02-14 8:53 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
So getting back into my routine has been pretty good. I did a PZ endurance ride Wednesday afternoon and another Thursday morning. Took Friday easy b/c I wanted to do my FTE test Saturday morning. Didn't feel great on my warm up, but decided to do it anyway. I think I went out too hard and then totally died at the end. Still went up 5 points, but I thought it would be more after how much work I put in these last few months. Being away for a week probably didn't help.

Played in an indoor 4s vball tournament Saturday afternoon. My team lost but had some good games and it felt so good to be back on the court.

Going to get a ride in this afternoon/evening.
2022-02-15 9:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ended up doing a 30 minute Eminem ride last night to make up for only getting one song from him at the super bowl halftime show. SO GOOD. If I could have that music for every FTP I would be one very happy lady.
2022-02-15 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole:  LOL Eminem ride...I have my own Spotify mixes that I do certain workouts to, including the FTP tests. 

2022-02-16 7:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole:  LOL Eminem ride...I have my own Spotify mixes that I do certain workouts to, including the FTP tests. 

I'm gonna need to do that next time!
2022-02-16 7:54 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did 10 quick strength minutes yesterday, and 45 minute Eminem bike boot camp this morning. That boot camp HURT! I'm also still sore from my volleyball tournament this past weekend (I think that means I'm officially old), so that didn't help.

The weather is looking up here so hoping to get back out on some runs this week/weekend. Also gonna be in North Carolina this weekend so that will help
2022-02-16 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good week so far with solid workouts all three days and some additional strength training.  I also pulled the trigger on a couple of criteriums (for the 3rd straight year...); let's hope they happen but I think we're good.

@NicoleE - old...HA!  Wait until you're 52, sister! 

@Nathalie:  go Fit Nat!!!

@Andrew:  that's a lot of half marathons...that would have run me into the ground even 10-12 years ago

@Jenn:  enjoy your vacation - well deserved for all the crazy traveling you do in your job

@NicoleJ:  I also really struggle with the one goggle breathing thing; I damn near pull my whole head out of the water breathing, even after 12 years of swimming

2022-02-16 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

@Andrew:  that's a lot of half marathons...that would have run me into the ground even 10-12 years ago

It will likely run me into the ground too. It wasn't planned this way, pre covid cancellations the races were supposed to be from September - April. Not February - April.... But I've ranted about covid enough recently.
2022-02-17 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 @Andrew:  that's a lot of half marathons...that would have run me into the ground even 10-12 years ago
It will likely run me into the ground too. It wasn't planned this way, pre covid cancellations the races were supposed to be from September - April. Not February - April.... But I've ranted about covid enough recently.

Hey,  rant away.  No worries.  We still have a mask mandate in Baltimore City, (where NicoleE lives) but not in Baltimore County (where I live).  Somehow that 10 miles makes a difference in epidemiology. 

Anyway...this morning was a feeble attempt at over-unders on the trainer...let's call them more like "at or maybe a tiny bit over"-"definitely unders".  Still came close to total stress goals so worth putting forth the effort.  I have such a hard time nailing those 5:45 AM rides - I'm much better mid-morning.  My back is killing me today (along with most of my joints).  I can tell the weather (we have heavy rain coming tonight) now with my pain levels. 

2022-02-17 7:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 @Andrew:  that's a lot of half marathons...that would have run me into the ground even 10-12 years ago

Hey,  rant away.  No worries.  We still have a mask mandate in Baltimore City, (where NicoleE lives) but not in Baltimore County (where I live).  Somehow that 10 miles makes a difference in epidemiology. 

Anyway...this morning was a feeble attempt at over-unders on the trainer...let's call them more like "at or maybe a tiny bit over"-"definitely unders".  Still came close to total stress goals so worth putting forth the effort.  I have such a hard time nailing those 5:45 AM rides - I'm much better mid-morning.  My back is killing me today (along with most of my joints).  I can tell the weather (we have heavy rain coming tonight) now with my pain levels. 

Mask Mandate,
Vaccine Mandate,
Family's in forced isolation for over 40 days
100 person max for any venue/event (café, bar, wedding, marathon or stadium all treated the same)
Can leave the country but cant get back in,
No non NZ citizens allowed in till October at best (remembering pre covid tourism was NZ's biggest industry)
No rapid antigen tests in the country (only way to be tested is by the health department PCR test)
Government took the limited RAT tests in NZ off private industry to redistribute themselves.
The PCR testing system is collapsing, mostly negative tests but taking up to a week to get results now.
And a government still clinging to the fantasy that these rules will somehow make the virus go away...

/Rant

No running so far this week. A couple of days off post HM, then Mrs Bullfrog away for work. Not a good plan to leave the 1 and 4 year old asleep alone to have a pre work run.

4 zwift rides (1 recovery, 1 Z2, 1 FTP, 1 sweet spot) and a couple of stretching/foam rolling sessions so far.

This weekend I'll do a couple of runs, and we're building/assembling a pergola for the deck which will be nice, its been a while since I've built something for the house.

Have a good weekend guys.
2022-02-21 3:27 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello all

How’s the weekend been?

Still struggling with my vertigo but Fit Nat won this week nonetheless (Fat Nat won on Friday but Fit Nat all the other days)

3 Zwift rides 3h30
2 runs (intervals and longer slower) 2h
0 swims (too tired from my vertigo to get up at 7am on a Sunday. Replaced with a ride)

Have a good week all!
2022-02-21 8:06 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Hello all How’s the weekend been? Still struggling with my vertigo but Fit Nat won this week nonetheless (Fat Nat won on Friday but Fit Nat all the other days) 3 Zwift rides 3h30 2 runs (intervals and longer slower) 2h 0 swims (too tired from my vertigo to get up at 7am on a Sunday. Replaced with a ride) Have a good week all!

That's great you're still getting some good training despite vertigo .  I had an episode of that about 30 (!!!) years ago and it went away eventually so I hope it continues to get better.  I can't imaging swimming with it.

I had a great week overall last week, 3 swims (5K yards total, most in over a year), 3 rides and a couple of short treadmill "runs" while still maintaining my strength and core regimen.  I overcooked my target TSS for the week by almost 100 (oops).  I did a two-hour ride on Saturday finally conquering the Achterbahn route on Zwift (30 miles, 3K+ feet of climbing).  Recovery week this week and we start our drive south on Saturday.

Hope everyone had a great weekend - it was weird without American football so I got a little caught up on EPL action.  I don't have any skin in the game so it's great just to watch the skill of those players. 

2022-02-21 3:27 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great week Mike!

2022-02-23 1:47 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeah! Finally managed to train with the running group I joined at the beginning of the year! Very nice bunch of people, all much faster than me except one who is slower and the stupid thing is that I stayed with her instead of pushing myself. Still, as I am still a bit dizzy, maybe it’s not a bad idea not to go all out on my first proper intervals training in a long time.

The workout was run 1 minute, rest 30 seconds for 4k (for me and my new slow friend, the rest did 5 or 6k in the same time.)

In the end the 4k was ran in 17 minutes, that’s an average of just over 4min/km which is pretty fast for me!

Wondering if I shouldn’t do that in a sprint tri. Sounds faster than plodding along at 5:30/km for the whole 5k….

2022-02-23 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Yeah! Finally managed to train with the running group I joined at the beginning of the year! Very nice bunch of people, all much faster than me except one who is slower and the stupid thing is that I stayed with her instead of pushing myself. Still, as I am still a bit dizzy, maybe it’s not a bad idea not to go all out on my first proper intervals training in a long time. The workout was run 1 minute, rest 30 seconds for 4k (for me and my new slow friend, the rest did 5 or 6k in the same time.) In the end the 4k was ran in 17 minutes, that’s an average of just over 4min/km which is pretty fast for me! Wondering if I shouldn’t do that in a sprint tri. Sounds faster than plodding along at 5:30/km for the whole 5k….

OK, so basically a 21:30 5K pace?  That's like my PR.  Yeah, I'd try that in a sprint. 

2022-02-23 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Yeah! Finally managed to train with the running group I joined at the beginning of the year! Very nice bunch of people, all much faster than me except one who is slower and the stupid thing is that I stayed with her instead of pushing myself. Still, as I am still a bit dizzy, maybe it’s not a bad idea not to go all out on my first proper intervals training in a long time.

The workout was run 1 minute, rest 30 seconds for 4k (for me and my new slow friend, the rest did 5 or 6k in the same time.)

In the end the 4k was ran in 17 minutes, that’s an average of just over 4min/km which is pretty fast for me!

Wondering if I shouldn’t do that in a sprint tri. Sounds faster than plodding along at 5:30/km for the whole 5k….

4 minute km's and you're calling yourself slow?

Look at little miss speedy over here. Yes, if you can run/walk 90 sec/km faster than a straight run then you should absolutely do that in your sprint tri.
2022-02-24 12:35 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I made a mistake in my calculations yesterday, i ran 18 times 1min (I didn’t reset my watch after the last 1 min so forgot to count the last one.

So it’s 4k in 18 minutes, which is 4:30 per km , still a minute faster than my 5:30 at the moment (5:15 average being my best ever in a 5k).

But doooh! We are forgetting the 30sec rest in between the runs! That adds 8:30 minutes to the equation! Wouldn’t be faster in a race!

Still, a good workout, fun to train with people, even if they were far ahead!
2022-02-24 1:02 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, did you hear the mask mandate is being lifted in Bmore as of 3/1? Pretty excited for that. Was in one all weekend at an axe throwing tournament (granted, it was in NC), but am pretty over the masks.

Andrew, I am SO sorry to hear about all those restrictions. Until October! That is just crazy! What's tough is unless it's eradicated completely, whenever you open up again it's likely to rampage through since you probably aren't anywhere near herd immunity. Unless they make a vaccine specific for all the current variants. Ugh so sorry.

Fit Nat - WAY TO GO! OMG I had vertigo once for about a week and it was driving me nuts. I had this version (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vertigo/symptoms-causes/syc-20370055), and if that's also what you have, there is a thing you can do to fix it. I watched a youtube video and did it a time or two and it worked immediately. Came back shortly after but did the technique again and haven't had issues since. If that's what you have, let me know and I can find the video I watched!
But way to not let it hold you back too much!
Also, sprint tris are pretty awesome.

2022-02-24 1:03 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Was away this weekend and did zero training b/c we didn't have much room in the car so I didn't pack any workout stuff.

Got in a 30 minute ride yesterday morning. Need to run badly. Planning a ride for this evening, or maybe some strength and then a ride tomorrow. Also going to try to make masters on Saturday (Mike? Interested?)

2022-02-24 1:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Andrew, I am SO sorry to hear about all those restrictions. Until October! That is just crazy! What's tough is unless it's eradicated completely, whenever you open up again it's likely to rampage through since you probably aren't anywhere near herd immunity. Unless they make a vaccine specific for all the current variants. Ugh so sorry.

Yup... The problem is our government still seem to exist in a world where the covid is going to go away. That was justified back in 2020, but that ship has long since sailed. Like the rest of the world we have to learn to live with it and get on with life. Although those are the rules/plans as they stand today, I don't think it will happen to schedule. Dear leader is going to be forced to accept reality long before October.

And, unfortunately the Omicron is rampaging through us currently. Over 6,000 cases yesterday (2 weeks ago our highest ever daily total was around 200) Still at least with the Omicron not the OG covid it's a lot less dangerous, and 95% of the country is double vaxed, which may or may not help depending on which conspiracy theory you read

This weekends HM is going ahead (so that's a positive), but a covid forced lack of volunteers mean we're doing 2 laps of the 10k course, rather than the usual one. Lots more climbing this way. And my running mate has decided that the covid risk is too great. (His partner is due to have their first kid in 4 or 5 weeks, they understandably don't want him to test positive and not be allowed into the hospital. So probably the right decision)

Have a good weekend guys.
2022-02-24 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Yup... The problem is our government still seem to exist in a world where the covid is going to go away. That was justified back in 2020, but that ship has long since sailed. Like the rest of the world we have to learn to live with it and get on with life. Although those are the rules/plans as they stand today, I don't think it will happen to schedule. Dear leader is going to be forced to accept reality long before October. And, unfortunately the Omicron is rampaging through us currently. Over 6,000 cases yesterday (2 weeks ago our highest ever daily total was around 200) Still at least with the Omicron not the OG covid it's a lot less dangerous, and 95% of the country is double vaxed, which may or may not help depending on which conspiracy theory you read .

I get all my news from Facebook, and I read there that... 

Anyway, I hope your leaders get their heads on straight.  There are still some areas here that are addicted to the protocols and stubbornly stick to the mandates, etc. 

2022-02-24 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Was away this weekend and did zero training b/c we didn't have much room in the car so I didn't pack any workout stuff. Got in a 30 minute ride yesterday morning. Need to run badly. Planning a ride for this evening, or maybe some strength and then a ride tomorrow. Also going to try to make masters on Saturday (Mike? Interested?)

I'm heading south for six weeks, leaving on Saturday. 

I've had some really good training lately in the pool and should be able to keep it up at our resort complexes as they have lap pools, so when I get back in April I do plan on finally swimming with people.

2022-02-24 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

There are still some areas here that are addicted to the protocols and stubbornly stick to the mandates, etc. 

Isn't it amazing how every politician claims to be 'following the science' yet the science is totally different from country to country, or even city to city for you guys...

It's almost like some of these decisions are political... but that would be a nutty conspiracy theory.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43