General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-05-24 9:18 AM
in reply to: #814921

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Do you just have "it" or not?
amiine - 2007-05-24 9:01 AM

sebjamesm - 2007-05-24 8:42 AM Despite what mommy and daddy told you, not all of us are going to be the best at whatever we try, as long as we put in the hard work. Yes, time and work can give us lots of improvements, but not everyone is Lance Armstrong, Steve Prefontaine, or Michael Phelps. Genetics play a big role, but it's no doubt they have incredible work ethics too. More training doesn't always equal better results. I think if you put most of the BT people here and started training them 15-20 hours a week, a lot would end up injured, sick, burnt out or divorced. More isn't always more.

Do you think they can't do it physically or they can't because they have other life priorities?

Probably some can't do it physicially because of where they are starting from. I don't think you can throw a 35 year old woman who is 190 pounds and finishes a 5K in 45 minutes and expect her with the right amount of training time, get her to a low 7 min/mile pace. I just don't think that's realistic.
To get to a certain level of athletic achievement, you need to start young--that's pretty universal in all sports.
Even if we're not talking about elite athletes, I just don't believe that everyone has a top 10% AG finish in them. Of course you never know who will toe the line next to you, so by some fluke, maybe all could break the top 10%. It's more useful to finish times.

2007-05-24 9:22 AM
in reply to: #814012

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Great discussion everyone, good to see a "debate" and not an "argument" .....
2007-05-24 9:23 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Once again, no one is denying that hard work is what is needed to reach your potential. In my thoughts, however, the limit of that potential is what "it" is. In Rick's case, for example, he worked hard and smart in his BQ marathon, but why didn't he run a 2:30 instead of a 3:12. I'll wager I can find someone who did run a 2:30 on less training than he, and I know for a fact there are guys out there training just as hard and smart to break four hours.

I think it's human nature (and disingenuous at best) to think that those faster ("better" than us are there via genetics, and those slower just don't work as hard. Just as Rick, given his gifted perspective, feels that every man can run a low 6m/m pace, I'm sure there are those who feel that sub4:30m/m is possible for everyone.

Still looking for that objective evidence.

Edited by the bear 2007-05-24 9:39 AM
2007-05-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #814947

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 9:17 AM

Anyone can qualify for Boston, but they need to put in the training.  I don't think there's a person out there who can't physically accomplish that, barring physical disabilities.

I've been around enough people who have been training long, hard, and smart toward that goal to know that this isn't so. Again, if you have objective eidence to suport that statement, I'd love to see it.

Edited by the bear 2007-05-24 9:26 AM
2007-05-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: #814974

User image

Runner
the bear - 2007-05-24 10:25 AM

Anyone can qualify for Boston, but they need to put in the training. I don't think there's a person out there who can't physically accomplish that, barring physical disabilities.

I've been around enough people who have been training long, hard, and smart toward that goal to know that this isn't so. Again, if you have objective eidence to suport that statement, I'd love to see it.

Long, hard, and smart by who's standards?  Maybe their training isn't smart for them.  Maybe they need to train more, or in a different fashion. 

2007-05-24 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

I think "it" is a package that includes not just genetics/natural ability, but also the mind set to train at the required levels (which is more than most of us), a competitve spirit, and the guts to overcome the pain. Don't discount the guts.

Consider Lance's training habits. While most cyclists were taking their winter hiatus, he was already putting 6-8 hrs on the road. Read The Miracle Mile about the quest to break the 4 min mile. These guys trained more, harder, faster than their competitors. When they raced, they were in agony. Most of us (me included) would probably ease up or stop at that level of pain. They keep going. They push harder.

Obviously, we can't control the genetics/natural ability part of the package. So, that part of "it' shouldn't even be a part of our training and racing vocabulary. Why worry about what you can't control?

The other parts, however, are completely within in our control.

We allocate our training time based on our own family, work, life priorities. If achieving certain levels in our sport become important enough to us, then we'll shift our priorities and put in the time required. That we might not, because we do have these other priorities, doesn't mean we can't. It just means we've made a different decision. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

If we mentally decide that we're not going to be competitive then we probably won't be because we probably won't try and catch that guy in front of us. There's nothing wrong with that, either. The physical and mental benefits of doing our sport far outweigh "winning" or achieving age group greatness. On the other hand, if you want to "win" you have to WANT to win.

And then, there's guts. I don't know about you, but I find that I achieve some of my biggest gains when I finally get guts. When I finally figure out that I can hurt big time and feel like I'm going to explode, and still keep going, it's as if I cross a threshold of performance. Don't get me wrong, I think triathletes are some of the toughest nuts around. But we've all been there, haven't we? "My nutrion was off, I was afraid I was going to bonk, my legs were cramping, my heart rate was soaring, [insert reason here], so I eased up a little to make sure I could finish." Remember Tim DeBoom running with the kidney stone? If that wasn't a display of guts, I don't know what is. And every year at the Tour de France, one or more cyclists seem to be riding with a broken something. I'm just not sure I could pull that off. Truly, in my heart of hearts, more than genetics, this is what I think separates the greats from the rest of us.

2007-05-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: #814982

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 9:29 AM

Anyone can qualify for Boston, but they need to put in the training. I don't think there's a person out there who can't physically accomplish that, barring physical disabilities.

Long, hard, and smart by who's standards?  Maybe their training isn't smart for them.  Maybe they need to train more, or in a different fashion. 

Primarily Pfitzinger and Douglas. Some of them have been personally coached by qualified individuals.

But I'm not the one making the generalization. Can you support your statement?

Edited by the bear 2007-05-24 9:36 AM
2007-05-24 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Intersting thread some good discussions on both sides of this question. My experience and thoughts ... I am from a non-athletic background aside from recreational biking and some canoeing hiking. started Tri's 2 years ago and have seen steady improvement, more when I train more/consistently but a big piece and I have not seen it covered here is technique! my breakthroughs in the past 2 years have come through understanding how to train better, how to run (technique) faster, how to work cadence etc on the bike and how to swim smoother. I have taken a minute off my avg time/km and seen improvements in biking and swimming. with no change in my bike/gear I went from 207/280 on the bike to 15/283 (same race 1.5 years apart), I have made big improvements and know i still have more in me and more to learn about how to be faster. I am very competative and have not accepted that I am slow I was convinced there had to be a way to be faster. Now it is not without its price, more hours training, injury I hurt my knee when I changed my running style to get more speed spent months in physio but now I am faster and know I have not hit the top of my range yet. I think elite status will be determined by genes/training (not just anyone can become a Popov) but for the rest of us I think it is more limited by attitude and desire/willingness to pay the price, I was slow and am still not really fast but I am determined to place in my AG (45-49 ) and eventually do Kona....
2007-05-24 9:38 AM
in reply to: #814999

User image

Runner

Perhaps Pfitzinger and Douglas weren't the best options for those people.  There are other training plans, and coaches, and advice.

Bear, I know what you're saying.  And for some it's more of a struggle.  So that would be quite the argument that no matter what level of training and dedication you have, if you don't have the physical attributes necessary, then you are where you are, and that's it.

2007-05-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: #815015

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 9:38 AM

Perhaps Pfitzinger and Douglas weren't the best options for those people.  There are other training plans, and coaches, and advice.

Bear, I know what you're saying.  And for some it's more of a struggle.  So that would be quite the argument that no matter what level of training and dedication you have, if you don't have the physical attributes necessary, then you are where you are, and that's it.

Exactly what I'm saying. You and Rick have a "gifted" perspective, and can arbitrarily throw out statements like a low 6m/m pace or a BQ is available to anyone, but it is nothing more than a skewed view of things. Again, there are folks out there that would laugh at your paltry efforts and say you aren't working hard or smart enough, or not training with the best plan for you.

2007-05-24 9:46 AM
in reply to: #814974

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

I've been around enough people who have been training long, hard, and smart toward that goal to know that this isn't so. Again, if you have objective evidence to support that statement, I'd love to see it.

I think the fallacy in saying that "anyone can qualify for Boston" is exposed if you substitute "the Olympics" for "Boston."  Logically, if we are all genetically equal and the only barrier to reaching goals like Kona/Boston/the Olympics is the level and quality of training, then in theory, everyone ought to be able to qualify for anything.

Which seems like nonsense to me... so I think that the original premise, that anyone can qualify for Boston, is false. 

On the other hand... going backwards... if you substitute "finish a 5K" for Boston above, that kind of blows my argument out of the water. 

Oh well... I think that everyone has their own "it," the level they could reach, and it is different for everyone. 

2007-05-24 9:46 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

In HS and college, I was on the cross country team. 

Again, those with some real "it" to challenge for top-10% regularly don't even realize they have "it" and unwittingly make my argument for me.  Dan, be proud of what you've accomplished and your hard hard work.  But, please correct me if I'm wrong, they don't just let any old hack walk into the cross country team in college, for x-sake.  Trust me, had I walked in they'd have offered me a clipboard and stop watch, at best.  Having the ability to be on a college cross country team is way outside the scope of wanna-be's like me.

edited to add:  I hope once again I am clear that "it" still needs hard work.  Daremo, Dan, Jeepfleeb and other competitive folks work d$mn hard and deserve what they accomplish.  They work harder than most.  But, I still argue they have talent and that is PART of the reason they can rise to the top, and I LIKELY won't, or it will be a slowww slow climb up the ladder.

Edited by morey1 2007-05-24 9:49 AM
2007-05-24 9:47 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Interesting to see the creator (on BT at least) of RIDE LOTS taking the con argument of this discussion.

2007-05-24 9:49 AM
in reply to: #815034

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Daremo - 2007-05-24 9:47 AM

Interesting to see the creator (on BT at least) of RIDE LOTS taking the con argument of this discussion.

Not at all contradictory. I have no doubt that hard work, starting with volume, is what is needed to reach your potential. Again, I define "it," in this context, as where exactly that potential lies. "It" is why you can run 200 miles per week and earn a 3:12 while someone else can run a 2:30 on a mere 90MPW.

Edited by the bear 2007-05-24 9:52 AM
2007-05-24 9:50 AM
in reply to: #815022

User image

Runner

Which is really a big part of the debate, isn't it?  Are we training in the most optimal way for ourselves, or not?  Are we really maximizing our abilities, or are we selling ourselves short?

I hardly call myself gifted in any sense.  I picked Boston because it is based on time, not as much on competition against others.  And I think that even with the proper training and right attitude, you can still have a bad race and not meet the goal.  There's a number of factors that go into it, and I think that's really the point.  I don't deny that genetics plays a part in ability.  I think that training, and mental ability do as well.

2007-05-24 9:53 AM
in reply to: #815029

User image

Runner

Qualifying for the Olympics would tend towards the elite level, and is based on time as well as placement against other runners.  Qualifying for Boston does not necessarily make you an elite runner, or even a top AGer.  It's also not based on your ability to beat other in your division, only a time goal.

2007-05-24 9:58 AM
in reply to: #815032

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
morey1 - 2007-05-24 10:46 AM

In HS and college, I was on the cross country team. 

Again, those with some real "it" to challenge for top-10% regularly don't even realize they have "it" and unwittingly make my argument for me.  Dan, be proud of what you've accomplished and your hard hard work.  But, please correct me if I'm wrong, they don't just let any old hack walk into the cross country team in college, for x-sake.  Trust me, had I walked in they'd have offered me a clipboard and stop watch, at best.  Having the ability to be on a college cross country team is way outside the scope of wanna-be's like me.

edited to add:  I hope once again I am clear that "it" still needs hard work.  Daremo, Dan, Jeepfleeb and other competitive folks work d$mn hard and deserve what they accomplish.  They work harder than most.  But, I still argue they have talent and that is PART of the reason they can rise to the top, and I LIKELY won't, or it will be a slowww slow climb up the ladder.

Morey1,

Actually, I did walk onto the Cross Country team.  I wanted to get back in shape for ROTC so I asked the coach if I could train with them.  He said yes and then he gave me a uniform.  but I see your point.  I tried the same thing when I transferred to Ga Tech and they laughed at me.  So I played v-ball instead.

I was trying to compare the level that I was at in HS and College (high, but not top 10%) to now where I am generally top 10%.  The difference was hard work.  That's the comparison I was trying to make.  I wish I ran like I do now in HS or college.

I do thank you for saying I have talent.  But so do you, never forget that.

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I think we all agree that reaching an elite level DOES requires talent/genetics/It or whatever we should call it + lots of hard work so it is pointless to bring that up to the discussion.

But in gist of the OP he was talking about top AGers and I think it is what JK, Daremo, etc and I are making reference; to the type of fitness required to bring you close to the top 10% of your AG. Those who believe to be doomed to be BOP will stay there IMO cuz they don’t want to do the work and/or have the time to make IT happen.

Let’s take The Bear as an example; as far as I know you started tri-ing a few years ago (3-4) and your background wasn’t all that active. Now you place top in your AG and are among the few BTers able to ride 24+ mph on sprints/Olys. The questions is, do you just have IT or does riding LOTS (400+ Mi a month) helped you get there? And we find many examples of that in BT all the time. I guy I am coaching ran his 1st marathon in 5:25 hrs and his 2nd in 5:20hrs. 3 years later he BQ by running 3:09 hrs. Does he have IT or does the training he did every year plus the intense work we did for the past 6 months (build to 200 Mi a month) helped?

All I am saying is that for most of us around here the sky is the limit and the biggest limiter to reach our athletic goals is our mind. If we REALLY want to we CAN improve LOTS our triathlon performance. The question is: are we willing to do all the hard work and be patient enough until it happens or do we have other life priorities and becoming fast at races is not that important?

Edited by amiine 2007-05-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: #815047

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 10:53 AM

Qualifying for the Olympics would tend towards the elite level, and is based on time as well as placement against other runners. Qualifying for Boston does not necessarily make you an elite runner, or even a top AGer. It's also not based on your ability to beat other in your division, only a time goal.

true... but there is some time that one would need to post to achieve that placement, so at the end of the day, it is still a time thing.  You just don't know what it is before the race.   

2007-05-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: #815063

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
newLeaf - 2007-05-24 9:58 AM
Scout7 - 2007-05-24 10:53 AM

Qualifying for the Olympics would tend towards the elite level, and is based on time as well as placement against other runners. Qualifying for Boston does not necessarily make you an elite runner, or even a top AGer. It's also not based on your ability to beat other in your division, only a time goal.

true... but there is some time that one would need to post to achieve that placement, so at the end of the day, it is still a time thing.  You just don't know what it is before the race.   

C'mon.  The Olympics have "elite" qualifying standards.  Boston has "mass" qualifying standards.  There's no comparison.  Look at the average pace you need to run to BQ.  Mine is 7:26/mi.  That's simply not fast by running standards.  It's not easy to do for many people.  But it doesn't require much natural talent.

2007-05-24 10:09 AM
in reply to: #815059

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
amiine - 2007-05-24 9:58 AM

I think we all agree that reaching an elite level DOES requires talent/genetics/It or whatever we should call it + lots of hard work so it is pointless to bring that up to the discussion.

But in gist of the OP he was talking about top AGers and I think it is what JK, Daremo, etc and I are making reference; to the type of fitness required to bring you close to the top 10% of your AG. Those who believe to be doomed to be BOP will stay there IMO cuz they don’t want to do the work and/or have the time to make IT happen.

Let’s take The Bear as an example; as far as I know you started tri-ing a few years ago (3-4) and your background wasn’t all that active. Now you place top in your AG and are among the few BTers able to ride 24+ mph on sprints/Olys. The questions is, do you just have IT or does riding LOTS (400+ Mi a month) helped you get there? And we find many examples of that in BT all the time. I guy I am coaching ran his 1st marathon in 5:25 hrs and his 2nd in 5:20hrs. 3 years later he BQ by running 3:09 hrs. Does he have IT or does the training he did every year plus the intense work we did for the past 6 months (build to 200 Mi a month) helped?

All I am saying is that for most of us around here the sky is the limit and the biggest limiter to reach our athletic goals is our mind. If we REALLY want to we CAN improve LOTS our triathlon performance. The question is: are we willing to do all the hard work and be patient enough until it happens or do we have other life priorities and becoming fast at races is not that important?

AWESOME!!!!  Congrats to your client.  This is the post the OP was probably looking for in the first place.  An inspriational story of a MOPer made good.

2007-05-24 10:12 AM
in reply to: #815086

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
JohnnyKay - 2007-05-24 10:07 AM

C'mon.  The Olympics have "elite" qualifying standards.  Boston has "mass" qualifying standards.  There's no comparison.  Look at the average pace you need to run to BQ.  Mine is 7:26/mi.  That's simply not fast by running standards.  It's not easy to do for many people.  But it doesn't require much natural talent.

To run a single mile at 7:26, I agree, doesn't require much natural talent. To have the running efficiency, biomechanics, fueling and aerobic capacity to hold that pace for 26 and 2 does.

2007-05-24 10:16 AM
in reply to: #815100

User image

Runner
the bear - 2007-05-24 11:12 AM

C'mon. The Olympics have "elite" qualifying standards. Boston has "mass" qualifying standards. There's no comparison. Look at the average pace you need to run to BQ. Mine is 7:26/mi. That's simply not fast by running standards. It's not easy to do for many people. But it doesn't require much natural talent.

To run a single mile at 7:26, I agree, doesn't require much natural talent. To have the running efficiency, biomechanics, fueling and aerobic capacity to hold that pace for 26 and 2 does.

Well, there's at least 20,348 highly talented runners out there, since that's the total number of finishers from this year.  The number of actual entrants was even higher.

2007-05-24 10:17 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

I'm sorry, holding that pace for 3+hours is fast.  Using McMillian we could back that down to some amazing times in shorter races.  It would require a lot of natural talent to train injury free to the level required to sustain that pace.  You say "It's not easy" so I'm not disagreeing or arguing with you, but I think it's very fast by running standards.

Edited by morey1 2007-05-24 10:17 AM
2007-05-24 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
\C'mon.  The Olympics have "elite" qualifying standards.  Boston has "mass" qualifying standards.  There's no comparison.  Look at the average pace you need to run to BQ.  Mine is 7:26/mi.  That's simply not fast by running standards.  It's not easy to do for many people.  But it doesn't require much natural talent.

You really think that's within grasp of your everyman athlete as long as they put in the time and effort?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  

of 8